2011 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I'd really love to get your thoughts on this...

I'm a school psych person, in case that matters (are there other school psych people applying for APPIC here?), and I'm really into the Kennedy Krieger Institute. They ask for one piece of supplementary material. I was planning on sending in a psych eval, but I just realized that I don't have any psych evals that include both IQ tests, ed assessments and behavior observations. The eval I was going to send includes the BASC, but otherwise its a pretty standard evaluation. I do have ADHD evaluations that include rating scales, systematic observations and naturalistic observations. Do you think it would be better to send a more general eval or an ADHD specific evaluation?

Thanks!

I am not school psych, but I have had a few sites that I had to contact regarding which eval to submit/which eval they'd prefer. So, given that it's just the one site, I would recommend contacting them to see if they have a preference. I emailed like 10 of my sites with questions, and every single one responded back (most within 2 days) and were all very helpful and kind.

If for any reason you don't want to do this, most of the sites I contacted told me to submit whichever report I felt was stronger or whichever report I felt best represented my experience. I think it is less about what tests were included, and more how you write and integrate all the results. Just my take.

PS, Thanks for your response AcronymAllergy! I didn't realize a case summary could be an eval... I guess I was thinking of just a snapshot of treatment with a patient... brief history, presenting complaint, treatment plan, treatment, termination. Good to know that it seems like I can be flexible with this! I wish sites would just say explicitly what they wanted... :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

I don't have a definitive answer for your question, but can give my opinion/take on it--unless the site explicitly asked for a comprehensive/thorough conceptualization, I would likely send a largely-unedited (although deidentified, of course) integrative report. For my psychological assessments, those tend to run two pages (all are in a medical setting, and thus brevity is paramount). For neuropsychological evaluations, they range from three to twelve pages, depending on the specifics of the assessment, the referral reason, and the intended audience.

How bout just utlizing a treatment plan you wrote for one of your psychotherpay patients? I assume everyone is required to do these on your clinic therapy patients? I thought that is what they meant when they said case summary, kinda like a copy of a comprehensive "treatment plan"?

Last edited:
Yale Med is also asking for an integrated report, a case summary, and research summary? Now what the heck do they want for that? Copies of posters? An abstract of one my projects or pubs?

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
How many pages are the integrated reports that you are sending in as a sample to the sites that request them?

Thanks!

Well I have 2 here that I'm gonna upload. The length of peoples' reports is obviously gonna be a function of the purpose, nature, and setting of the original eval. I have one that is about a 3.5 pages and based on a 2-3 hour flexible battery. My other is about 8 pages (with all the recommendations) and is based on about 8 hours of testing and includes an MMPI-2. I think the shorter eval is the best choice for the sites that just want one (some of my sites want 2), but I really like the other one better, and I know sites love to see good MMPI profile interpretations. :) Decisions, Decisions...

Update: Actually, my shorter eval does have an MMPI, I forgot. Wasn't part of my supervisor's battery or original plan, but I remember I slipped it in there at the last minute so I could see what I got..hehe Glad I did. I will probably use this one for the sites that just want one.

Last edited:
How bout just utlizing a treatment plan you wrote for one of your psychotherpay patients? I assume everyone is required to do these on your clinic therapy patients? I thought that is what they meant when they said case summary, kinda like a copy of a comprehensive "treatment plan"?

Good point; a treatment plan is exactly what I would send if a site asked for a case/psychotherapy summary rather than an example of a case/integrative report. The only change I'd consider making, should the information be available, would be the inclusion of outcome data, reason for discontinuation, etc.

How exactly are people de-identifying their reports? I have simply replaced all the things they state here http://www.appic.org/downloads/HIPAA_De-Identifying_10-29-03.html with "XXXX." However, someone mentioned that they do something other than than "XXXX." What are they doing?

Also, anyone have cover letters over 600 words? Is even 600 words too long?

Last edited:
How exactly are people de-identifying their reports? I have simply replaced all the things they state here http://www.appic.org/downloads/HIPAA_De-Identifying_10-29-03.html with "XXXX." However, someone mentioned that they do something other than than "XXXX." What are they doing?

Going with XXXX's here most likely, although I've seen people change it to "Patient" or "Client" instead. You could always combine the two (i.e., "Patient X") for a little extra pizzazz.

With regard to deidentifying material, I replaced the name (obviously) with Mr. A or Mr. X, or psuedonym initials. For the rest of the material, there was just an email on the listserv by one training director who prefers that you actually change the information so it conceals the true identifying info, but is easy to read. For me, I have just made identifying information very vague... ie: He was born on the east coast, and currently resides near a major metropolitan city.

