2011 APPIC Internship Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Woodhull Medical & Mental Health Center in Brooklyn would be one site to check out.

Does anyone know of APA accredited internship sites in the NYC Metro Area that offer both adult AND child in ONE internship, about equal emphasis? i.e. not 2 separate tracks with choice of applying to 1 only. Hard to search for this type on the APPIC website. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

thanks! i know that others also have rotations.

I think Trinitas has both child/adult together. Also check out Maimonides.

Members don't see this ad :)
I also believe that Jacobi Hospital and North Central Bronx Hospital may let you combine child and adult rotations. Not 100% sure, but check their description on the APPIC website and see what you find.

thanks everyone!

Have ya'll heard that they might be doing away with the clearing house and may have a second match date for those who do not match?

Is this rumor..or you know its true and just wanted to see if it has gotten through to everyone? Its news to me....:confused:

Is this rumor..or you know its true and just wanted to see if it has gotten through to everyone? Its news to me....:confused:

It is a fact that this is the eventual goal, not sure if this is the goal for applications during the 2010-2011 cycle or the 2011-2012 cycle. However, when they make the transition from the traditional Clearinghouse to the second match they will also be extending the time frame between finding out that you matched and having to apply and rank, I believe it will now be a week long gap (no more having to put everything together over a weekend!).

All 3 military branches (3 applications gets you 10 sites) and 15 civilian sites. So, 25 total sites.

I applied and interviewed at 2/3 Air Force sites last year. Ultimately, I decided military life was not for me, so I ranked my civilian sites higher, but if you have any questions, let me know. I'd be happy to share my insights. :)

As for your total number of apps, I'd caution you with one thing off the top- I understand the temptation to cast a very broad net in lieu of the current state of national internship search, BUT you may find yourself in a bit of a pickle around interview notification time. Particularly when it comes down to the military sites as they are not very flexible with interview dates, preferring to hold "open houses" instead. So just be careful to not put out so many apps that you end up not being able to feasibly see each avenue through to completion. It may be a better choice to just re-evaluate your list and make sure you get about 15 sites that are representative of a good mix of competitive, mid-range, and safer options across a range of locations. ;)

Have ya'll heard that they might be doing away with the clearing house and may have a second match date for those who do not match?

I heard this too -- think it's more than a rumor because it came from my Internship Director.

Yea, our DCT sent us the information and email about it. Sounds like a possibility. Hopefully it will happen by the time I apply for internship!

They just sent this out this mornings. Here is a copy for anyone not already on the match listserv:

NEW TWO-PHASE MATCH PROCESS: The APPIC Membership recently voted to make significant changes to the Match and Clearinghouse processes. The 2011 APPIC Match will be conducted in two "phases," with each phase involving the submission of Rank Order Lists by programs and applicants to determine the placement of applicants into positions.

The purpose of this change is to improve the experiences of unmatched applicants by implementing a system that is more fair and less stressful than the current "Clearinghouse" process. It should be noted that this new process will NOT have an impact on the "Supply and Demand" imbalance between internship applicants and positions.

Phase I of the Match is essentially the same as previous years' Matches. Applicants and programs will submit Rank Order Lists for Phase I of the Match, and a matching process will be carried out using those Rank Order Lists. The results of Phase I of the Match will then be distributed (there have been some changes to the method and dates on which the Phase I results are released - see below).

A second selection process will begin immediately upon the conclusion of Phase I of the Match, with the goal of placing applicants who did not obtain a position in Phase I into positions that remained unfilled in Phase I. Programs with positions left unfilled in Phase I will offer those positions to applicants in Phase II of the Match. Applicants who registered for Phase I but did not obtain a position in Phase I will be eligible to participate in Phase II. Those applicants will use the AAPI Online service to submit applications to programs with unfilled positions from Phase I. Applicants and programs will submit new Rank Order Lists for Phase II of the Match. A second matching process will be carried out using those Rank Order Lists, and the results of Phase II of the Match will then be distributed.

No additional fees will be charged to applicants and programs that participate in Phase II of the Match.

