2012-2013 Rays/Prelim Rejects Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
You may go to a no-name med school. They tend to want students from top schools.

I know a few people got rejection emails from Northwestern this week who are applying in to EM, IM, and Rads (me). I thought it was my school, but apparently NW accepted 2 students last year into IM and Rads. Too difficult to predict what goes on in the minds of the PDs

Members don't see this ad.

Ha, me too buddy. I got the rads interview, which I was really excited about, but got the prelim rejection today. I've got a few prelim/TY interviews, but I'm starting to get more anxious about that match than the radiology match haha. In hindsight, I wish I had maybe applied to more prelim years in less competitive places... the whole "prelim years are not hard to get" is true, but probably should have diversified a bit. Oh well.

The competitive TYs are definitely harder to get into than all but the most competitive rads programs.

I wouldn't do a prelim, you're going to get killed and will probably learn less.

Waitlist from Loyola. Not sure how I got Northwestern and UChicago interviews but not one from them... o well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlist from Loyola. Not sure how I got Northwestern and UChicago interviews but not one from them... o well.

Same with the waitlist. But considering that they sent out rejections as well, a waitlist from Loyola has got to mean something, right?

Also, what the heck is up with these prelim medicine rejections? My application must be screaming out something about me being an awesome potential radiologist but horrible with patient contact or something.

Wait listed at Medical college of Wisconsin

i wonder if not getting a MSSM or columbia invite is an automatic rejection or if there is still hope.

i wonder if not getting a MSSM or columbia invite is an automatic rejection or if there is still hope.

I sure hope not. Let's hope that the storm causes a glitch in the electronic system and mixes up application statuses.

Today was really quiet for me. I chose to believe it was because of the storm.

The competitive TYs are definitely harder to get into than all but the most competitive rads programs.

I wouldn't do a prelim, you're going to get killed and will probably learn less.

There is no reason to do prelim med at an academic place. Prelim med at a community place can be decent but it varies a lot. Some comm prelims are probably easier than the TY I'm at but location was a huge factor for me.

Iowa rejection today. I was really interested in them, but c'est la vie.

At least I got an interview I'm stoked about today as well.

i have had noa ccess to my school email since monday night. i sure hope i am not missing any interview invites....

It depends where your apps were focused. The east coast seems to be really quiet this past week. I was quite surprised to get my interview offer today with all that is going on.

That seems beyond stressful though. Are the campus servers down?

i have had noa ccess to my school email since monday night. i sure hope i am not missing any interview invites....

Don't forget you can always check the message center on ERAS

Members don't see this ad :)
yes! checked the mesage center on ERAS. thanks guys!! so happy its there!

It was worded it like there was still a possibility I might be offered an interview (waitlist-ish) but the word "waitlist" wasn't used and I am doubtful that anything will materialize.

It was worded it like there was still a possibility I might be offered an interview (waitlist-ish) but the word "waitlist" wasn't used and I am doubtful that anything will materialize.
oh hey me too! lol. sucks but whatever

Actual rejection from U of WI

out of curiosity, how was yours worded?
What I received had this lovely phrase "Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you an
interview at this time," that AlexMorph and Tras alluded to. I'm not exactly expecting anything to change from them in the future, but i guess i would be a little more optimistic about it if there was another one that was basically, "Sorry thanks for playing."

i'm actually pretty disappointed by that one. Was very interested in that program. Oh well

out of curiosity, how was yours worded?
What I received had this lovely phrase "Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you an
interview at this time," that AlexMorph and Tras alluded to. I'm not exactly expecting anything to change from them in the future, but i guess i would be a little more optimistic about it if there was another one that was basically, "Sorry thanks for playing."

i'm actually pretty disappointed by that one. Was very interested in that program. Oh well
pretty sure browser got the same thing as we did. random process for sure

Ditto. I got the same message as well.

Thank you for your interest ... Unfortunately, we are unable to offer you an
interview at this time.....

