2012-2013 Virginia Commonwealth University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Where is this quote from? Was this your status update?

It's from the log-in page. It updated a few hours after we all checked our statuses.

EDIT: Oops, didn't see that someone already responded to your question.

maybe since it's the last round of acceptances, VCU wants to see whose already been accepted and who hasn't and they'll make decisions accordingly on tuesday?

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe since it's the last round of acceptances, VCU wants to see whose already been accepted and who hasn't and they'll make decisions accordingly on tuesday?

I dont think so...i think the only thing that matters in our priority score. Might have just been a computer glitch. I hope they send an email explaining what happened!

Is there anyone who did NOT get a post interview waitlist or rejection notification this past Friday night?

I too would like to know if anyone did not receive a notification......

Were all of Friday's rejections PRE-interview????

If so, they could've just wait listed everyone who interviewed so we shoudl expect rejections and acceptances at a later date?

Were all of Friday's rejections PRE-interview????

If so, they could've just wait listed everyone who interviewed so we shoudl expect rejections and acceptances at a later date?

Nope, I saw a few rejections from people who interviewed.

it just seems so odd to me that nobody got an acceptance. Is there anybody still on hold????? It really doesn't seem that way from the responses on this thread, especially since it's typically such an active thread. really makes me wonder...

It makes sense. They will release the acceptances on Tuesday March 19th and the wait list on Thursday March 21st. Those who got the alternate list form might be the ones that will be used to determine who still wants to go on the wait list so they have to send it early so people can figure out what they want.

I just hope I'm wrong.

it just seems so odd to me that nobody got an acceptance. Is there anybody still on hold????? It really doesn't seem that way from the responses on this thread, especially since it's typically such an active thread. really makes me wonder...

No the part that doesn't make sense is that NO one(yet) has reported they are on hold without having their status changed to either alternate list or rejected. If no one is on hold anymore then no one can be accepted on Tuesday. There is a chance that there is a small number of people with only holds and they just haven't posted on the forums. Which makes sense.

It makes sense. They will release the acceptances on Tuesday March 19th and the wait list on Thursday March 21st. Those who got the alternate list form might be the ones that will be used to determine who still wants to go on the wait list so they have to send it early so people can figure out what they want.

I just hope I'm wrong.

It's just weird that they would form a wait list to then form another one Thursday you know?

Members don't see this ad :)
Well from their log-in page it says that invitations for the alternate list were suppose to go out on the 21st. Which is what many people got this past Friday since you have to RSVP and confirm that you want to be on the list.

Im just really hoping that was an accident or default in the system and some people who got the alternate list update will get acceptances tomorrow. That would be amazing! But its possible some people still have a hold status..

Just spoke with admissions.

Everyone either got placed on the wait list or rejected. They will make 50 offers tomorrow night form the wait list.

No other wait list will be formed thursday since all the rejections already took place.

Guess those are good news! Good luck everyone!

Everyone either got placed on the wait list or rejected. They will make 50 offers tomorrow night form the wait list.

No other wait list will be formed thursday since all the rejections already took place.

This is exactly what I thought would happen.

The good news is that everyone "waitlisted" has a chance of being accepted tomorrow! I bet that makes you all feel a lot better.

Thank you SO much for sharing this information! It is much appreciated!

QUOTE=member2017;13818191]Just spoke with admissions.

Guess those are good news! Good luck everyone![/QUOTE]

Thanks for sharing this information! Should we (if currently 'waitlisted') go ahead and accept the offer to be on the alternate list, then? Or should we just wait for tomorrow? Just not sure if we're supposed to accept the alternate status...thank you!!

QUOTE=member2017;13818191]Just spoke with admissions.

Thanks for sharing this information! Should we (if currently 'waitlisted') go ahead and accept the offer to be on the alternate list, then? Or should we just wait for tomorrow? Just not sure if we're supposed to accept the alternate status...thank you!![/QUOTE]

If you are serious about attending VCU, if I was you then I would accept the alternate list ASAP. It isn't like they were going to accept you (because they already know who they are going to accept) and then saw that you accepted being on the alternate list and then retract the offer.

I assumed that either way filling out the form is a good Idea- it lets them know you remain interested in the school.

Someone earlier commented that if they were waitlisting everyone not rejected (now seems that is what has happened) then they might give the last few acceptances to people who do not already hold an acceptance elsewhere. I don't expect it would affect the outstanding applicants at all, but those on the edge of the accepted pool might be differentiated in this way. All just theoretically a possible tool for them.

Good luck to all those hearing back tomorrow!!

Congrats to the Class of 2013 for matching, does anyone have the match list?

I assumed that either way filling out the form is a good Idea- it lets them know you remain interested in the school.

Someone earlier commented that if they were waitlisting everyone not rejected (now seems that is what has happened) then they might give the last few acceptances to people who do not already hold an acceptance elsewhere. I don't expect it would affect the outstanding applicants at all, but those on the edge of the accepted pool might be differentiated in this way. All just theoretically a possible tool for them.

My guess is it will determine how many offers they make tomorrow- ie if most of the people they make offers to dont have any other acceptances, then they will be more conservative on making offers, so they dont over enroll the class.

They have the priority score thing in place already, so I dont know why they would get rid of it now...

