2010-2011 UMDNJ-RWJMS Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Congrats everyone! I interviewed 11/22 as well. Still waiting!:xf: Were all the emails sent out this morning?

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed 11/16. Did not get an email today. Called to ask if a decision had been made. Was told "The committee has not made a decision". Not sure if I should take it at face value or if it means something bad. It's better than being rejected!

Congrats on all who got accepted! I interview on Monday, and I'm completely nervous for their new interview format. I don't even know how to prepare...

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats on all who got accepted! I interview on Monday, and I'm completely nervous for their new interview format. I don't even know how to prepare...

Don't bother preparing... it's not something you can really prepare for. Just be yourself!

Read up on (google) the multiple mini interview format, which RWJ calls the multiple assessment station format, so you have an idea of what you're in for. It's not that bad, really.

Interviewed 11/16. Did not get an email today. Called to ask if a decision had been made. Was told "The committee has not made a decision". Not sure if I should take it at face value or if it means something bad. It's better than being rejected!

So here's something to have hope about:

I called this morning and the woman who answered was very nice. She asked for my name, looked me up, and said "It hasn't come up to the committee yet." I asked her if the committee was planning to meet again before the holidays and she said "We are trying to get a quorum together."

It sounds likes it's the case that this is also what happened for you and that when they told you "no decision" it may really mean just that - hang in there. :xf::xf::xf::xf:

thanks for the info. thats helpful... fingers still crossed!

same here!!! I think you and I interviewed on the same day...I'm sending the deposit in tomorrow woo hoo!

I just got accepted via email yesterday too!! =) Sending my deposit in this weekend, I'M SO EXCITED!!!!

Accepted on Wednesday as well! Interview was 11/16. Congratulations to everyone!

For those who thought they completely bombed the multiple mini interview (like me), don't worry too much!

IS 3.5/36

Wheres my congrats call? lol

The dean is working through the list of ~150 acceptances by alphabetical order. Just got the call late morning, and I'm towards the beginning of the alphabet (last name).

The dean is working through the list of ~150 acceptances by alphabetical order. Just got the call late morning, and I'm towards the beginning of the alphabet (last name).

They've already accepted 150? Is there any hope for those of us who haven't interviewed yet? (I'm on Monday).

Members don't see this ad :)
They've already accepted 150? Is there any hope for those of us who haven't interviewed yet? (I'm on Monday).

I don't think they accepted 150 people yet... Even if they did they are probably going to accept somewhere along the lines of 300 for a class of 120-130 ish so there is still plenty of spots.

that's the same thing I thought. I interview Monday also, and if they've already accepted 150, then what's the point? I'd rather spend my day studying for my microbio final I have Tuesday

They will accept probably 250 - 300 to fill the class though. So you have a perfectly good chance even if you interview before the new year.

Got the post interview hold letter yesterday ... I'm hoping this is the result of them switching away from rolling and that I still have a chance. :(

Got the post interview hold letter yesterday ... I'm hoping this is the result of them switching away from rolling and that I still have a chance. :(

It sounds like you're being deferred and not waitlisted. Non rolling schools do a lot of deferring to the spring so you should call and ask! Good luck though! Brightside: You weren't rejected :thumbup:

does anyone know what the letter said exactly? im home for break but just got this email:

Dear Applicant,

I have received a lot of questions regarding what the "hold" category means. Simply put, it means that the Committee has not yet reviewed your application. Do not read anything into what the "hold" means- it does not signify whether you will, or will not be offered a spot later. Please be patient with us.
We wanted to send you out some notification before the holidays but the Committee did have the necessary time to completely review everyone. We will hold another meeting in mid-January and we will send you the Committee's decision at that time.

I apologize for any confusion the letter may have caused.
Best wishes,

Meryle Kramer

it might mean this was the last meeting before they take off for winter and they havent even looked at our apps.

does anyone know what the letter said exactly? im home for break but just got this email:

Dear Applicant,

I have received a lot of questions regarding what the "hold" category means. Simply put, it means that the Committee has not yet reviewed your application. Do not read anything into what the "hold" means- it does not signify whether you will, or will not be offered a spot later. Please be patient with us.
We wanted to send you out some notification before the holidays but the Committee did have the necessary time to completely review everyone. We will hold another meeting in mid-January and we will send you the Committee's decision at that time.

I apologize for any confusion the letter may have caused.
Best wishes,

Meryle Kramer

it might mean this was the last meeting before they take off for winter and they havent even looked at our apps.

I'm paraphrasing cause I don't have it in front of me, but the letter basically said:

"Thanks for interviewing at RWJMS! We hope you enjoyed visiting the school.

We are writing to inform you that the committee has currently placed your file in a "hold" category. We promise you that all files will be reviewed thoroughly by the committee. We will contact you again in early 2011."

I'm paraphrasing cause I don't have it in front of me, but the letter basically said:

"Thanks for interviewing at RWJMS! We hope you enjoyed visiting the school.

We are writing to inform you that the committee has currently placed your file in a "hold" category. We promise you that all files will be reviewed thoroughly by the committee. We will contact you again in early 2011."

Why call it a "hold" if in actuality they haven't reviewed your file at committee? "Hold" implies you've been reviewed, no decision has been made, and they're moving on to other files. That is not what "hold" means at RWJ. Why not just say exactly what they said in the e-mail and save people the confusion?

Last edited:
For those of you who interviewed on Nov. 29, any news from the school?