While it is anticipated that Phase II will fill the vast majority of positions that remain available from Phase I, APPIC will operate a "Post-Match Vacancy Service" that begins upon conclusion of Phase II and will allow programs to announce unfilled or newly-funded positions that become available into the Spring and Summer.

-----

APPIC MATCH DATES FOR 2011: The official dates for both phases of the 2011 APPIC Match are as follows:

PHASE I: Wednesday, February 9, 2011 - Deadline for submission of Rank
Order Lists.

Friday, February 25, 2011 - APPIC Phase I Match Day: Results
of the Match will be released to applicants and training
directors.

PHASE II: Monday, March 21, 2011 - Deadline for submission of Rank
Order Lists for Phase II of the Match.

Monday, March 28, 2011 - APPIC Phase II Match Day: Results
of the Match will be released to applicants and training
directors.

Please note that APPIC Phase I Match Day has been moved to a Friday instead of a Monday, with the full Match results released to both applicants and programs on this day. Applicants will learn on this day whether or not they have been matched and, if matched, the name of the program to which they have been matched. Programs will learn on this day the names of the applicants to whom they have been matched along with whether or not they have any unfilled positions. Thus, applicants and programs will no longer have to wait until Monday to receive their full Match results.

Academic programs that are APPIC Associates (formerly called "APPIC Subscribers") will be sent lists on both APPIC Match Days showing the Match result information for each of their students.

Extensive information about both phases of the Match and the APPIC Post-Match Vacancy Service will be distributed in the coming months via the APPIC MATCH-NEWS e-mail list, the NMS Match web site, and the APPIC web site.

I was just coming on here to send this!​

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry I beat you to it!:rolleyes:

What are everyone's thoughts on this new change?

I think it will be a good change! I like that there is more time between finding out you didn't match and preparing to search for a new place. If you have ever helped someone with the clearinghouse you know how absolutely INSANE the process can be.

I also like that it closes the back door and prevents student sneaking into internships without going through the initial match process, which I always thought was really shady.

Of course, I would rather there be a better match rate than a new second match system, but I think this is a good thing...

I assume this means you will now find out where you matched on friday's match day, instead of having to wait until the coming Monday, correct?

It sounds like it's diluting Clearinghouse stress over a period of a month by adding in the stress of YET ANOTHER Match. It doesn't sound like a solution to all the problems of the Match, but rather a step in the right direction.

I assume this means you will now find out where you matched on friday's match day, instead of having to wait until the coming Monday, correct?

Yes, applicants apparently will find out that they got matched, and then where they got matched in the same day. I imagine the training directors will call the applicants around mid day.

I think the hardest thing about CH (besides getting over the shock of not matching) is the immediate pressure to get "something". Having a second match will help those first 8 hours, though the imbalance is still looming. I am glad to see APPIC take a step in the right direction.

Indeed. Which you guys will appreciate. It was brutal to have to wait a whole weekend to find out where I was going. I know that sounds very petty considering what people went through who didn't match, but it was really NOT fun to have an additional wait.

I was wondering how all of you are progressing through your application? Wow! what a long application- even though it is necessary it sure is taking some time to fill out. I currently have 22 sites on my list but am trying to get it down to 18-20 ( so many cover letters to write!). I am having a difficult time crossing off anymore from my list. Is anyone else in the same boat? Truth is I'm scared- I feel like I have a good application but the match stats are a little frightening. My university has a great match rate but once in a while someone doesn't match. This forum has been a great support. Thanks :)

In the same boat! I am around 23 or 24 now, but also trying to narrow it down to 20 max (possibly 17, which seems to be the max supported in different findings regarding match rates). Same here with all the match stats & what not! Have started the AAPI app, but haven't started any essays yet. Let the fun times begin............

