2011-2012 Boston University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Waitlisted as well. I am going to find the waitlist- and then pee on it.

Very imaginative and fresh. I say it's a good idea.

Members don't see this ad.

Waitlisted but not staying on - I know of at least a couple of other non-SDN posters that are also withdrawing from the list. Good luck everyone!

I just did. I'm so disappointed. Waitlisted at all six schools I interviewed at. I'm at work, but I just want to go home and cry. =(

I know how you feel. I got waitlisted as well and this puts me at 5 total -_- with no acceptances.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know how you feel. I got waitlisted as well and this puts me at 5 total -_- with no acceptances.

Glad to know I'm not alone. This also puts my count at 5 wait lists plus one "hold" without any acceptances. It's seriously torture.

Glad to know I'm not alone. This also puts my count at 5 wait lists plus one "hold" without any acceptances. It's seriously torture.
Sorry to hear you guys are going through the same thing. It's tough. I thought I would know where I'd be by now and be able to take some sort of break between working and med school, but I guess that's not going to happen. Good luck to both of you. Hang in there!

Sorry to hear you guys are going through the same thing. It's tough. I thought I would know where I'd be by now and be able to take some sort of break between working and med school, but I guess that's not going to happen. Good luck to both of you. Hang in there!

I've got 3 waitlists and 1 post-interview hold (that will either turn into a rejection or waitlist); and the reality is any of those could be a game changer and I also hate not knowing where I'm going to be living in a few months. I went back through last years thread and it looks like they accepted a few people off the waitlist, but definitely a small percentage compared to what was actually waitlisted. Same thing happened last year where there was supposed to be a "small" waitlist, I guess it's all relative.

I've got 3 waitlists and 1 post-interview hold (that will either turn into a rejection or waitlist); and the reality is any of those could be a game changer and I also hate not knowing where I'm going to be living in a few months. I went back through last years thread and it looks like they accepted a few people off the waitlist, but definitely a small percentage compared to what was actually waitlisted. Same thing happened last year where there was supposed to be a "small" waitlist, I guess it's all relative.

I wonder how many people they waitlist post-interview and how many are ultimately offered a spot post-waitlist. 100%/10% or 100% 30%?

I wonder how many people they waitlist post-interview and how many are ultimately offered a spot post-waitlist. 100%/10% or 100% 30%?

It varies by year. Depends how many people withdraw their acceptance

If I accepted my acceptance at BU a week ago, but decide to withdraw the acceptance by the end of this week (because I will find out a financial aid letter at one of the schools I've been accepted to), do I still have to pay the deposit? In other words, just by accepting the offer for the class of 2016 at BU, am I required to pay the holding my spot deposit regardless of whether I end up withdrawing or not? Does anyone know the particulars of that? Or as long as I withdraw by before may 15th, I don't have to pay the deposit? Thanks everyone for your help!

If I accepted my acceptance at BU a week ago, but decide to withdraw the acceptance by the end of this week (because I will find out a financial aid letter at one of the schools I've been accepted to), do I still have to pay the deposit? In other words, just by accepting the offer for the class of 2016 at BU, am I required to pay the holding my spot deposit regardless of whether I end up withdrawing or not? Does anyone know the particulars of that? Or as long as I withdraw by before may 15th, I don't have to pay the deposit? Thanks everyone for your help!

I don't think they can force you to pay $100 (do they have debt collector?). Also the cost of using debt collector might leave them with little incentive. If you don't pay, they won't hold you a place.

Judging by the speech Dr. Witzburg gave my interview group, it can't be 100% waitlist post-interview because he said a ton of people would be rejected in January and even more rejected in March. Obviously when people are rejected they don't always post it on Sdn, especially since it's not as exciting as an acceptance, but it does not look like a large amount of people have been rejected based on this years thread; however, there definitely have been enough to make it realistic that there are post-interview rejections. And the 10-30% for being pulled off of the waitlist is probably large as well, I'm sure they make the waitlist large for insurance, but Dr. Witzburg stated that there are a few files on his desk and I honestly believe that. What I mean by that is there are probably a few select individuals who are in the top tier of the waitlist, and those are the most likely to be called. If all of them have been offered, I would assume that the adcomm would meet again or something of that nature to begin assessing the rest of the waitlist and I make this assumption based on the large pool of applicants placed in the waitlist category and still keeping in mind Dr. Witzburg's integrity and the fact that he was so meticulous in his closing sentiments towards the admissions process and the process the applicants will go through. I really hope there is waitlist movement, but I can't imagine too many people turning this school down which is really unfortunate.