Call me crazy, but I have a theory. People who got UWisc got rejected from MCW and vice versa..anybody out there got both?

Call me crazy, but I have a theory. People who got UWisc got rejected from MCW and vice versa..anybody out there got both?
Lol, I'm pretty sure there are plenty of people from Wisconsin who got both. Not that I have any proof...

i got rejected from both. well, sort of. actual waitlist at MCW

lol I'm sure but then it's not best idea to include people from Wisconsin. I am just basing this theory off of my own situation. I also sense a similar thing going on between Rush and loyola - in fact know a bunch of people who got one or other, but not both..

lol I'm sure but then it's not best idea to include people from Wisconsin. I am just basing this theory off of my own situation. I also sense a similar thing going on between Rush and loyola - in fact know a bunch of people who got one or other, but not both..

this makes me laugh, because like i said, rejected from both wisconsin programs but was invited by both rush and loyola. whatever. this whole process makes 0 sense to me

this makes me laugh, because like i said, rejected from both wisconsin programs but was invited by both rush and loyola. whatever. this whole process makes 0 sense to me

LOL! thanks for disproving both of my theories. Jeez! UW > MCW.

The four Midwestern programs you're discussing are very different. UW is a heavily research oriented program and MCW is a heavily IR oriented program. Rush/Loyola are decent clinical programs but not in the same class as the WI ones.

Drizz do you have any insight into the phrasing of these rejection letters? I'm approaching them with the mindset that unless it specifically says wait list (like MCW) you're rejected, and the soft language (at this time) is just to be somewhat politically correct, rather than leaving open the possibility for a future invite?

Drizz do you have any insight into the phrasing of these rejection letters? I'm approaching them with the mindset that unless it specifically says wait list (like MCW) you're rejected, and the soft language (at this time) is just to be somewhat politically correct, rather than leaving open the possibility for a future invite?
I've found programs to be pretty straightforward about waitlist/rejection. If they put you on the waitlist, they explicitly use the word.

Speaking of waitlists...has anyone gotten a waitlist/rejection from UTSW?

That's about right. Wait lists do occasionally become invites (had one come thru last year) but not often.

rush and loyola here too... and mcw but no word from uwi. i'm from the midwest but neither of those states. seems like most people either got interviews or soft rejections from uwi. still silence here though..

The four Midwestern programs you're discussing are very different. UW is a heavily research oriented program and MCW is a heavily IR oriented program. Rush/Loyola are decent clinical programs but not in the same class as the WI ones.

drizz can u elaborate on why you say rush/loyola aren't in the same class as the wi programs? i haven't heard a lot of inof about any of them so just wondering what info you have. thanks

drizz can u elaborate on why you say rush/loyola aren't in the same class as the wi programs? i haven't heard a lot of inof about any of them so just wondering what info you have. thanks

Wisconsin is one of the research powerhouse programs. It has the #2 medical physics department in the country and has extremely strong ties with GE. Their faculty are leaders in mri/mra and have top researchers in every sub-section. Its AI department is top 3 and is also extremely strong in neuro and msk. Its only weakness may be vascular IR/IO but they just hired a new faculty member from Hopkins who trained under geschwind.

MCW is an IR powerhouse. Their department is incredibly strong and even does things like coronary stents, endovascular aortic aneurysm repairs, etc. they recently hired a new IR attending from Penn so they're attracting top young faculty.

Rush and Loyola are fine programs but they don't have top departments in any area; their bigger selling points are location for Chicago residents. They're solid mid-tier places in good locations.

I got the nicest rejection letter from Spartanburg.

I got the nicest rejection letter from Spartanburg.

I forwarded the rejection from them to my dad and gf. It was the most well written rejection ever. When I was done reading it, they almost made ME feel sorry for them not giving me an interview.

First line was,

"This is an apology for not inviting you for an interview."

Officially rejected from U Chicago

Southern Illinois University

Same here for Chicago.
Also, UC-Davis.

Received one this morning from IU..as expected!