For cover letters, man I am still struggling with getting myself a set "template" that I am satisfied with. Grr!! But, in terms of length, I don't typically use word count... more like try to keep the whole thing at a page, or just over. I just did a word count of my current draft of a cover letter, and the body part of it (not the address or my signature) is 548 words... if that helps.

I thought cover letters could be up to two pages in length. I was on the understanding that there was no word limit per se. Am i incorrect?

Correct, there is no word limit. And of course cover letters could be 2 pages in length. But they could also be 3 or 4...if there is really no word limit. However, I think it's called a cover letter for a reason, and that reason is that it is supposed to be a one page document that goes over your vita which briefly highlights your experiences and describes your fit with the site. All of our faculty heavily, heavily discourage cover letters over 1 page (550 words or so). They state that they find it "annoying" and state that if they are not convinced that you are a good fit with their site by the end of one page, then 1 or 2 more probably wont do the job either...

Im curious what other peoples' advisors and faculty say about this issue.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Correct, there is no word limit. And of course cover letters could be 2 pages in length. But they could also be 3 or 4...if there is really no word limit. However, I think it's called a cover letter for a reason, and that reason is that it is supposed to be a one page document that goes over your vita which briefly highlights your experiences and describes your fit with the site. All of our faculty heavily, heavily discourage cover letters over 1 page (550 words or so). They state that they find it "annoying" and state that if they are not convinced that you are a good fit with their site by the end of one page, then 1 or 2 more probably wont do the job either...

Im curious what other peoples' advisors and faculty say about this issue.

Haven't directly asked my advisor or any other professors here, but I'm nearly certain they'd all agree that a cover letter should be, at most, one page long.

In my mind, it's a similar idea to most standard HR departments' approaches to resumes: If you can't succinctly "sell" yourself in two pages, they likely aren't interested. Heck, I've heard of quite a few hiring managers who would immediately throw any resume longer than two pages into the trash.

While I don't see internship site admissions committees going quite that far, I could definitely see them stopping at the one-page mark regardless of the actual length of the letter.

We were told that it's okay to go onto a second page, but that we should only exceed the one-page limit by a short paragraph or two at most. Personally, I aimed to make sure that my text ended above the middle of the second page.

We were told that it's okay to go onto a second page, but that we should only exceed the one-page limit by a short paragraph or two at most. Personally, I aimed to make sure that my text ended above the middle of the second page.

This is what I did. With that being said, I'd recommend focusing on content. I didn't mind reading 1.5 pages if it was well written, but a page was too long if it was poorly done.

I did a neuropsych testing on a medical doctor. Would it be appropriate to de-identify with Dr. X?

I did a neuropsych testing on a medical doctor. Would it be appropriate to de-identify with Dr. X?

I would probably reference him being a healthcare professional with however many years of education. his profession and number of years of education are relevant, though it may get confusing to list Dr. Smith, particularly if you list any significant medical findings (imaging, etc) by other professionals.

Just wanted to say that I am in cover letter hell. I have five done but still about 15 to go.... I can't wait until the applications are all in. Then I can move on to new anxieties about getting an interview:p

Can I assume that is it permissable to take out formalties such as writing the full address of the site in the cover letter heading and instead, simply do:

Date

Dear Dr. XXXX

Body of Letter.......................................................

Has anyone e-submitted yet? I went to e-submit my applications for sites with Nov 1st deadlines and was notified that once I submit I am no longer able to make changes to my APPI. Does this mean we have to e-submit all of our applications at one time?
Thanks,

P

Has anyone e-submitted yet? I went to e-submit my applications for sites with Nov 1st deadlines and was notified that once I submit I am no longer able to make changes to my APPI. Does this mean we have to e-submit all of our applications at one time?
Thanks,

P

I believe this was covered on the APPIC Internship listserv, as a number of questions about submission have been discussed in the past week or two. If you can't find the answer, I'd recommend calling or e-mailing the APPI support people.

Thanks,

P

No. You can still submit your apps as their individual deadlines approach. It just means that you won't be able to go back and change things in your application. You can, however, edit/add cover letters, select your essays, and select your reference letters with each submission. The actual content of your applications (break-down of hours, number of reports, site experiences, etc.) cannot be changed. But yes, do check the official instructions from AAPI as well as it is likely better articulated there.