Members don't see this ad :)
Judging by the speech Dr. Witzburg gave my interview group, it can't be 100% waitlist post-interview because he said a ton of people would be rejected in January and even more rejected in March. Obviously when people are rejected they don't always post it on Sdn, especially since it's not as exciting as an acceptance, but it does not look like a large amount of people have been rejected based on this years thread; however, there definitely have been enough to make it realistic that there are post-interview rejections. And the 10-30% for being pulled off of the waitlist is probably large as well, I'm sure they make the waitlist large for insurance, but Dr. Witzburg stated that there are a few files on his desk and I honestly believe that. What I mean by that is there are probably a few select individuals who are in the top tier of the waitlist, and those are the most likely to be called. If all of them have been offered, I would assume that the adcomm would meet again or something of that nature to begin assessing the rest of the waitlist and I make this assumption based on the large pool of applicants placed in the waitlist category and still keeping in mind Dr. Witzburg's integrity and the fact that he was so meticulous in his closing sentiments towards the admissions process and the process the applicants will go through. I really hope there is waitlist movement, but I can't imagine too many people turning this school down which is really unfortunate.

There's some truth to this, but at the same time, there will be a number of applicants that also applied to a number of higher ranked schools that apply to BU as a fallback, or that don't want to live in Boston/pay the tuition because of the expense. So you never know and speculating will only drive you crazy.

There's some truth to this, but at the same time, there will be a number of applicants that also applied to a number of higher ranked schools that apply to BU as a fallback, or that don't want to live in Boston/pay the tuition because of the expense. So you never know and speculating will only drive you crazy.

I always laugh when I read this or when applicants with high stats rationalize their failure to interview due to their "high stats". I have "high stats" and never considered BU a fallback. It's one of my top 5 schools. Some people need to get over the rank-whoring, as it isn't reflective of the quality and strengths of the school (flatearth comes to mind). For a school that receives one of the most applications of any medical school, how anyone can reason that BU is a fallback school is beyond me...

I think price, more than anything else, probably affects who attends BU. Expensive school in an expensive city!

Last edited:
I agree with you to some degree but also agree with them to some agree.

Bu gets so many applications but I think that's in part for some because its mid tier, for some its in an awesome city, for others they see that the stats are high median wise but the range goes across ranges so they get into this I fall in the range so I have a shot here mentality and I'm sure that's the ones who think it is a fall back. You'd be surprised by the mentality of many during this process.

But BU is pretty awesome. I must say having seen it first hand as a former grad student whose seen the quality of their teaching.

Just goes to show you how the school obviously cares about more than just statistics. What stinks is that I'd be willing to drop everything to go to this school off of the waitlist and not knowing where I will live in 3 months is really wearing on me.

I agree with you to some degree but also agree with them to some agree.

Bu gets so many applications but I think that's in part for some because its mid tier, for some its in an awesome city, for others they see that the stats are high median wise but the range goes across ranges so they get into this I fall in the range so I have a shot here mentality and I'm sure that's the ones who think it is a fall back. You'd be surprised by th mentality of many during this process.

But BU is pretty awesome. I must say having seen it first hand as a former grad student whose seen the quality of their teaching.

I don't understand this tier business. The school has been on an upward trend, is now ranked the same as Dartmouth in terms of research, has the largest trauma center in NE, predominantly serves the poor, and has a new bio-terrorism research center that has yet to open. Does this make a school mid-tier? It's so relative and this prestige obsession so relevant on these pre-med boards, I can't help but laugh.

For the sake of argument, why don't you clarify the tier system for us. I don't mean to be antagonistic at all, and I like you GujuDoc. I'm just very curious.

I always laugh when I read this or when applicants with high stats rationalize their failure to interview due to their "high stats". I have "high stats" and never considered BU a fallback. It's one of my top 5 schools. Some people need to get over the rank-whoring, as it isn't reflective of the quality and strengths of the school (flatearth comes to mind). For a school that receives one of the most applications of any medical school, how anyone can reason that BU is a fallback school is beyond me...

I think we're arguing semantics here -- never said it isn't a terrific school or "worthy of a top 5," merely that "those other 4" are also top 5s and that some people will choose them.

I think we're arguing semantics here -- never said it isn't a terrific school or "worthy of a top 5," merely that "those other 4" are also top 5s and that some people will choose them.

Thanks for clarifying, didn't mean to jump on you, sorry.

Hey does anyone know of a thread that compares BU against Tufts that is up to date?

Hey does anyone know of a thread that compares BU against Tufts that is up to date?

There has been a thread about this every year - and nothing really changes from year to year, same issues apply. If you have any specific question, you can feel free to PM me, I chose BU over Tufts.

Recently declined my offer of acceptance. I really hope it goes to one of you guys. I loved BU but just could not justify the cost of both the school and Boston.

Withdrew my acceptance as well. It was a tough choice.
Best of luck to everyone!!

I received an email answering some questions regarding the waitlist and wow; BU is extremely tactful and thorough. Consummate professionalism on display at its finest.

"5. In several of the recent application cycles it has been clear by early July that we will not have any waiting list activity. If this is the case, we will notify you."

Oh boy, well here is to hoping there is some waitlist activity.

I withdrew my acceptance as well although I have a lot of respect for this school. I can't imagine there wouldn't be ANY waitlist movement. We can all only attend 1 school, right? Best of luck to you all!

