2011 DO Match Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh, and I heard (but you'd have to confirm this with an MSU student) that they assign you your spot, as opposed to KCOM you choose your spot (with the qualifier that it is indeed a lottery and that we don't rotate through all of their sites).

MSU you can get your first choice, but if there are too many people applying to one hospital it does go to a lottery. If there isn't that problem then everyone who picked that hospital as their base gets it. Also, we don't rotate to all the other hospitals.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
You seem to have veered completely off-track. My point was, if thoracic surgeons do heart stuff, why is there a separate field/residency for them. You obviously don't know the answer, so let's just end this here.

The thoracic programs listed on FRIEDA are integrated 6 yr CT surg programs. I know the person who matched from DMU to the integrated CT/thoracic/whatever-you-want-to-call-it program. She is going to focus on heart. CT and thoracic are interchangeable.

Generally, when you do a CT program, you can pick a focus. The group I rotated with had 2 guys who only did hearts, and 2 guys who only did esophagus/lungs. Do the lung guys know how to do an emergency CABG if necessary while on call...sure. Will they do them routinely...no.

It would be impressive if everyone got their #1 choice, otherwise, it means jack ****. Also, how do you know if 30 people wanted ortho and only 8 got it...

And that is why match lists don't matter. :rolleyes:

FWIW, everyone I know at DMU that wanted Anesthesiology or Ortho got a spot in their top location. ?? jack ****??? huh? It doesn't matter much if you didn't get your #1 place because most people I know would have been perfectly happy at any of their top 5-7 programs.

Definitely good to know anesthesia is relatively DO friendly. I'm most interested in that & PMR right now (I'm sure that may change). Is anesthesia DO friendly with usmle or will comlex suffice? Just wondering.

While I know of a couple of people that matched ACGME with only comlex, but those that took USMLE and did well had a much easier time getting interviews. For example, a top of the class student, with a comlex ~700 was specifically asked why he/she didn't take the USMLE on multiple interviews and he/she didn't get interviews at some of the places that people who took the USMLE did. I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have matched without my USMLE scores as my comlex scores were only in the mid 500's.

Don't try to cut corners, if you have studied UW and you are doing well on practice NMBE's then you should take the USMLE. It will make your life a whole lot easier come interview season.

http://nucleus.pcom.edu/cps/pcom_content/StdAffairs/Career/DO/Match_List_2011_Philadelphia.pdf

there are errors in the list because the people working in student affair's are incompetent.

Update :

ACGME
Radiology - Cleveland Clinic Foundation
Radiology - West Virginia University
Radiology - Dartmouth x 2
Pediatric Neurology - Duke

BOOM.

Haha yea..It will probs take a while for the list to be accurate..impressive how someone matched Neuro at Geisinger! Must have made a residency for them haha

Members don't see this ad :)
Haha yea..It will probs take a while for the list to be accurate..impressive how someone matched Neuro at Geisinger! Must have made a residency for them haha

Pretty sure it was someone who matched Neuro elsewhere and is doing their prelim year at Geisinger.

Does anyone have KCOM's match list yet?

Go to the portal and go under google docs. There is an unofficial list. It includes mayo fp Hopkins gas and a bunch of great matches.

Are psych rotations at DO schools typically done in small community settings or large mental institutions? I have a couple friends that are in MD school in Texas and most of their psych rotations seem to be at mental health institutions, so they have horror stories about patients drinking their own urine, throwing feces, etc...I imagine that will turn off a lot of students to psych pretty quickly. Doing the rotation in a smaller hospital is probably beneficial in this case, because you can see a broader sense of what the field is about rather than just the crazies...and I'd rather not have feces thrown at me.

I think inpatient psych in general is an acquired taste. There is definitely educational value in seeing severe mental illness, but it takes time to get comfortable being in such an environment (longer than a month of med school for most).
The teaching quality on psych can be quite variable too. While some of us go into psych because we love it, some people go into psych because they couldn't get into anything else, and if you end up with an a teacher on a rotation who is the latter type, that can have a negative impact.
Another issue is the whole social attitude about mental illness. Because society doesn't place much value on treating mental illness, a lot of times, the facilities that mentally ill people end up at aren't exactly the nicest places and may have low morale. That can make inpatient experiences kind of depressing too.
For these reasons, I think it may be best to try asking around at your school about which psych rotations people have found had good teaching and such. Or do an away at a well respected program. Even though psych doesn't require doing an away rotation to match well, it can help you figure out if it is really for you.