I was wondering how all of you are progressing through your application? Wow! what a long application- even though it is necessary it sure is taking some time to fill out. I currently have 22 sites on my list but am trying to get it down to 18-20 ( so many cover letters to write!). I am having a difficult time crossing off anymore from my list. Is anyone else in the same boat? Truth is I'm scared- I feel like I have a good application but the match stats are a little frightening. My university has a great match rate but once in a while someone doesn't match. This forum has been a great support. Thanks :)

Although I'm not applying to internship this year, I'm trying figure out what I need to do to be competitive for future matches. I'm not looking to go into assessment as a career but like the rotations offered at many hospital sites and have noticed that most (if not all) require some sort of testing component, though this varies greatly as to the extent. For those of you applying to hospitals this year or who matched at a hospital in the past, how many assessment reports do you have so far, and what kind are they (i.e., neuropysch, court-ordered psych, etc.)? I realize that there's quite a range in what hospitals like assessment-wise, but I am wondering what others have done and are focusing on. Again, I'm not interested in sites that are 100% neuropsych testing. Thanks!

Dont get caught up in that! Being a well rounded psychologist in training means you should have some assessment experience/comptencies. Unless you are a gunning for npsych sites, I dont think it matters if you have 10 intergrated reports or 50 intergrated reports. As long as you have had prac expereince with it and have experience writing a report and are familar with basic, commonly used to tests. Thats the point.

Dont get caught up in that! Being a well rounded psychologist in training means you should have some assessment experience/comptencies. Unless you are a gunning for npsych sites, I dont think it matters if you have 10 intergrated reports or 50 intergrated reports. As long as you have had prac expereince with it and have experience writing a report and are familar with basic, commonly used to tests. Thats the point.

Isn't part of the "fun" getting caught up in the crazy obsessive details? ;) Seriously, though, it's good to hear that the general experience is adequate. Is this the consensus?

Your post has brought me back to Earth for the time being. Thanks!

I was going to apply to internship last year and started and got well into the process, but decided to wait until this year. Fortunately, I had many things done as far as the application, cover letters, essays, etc. so it's a matter of tweaking some things. I have 23 places on my list right now. I probably will end up applying to all of them or cutting two more. I originally had 34 that I cut down to 23. I definitely understand about having mixed feelings about how you are as an applicant. Sometimes I think I'm a pretty good applicant, but other times, I think about how competitive this process really is and that applying for more than 15 places is a good idea.

Does anyone know of good research heavy internships that are designed to prepare you for an academic/research job? I know of a couple (i.e. Brown and UCSF) but I am sure there are more out there and I don't want to miss out on them. Thanks!

Does anyone know of good research heavy internships that are designed to prepare you for an academic/research job? I know of a couple (i.e. Brown and UCSF) but I am sure there are more out there and I don't want to miss out on them. Thanks!

Hey stranger!

I know this has been talked about a few different places (mostly in one of the internship threads from the past couple of years), though it may be hard to find. Let me see if I can dig it up because it is good information to have. From what I recall there are 6-8 sites that are on everyone's list, and then there are another handful of places that are very research friendly and are meant for research academics.

Anecdotally, for those who are interested in a solid counseling site that is research friendly (particularly diversity research), check out the Iowa State Counseling site. I was very impressed by their staff and their training, FWIW.

Off top of my head:

Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, Yale, Medical College of South Carolina, Palo Alto VA, San Fran VA, UC San Diego VA, University of Arizona med, UCLA Semel, University of Chicago med, Mclean, MGH.

Off top of my head:

Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic, Yale, Medical College of South Carolina, Palo Alto VA, San Fran VA, UC San Diego VA, University of Arizona med, UCLA Semel, University of Chicago med, Mclean, MGH.

On a 1 (Not at all research friendly), 3 (Research friendly) to 5 (Research heavy) scale, this is how I will rate these places based on personal experience and stories I hear:

2: UA Med
3: UCSD/SD VA and UCLA
4: Duke, Yale, McClean, MGH, UW Med, Rush
5: Brown, UCSF, Baylor Med (Geriatric research track)

Overall, it is hard to expect a clinical internship to be research heavy. It is a clinical year!

On a 1 (Not at all research friendly), 3 (Research friendly) to 5 (Research heavy) scale, this is how I will rate these places based on personal experience and stories I hear:

2: UA Med
3: UCSD/SD VA and UCLA
4: Duke, Yale, McClean, MGH, UW Med, Rush
5: Brown, UCSF, Baylor Med (Geriatric research track)

Overall, it is hard to expect a clinical internship to be research heavy. It is a clinical year!

