2010 Radiology Applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Out of maybe 5 or 6 programs that I sent a letter like this, one of them offered me an interview.

Some of them rebuffed e-mails and phone calls expressing interest.

I'm of the opinion that they can help you, as long as you're not obnoxious about it.

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks! And nope, no N=1 yet ;) I sent out a couple longshot university ones (with my stats), and a few comm programs that I like where I have family. So if any come through - I imagine it'll be the latter group.

Then I got rejected from UAB today, who I only applied to like...10 days ago. hah.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! And nope, no N=1 yet ;) I sent out a couple longshot university ones (with my stats), and a few comm programs that I like where I have family. So if any come through - I imagine it'll be the latter group.

Then I got rejected from UAB today, who I only applied to like...10 days ago. hah.

Hang in there pontifex! Also got a UAB rejection this am.

Staten Island University Hospital invite on 10/16

none at all. you? dude 250 step1,2. i dont know what it takes.

yea im a caribb student 229.95 247.99

I know right. frustrating is the best word to describe it.

Members don't see this ad :)
i applied to 104. just in case.

i applied to 104. just in case.

w/ stats like yours, im sure u will be hearing something soon, good luck!

and Congrats on ur recent invites Pontifex!

finally got 3. not completely satisfied but hey its a start.

finally got 3. not completely satisfied but hey its a start.
Congrats!! You should get even more after Nov 1. But of course, as mentioned on AM, you only need one. :)

I just got to wondering who all those who have different screennames on AM are on here. BK, Pontifex, and Alex Pink are easy, but everyone else...

Congrats!! You should get even more after Nov 1. But of course, as mentioned on AM, you only need one. :)

I just got to wondering who all those who have different screennames on AM are on here. BK, Pontifex, and Alex Pink are easy, but everyone else...

reagan smash? is that you?

I've picked up a bit - at 9 now. Was hoping to crack double digits before mspes but no dice unless a late one comes today. But I'm happy with how things are going. About half are university so that's good. How's everyone else doing?

I've picked up a bit - at 9 now. Was hoping to crack double digits before mspes but no dice unless a late one comes today. But I'm happy with how things are going. About half are university so that's good. How's everyone else doing?

wow thats awesome, congrats.

I applied to 40 univ progs, i have 13 invites

Congrats Pontifex! I am at 10 now, with the same about half community/half university. The average programs applied to last year was 54 per our school showing us NRMP data.

Congrats Pontifex! I am at 10 now, with the same about half community/half university. The average programs applied to last year was 54 per our school showing us NRMP data.

Wow, I didn't think it was that high. I don't feel so neurotic after all.

Hey all! Getting close to wrapping up here, and I'm sure most people are as well. I have about 4 interviews in Rads left, and only one real travel trip when I knock out 3 of those.

How has everyone's season gone? Exhausted like me? Anywhere you like? For all my crowing about not getting interviews, I ended up with something ridiculous like 17 or 18, and I'm not even a top shelf applicant. Plenty of community places came through towards the end.

Good luck to everyone - we've almost made it!

definitely tired- and i've only gotten 12 Rads IV's.... i think its the stress of the season taking its toll. don't get me wront though, i'll take anything crumbs i can off the waitlist right up to the last day!

:xf:

good luck to all those in need of it :luck:

Hey all! Getting close to wrapping up here, and I'm sure most people are as well. I have about 4 interviews in Rads left, and only one real travel trip when I knock out 3 of those.

How has everyone's season gone? Exhausted like me? Anywhere you like? For all my crowing about not getting interviews, I ended up with something ridiculous like 17 or 18, and I'm not even a top shelf applicant. Plenty of community places came through towards the end.

Good luck to everyone - we've almost made it!
Congrats, Pontifex! I'm exhausted as well. I have one more rads and 3 more prelims to go to. I eventually cancelled some interviews because I was too tired and have rotation obligations...I hope I don't come to regret it.

Have you guys started making your rank lists yet?

A couple more Rads for me left. Started off :soexcited:and by the 15th tour of the 64 slice CT scanners and reading rooms that all look the same, I'm beat:yawn:.

FA has a good template I use to evaluate programs after I interview, but I won't start hashing out my rank-list until I'm completely done. All these programs are starting to blur in my memory.

Congrats, Pontifex! I'm exhausted as well. I have one more rads and 3 more prelims to go to. I eventually cancelled some interviews because I was too tired and have rotation obligations...I hope I don't come to regret it.

