2011 University of South Florida COP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone received an email with a confirmation and date of the interview? I received an email for interview with many dates to choose from, but did not get a reply yet...

Since there are interviews today, you will probably not receive one today. You should, however, be getting a confirmation email about your interview. You replied to them with all of the dates that you could attend right?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm curious to know what's a good/competitive enough PCAT score to get an interview invite from USF.

ya i also emailed them with my dates for interview but havent received a response yet....

Members don't see this ad :)
Patience! They are apparently having to contact 126 people for interviews, plus make decisions (decisions will be completed after all interviews).

USF Minimum PCAT score is 65, which is similar to UF's minimum. However UF's average PCAT admittance score is 86... As long as your above the minimum your application will be viewed. The higher the better :)

ya i also emailed them with my dates for interview but havent received a response yet....

Just to be sure that they received your email, I would call late Monday or Tuesday if you don't hear back before then.

Just to be sure that they received your email, I would call late Monday or Tuesday if you don't hear back before then.

I received invites to 5 schools via email. When I replied accepting the interview I asked them to reply to my reply to confirm so that I didn't freak out. None of the schools had a problem with it.

Try to think ahead and take as much stress out of the situation as possible.

I have still not received confirmation of my interview date. I was only able to interview on April 4 or 8 so I am assuming they are still putting together these interview sessions and a confirmation email should be sent out shortly. Were you more flexible with your dates? I will call tomorrow morning if I do not receive anything by the end of today. Congrats on the interview invites! Can't wait!

I have still not received confirmation of my interview date. I was only able to interview on April 4 or 8 so I am assuming they are still putting together these interview sessions and a confirmation email should be sent out shortly. Were you more flexible with your dates? I will call tomorrow morning if I do not receive anything by the end of today. Congrats on the interview invites! Can't wait!

I am sure they send out one mass e-mail to all students once all dates are confirmed. They are going to get all of the students availability and then make a schedule that will break up the students evenly over the interview dates.

There is only one person at the school that I know of thus far that is in control of answering emails. That is Jackie Grosser, she is trying to answer as quickly as possible, however its most likely overwhelming.

received my interview confirmation today ....

will be interviewing friday april 1st in the afternoon...

anyone else??

Yup, scheduled in the afternoon session on April Fool's! Received a letter yesterday and just got it confirmed moments ago! It looks like there are three interview sessions left.

great muckdork i look forward to hopefully meeting you on friday.....

have u interviewed anywhere else? interviewed at uf-gainesville this past friday but no where else really so im really hoping this goes well. I feel like I need more practice for this interview since the UF interview was so laid-back i felt.

Grats guys! I know three more people who got interviews as well.

Good luck to everyone.

Dress nicely, and relax, it will be a fun day!

Amox, you were one of the 6 early applicants that were accepted... do they now run the gist of the admission process through you guys, or keep you in the loop?

Also I'm a bit nervous about the response from the program, could you send me a pm on what your credentials and stats were, so I can get an understanding of what they're really looking for?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
Amox, you were one of the 6 early applicants that were accepted... do they now run the gist of the admission process through you guys, or keep you in the loop?

Also I'm a bit nervous about the response from the program, could you send me a pm on what your credentials and stats were, so I can get an understanding of what they're really looking for?

Thanks

Fortunately, I was one of 6 early applicants.

I am aware of the process as I experienced it first hand, however the process was not explained too clearly.

Here is what I know... The process is holistic, meaning they treat every aspect of the application equally. GPA, PCAT, Credits completed, Work Exp, Volunteer, Clubs, Personal Statement, Letters of Recommendation, certifications + more are all viewed equally.

They did say, that it was pointless to have a Tech certification if you never used it. It shows that you only did it to improve your application, however didn't put it to use.

Some of my stats...

4 Years undergrad : AA from CC : 2 Years @ USF
I always took 16+ CR per semester : The 2 years @ USF where ALL SCIENCE, no filler courses. An example (last semester) mimics all my semesters.

Microbio w/ lab
Human Disease
Cell Biology
Anat/Phys 2 w/ lab
Organic Lab

2 Years as a certified tech working in retail

6 months volunteering in a oncology hospital as a tech (some compounding)

PCAT wasn't the best, however significantly above minimum. I will say my Biology was 91, and Chemistry was 88.

PCAT reminded me of something else! If you get a low score in math for example, yet however you've taken math up to calc 3, that shows you can do the math, just were a bit rusty since its been 2 years since you've done the algebra courses.

GPA wasn't the best... I worked 50 hours a week my first two years of college, but! I improved it significantly the past two years. Not going to say what it was.. but it was in the 3.0-3.5 range

GPA reminded me of another thing they look for. For example you get a 2.0 your first two years, but a 3.5-4.0 your next two years, that will show significant improvement. And they will look at the improvement GPA, not the overall GPA.

Letters of Recommendation : 2 Pharmacists : 1 Chemistry Professor : Sociology Professor.

