2012 - 2013 Official Psychology PhD/PsyD Interview Invite thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Since some people are asking about post-interview decisions, figured I'd join in...

Anyone hear from University of Georgia - Clinical PhD program about an admissions decision post-interviews? I saw that someone said they had been rejected on grad cafe after the interviews, so I'd really appreciate any info.

Thanks!!

I was waitlisted via email from my POI within the past 3-4 days. I also met people at other interviews who had received offers from UGA.

Members don't see this ad.

For what it's worth, I had a similar experience and I did contact the POI who was totally fine with it. If that's what they are telling you I do, I would recommend sending an email. They understand how stressful this process is and everyone I've spoken with really wants to be as helpful as they can!
Thanks! I think I'd still prefer to wait, even though maybe I'm being paranoid.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know what is going on with University of Missouri - Columbia? Aside from that email saying they were still looking at apps I have not heard anything.

Still waiting for some interview invites:

PCOM-PsyD
Rutgers-PsyD
UCDenver-PhD (Clin Health Psych)
UNT-PhD (Beh. Med/Clin Psych)
Xavier-PsyD

-haven't received rejections or status updates from the above.

Any updates? Thank you!!!!

Just received an email from my POI at UT-Austin today saying that I made her short-list and she'd like to call me for a phone conversation. I was shocked to get that email so late in the game!

How exactly do short-lists work? Does the phone call basically function as confirmation that they want to invite you for the department interview, or do professors actually narrow down their list after the phone call? Thanks in advance for your input.
Could you please also PM me the POI? I would really appreciate it!

Xavier sent out invites via email in the end of January. The interview is February 22. You could always call and ask, though.

I'm wondering about this too. I received an offer that I may or may not take, but it definitely kicks one school out of the running. Advice?

Anyone know what is going on with University of Missouri - Columbia? Aside from that email saying they were still looking at apps I have not heard anything.

Interviews were held Feb 1st. They were supposed to find out about funding this week and I imagine they will extend offers once they have a better idea regarding total funding situation. Did you interview there?

Has anyone heard from Rochester? They told us/me at the interview that they would let us know by the end of the week (around 2/8) and it's now a week later. However, so far nobody else seems to have received any news, either.

PCOM-PsyD
Rutgers-PsyD
Xavier-PsyD

I was told that UNT (Both Clinical & Clinical Health) has extended all of their invitations a couple of weeks ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told that UNT (Both Clinical & Clinical Health) has extended all of their invitations a couple of weeks ago.

That's what I figured. Still holding out hope until I receive a rejection tho, I've heard people have received rejections already, that's why it's strange.

That's what I figured. Still holding out hope until I receive a rejection tho, I've heard people have received rejections already, that's why it's strange.

Not to dash your hopes, but I've had interview dates come and go and not receive an official rejection letter or email. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for rejection notification protocol. Some get them and some don't. I think it's a little ridiculous that every school doesn't send them when you consider all of the time, work and money that goes into an individual application.

PCOM-PsyD
Rutgers-PsyD
Xavier-PsyD

Someone posted on here earlier that UCDenver reported that they already sent out all of their interview invites :-/

Edit/Deleted.

Last edited:
Anybody hear decisions from UNC Chapel Hill? Saw one post on TGC yesterday.

Thanks and good luck!

Anybody hear decisions from UNC Chapel Hill? Saw one post on TGC yesterday.

Thanks and good luck!

Nothing yet but my POI said he would contact all of us to let us know our status regardless of if we got an offer or not- anxiously waiting:)

I've been waiting for this one:

School Name: Adelphi University
Degree: PhD
Type: Clinical
Date Interview Invite Received: 2/15/2013 1:36 PM
How were you notified: Email
Who notified you: Yvette Corvez (Administrative Assistant)
Interview Date: Feb 27

Has anyone heard anything from the Pace School-Clinical Child PsyD Program? Still waiting to hear and the admissions office gives away no information on interviews or decisions.

What places are people still waiting to hear from?

St. John's University - Clinical
USUHS Civilian and Military Track
North Dakota State University - Clinical Science
Mercer University School of Medicine - Clinical Medical

From my POI

"Thanks for checking in. The invitations have gone out and I am not planning to invite any further applicants."

Mercer University School of Medicine - Clinical Medical

I received an interview from Mercer around the end of January and it is this Friday, February 22nd. They have 2 more interview days in March, so perhaps there is still hope.

I received an interview from Mercer around the end of January and it is this Friday, February 22nd. They have 2 more interview days in March, so perhaps there is still hope.

Yeah, the DCT said they would have another round of invitations going out later. Thanks for the heads up.

Not to dash your hopes, but I've had interview dates come and go and not receive an official rejection letter or email. There seems to be no rhyme or reason for rejection notification protocol. Some get them and some don't. I think it's a little ridiculous that every school doesn't send them when you consider all of the time, work and money that goes into an individual application.

Thanks. Still holding out. Received a rejection from Rutgers officially. Have 2 interviews so far, so I should have a place this year, not complaining! ;)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Out of curiosity, has anyone heard anything back yet from Harvard RE: actual interviews or acceptances? I've heard back from nearly everyone but the Harvard program. :confused:

I emailed my POI for Stony Brook and Harvard asking about the status of my application and whether invitations have been sent out. Stony Brook let me know that all invitations have gone out, although that may just be for my POI, it wasn't clear whether it was for everyone.
My POI at Harvard said that the process has been going more slowly this year than before, and that applicants have not been contacted yet.

I emailed my POI for Stony Brook and Harvard asking about the status of my application and whether invitations have been sent out. Stony Brook let me know that all invitations have gone out, although that may just be for my POI, it wasn't clear whether it was for everyone.
My POI at Harvard said that the process has been going more slowly this year than before, and that applicants have not been contacted yet.

Thanks super much for that information RE: Harvard.

I would be surprised that a school would make an offer without knowing for sure about funding. One school where I interviewed specifically stated they would make offers based on funding; the incoming cohort would certainly be four students, and possibly six or eight (no, not a clinical program), but offers above the four-for-sure would be contingent upon funds being wrangled from the Graduate College, and those offers would not be made if the program coordinator was not absolutely certain about funding.

I think I am thinking more along the lines of interviewing with a prof (who initially said they were accepting students) and post-interview the funding NOT being there to extend an offer to a student that came and interviewed. Are programs not always entirely sure of how many spots they can fill?

Someone in my cohort told me this happened to her, so I guess it's possible.

I think I am thinking more along the lines of interviewing with a prof (who initially said they were accepting students) and post-interview the funding NOT being there to extend an offer to a student that came and interviewed. Are programs not always entirely sure of how many spots they can fill?

I've heard of people receiving interviews with professors that weren't even going to be working at that university the next year. I think that's a worst-case scenario though. It proves that anything can happen!

As of now I'm still waiting on official word from:

University of North Dakota - Clinical
University of South Florida - Clinical
North Dakota State University - Clinical Science
Mercer University - Clinical Medical
Idaho State University - Clinical
USUHS
University of Maine - Clinical
University of Rhode Island - Clinical
St. John's - Clinical
University of Alabama Birmingham - Clinical Medical
University of South Carolina - Clinical Community
University of Texas Southwestern - Clinical
Rutgers - Clinical (Ph.D.)
I heard that Rutger's was sent out 2 weeks ago

Has anyone heard anything from the Pace School-Clinical Child PsyD Program? Still waiting to hear and the admissions office gives away no information on interviews or decisions.

I got a call on Friday. Interviews are on Tuesday and Wednesday 2/19 & 2/20. It seems like the admin assistant had a lot of calls left to make that night and into the weekend. Best of luck!

Has anyone ever had an experience where a professor initially said they could take a student and ended up not being able to due to lack of funding? This happened to me where earlier this year where a prof I emailed in October ended up not being able to take a student because of funding (found out before invites were sent out). Anyone ever have an experience where a prof couldn't take a student post-interview due to funding? Just curious about others' experiences out there...
I haven't had this happen personally yet, but I know that it can. Professors don't always know their funding at the time of interviews, so bring people in if they think they might have funding for a student. (I am describing what I have heard at at programs where grant money from mentors funds the students). They may also think they are going to have a spot open up b/c someone is going on internship, but then doesn't match and might stay on another year....I doubt any of this is common, but certainly possible.

I actually know for a fact that some interviews happened. There is no official day for Harvard everyone is on their own.

Has anyone ever had an experience where a professor initially said they could take a student and ended up not being able to due to lack of funding? This happened to me where earlier this year where a prof I emailed in October ended up not being able to take a student because of funding (found out before invites were sent out). Anyone ever have an experience where a prof couldn't take a student post-interview due to funding? Just curious about others' experiences out there...
I had this happen to me last year and the year before. Quite frankly it happens all the time I think. Politics and funding situations keep lots of students out.

It has happened at my school in the past. Funding was available for 8 students but political mumbo jumbo behind the scenes left it open as to which professor would get someone for their lab. So the profs invited people for interview weekend without even knowing if they were getting someone in their lab.

I saw on TGC that someone had received a rejection from DU via express mail. I wanted to know if this person interviewed or not. Thanks in advance!

I've applied to ten schools and only heard back from two with official rejections... However, the rest of my schools are on the list as already having sent out interview invites. Should I assume I didn't make the cut? Or should I still wait it out? How prompt are rejection letters? I've been operating under the assumption that as long as I haven't heard I didn't make it, then I'm still being considered. Is this accurate? Or just wishful thinking?

I've applied to ten schools and only heard back from two with official rejections... However, the rest of my schools are on the list as already having sent out interview invites. Should I assume I didn't make the cut? Or should I still wait it out? How prompt are rejection letters? I've been operating under the assumption that as long as I haven't heard I didn't make it, then I'm still being considered. Is this accurate? Or just wishful thinking?

It varies by school. Some you will receive fairly quickly, some you will get after they interview and begin accepting (say, in late March and early April), but then I also received a couple of rejections way after April and even after I moved to my Masters program in August!

My suggestion is to contact the schools and see if they know your status. I would either email the person in charge of graduate admissions, the DCT, or your POI. I've had more luck emailing POIs though.

Don't give up hope. The biggest part of making it in graduate school is persistence, so if you didn't make it this year, see if you can find out why and improve on those areas. One of the things my adviser always tells her students that don't move on to PhDs is to find anything at all that will build your CV and give you good experience for the next application season.

Has anyone heard back from Colorado State University? I saw some rejections on GradCafe but I haven't heard of any acceptances. I didn't get an email informing me one way or the other so I'm not sure what that means

did anyone hear any updates from St. John's? anyone??

I'm right there with you! Last year they sent out invites 2/10. I called last week and they said they were still reviewing, this was after i received a flyer in the mail for an event for students (they emailed right away to say it was a mistake and my application was still in review)... did this happen to you?