Have you guys started making your rank lists yet?

I've been making a running ROL as we go, and I don't think it'll change much. But 1-6 seems to be pretty fluid and I can't decide what order things go on a day to day basis.

FA has a good template I use to evaluate programs after I interview, but I won't start hashing out my rank-list until I'm completely done. All these programs are starting to blur in my memory.
So you're not a big "gut" person? It's funny, I can think of reasons x, y, and z but when it comes down to it it's been relatively easy to make the actual list and hasn't totally followed logic, I guess. The few times I had difficulty was when I was attempting to reconcile reputation vs. location, but I've found location usually wins out if I could see myself being happy at a program.

Good luck to you!

Last edited:
So you're not a big "gut" person? It's funny, I can think of reasons x, y, and z but when it comes down to it it's been relatively easy to make the actual list and hasn't totally followed logic, I guess. The few times I had difficulty was when I was attempting to reconcile reputation vs. location, but I've found location usually wins out if I could see myself being happy at a program.

Good luck to you!

Good luck to you too. I think my biggest factors will be reputation vs location as well, w/ maybe a consideration for moonlighting. Who knows, it's easy to ponder how I'll rank, but I bet it's going to be agonizing when I have to actually do it.

Any of you guys getting "ranked to match" anything?

I missed out on mayo apparently according to AM :(

Any of you guys getting "ranked to match" anything?

I missed out on mayo apparently according to AM :(

Maybe Mayo didn't want you for their medicine-prelim b/c you only got a Pass in Medicine. J/k, just sit tight, we still got 2 more months until match day

I got that letter. but it just verifies if you want to do the prelim or not.

I know on AM a person got "you should match given your position" thingi. I dunno, neurosis begins now as people start getting "ranked to match" whatever. yikes!

good luck ya'll

I got that letter. but it just verifies if you want to do the prelim or not.

I know on AM a person got "you should match given your position" thingi. I dunno, neurosis begins now as people start getting "ranked to match" whatever. yikes!

good luck ya'll
I saw that, too. I really don't think it's anything to worry about. One guy on there said he matched at his #1, despite the fact that he had no communication from them while one of his classmates did get a RTM call. You just never know. And if mayo is where you want to go, definitely let them know!

Not much action here, guess it's all on AM. 2 more days to get those match lists in, I changed mine again today... so nervewracking!

Yeah, it's going to take a lot of will-power on my part to keep myself from changing my ROL!

You guys adding prelims/TYs to the bottom of your ROL? I went on too many radiology interviews and am ranking like 20. I don't know if I want to spend $180 more to put like 6 prelim/TYs on the list.

I put them at the end of my list, yeah. I only interviewed at 12 rads though so not much choice for me! I personally would do it if I were you though since the $ is so little in the end, and it would be much better to have a spot secured next year where you know it's ok in the don't match worst case scenario.

You guys adding prelims/TYs to the bottom of your ROL? I went on too many radiology interviews and am ranking like 20. I don't know if I want to spend $180 more to put like 6 prelim/TYs on the list.

IDK, w/ 20 ranks the chance of you not matching is <2% or something like that. Just spend the $180 if it gives you piece of mind though.

I don't understand this whole - submit and then wait till March 18th.

What is the interim period for? Algorithm can work right after you submit ROL and boom we know where we're going like on the 25th. Jeez these 3 weeks are going to be killer!!

I don't understand this whole - submit and then wait till March 18th.

What is the interim period for? Algorithm can work right after you submit ROL and boom we know where we're going like on the 25th. Jeez these 3 weeks are going to be killer!!

I think they set aside time to manually check the system just in case anything funny comes up. This is a very impt algorithm, and I bet they set aside time to fix any potential problems.

Yeah, I'm sure they run the match multiple times ensuring everything is kosher. Imagine the poor law students who have to wait like 6 months for their bar results!

Today a classmate sent this message to everyone in the class:

3 marriott, 2 motel-6, 4 ramada, 1 hilton, 1 baymont suite, and 5 Best Westerns = $1,392

5 budget, 3 avis, 2 hertz, 6 enterprise = $1,876

12 southwest, 4 Delta, 2 Frontier and 3 United airlines tickets = $14,293

Forgetting to CERTIFY your RANK ORDER LIST after all of the interviews....... PRICELESS.

Don't forget. Best wishes Y'all.

:)