Good luck. :luck:

Thanks, O Gurl. That was one scary looking disclaimer.

P

Can I assume that is it permissable to take out formalties such as writing the full address of the site in the cover letter heading and instead, simply do:

Date

Dear Dr. XXXX

Body of Letter.......................................................

The instructions on the APPIC site for cover letters instruct you to continue to put the date, program, address, and Director's name at the top. In fact it even has an example of exactly how it should look. I was thinking the same thing as you about just leaving it off until I read that.

The instructions on the APPIC site for cover letters instruct you to continue to put the date, program, address, and Director's name at the top. In fact it even has an example of exactly how it should look. I was thinking the same thing as you about just leaving it off until I read that.

Well, there goes my one page cover letter :laugh:

Just wanted to say that I am in cover letter hell. I have five done but still about 15 to go.... I can't wait until the applications are all in. Then I can move on to new anxieties about getting an interview:p

Just wanted to say good luck :luck:!! I was in cover letter hell at the end of last week (those were the exact words I used, too!) but just know that there's a light at the end of the tunnel... and it's not a train :p! You'll get there... and it feels amazing to be done! Hang in there!

Thanks, O Gurl. That was one scary looking disclaimer.

P

Haha. Indeed. There were quite a few scary/ambiguous aspects to it last year. I'm sad to hear that those kinks have not been clarified. Don't know if anyone has run into the problem of not being able to upload your CV pdf unless you are using Firefox, not saving your credit card info so you have to enter it each time you submit an application, or the problem of only being able to upload ONE supplemental doc. Those were also big pains in the butt last year. Sigh. But it is a work in progress and sure beats the paper app process (according to the classes that applied before ours last year). Just bear in mind that the hard part is nearly over. Interviews will not suck nearly as bad. ;)

Haha. Indeed. There were quite a few scary/ambiguous aspects to it last year. I'm sad to hear that those kinks have not been clarified. Don't know if anyone has run into the problem of not being able to upload your CV pdf unless you are using Firefox, not saving your credit card info so you have to enter it each time you submit an application, or the problem of only being able to upload ONE supplemental doc. Those were also big pains in the butt last year. Sigh. But it is a work in progress and sure beats the paper app process (according to the classes that applied before ours last year). Just bear in mind that the hard part is nearly over. Interviews will not suck nearly as bad. ;)

Not sure about the credit card info, as I haven't yet paid my application fees. However, I do know the following:

1) Think uploading kinks have been worked out for at least Chrome, which I used at home and was successfully able to upload my CV; not sure if this was the case last year as well, but this year they actually allow you to upload .doc files and will auto-convert them to pdf for you

2) The supplemental materials were initially bumped up to 10, and have recently been further increased to (I believe) 50, and I have yet to hear anything about bugs prohibiting people from having more than one form submitted; here's to hoping I come nowhere near the new upper limit

Last edited:

Since the APPIC instructions also state that the cover letter should "be in the format of a standard cover letter used for a typical job application process," is everyone including their own name and address at the top of each one as well, or does APPIC tack this on there automatically at some point?

Cover letters really have my anxiety up, more so than I thought they would. I'm scrutinizing every sentence and it sucks. Also, I've come to the conclusion that if you continue to have them proofread, they will keep changing (both the sentences and its organzational structure). Everybody has a preference, and if you dont just deciede, every new person/faculty/supervisor who looks at your cover letter is gonna say "I think this should actually go here", or "maybe write another sentence about XXX." Frustrating! Cover letters are important but I'm gonna have to convince myself that having one "less than stellar" sentence, or maybe a couple of "this would have been better here" is NOT gonna be a deal breaker. The overall message will still be there.

Also, what is all this stuff about:
  • first save document to .txt,
  • then cut and paste onto text field
  • DO NOT adjust the funky characters that have replaced with the commas and letter accents
  • allow the automatic conversion to PDF to fix this
What is this for, your essays, your cover letters? I didnt do any of that nonsense (just cut and paste) and my essays are there fine. Pefectly readable, I think anyway. Is there soemthing I dont know about here?