Thanks for sharing with us... Appreciated

My guess is it will determine how many offers they make tomorrow- ie if most of the people they make offers to dont have any other acceptances, then they will be more conservative on making offers, so they dont over enroll the class.

They have the priority score thing in place already, so I dont know why they would get rid of it now...
According to AAMC, schools can see where each applicant is accepted in March. Therefore it's neither like we are revealing a big secret nor it's a personal question !!!! schools have the right to know this (my interviewer explicitly asked me this). VCU can see if we are accepted somewhere else without asking us. Therefore it shouldn't be a big deal. I agree that this doesn't affect majority of waitlisters and it is in place to make sure they don't over enrol

Last edited:

I agree! I don't think being accepted to other schools will affect if you get an acceptance Tom. After all, they want to accept those with the higher priority scores regardless of your other offers

I still don't really understand what's going on. :( So if we get this message below, does this mean that we will either be rejected or placed on the waitlist, or do we still have a chance tomorrow for an acceptance?

Here is the information that you have been anxiously awaiting. While we regret that we are unable to offer you a place in the class immediately, we are pleased to advise you that you have been placed on our alternate list. PLEASE READ THE ENTIRE EMAIL, YOU WILL NEED TO RESPOND POSITIVELY TO BE ON THE WAIT LIST. We do anticipate withdrawals from the class over the next several months with the peak coming around May 15, when candidates holding multiple acceptances are asked to send their final acceptance to the schools. As you know, we do not give out any details on your rank on the list. Be assured we will notify you immediately when we are able to offer you an acceptance. In the event that we do not have sufficient withdrawals to be able to offer you a seat you will be notified immediately after our orientation, which is mid-August.

We found you to be a relatively strong candidate and that the large applicant pool is the primary reason that we are unable to make an offer at this time. If you are not accepted elsewhere, you should apply early this next summer even if you still remain on our alternate list. If you wait for final notification from us, it will put you at a disadvantage for the following year. Reapplication should occur only after consideration and consultation of how to strengthen your profile.

I still don't really understand what's going on. :( So if we get this message below, does this mean that we will either be rejected or placed on the waitlist, or do we still have a chance tomorrow for an acceptance?

It's a mess. What i think happened was that since they are moving offices there was some sort of computer problem that caused everyone below a certain priority score to get rejected and everyone else on the list to get a waitlist email. I DO NOT think this was their plan, but now that it happened, I think their approach is going to be just to pull 50ish poeple off the waitlist list.

TL;DR - yes you have a chance tomorrow for an acceptance.

If you are serious about attending VCU, if I was you then I would accept the alternate list ASAP. It isn't like they were going to accept you (because they already know who they are going to accept) and then saw that you accepted being on the alternate list and then retract the offer.

I'm a little confused -- perhaps I'm misunderstanding this, but it was my impression that they were taking 50 off of the alternate list tomorrow because everyone who wasn't rejected was "waitlisted". So those who received the waitlist email Friday would be considered for one of those 50 spots...and the status update will be sent to them tomorrow evening. If they don't get the status update tomorrow evening, they're still on the waitlist. At least that's my impression of this situation...
anyone else?

I'm a little confused -- perhaps I'm misunderstanding this, but it was my impression that they were taking 50 off of the alternate list tomorrow because everyone who wasn't rejected was "waitlisted". So those who received the waitlist email Friday would be considered for one of those 50 spots...and the status update will be sent to them tomorrow evening. If they don't get the status update tomorrow evening, they're still on the waitlist. At least that's my impression of this situation...
anyone else?

That's how I'm taking it. Tomorrow, 3/19, I will either be accepted by VCU or I will merely remain on their alternate list, to hopefully be accepted soon.

I didn't hear back the last two times, and I probably won't hear anything tomorrow. :(

But at least there's a small hope now.

Yea, same here. It sucks so much waiting and waiting and just hoping you'd get in

Agreed! :( I just don't even know what to expect anymore. Waitlisted at EVMS as well; haven't been accepted anywhere :-(.

Is there actually a specific time they are supposed to go out? Or is everyone just assuming evening to be around 6ish EST?

The message from March 5 on the status page log-in screen says: "March offers will fill the class, they will be made March 19th and will upload after 6pm which is when you will be notified."

Has anyone else confirmed this or are we basing our hopes for hearing tonight only on this one person?

Has anyone else confirmed this or are we basing our hopes for hearing tonight only on this one person?

I see no intention that this one person wants to lie.
Moreover what he said is consistent with what we see (everybody got either rejected or waitlisted) and what is written on vcu website.

P.S: Six !

Last edited:

I also called the office and they told me the same thing (approx 50 offers today from the alternate list, etc).

I also called the office and they told me the same thing (approx 50 offers today from the alternate list, etc).
Hope confirmed then: Good luck to all of us neurotically checking SDN!

If accepted, do we receive and email with the acceptance information or do we just get that classic VCU status change email?

Just worried and wasn't sure what to expect come 6pm if good news or bad news

If accepted, do we receive and email with the acceptance information or do we just get that classic VCU status change email?

Just worried and wasn't sure what to expect come 6pm if good news or bad news

I got a status change email when accepted a few months ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.