Re: MGH, it depends on what track you're interested in. BMED and CBT are no doubt a "5", while the other tracks are less so.

Since I'm one of their training supervisors, I figure I can comment directly: I'd say the Palo Alto VA is about a 3 on the scale overall. Not research heavy, but definitely friendly.

Greetings all---

I logged a number of hours conducting Parent-Child Interaction Therapy (PCIT). Both parent and child are present and involved throughout the sessions. The emphasis, of course, is in teaching the parents more adaptive/healthful ways to interact/raise their children. Would I log the hours as individual intervention hours for adults? Or children? I am thinking adults, but there was work done with the children as well (assessment and intervention).

Thanks!

Thank you for all of your help re: research friendly internships. Also, it is good to be back T4C! It is hard to believe we are already looking for internships. It seems like we just all got into grad school!

Greetings all---

I logged a number of hours conducting Parent-Child Interaction Therapy (PCIT). Both parent and child are present and involved throughout the sessions. The emphasis, of course, is in teaching the parents more adaptive/healthful ways to interact/raise their children. Would I log the hours as individual intervention hours for adults? Or children? I am thinking adults, but there was work done with the children as well (assessment and intervention).

Thanks!
Aagman, the PCIT I've done is logged as family therapy. I suppose it might depend on how involved the children are in your sessions though. We tend to do a lot of role playing and practice with the parents and children together.

I am glad to see this conversation on SDN. Does anyone have recommendations for sites that emphasize pediatric neuropsychology?

If anybody has looked into, or has information on, Jefferson County (KY) Internship Consortium in Louisville, KY can they please let me know? I can not find any info (no handbook, nothin) other than whats in the APPIC and the TD hasn't responded to my email. Thanks.

I am glad to see this conversation on SDN. Does anyone have recommendations for sites that emphasize pediatric neuropsychology?
I am interested in pediatric neuropsych as well. Some sites I've looked at are: Children's Hospital of Michigan, Rusk Institute, Henry Ford Hospital, Children's Hospital and Clinics of Minnesota, Children's Hospital of Philadelphia, Franciscan Hospital for Children, Kennedy Krieger Institute, Nationwide Children's Hospital, Texas Children's Hospital, The Watson Institute, and University of Chicago Medical Center.

erg923---

I don't know anything about the Louisville (although I lived for 2 summers in Louisville, and LOVED it!). Have you contacted the site for more information. One program I am contemplating applying also had scant information on the site on both the APPIC site & the hospital website (Children's Hospital in Boston). I emailed the administrative assistant of the program, and she sent me a very comprehensive handbook on the site.

Good luck!

If anybody has looked into, or has information on, Jefferson County (KY) Internship Consortium in Louisville, KY can they please let me know? I can not find any info (no handbook, nothin) other than whats in the APPIC and the TD hasn't responded to my email. Thanks.

Thanks, I was born and raised there and my wife loves it there when we havew goine back for x-mas and weddings. We want to settle back there eventually. I thought about just sending my dad down to the address listed on their APPIC profile to see what info he can get ...haha

I have a question about publications that I thought I would post here before going to the APPIC list-serv (if necessary).

I am a co-author on an a chapter that has yet to be published. The chapter is under-contract and has been written and by the time November rolls around the draft of the chapter will have been sent to the editors of the book (I am not sure if we will have revisions done by this point in time). Am I able to count this as a publication on the APPIC?

I have been completing my application:

A question I have is with regards to the "school counseling interventions" section.

Specifically:

I have (as of now_) counted therapy conducted within the school under "individual therapy" and psychoeducational type work (e.g. academic intervention, social skills group) under the "school counseling interventions" section.

Is this correct, or should all hours completed within the school setting, regardless of the work, be counted under "school counseling interventions" section?

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions!

I know I'm a few days late in posting this, but I just wanted to add to the discussion on research-friendly sites. I applied and matched this past year, and I was only looking at sites that offered some research time. I just wanted to add what I learned about some of the sites I interviewed at (*I just want to note that if any of this info is wrong, I'm sorry - this is just what I was told):

No one has mentioned the Mississippi Medical Center (Jackson VA) - yeah, it's in Jackson, MS but the internship heavily recruits people interested in academia and allows a good deal of research time.