So I really enjoyed the interviews today. I like the new MAS format.

Anyone on hold gonna update RW with semester grades?

Why call it a "hold" if in actuality they haven't reviewed your file at committee? "Hold" implies you've been reviewed, no decision has been made, and they're moving on to other files. That is not what "hold" means at RWJ. Why not just say exactly what they said in the e-mail and save people the confusion?

I think because the admissions office is closed for a set period of time over winter break. Temple, for instance, says their office is closed starting Wednesday. I think (hope) its more a time constraint 'hold' rather than an uncertainty hold.

So I really enjoyed the interviews today. I like the new MAS format.

Ugh I did not like it one bit. I think it's much harder to get to know an applicant, especially with most of the questions they ask.

(disclaimer: RWJ did accept me...)

I think because the admissions office is closed for a set period of time over winter break. Temple, for instance, says their office is closed starting Wednesday. I think (hope) its more a time constraint 'hold' rather than an uncertainty hold.

My point was if they wanted to give people an update, then they shouldn't have said "your file is on hold"; they really should have just said "we're sorry the Committee was unable to review your file and give you a decision before the new year. Expect to hear from us as soon as the Committee reconvenes in mid January." Communication is a key skill doctors must possess. I just come to expect the same of med schools.

My point was if they wanted to give people an update, then they shouldn't have said "your file is on hold"; they really should have just said "we're sorry the Committee was unable to review your file and give you a decision before the new year. Expect to hear from us as soon as the Committee reconvenes in mid January." Communication is a key skill doctors must possess. I just come to expect the same of med schools.

Dude. Look at what you wrote. You're Neurotic.
You need to not read so much into this stuff, damn.
It is what it is...even if you are on hold, you send them an update of your fall semester or whatever. Would that change your updating them anyway?

Anyway, I hope the holidays can help people here relax...

I look at it as just a time constraint thing. I mean think about how much slower everything has been moving with their application cycle this year because of the new MAS format. I bet they had set a date for mid-December hoping to be done by then and, just like many other situations and circumstances in life, were not able to meet it. At least they had the courtesy to send out what they did before the holidays.

Dude. Look at what you wrote. You're Neurotic.
You need to not read so much into this stuff, damn.
It is what it is...even if you are on hold, you send them an update of your fall semester or whatever. Would that change your updating them anyway?

Anyway, I hope the holidays can help people here relax...

I suggest you re-read what I wrote. I never said anything about applicants updating the school. FWIW I didn't get an "on hold" letter in the mail. I'm just saying they could have done a better job in notifying people of their "on hold" status.

I agree that the new MAS format likely pushed back the normal timetable--perhaps even more than they had first assumed. I also agree that it was nice of them to let people know of their delay. But it shouldn't take a mailed letter AND an e-mail clarification to get the message across.

IMHO, a hold is a hold. Whether or not they put you on hold because they didn't get a chance to review you or they put you on hold because they reviewed your file and wanted to defer you, a hold is a hold. At least they had the courtesy to tell people that some of them were on hold because they didn't have time for committee to meet before christmas. A hold doesn't really imply anything besides the fact that you have to wait..

Oh... I also didn't like the new interview format :X

I suggest you re-read what I wrote. I never said anything about applicants updating the school. FWIW I didn't get an "on hold" letter in the mail. I'm just saying they could have done a better job in notifying people of their "on hold" status.

I agree that the new MAS format likely pushed back the normal timetable--perhaps even more than they had first assumed. I also agree that it was nice of them to let people know of their delay. But it shouldn't take a mailed letter AND an e-mail clarification to get the message across.

Alright dude, sorry if what I said came off super offensive.
Anyway, I was just thinking you probably shouldn't be trashing an admissions office on a forum like this.

In retrospect, yes, it seems whatever letter you got was confusing and I see your point. Good luck though and do send that update btw :)

Interview invite today. Choices were Jan 11 or Feb 18th. I guess they only interview once a month?

They are slower this year due to the new format. Don't worry though they said they are no longer rolling admissions.
My application was completed in early November and I spoke to Meryle about my profile about a month ago and when I called I was told I am still under review. What can I do to continue to express my interest.

accepted and will probably be going : ) ...we really should start a facebook group! :)

My application was completed in early November and I spoke to Meryle about my profile about a month ago and when I called I was told I am still under review. What can I do to continue to express my interest.

I think sending a letter of update/interest never hurts. That being said, you were complete not too long ago so I think you should just wait it out a bit more and send a letter a little later.

haha OKAY, I did it... search RWJMS 2015! ....we are on facebook!

oy... well I know someone was able to find it because now the group has a heavily populated 2 members (including myself haha)... I don't know what to suggest other than try searching again? it is exactly "RWJMS 2015!"

oy... well I know someone was able to find it because now the group has a heavily populated 2 members (including myself haha)... I don't know what to suggest other than try searching again? it is exactly "RWJMS 2015!"

Wow that's the weirdest thing. I tried like 50 variation without the quotation marks and nothing came up but once i put the quotation marks outside as well, it came up first thing!

Complete Mid-August. I sent in an email a while back and got a response to hold tight they are slow.

I got in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got the email/call just now. I was a pretty late applicant, these guys were the first to get back to me and give me an interview. I interviewed on Dec 20.

3.7/29

...gives hope to sub-30 MCATS ^^

WOOT

Status
Not open for further replies.