KCOM had a solid match, I am just giving a rough estimate of the bigger numbers because the google page is not arranged in a friendly manner. And these are not all the students, it is self reported page...

6-7 Ortho
5 Radiology
15 EM (3 ACGME)
21 IM (Minnesota, SLU, OSU)
20 FM (Mayo)
4 PMR (Baylor, Mizzou, UM)
5 Anesthesia (Johns Hopkins, U Iowa)
4 General Surgery
2 ENT/Facial Plastics
8-9 Peds
3 Neurology (UT southwestern)
2 Pathology (UIC)
1 Optho

PM&R is becoming a solid choice for DO applicants, some of the matches I have seen on SDN are awesome. I hear those doctors make bank also!

PM&R makes bank? That's news to me. Nice lifestyle for the amount of $$ they do bring in, though. I guess pain fellowship does increase their salaries significantly.

PM&R makes bank? That's news to me. Nice lifestyle for the amount of $$ they do bring in, though. I guess pain fellowship does increase their salaries significantly.

People joke that it stands for 'plenty of money and relaxation.' I think they do well, all things considered. However, no specialty in medicine really makes 'bank,' with everything taken into account (IMO).

People joke that it stands for 'plenty of money and relaxation.' I think they do well, all things considered. However, no specialty in medicine really makes 'bank,' with everything taken into account (IMO).

Well, when I saw the average is just shy under 200K, I wasn't the under the impression of that "being bank." I did note that caveat that they do make good money for the amount of work they do, however.

http://www1.salary.com/Physician-Physiatry-salary.html

Well, when I saw the average is just shy under 200K, I wasn't the under the impression of that "being bank." I did note that caveat that they do make good money for the amount of work they do, however.

http://www1.salary.com/Physician-Physiatry-salary.html

Yeah, I think it's a good field all around. Seems like if you do a lot of injections or a fellowship in PM you can make even more. Additionally, you could, as a DO, always utilize OMM as well and, with the appropriate modifiers, bill a bit more.

Seems like a good 'lifestyle' field too.

What takes so long for the match lists to come out? Last year was a lot quicker...

Just wanted to comment briefly about match lists in general. I understand it is hard for pre-meds to objectively compare schools to make what they believe is the biggest decision of their lives. I was there 4 years ago, I feel for you. However, comparing match lists is enormously overrated. Having experienced the match first hand with my friends, I can now loot at these lists with a unique perspective.
So, first of all, not everyone wants to do ENT at Harvard. People tend to look at these lists and pick out ENT, Uro, Ortho, Rads, etc. Well, most people don't want to pursue these specialties, so judging a school based on the number of these specialties is worthless with such a small sample pool. Also, most people, believe it or not, make their match decisions based on location/proximity to family. This doesn't make the choice very helpful for the average pre-med.
Third, assuming everyone is gunning for the most prestigious positions (which I already told you they are not,) then these lists tend to be deceiving at best. THe list above me surprised me because they put (C) or (P) next to their surgery matches. This is very helpful since you may see Harvard, Hopkins, Vandy, Yale, etc under surgery matches, but if they are all Preliminary then that's a terrible match list. It means those students could not secure training for all 5 years and instead will have to fight their way for a 2nd year position during their intern year. And most won't get it. You couldn't pay me to do Prelim Surgery at a prestigious program over a categorical at the ****tiest hospital in the boonies. That's just one example of deception on match lists. Another one is that some schools only release intern positions, so you won't see any Rads, Anesthesia, etc since those all start PGY2. You may look at that list as a wanna be rads guy and assume that isn't the right school for you.

Sorry for the rambling, but the overall point is match lists are fun to look at, but don't take them too seriously and don't make any drastic decisions based on these.

I agree with a lot of what Kuba said after now seeing a match play out. I've seen people turn down pre-match offers at Cleveland Clinic and take a spot at a community hospital to be by their spouse. I've seen people leave Hopkins off their rank list entirely because their couples-match partner didn't get an interview there. I personally ranked a program that was "less prestigious" higher on my list because it was exactly the kind of training I was looking for. I'm also coming from a school that attracted students who purposefully went to Harlem with a mission to practice in underserved communities. As such, our list was heavy on EM and Primary Care. As a group, very few of us even wanted to do surgical sub-specialty residencies. So I agree, as fun as it is to look at rank lists, don't let that the thing that makes your decision for you.

I agree with a lot of what Kuba said after now seeing a match play out. I've seen people turn down pre-match offers at Cleveland Clinic and take a spot at a community hospital to be by their spouse. I've seen people leave Hopkins off their rank list entirely because their couples-match partner didn't get an interview there. I personally ranked a program that was "less prestigious" higher on my list because it was exactly the kind of training I was looking for. I'm also coming from a school that attracted students who purposefully went to Harlem with a mission to practice in underserved communities. As such, our list was heavy on EM and Primary Care. As a group, very few of us even wanted to do surgical sub-specialty residencies. So I agree, as fun as it is to look at rank lists, don't let that the thing that makes your decision for you.

I agree with some of that, but what you are saying is actually a very good reason to look at match lists as a pre-med... especially if you have a good idea of what interests you before starting school.

If you are person who would be unhappy in primary care in an urban area, then attending a school that emphasizes those fields is a bad idea...and something that is reflected in your match list.

Many of the DO schools with >200 students will have people looking for a variety of things: programs near family, urban, rural and competitive fields. Looking through a few years of match lists from larger school gives students a great idea of where people are capable of matching. Schools with few ACGME gen surg residencies or a paucity of rads matches likely lack the connections that are a huge part of landing those spots.

There are always exceptions, but chances are if you attend a school that has placed a lot of people in fields you want to go into, you will have a better shot assuming you have the grades and do the work.

It's a bad idea to look at a match list from a single year b/c that can be swayed by interest but match lists are a great resource for pre-meds.

I agree with some of that, but what you are saying is actually a very good reason to look at match lists as a pre-med... especially if you have a good idea of what interests you before starting school.

If you are person who would be unhappy in primary care in an urban area, then attending a school that emphasizes those fields is a bad idea...and something that is reflected in your match list.

Many of the DO schools with >200 students will have people looking for a variety of things: programs near family, urban, rural and competitive fields. Looking through a few years of match lists from larger school gives students a great idea of where people are capable of matching. Schools with few ACGME gen surg residencies or a paucity of rads matches likely lack the connections that are a huge part of landing those spots.

There are always exceptions, but chances are if you attend a school that has placed a lot of people in fields you want to go into, you will have a better shot assuming you have the grades and do the work.

It's a bad idea to look at a match list from a single year b/c that can be swayed by interest but match lists are a great resource for pre-meds.

How the hell does the lack of ACGME gen surg or lack of rads matches have anything to do with the school? It has more to do with the students in that particular class.

Honestly, I don't understand the hoopla. The whole "ZOMG ACGME Gen Surg/rads or bust" mentality is dumb. You should know better than propagating bull**** like this as an M4.

If you seriously think going to PCOM is going to guarantee you anything, you are sorely mistaken. After getting in, it's ultimately up to you to go after what you want. :thumbup:

How the hell does the lack of ACGME gen surg or lack of rads matches have anything to do with the school? It has more to do with the students in that particular class.

Honestly, I don't understand the hoopla. The whole "ZOMG ACGME Gen Surg/rads or bust" mentality is dumb. You should know better than propagating bull**** like this as an M4.

If you seriously think going to PCOM is going to guarantee you anything, you are sorely mistaken. After getting in, it's ultimately up to you to go after what you want. :thumbup:

I am not saying that!...I am just saying that they are a good tool, not the sole reason to pick a school. Going to PCOM guarantees you nothing, but at least going to a place that has placed people in a residency / field that you want to go into suggests that the school has some connections and pathways (which after going through the process you realize that is helpful).

I am not suggesting at all that its ACGME gen surg / rads or bust. Honestly it doesn't matter what you go into. I think every student post match realizes that some of the best people do go into "non-competative" fields. I am not even saying that students should use match lists to "rank" or compare schools, but to say that they have no value to pre-meds who are pretty set on a particular field (as was the case for me) is not right.

I think what should be said here is that if you see a match from a school then "it can be done". While some may (perhaps correctly) argue that anything can be done from anywhere depending on the strength of the student... I still say that having a resident there before means it would be slightly easier to be the next resident there from the school.

I agree with the whole "every year the mathc list is based on intangibles that no one is giving any credit, despite them being huge determinants of residency spots in reality." I also agree that this obsession with ROAD and ACGME surgery is silly. But there is some information to be gleaned if you simply look out for what has been done already and say that "it is possible then from this school". To do that fully you really need to look at the schools mission (which does predispose somewhat) and the match lists from multiple consecutive years.

The only reason I look at match lists is to see where DO students match in the Army. Just gives me an idea of which hospitals I should rotate at. One other good thing about looking at match lists is to see where the alumni from your school did residency. You can use the alumni for tips they have for matching at that particular place.

Honestly I haven't read through all of the the thread, so sorry if this is a duplicate. I know OUCOM isnt very discussed, but here she is:

Honestly I think last years list was more "impressive" (I posted it in last years version) but as far as I know the students were very happy.

Attachments

• 2011 Residencies.xlsx
    16 KB · Views: 471
Absolutely insane.. I was literally just coming on this thread to check for OU.

Do you happen to know where I can find OU match lists for the last several years?

I agree with all the above statements, but the match lists are still fun to look at!

Now, does anyone have PCOM? or PCOM-GA?

I agree with all the above statements, but the match lists are still fun to look at!

Now, does anyone have PCOM? or PCOM-GA?

I don't see PCOM-GA, but here is PCOM's:
http://nucleus.pcom.edu/cps/pcom_content/StdAffairs/Career/DO/Match_List_2011_Philadelphia.pdf

Anesthesiology – 10

Case Western/Univ Hospitals Case Med Ctr
Drexel Hanemann
Hershey Medical Center
Temple University
Thomas Jefferson University
UPMC Medical Education
Walter Reed Army Medical Center
West Virginia University SOM

Emergency Medicine – 21

Albert Einstein Medical Center
Allegheny General Hospital
Drexel Univ COM/Hahnemann Hospital
Emory University SOM
Geisinger Health System
LECOM/Saint Vincent Health Center
Lehigh Valley Hospital
Memorial Hospital
Morristown Memorial Hospital
PCOM/Aria Health
PCOM/Lehigh Valley Hosp Health Net
St. Luke’s
Temple University Hospital
UMDNJSOM/Kennedy/Lady of Lourdes
York Hospital

Emergency Med-Family Medicine – 2
Christiana Care Health System
PCOM/Aria Health

Family Medicine – 47
Altoona Regional Health System
Bryn Mawr Hospital
Central Maine Medical Center
Chippenham Medical Center
Crozer-Chester Medical Center
Dewitt Army Community Hospital
Florida Hospital East Orlando
Franklin Square Hospital
LECOM/MEDNET/Guthrie/R Packer Health Sys
Mercy Suburban Hospital
Naval Hospital (Pendleton)
Nellis Federal Hospital USAF
NSUCOM/Largo Medical Center
OUCOM/Fairview Hospital
PCOM/Abington
PCOM/Aria Health
PCOM/Lehigh Valley Hospital Health Net
PCOM/Saint Joseph Medical Center
PCOM/St. Luke’s Hospital
PCOM/UPMC Shadyside Hospital
PCOM/Williamsport Hospital
PCSOM/New Hanover Regional Med
St. Joseph’s Hospital
St. Mary – Corwin Medical Center
USAF Medical Center (Scott)
VCU-Fairfax Family Residency
Wellmont Medical
York Hospital

Integrated Family Medicine/NMM – 1
Florida Hospital East Orlando

Internal Medicine – 51
Alleghany General Hospital
Drexel U COM/Hahnemann U Hospital
Lehigh Valley Hospital
Mercy Catholic Medical Center
Mercy Suburban Hospital
Methodist Hospital
Naval Hospital (Bethesda)
PCOM/Aria Health
PCOM/Geisinger Health System
PCOM/Lankenau Hospital
PCOM/Lehigh Valley Hospital
PCOM/Pennsylvania Hospital
PCOM/Philadelphia Consortium
PCOM/Reading Hospital & Medical Center
PCOM/St. Luke’s Hospital
Pennsylvania Hospital
Reading Medical Center
South Pointe Hospital
U Illinois COM
U Rochester/Strong Memorial
UMDNJ New Jersey Medical
UMNJSOM/Kennedy/Lady of Lourdes
UNHSCTCOM/Plaza Med-Fort Worth
WVSOM/Charleston Area Medical Center

Medicine – Emergency Medicine – 1
LSU SOM

Medicine – Pediatrics – 2
UMDNJ New Jersey Medical

Neurological Surgery – 1
St. John Providence Health System

Neurology – 8
George Washington University
Medical University of South Carolina
St. Louis University SOM
Thomas Jefferson Neurology
U Massachusetts Med School
UMDNJ- RW Johnson
UNECOM/Univ Connecticut Health Center

Obstetrics-Gynecology – 7
Einstein/Beth Israel Medical Center
Jersey Shore University Medical Center
Lankenau Hospital
SUNY Upstate Med University
UMDNJ R W Johnson