"5. In several of the recent application cycles it has been clear by early July that we will not have any waiting list activity. If this is the case, we will notify you."

Oh boy, well here is to hoping there is some waitlist activity.

Just for clarification, that reads "Waitlist activity usually occurs until July. In previous years after July, there was no waitlist activity though we will notify you if there is in fact waitlist activity after July that pertains to you"

See you all at revisit. Don't know about you guys but I don't plan to be sober at any point during that day.

Dr. Witzburg said the same thing a few years back and my interviewer said, "I can almost guarantee you will be accepted..." waitlisted forever with no rejection until Fall

Got my financial aid letter! 10,000 in scholarship and 18,000 subsidized institutional loans! YAY BU!

I did the online stuff in February and sent in the tax forms etc the day I was accepted.

Hi,

Any idea if BUSM students can take classes at BU's other schools?

Thanks!

Hi,

Any idea if BUSM students can take classes at BU's other schools?

Thanks!

What other schools are you talking about? School of Public Health? School of Management?
MD/MPH and MD/MBA students usually take a year off between 3rd and 4th years to complete the second degree.
If you have advanced standing because you got in through one of the BU programs (7 or 8-year BU program, or GMS program), you can take some MPH classes during 1st year.
If you are a regular applicant and doing the regular 4-year program, you will not have time to take classes at other schools.

Does anyone know what the dress code for the Open House this weekend is?

For all those who were waitlisted (including those who withdrew), please put your names in the list. Would at least give us some idea as to our chances. Or at the very least prevent us from going mad waiting for June

Who all has heard back from financial aid with their package? May 15 is 2 weeks away and I still haven't heard a thing. Is this the same for everyone?

Who all has heard back from financial aid with their package? May 15 is 2 weeks away and I still haven't heard a thing. Is this the same for everyone?

Probably should have checked the mail before I posted that. Accepted in first round in January; no scholarships or unsubsidized institutional loans.

I loved the school during second visit but I am lost with how they administer scholarships. I met a few students during second look day that were waitlisted during the first acceptance and still received 10-15K in scholarships, as well as 10-20K in institutional subsidized loans. From how Dr. Witzburg made it sound they were very specific with first round acceptances. Unfortunately they must not have wanted me enough to offer any scholarship haha. Oh well Boston.

Probably should have checked the mail before I posted that. Accepted in first round in January; no scholarships or unsubsidized institutional loans.

I loved the school during second visit but I am lost with how they administer scholarships. I met a few students during second look day that were waitlisted during the first acceptance and still received 10-15K in scholarships, as well as 10-20K in institutional subsidized loans. From how Dr. Witzburg made it sound they were very specific with first round acceptances. Unfortunately they must not have wanted me enough to offer any scholarship haha. Oh well Boston.

I received my package in the mail this weekend as well. In the same boat -- no grants or scholarships; all loans -- about 10K in an interest-free school loan, the rest all federal. I was accepted in the first round in January as well. The grants/scholarships are need-based according to the website, so it was probably that they didn't deem you as financially needy compared to others, not anything related to how much they wanted you.

Sounds like we're in similar predicaments. I also enjoyed Open House this weekend. But $75,080 is a scary number. And I don't know if I'm willing to do it all in loans...

Good luck to you, whatever you decide!

I received a scholarship (10k) and it said "need based" and I was accepted in the 2nd round after a deferral in January, so I'm sure it has nothing to do with how much they want you!

As I understand it, BU awards both merit-based and need-based scholarships. I was also accepted in the first round in January and my acceptance was soon followed by a merit scholarship award (prior to my submitting any financial information). I would imagine most merit scholarships were also going out to first round acceptances but that is purely from what I've gleaned on SDN. Need-based scholarships appear in the financial aid offers and are based on exactly what they sound like and are generally non-negotiable. From your MDapps profile it looks like you are a competitive applicant who is still holding acceptances at a few other schools, including your in-state school. If BU is your top choice but you are seriously considering attending a less expensive school due to financial concerns I would suggest you write Dr. Witzburg a letter regarding your situation (email a signed copy if you can). Let him know that BU is unequivocally your first choice but that at this point you are unable to justify its cost when compared to your state school (or other scholarship offers) and that you are hoping they can re-evaluate your application to determine if it merits any scholarship funding... If your letter is modest, respectful and honest, the worst that can happen is that they say no and you attend elsewhere. It would be totally worth it to give it a shot just in case though. I was recently happily surprised by another school's response to one such letter of mine and I have since declined my acceptance to BU due to cost. PM me if you want any more info...

I just withdrew from BU; great school with an AMAZING hospital, but too much money--I was also offered the $10k scholarship but that would still leave me with $65k to finance through loans for the first year. Good luck to everyone still hoping for good news via the waitlist!

You could withdraw without insulting the people and the school. You sir are a jerk

Status
Not open for further replies.