2012 AF HPSP Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
congrats everyone on getting scholarships!
I have a quick question for you guys.
I'm in class of 2016 and I finally made up my mind to apply for AF HPSP for next cycle (I know its super early).

what are most important factors of getting scholarships? GPA/DAT? Essay? or Strong Recruiter letter?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I'm in class of 2016 and I finally made up my mind to apply for AF HPSP for next cycle (I know its super early).

what are most important factors of getting scholarships? GPA/DAT? Essay? or Strong Recruiter letter?

Thanks
All of the above. I don't mean that as a snide remark, but it's true. right now the people getting AF scholarships are at the top of their game in every aspect.

Thanks

You are not early. You should apply for a 4yr scholarship now, and be put on the waiting list for the 3yr. This way you will be on the top of the list for the 3yr next cycle when it opens up.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks

Are you saying you graduate from undergrad in 2016 or dental school 2016?

I would say definitely all of these things, DAT, GPA, Essay, Recommendation Letters, are all in important. Other things to consider are your extracurriculars. I would say my scores are decent but I've worked full time the majority of my college career on top of shadowing, volunteering, and other school stuff. The Commander who interviewed me was very impressed that I've worked so much and we had a great conversation discussing that. I think the interview and my extracurriculars along with somewhat above average scores got me the scholarship.

Are you saying you graduate from undergrad in 2016 or dental school 2016?

I know this is probably a dumb question but I am confused as to why you are saying you are super early if you are graduating dental school 2016. Those of us who have received the 4-year scholarship are all class of 2016.

Placed on the wait list for the 3-year scholarship at position # 10 :( Recruiter said there is a slight chance I'd still get selected, but if not I'd be in the running for a 2-year.

DAT: 22AA 21TS 24PAT GPA: 3.95 (No BS though)
UOP CO 2015

Man, those are some damn stats.

I know this is probably a dumb question but I am confused as to why you are saying you are super early if you are graduating dental school 2016. Those of us who have received the 4-year scholarship are all class of 2016.
thanks for the advice. I'll be graduating from dental school in 2016. I read somewhere saying that AF HPSP are so competitive so you have to apply around summer whereas Navy and Army HPSP are okay as long as you apply before Dec.
I want to apply for 2 or 3 year one so I thought that I was doing a head start since Scholarship for 2013-2014 has not started yet.

Has anyone out there actually been selected for the Air Force three year scholarship this year? A previous post mentioned he was 10th on the waiting list but I have yet to hear back from my recruiter on the results of the recent board and would like to know if someone has actually received the 3 year scholarship this year.

I'm pretty sure the 3 yr scholarships (for D1s currently in dental school) were awarded in Nov/Dec, at least that's what I interpreted from this thread: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=871312&highlight=air+force+3+year

I think the guy who said he was waitlisted for the 3 yr actually applied for the 4 yr scholarship, but because he's going to UOP, it would only be for 3 years, if that makes any sense. You should be applying for the 3-year scholarship the summer before you start d-school.

So I am deciding to attend a dental school where I am being offered a scholarship that will refuge all tuition and fees. Do you think the committee will reconsider me since I don't really need any money. (just the stipend, so it's not like i'm really taking away that much from their granted budget). I tried to ask my recruiter and he told me that nobody has asked that from his knowledge so he doesn't really know what would happen in that case. I'm already on the alternate list for the 4-year and my recruiter told me to just wait to reapply for the 3-year but the person above me, who has great stats and still didn't get the 3-year, is sort of a realization that nothing is guaranteed, which is why I'm trying to push it this year before it is forgotten. If anyone knows somebody I can talk to or email, please do share. It will be greatly appreciated.