Ophthalmology – 1
OUCOM/Doctors Hospital

Orthopedic Surgery – 4
Geisinger Health System
UMDNJSOM/South Jersey Healthcare

Pediatrics – 33
Goryeb Children’s Hospital
Hershey Medical Center
DuPont Children’s Hospital
Naval Hospital (San Diego)
Naval Hospital (Portsmouth)
OUCOM/Doctors Hospital
PCOM/Geisinger Health System
St. Christopher’s Hospital
UNY Upstate Med University
U Connecticut Health Center
U Massachusetts Medical School
U Texas Medical School
UMDNJ R W Johnson
UMDNJSOM/Children’s Hosp – Cooper
UMDNJ/Jersey Shore University Medicine
Univ Hospitals Richmond Medical Center
University at Buffalo SOM
Virginia Commonwealth U Health System
Walter Reed Army Med Center
Westchester Medical Center
WVSOM/Charleston Area Med Center

Physical Med & Rehab – 7
NYU School of Medicine
UMDNJ R W Johnson
UPMC Medical Education

Psychiatry – 5
Albert Einstein Medical Center
Allegheny General Hospital
NSUCOM/Larkin Community Hospital
PCOM/Albert Einstein Medical Center

Radiology – 7
Cleveland Clinic
Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center
Detroit Medical Center Osteopathic Div
Hershey Medical Center
St. Barnabas Hospital
West Virginia University SOM

Surgery – 8
PCOM/Geisinger Wyoming Valley
PCOM/Pinnacle Health General Hospital
St. John’s Episcopal
U Illinois COM

Urological Surgery – 3
Detroit Medical Center Osteopathic Division
PCOM/Albert Einstein Medical Center

Traditional Rotating Internship – 27
Altoona Regional Health System
Delaware County/Crozer-Keystone
Mercy Suburban Hospital
Naval Hospital (Bethesda)
Naval Hospital (San Diego)
Northside Hospital & Heart Institute
NSUCOM/The Medical Center
NYCOM/Peninsula Hospital Center
PCOM/Aria Health
PCOM/Lehigh Valley Hospital Health Net
PCOM/Reading Hospital & Medical Center
PCOM/St. Luke’s Hospital
PCOM/UPMC Mercy
St. Joseph’s Hospital
St. Luke’s Hospital Allentown
UMDNJ
UPMC Mercy

From what I've heard, our class was very heavy on EM/Peds/Family/IM and a lot of people ended up at their top 2-3 - if not top choice. I'm not sure that this list is 100% correct as I know of 2 people doing EM/FP at Aria and there are only 2 spots in 2 separate programs listed. It also doesn't show how many matches at each location and for FP/IM there must be either missing programs or multiple graduates at some of the spots.

What is PCOM/Albert Einstein Medical Center Psychiatry?

Yeah, it just doesn't say anything about AOA accreditation and has never been listed on anything but FREIDA.

I don't know about the accreditation, but I know who it is and I know she's definitely doing psych at Einstein and she found out in February.

I don't know about the accreditation, but I know who it is and I know she's definitely doing psych at Einstein and she found out in February.

I'm not doubting. I just didn't know if it became dually accreditted without getting listed or if there was just an error in transcription by prefacing it with PCOM.

Anyone seen a list from kcumb?

I haven't seen an organized list, but I don't go there. I can tell you that someone matched allo Plastics which is practically unheard of.

LECOM osteopathic Match by specialty (erie & Bradenton) - they say it won't be until june that the full list is out. Guess they don't care much about people in the MD match.

Attachments

• LECOM Match.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 623
I don't know that it looks weak, it's just worthless. I wouldn't even call it a match list because it's not. It just tells you how many matched per specialty. It doesn't say where and of course, it doesn't include the allo results which means no one has any idea how many didn't match anywhere.

I don't know that it looks weak, it's just worthless. I wouldn't even call it a match list because it's not. It just tells you how many matched per specialty. It doesn't say where and of course, it doesn't include the allo results which means no one has any idea how many didn't match anywhere.

That was my point. Weak. Meaningless.

I guess I should've clarified... :sleep:

Go to the portal and go under google docs. There is an unofficial list. It includes mayo fp Hopkins gas and a bunch of great matches.

Why would you want to do FP at some big name center? FP should be done at a program that is unopposed... better all-round training at this places.

Why would you want to do FP at some big name center? FP should be done at a program that is unopposed... better all-round training at this places.

Why should it be done at a program that is unopposed? I don't get it. Some people just like the challenge, and the name/status that goes along with it