Western Psychiatric Institute also heavily recruits people interested in academia. There is only 4 hours of "protected time", but moving into an academic position after internship seems pretty important to them - they try to have many of their interns stay on for post-doc.

MUSC (Charleston) offers 8 hours of research time, and also wants to recruit academics.

UCSD does not offer any protected research time. I was told that I would not be allowed to do any research there unless my dissertation was defended.

VA Palo Alto can be research-heavy. There is one rotation that you can do for 6 months (half time, I think) that seemingly was completely research-based.

Brown is obviously research-heavy. There's no doubt you will do research there during internship, and they really want you to stay on for post-doc.

Boston Consortium I think offers only 2 hours of protected research time, but I really think that research opportunity depends on rotations.

VA Puget Sound (Seattle) - I missed the open house here, but from what I was told it sounded like research time was a definite possibility. I think there's a possibility to do a half-time research rotation.

UIC - there is research time available. There is a lot of flexibility in the rotations here and some are considered research-based, while others are clinically-based. Depending on how you schedule your rotations, I think you can allow for many research opportunities.

I hope this helps!

I have been completing my application:

A question I have is with regards to the "school counseling interventions" section.

Specifically:

I have (as of now_) counted therapy conducted within the school under "individual therapy" and psychoeducational type work (e.g. academic intervention, social skills group) under the "school counseling interventions" section.

Is this correct, or should all hours completed within the school setting, regardless of the work, be counted under "school counseling interventions" section?

Thanks for any thoughts/suggestions!

My understanding is that any service that falls under an IEP and is conducted by a "school psychology" extern, under the supervision of a school psychologist falls under school counseling. If you think about it, the IEP says "counseling" and when children require more intensive interventions (therapy) we link them with services outside the school. You should definitely ask your DCT.

However, if your role as an extern was under "psychology," your supervisor was a licensed psychologist (not an in-house school psychologist), and the parents signed consent for therapy (something above and beyond the IEP services) then I would count that under individual therapy. School-based mental health clinics would be a great example b/c although the children are being seen in their own school building, the services are not being provided by the school, the school psychologist, or the school psychologist's trainee.

Hey JP:

Thanks! That is exactly what happened. My supervisor in the schools was an LP on contract. And specific consents were obtained for intensive counseling and groups. I wa directed by DCT to count stuff that was psychoeducational, related directly to IEP, or brief and related to school for the school interventions portions. Thanks for the response!

My understanding is that any service that falls under an IEP and is conducted by a "school psychology" extern, under the supervision of a school psychologist falls under school counseling. If you think about it, the IEP says "counseling" and when children require more intensive interventions (therapy) we link them with services outside the school. You should definitely ask your DCT.

However, if your role as an extern was under "psychology," your supervisor was a licensed psychologist (not an in-house school psychologist), and the parents signed consent for therapy (something above and beyond the IEP services) then I would count that under individual therapy. School-based mental health clinics would be a great example b/c although the children are being seen in their own school building, the services are not being provided by the school, the school psychologist, or the school psychologist's trainee.

I too was looking for internships that allow research time and/or have research opportunities, so let me add a few to the list (and echo SAPsych's endorsement of U of Mississippi Jackson, Puget Sound VA, Western Psych, MUSC, Brown, and UIC as research-friendly---the others I don't know as much about):

University of Washington in Seattle is a very research-focused place, lots of active projects going on. Also they have a grantsmanship seminar geared toward helping interns write and submit a grant (this seminar sounded *awesome*).

University of Wisconsin-Madison has several clinically-focused research rotations.

University of Maryland/Baltimore VA is also a research-friendly site.

Note that every site that is a member of the Academy of Psychological Clinical Science has been mentioned (http://psych.arizona.edu/apcs/members.php) but these are not the only research-friendly internships.

For example, Southwest Consortium in Albuquerque doesn't have a lot of active research going on at the site, but they are big supporters of research and will give at least 4 hours of protected time for dissertation research or other research pursuits. The Salem VA in Virginia is pretty much the same.