2012-2013 Rays/Prelim Rejects Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

greg1184

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Now lets talk about who failed to give you love. Same method as the other thread.

Florida

Orlando Health (Prelim) - Rejected 9/24

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Florida

Tennessee

Vanderbilt (Radiology) - Rejected 10/10

Members don't see this ad :)
Another no-no from Vandy "at this time".

I too can join the vandy hate bandwagon

University Hospital of Pennsylvania-rejected 10/11

Florida

Minnesota
Mayo - Rejected 10/12

Tennessee

Vanderbilt (Radiology) - Rejected 10/10[/QUOTE]

Mayo an UPenn here too. A little humbling is good every now and then I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone with step 1 and/or step 2 score over 260 get rejected from UPenn and Mayo?

Did anyone with step 1 and/or step 2 score over 260 get rejected from UPenn and Mayo?

Sorry, I'm a long time lurker, but never posted here before! I surprisingly heard from them..I have step 1 in 240s, and step 2 in 250s. Decent EC's, minimal research. I guess I just got lucky.

Did you apply to NW? I somehow heard from them today too..I guess it's just my lucky day!

Are you from the Midwest? I am guessing I was weeded out from Mayo because of regional bias.

This process doesn't seem to always make a lot of sense. Don't worry to much if you got rejected at one place because people are probably saying the same thing about places you got interviews at.

Yes - Rejected by Penn. I have a very strong application, but it's likely because I don't have a lot of research. No response from Mayo yet.

Did you apply to NW? I somehow heard from them today too..I guess it's just my lucky day!

Applied to Northwestern. Haven't heard squat. Not from Midwest. But, UPenn doesn't make sense though as it is in northeast. I cannot understand this whatsoever. However, I am from low-tier school.

Last edited:
Seems like a slow day for most of us..

Last edited:
Yes - Rejected by Penn. I have a very strong application, but it's likely because I don't have a lot of research. No response from Mayo yet.

you mean very good numbers? because a very strong application in general esp for academic institution kinda implies good research

Applied to Northwestern. Haven't heard squat. Not from Midwest. But, UPenn doesn't make sense though as it is in northeast. I cannot understand this whatsoever. However, I am from low-tier east coast school.
Weird..

you mean very good numbers? because a very strong application in general esp for academic institution kinda implies good research
Amen

I don't think step scores mean that much to them. I know someone with low 240s and no rads research that wasn't rejected by them when a lot of us were. They weren't extended an invitation so far, though. I go to the same school with a strong application (a lot of rads research plus step scores) and was rejected. There's a lot more to the application process than just those two variables.

Edit:
Especially when you rotated there...

You rotated at Penn? As in a rads externship? They don't have an externship as far as I know...

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think step scores mean that much to them. I know someone with low 240s and no rads research that wasn't rejected by them when a lot of us were. They weren't extended an invitation so far, though. I go to the same school with a strong application (a lot of rads research plus step scores) and was rejected. There's a lot more to the application process than just those two variables.

Edit:

You rotated at Penn? As in a rads externship? They don't have an externship as far as I know...

They definitely have radiology away rotations but its not through VSAS.

I was wondering why I hadn't heard anything from UPenn, then checked my ERAS, then realized that for whatever reason I hadn't submitted an application to them. D'oh :smack:

In other news, rejected from SUNY Upstate today. I didn't expect that one. I'm hoping that it's because my application is too strong for them and not because my application is crap :oops:

They definitely have radiology away rotations but its not through VSAS.

That's interesting because I emailed Pam Piccone, their coordinator, back in February specifically asking that question and she replied they did not offer externships since I couldn't find one in VSAS.

U Pitt rejection. Regional bias is real. Stinks when you see the ERAS email and hope that it is an interview offer and it turns out to be a rejection.

When I broke things down by region last year:

40 total programs: 9 west coast, 10 Midwest, 8 south, 13 east coast

My invites were 7/9 west coast, 8/10 Midwest, 2/8 south, 7/13 east coast.

I had strong connections to the west coast and Midwest and went to UG on the east coast.

Regional factors are huge.

You are always so enthusiastic about posting in this thread. Kudos, man. You have a good attitude about all this.

I suppose it is better to here something than nothing at all. This slump is getting annoying though.

Got the waitlist from Penn today. I'm considering it basically a rejection lol.

Got the waitlist from Penn today. I'm considering it basically a rejection lol.

usually i would say be positive. however, when it comes to admissions in the field of medicine you are right.

Maybe we should start taking biden's approach as laughing it off since this process seems to be a mix of randomness and regional bias.

I've got a mix of regions for interviews and rejections, so who knows.

A lot of the places being accused of regional bias haven't rejected me....yet. It is possible they are just in the ether waiting though.

Rejections: Mayo-Rochester, UPenn and Vandy. Vanderbilt stung the most out of those for me, but I wasn't surprised either. I know it is a crapshoot. So far, this is a much nicer experience for me than applying to medical schools was.

I've got a mix of regions for interviews and rejections, so who knows.

A lot of the places being accused of regional bias haven't rejected me....yet. It is possible they are just in the ether waiting though.

Rejections: Mayo-Rochester, UPenn and Vandy. Vanderbilt stung the most out of those for me, but I wasn't surprised either. I know it is a crapshoot. So far, this is a much nicer experience for me than applying to medical schools was.

Vandy, really?? Mayo stung the most for me. Vandy isn't even close to the other two.

So I got rejected from UAB 3 times:laugh:

Vandy, really?? Mayo stung the most for me. Vandy isn't even close to the other two.

I have friends and family in/near the area and much rather live in Nashville. I knew I didn't stand a chance with Mayo and thought UPenn was unlikely as well. I've said it before, but I want to be at a program that I click with the people the most. Sure, a great reputation is nice but I don't feel like there is a tremendous educational difference between those programs and they all can lead to the same general endpoint.