Last edited:
Has anyone made an error on their application and been able to get unlocked after you have sent it out to a few sites? I CANNOT believe I managed to not include the cognitive/educ assessment under the child/adolescent assessment section. I simply cannot believe it... any ideas/suggestions on how to fix this grave error would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Obviously contact APPIC. But I think they have been pretty clear that once you submit, you cant change your APPI application-You can only add/subtract cover letters, supplements, recs. I doubt your app can be unlocked for changes at this time.

liliofthevalley -

I imagine it wouldn't hurt to send a short email to the individual training directors explaining the situation. They are human beings, just like you and me, after all. Please don't stress about this too much. A little personal contact might go a long way. What do you have to lose? Good luck!:)

I would guess (but I'm not sure) that if you call the AAPI online support number they could unlock your application and you could make changes and then resubmit it to your DCT for verification. Then you could contact the programs that have already received your first application and explain the situation.

1) Think uploading kinks have been worked out for at least Chrome, which I used at home and was successfully able to upload my CV; not sure if this was the case last year as well, but this year they actually allow you to upload .doc files and will auto-convert them to pdf for you

2) The supplemental materials were initially bumped up to 10, and have recently been further increased to (I believe) 50, and I have yet to hear anything about bugs prohibiting people from having more than one form submitted; here's to hoping I come nowhere near the new upper limit

That is awesome. Should make things much easier for you guys this year. :thumbup:

Also, what is all this stuff about:
  • first save document to .txt,
  • then cut and paste onto text field
  • DO NOT adjust the funky characters that have replaced with the commas and letter accents
  • allow the automatic conversion to PDF to fix this
What is this for, your essays, your cover letters? I didnt do any of that nonsense (just cut and paste) and my essays are there fine. Pefectly readable, I think anyway. Is there soemthing I dont know about here?

Yeah. I ran into that last year. I tried the .txt thing at first and it made no difference. So I just used the same method with essays and letters. Cut and paste, then adjust obvious format errors (e.g. adding space between paragraphs) and it was fine.

I would try calling their customer service line. Perhaps since it is not yet NOvember 1 they can unlock it for you? Can't hurt to try, right :) They are having extended hours this weekend @ their customer service line.

Has anyone made an error on their application and been able to get unlocked after you have sent it out to a few sites? I CANNOT believe I managed to not include the cognitive/educ assessment under the child/adolescent assessment section. I simply cannot believe it... any ideas/suggestions on how to fix this grave error would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Just wanted to say good luck :luck:!! I was in cover letter hell at the end of last week (those were the exact words I used, too!) but just know that there's a light at the end of the tunnel... and it's not a train :p! You'll get there... and it feels amazing to be done! Hang in there!

Rofl- It truly feels like there is a train at the end of the tunnel sometimes. Thanks for the encouragement! I have five done and am hoping to finish the rest soon. At least I have all the ones that are due early finished and I am safe until November 9th if it comes to worse case scenario.

so i am just about ready to e-submit my applications, but i ran into a question i just can't answer. several of the programs indicate that the Verification of Internship Readiness Form (or some similar wording) must be completed by the director of training. one site indicated that this is PART OF the APPI Online.

i was also given a .pdf file from my director of clinical training that is titled DCT Letter of Eligibility. it pretty much says i am good to go for internship.

now, the question: does the Verification of Internship Readiness Form = the verification of the APPI by the DCT? will sites explicitly ask for a Letter of Eligibility if they require something OTHER THAN the APPI verification by the DCT?

i just want to make sure i submit all materials that are needed, and nothing that is not asked for. thank you all in advance!

Last edited:
so i am just about ready to e-submit my applications, but i ran into a question i just can't answer. several of the programs indicate that the Verification of Internship Readiness Form (or some similar wording) must be completed by the director of training. one site indicated that this is PART OF the APPI Online.

i was also given a .pdf file from my director of clinical training that is titled DCT Letter of Eligibility. it pretty much says i am good to go for internship.

now, the question: does the Verification of Internship Readiness Form = the verification of the APPI by the DCT? will sites explicitly ask for a Letter of Eligibility if they require something OTHER THAN the APPI verification by the DCT?

i just want to make sure i submit all materials that are needed, and nothing that is not asked for. thank you all in advance!

Hmm... sounds like a case of calling the same thing by a different (fancier) name. Which is quite stress inducing when you are trying to navigate and already complex process.

For my internship search, I applied to 13 places total and not a single one asked for a separate letter from the DCT above and beyond what is req in the AAPI. So perhaps he was just giving it to you as an FYI? Our DCT did the same thing. He wanted for us to read over his statement of support and have it for our records. Now, IF a site is requesting something more than the mandatory statement that your DCT completes when verifying your application, then they have to explicitly request it as a supplemental or explicitly state that one of your recommendation letters comes from your DCT. I would say to contact the TD of the internship site for complete clarification, but I highly doubt they want a separate letter to state the exact same thing that is in your application. Afterall, you can't even submit an app until your DCT verifies your candidacy.

Hmm... sounds like a case of calling the same thing by a different (fancier) name. Which is quite stress inducing when you are trying to navigate and already complex process.

For my internship search, I applied to 13 places total and not a single one asked for a separate letter from the DCT above and beyond what is req in the AAPI. So perhaps he was just giving it to you as an FYI? Our DCT did the same thing. He wanted for us to read over his statement of support and have it for our records. Now, IF a site is requesting something more than the mandatory statement that your DCT completes when verifying your application, then they have to explicitly request it as a supplemental or explicitly state that one of your recommendation letters comes from your DCT. I would say to contact the TD of the internship site for complete clarification, but I highly doubt they want a separate letter to state the exact same thing that is in your application. Afterall, you can't even submit an app until your DCT verifies your candidacy.

This would be my guess as well. Sounds like your DCT is just refreshingly thorough, and wanted you to have a copy of the internship readiness letter (essentially the same thing he/she filled out for the APPIC application) for your own records. If a program requires anything above and beyond the DCT's verification of your application, then--as O Gurl said--they'd list it on their website somewhere.

This would be my guess as well. Sounds like your DCT is just refreshingly thorough, and wanted you to have a copy of the internship readiness letter (essentially the same thing he/she filled out for the APPIC application) for your own records. If a program requires anything above and beyond the DCT's verification of your application, then--as O Gurl said--they'd list it on their website somewhere.

yup, got some confirmations from a few sites as well as the DCT at my program. the Verification of Internship Readiness is in fact when the DCT verifies the APPI. after getting this confirmation and checking app requirements from my sites, turns out none of them want the letter. thanks for your input.

on a side note, all my apps are now submitted. it's the hurry up and wait game for me now. good luck everyone!

So, I just paid my fee. Is there something else I have to do to send the applications out, or is that it? Do they get sent out automatically when I pay, or do I have to do some other step to send them?

So, I just paid my fee. Is there something else I have to do to send the applications out, or is that it? Do they get sent out automatically when I pay, or do I have to do some other step to send them?

Payment is the final step. Congrats! I submitted my first batch today. 8 down, 7 to go (only revision of cover letters, and of one supplemental essay, left though).

Payment is the final step. Congrats! I submitted my first batch today. 8 down, 7 to go (only revision of cover letters, and of one supplemental essay, left though).

Really? Well, good.
How would you send in two rounds? I didn't see it ask me to confirm which schools I wanted to send to. Maybe I missed it. Good thing I did one batch!

Really? Well, good.
How would you send in two rounds? I didn't see it ask me to confirm which schools I wanted to send to. Maybe I missed it. Good thing I did one batch!

I designated 8 programs (the 8 programs I have completed everything for) and paid for them. So, I didn't really confirm "which" programs I wanted to send to, but rather I only went through the designation/submission process for the 8 programs I wanted to send to.

Once you e-submit the first time, you can still e-submit additional times as well. You just cannot change anything on your online application besides contact information, essays, and CV/cover letters/supplemental materials. When you designate/submit a second time around (or third or fourth, etc.), you will only be submitting/paying for the newly designated programs you selected. Your previous submissions will not be affected (or duplicated).

APPIC set it up this way so you can space out your applications based on due dates if you so desired.

I designated 8 programs (the 8 programs I have completed everything for) and paid for them. So, I didn't really confirm "which" programs I wanted to send to, but rather I only went through the designation/submission process for the 8 programs I wanted to send to.

Once you e-submit the first time, you can still e-submit additional times as well. You just cannot change anything on your online application besides contact information, essays, and CV/cover letters/supplemental materials. When you designate/submit a second time around (or third or fourth, etc.), you will only be submitting/paying for the newly designated programs you selected. Your previous submissions will not be affected (or duplicated).

APPIC set it up this way so you can space out your applications based on due dates if you so desired.

That was the exact question I had planned on asking, so thank you for preemptively answering it. I'd guessed that's the way it should be done (and was the way I'd planned on trying), but it's good to now know for certain that it works.

Im sorry, but im still confused by all these formatting things.

For essays and cover letters (which are docx files) I have simply cut and pasted. Text showed up fine, but was not formatted. I then manually formatted it myself (eg., added spaces between the paragraphs). In the text box, it now appears ok. This is all I need to do, correct? Committees will see it formatted correctly as it appears to me in the text box, no?