It was actually 3 pharmacists, however 1 letter was written by a husband and wife, both were pharmacists and wrote it together.

Personal statement : Reviewed by pharmacists and peers

I need 5 more classes for my BA, however I wont have it before I matriculate.

Hope this is what you were looking for! Good luck!

For those that interviewed today or any of the other regular interview dates, which session were you in and how many people were interviewed?

I was part of the afternoon session today. There were thirteen people split into two groups.

Hey all,

I interviewed in the afternoon sesh today (april fools :)) for anyone that was there i was the indian gentleman in the pink shirt....

i thought it was a really good and well done presentation and I was very impressed by the foundations and plans that they do have in place. They definitely seem to be on the right track and the opportunities that will be available to the students through the hospitals and CAMLS are once in a lifetime.

However, I also applied to UF and was interviewed last Friday and notified of my acceptance yesterday. I will be attending UF-Gainesville campus in the fall and therefore will be removing my application from the pool on Monday. I think that this is a great program being built and one that will definitely flourish in the Tampa Bay area.

However, one question that I do have and maybe the early acceptance students can shed some light, I know that there was a bit of issue over the facilities and the campus that USF Pharm would be using. From what I know, the FL Legislature set aside money for the USF Pharm Program but only under the condition that it be built into the USF Polytechnic Campus in Lakeland. This was due to the fact that the allocation was part of a larger allocation for a large amount of construction at the USF Poly campus. However this summer, Gov. Crist vetoed this bill, effectively halting construction for the time being on the facilities in Lakeland and from what I know, there still hasn't been any construction on the facilities there as of now.

Now, I know that the USF Pharm program is housed on the main USF campus right now but I was wondering if anyone knew exactly what the plans were for the future? It wouldn't be too much of an issue right now, but the USF Health side of campus is crowded already with Nursing, Public Health and Med Students all using the facilities. By 2014, USF Pharm projects that it should have somewhere between 350-400 students which is a pretty hefty number to add on top.

However, everything else about the school seemed wonderful and doing pharmacy in Tampa would give you access to resources like the CAMLS (those that haven't interviewed will find out what I mean) and the local hospitals. I also think it would be amazing to help develop the curriculum and the program with the school. I feel like USF would help to make sure that you truly get everything that you can out of your years at pharm school.

Anyways, i'm all done with my ramblings.... if anyone has any comments or anything like that please fire away and if anybody could shed some light on the facilities question that would be wonderful too :)

good luck everyone!!!

so PBAU has the option for a joint PharmD/MBA program. I've been talking to PBAU about it, and they take you into the program with minimum requirements.

I called USF about it, and their MBA program requires 2 years or minimum work experience (PBAU does note require this) and a few more buisness courses. And obviously there is no existing joint program at USF.

Does anyone know more about this or whether USF will have the joint option soon? I want to go to USF, but I don't want to miss out an opportunity of getting 2 degrees.

so PBAU has the option for a joint PharmD/MBA program. I've been talking to PBAU about it, and they take you into the program with minimum requirements.

I called USF about it, and their MBA program requires 2 years or minimum work experience (PBAU does note require this) and a few more buisness courses. And obviously there is no existing joint program at USF.

Does anyone know more about this or whether USF will have the joint option soon? I want to go to USF, but I don't want to miss out an opportunity of getting 2 degrees.

USF will not have joint programs for years.

A few extra letters after your name won't change your life that much..

Interviews are over....anyone hear anything yet?

Not yet...From the email they sent out before interviews started, we won't be hearing until the week of april 18th. So the waiting game continues...Good Luck everyone!
:)

PBA-Accepted
USF-Interviewed 3/23

Is it true USF doesn't have pre-candidate status yet? If that's the case, isn't it true that they cannot accept students until they gain that status?

They said at interviews that it had pre-candidate status.

Would you guys really would pick this school over another?? I wanna get ur input. At the interview the school really tempted all of us in my opinion. BUT it's the first class, idk if they'll pound the hammer and make it twice as hard as any other pharmacy school. Hope the program wont be too brutal

The committee is suppose to meet today, good luck everyone!

They said at interviews that it had pre-candidate status.

Would you guys really would pick this school over another?? I wanna get ur input. At the interview the school really tempted all of us in my opinion. BUT it's the first class, idk if they'll pound the hammer and make it twice as hard as any other pharmacy school. Hope the program wont be too brutal

The committee is suppose to meet today, good luck everyone!

I don't think they are eligible for pre-candidate until June. Even says it on their webpage.

"The Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education (ACPE) accredits Doctor of Pharmacy programs offered by Colleges and Schools of Pharmacy in the United States and selected non-US sites. For a Doctor of Pharmacy program offered by a new College or School of Pharmacy, ACPE accreditation involves three steps: Precandidate accreditation status, Candidate accreditation status, and Full accreditation status. Precandidate accreditation status denotes a developmental program that is expected to mature in accord with stated plans and within a defined time period. Precandidate accreditation status is awarded to a new program of a College or School of Pharmacy that has not yet enrolled students in the professional program and authorizes the college or school to admit its first class. Candidate accreditation status is awarded to a Doctor of Pharmacy program that is currently recognized by ACPE with Precandidate status and has students enrolled but has not yet had a graduating class. Full accreditation status is awarded to a program that has met all ACPE standards for accreditation and has graduated its first class.

Graduates of a class designated as having Candidate accreditation status have the same rights and privileges of those graduates from a fully accredited program, generally including eligibility for licensure. ACPE conveys its decisions to the various boards of pharmacy and makes recommendations in accord with its decisions. It should be noted, however, that decisions concerning eligibility for licensure by examination or reciprocity reside with the respective state boards of pharmacy in accordance with their state statutes and administrative rules.

In order to enroll the first class of students in fall 2011, the University of South Florida College of Pharmacy has applied for Precandidate accreditation status for its Doctor of Pharmacy program. An on-site evaluation will occur during spring 2011. The ACPE Board of Directors will meet in June 2011 to consider the College's application. The College will be notified of the Board's decision as soon as feasible following the meeting. Should the Board feel that Precandidate accreditation status cannot be conferred at that time, the College could respond to the Board's concerns and reapply. Should the College enroll and begin instruction of its inaugural class without first achieving Precandidate accreditation status, fail to achieve Candidate accreditation status, or fail to advance to Full accreditation status within five years following the submission of the initial application, any graduates would be considered to have graduated from an unaccredited Doctor of Pharmacy program. It is unlikely that graduates of an unaccredited Doctor of Pharmacy program will meet licensing requirements in any U.S. jurisdiction.

For an explanation of the ACPE accreditation process, consult the Office of the Dean (813-974-3650) or ACPE (http://www.acpe-accredit.org/).

The University of South Florida will submit a substantive change proposal to the Commission on Colleges of the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS) addressing plans to administer the Doctor of Pharmacy degree program."

Last edited:
I just received a phone call from Dr. Sneed himself, I've been accepted! I also get a free tablet pc!

I just received a phone call from Dr. Sneed himself, I've been accepted! I also get a free tablet pc!

Congrats! But what do you mean you get a free tablet pc? They give away computers now? LOL

Congrats!!! I hope to get the same call :). What time did they call you?

Yes, everyone is required to have a tablet that will be included in tuition I believe. He is also working on scholarships for the entire class!

Congrats muckdork! I didn't think they were going to start calling until Monday! What time did you get your call?

I thought so too, but they had the meeting today. Should be expecting a letter in the mail sometime next week. He called at 1 PM today.

Congrats on the acceptance call! I'll be seeing you in the fall if you accept :thumbup:

Did you receive an e-mail too, Mucdork?

Last edited:
Nope, no e-mail, at least not yet. They said they wanted to congratulate those being accepted via phonecall. Letters are being sent out today and tomorrow, otherwise.

Is today the only day they will be calling? And is it Dr. Sneed himself doing the calls or are they split between different people..Not sure you would no those answers, but congrats again! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that phone call before the weekend..:scared:

Thanks! I'm not so sure about the phone calls, I didn't get the chance to ask over the sounds of my own rejoicing. :p
I know Ms. Petrelli did some of the calls for the first students, but it could be very well different now.

May I ask what your last name starts with? Maybe those of us near the end of the alphabet are still yet to be called :) ...

Kinda weird how nobody else is posting that they've been called....lol

For Leah and muckdork, when did u 2 interview? i interviewed march 23 the am session...haven't rec'd a call yet..waiting game is the worst

I know what you mean about the waiting...
Yup, Genilo's my last name (how'd you even figure that out? lol)and I was interviewed on April 1st, the afternoon session.

I could say I am psychic lol...or I could say that I looked at the facebook group page when there were 6 people and now there are 7 and you were the one who joined lol.

I interviewed April 4th morning session. It's almost 4 pm and I'm going crazy!!! I wonder how late they'll be calling...Good luck to all of us waiting!!!

I interviewed 4/1 and my friend, 3/25. We both havent gotten a call yet either haha. I go to USF and most the campus closes down at 5 on Friday, even the library. So we got like 50 mins left or we prob have to wait til Monday.. GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

Last edited:
oh gosh, that would suck for the worse! I am at work refreshing this page and checking my phone every 5 seconds!! I'm sure other people have been called they probably don't write on sdn maybe...I am debating on calling the office but kind of hesitant.

oh gosh, that would suck for the worse! I am at work refreshing this page and checking my phone every 5 seconds!! I'm sure other people have been called they probably don't write on sdn maybe...I am debating on calling the office but kind of hesitant.

I wouldn't call until the 19th. They stated in bold and underlined it at the interview and in the emails, they might get annoyed by it

i think they had interviews on Saturdays. They might come in to call everyone tomorrow, doubtful, but maybe we can be hopeful lol

Last edited: