2010-2011 PhD/PsyD Interview Invite thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I emailed Houston and was told me they are currently inviting people for interviews with will be the weekend of March 5th. They wouldn't tell me if I was one of them or not. As for UT-Austin I've heard they aren't done weeding out applications yet.

Members don't see this ad.

2 rejections today, from Central Michigan and U Wisconsin Milwaukee. Although I was expecting them both, still grrr :mad: If I didn't have one interview at a school I really like, and a waitlist, I'd probably be cliff jumping about now . . . or wine. Lots of wine.

I emailed Houston and was told me they are currently inviting people for interviews with will be the weekend of March 5th. They wouldn't tell me if I was one of them or not. As for UT-Austin I've heard they aren't done weeding out applications yet.

Thanks for the info. That's pretty much what I heard a week ago. I guess it's almost time to give up on UH, though, because that wouldn't be much advance notice if people were invited next week.

What about University of Wisconsin at Madison? I haven't noticed them on gradcafe, but I may have missed something..

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the info. That's pretty much what I heard a week ago. I guess it's almost time to give up on UH, though, because that wouldn't be much advance notice if people were invited next week.

What about University of Wisconsin at Madison? I haven't noticed them on gradcafe, but I may have missed something..
I haven't heard a peep from them. My status stopped showing up when I signed in to their student section with my pin number, but I never bothered to follow up about it.

Hi - I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about interviews to Indiana University of Pennsylvania's PsyD program? I received an email last week saying I would be getting another email this week followed by an actual letter letting me know about the status of my application, but have gotten nothing. Has anyone received an interview invitation, or know if they have sent out invites yet?

Thanks!

Has anyone gotten a rejection from the University of South Florida? According to gradcafe they sent out mass rejections today, but I didn't get one, nor did I receive an interview?!

Hi - I was wondering if anyone had heard anything about interviews to Indiana University of Pennsylvania's PsyD program? I received an email last week saying I would be getting another email this week followed by an actual letter letting me know about the status of my application, but have gotten nothing. Has anyone received an interview invitation, or know if they have sent out invites yet?

Thanks!

Yes, I have an interview there this weekend. I believe they are also interviewing next weekend. I am not sure if they are still sending out invites or not. You may want to try calling and asking. I have had to do that at a few schools.

Good luck! :)

Yes, I have an interview there this weekend. I believe they are also interviewing next weekend. I am not sure if they are still sending out invites or not. You may want to try calling and asking. I have had to do that at a few schools.

Good luck! :)

Thanks for responding. Congratulations by the way! How did you receive the invitation? Did you get an email similar to the one I described, just an email inviting you to the interview, a phone call, or what? Thanks again.

I haven't heard a peep from them. My status stopped showing up when I signed in to their student section with my pin number, but I never bothered to follow up about it.

I didn't even realize there was a status page. I activated my ID thing, and my status says "Pending." Huh.

Just returned from a daylong interview and hoping to find something in my email box from Gallaudet. Nothing. I think I have to call it and focus on my next interview. Has anyone gotten an invite from them today??? Not that I really want to know but I guess I want to...

Last edited:
Just returned from a daylong interview and hoping to find something in my email box from Gallaudet. Nothing. I think I have to call it and focus on my next interview. Has anyone gotten an invite from them today??? Not that I really want to know but I guess I want to...

Thanks for responding. Congratulations by the way! How did you receive the invitation? Did you get an email similar to the one I described, just an email inviting you to the interview, a phone call, or what? Thanks again.

I had gotten the same email as you, about a week prior to getting the invite. Then I got an email invitation. But like I said, you never know if they're done or not! Keep the hope up! :)

I received a phone call interview invite from GWU Psy.D today! I was told by a secretary when I called that they were done extending invites, so this was a very pleasant and unexpected call (I had pretty much given up hope entirely). Anyway, just wanted to encourage people not to lose hope yet!

Members don't see this ad :)

I haven't heard anything. My obsession with refreshing my email is driving me nuts!! after all, it is the ONLY thing I'm waiting on. Hence, I shall continue hoping on it.

I've also been checking the website, and nothing! It still shows the admission form, but the site will be down on Feb 25- 26, I'm making a wild guess that they'd be updating status then... Perhaps, we still have next week to wait on??

Meanwhile, all the best on your interview!

They are, indeed, finished interview invites for Rutgers PsyD...ah well...at least I sitll have other schools holding out for me :)

I'm wondering how you know that they are finished sending out interview invites- is it just because the person who received an invite's email was addressed "Dear Applicant"?

I'm wondering what's up because I went to an interview yesterday at Loyola Md, and more than a few people hadn't heard from Rutgers PsyD yet.

One kid did say that he found out by checking his online portal and seeing "Rejected" in the decision box, but when I check mine it still says "No decision."

Another said she called Rutgers PsyD and the admissions lady told her they would be notifying people by this coming week.

Idk if I'm holding out false hope- anyone have any insight?

I don't know for sure, but I would assume that they are done sending out invites. I think that there is a current student on the forum who had said that they are done. Also, their interview is on 2/28. That is right around the corner.

My decision box also said "no decision." I am not holding out hope at this point.

I'm wondering how you know that they are finished sending out interview invites- is it just because the person who received an invite's email was addressed "Dear Applicant"?

I'm wondering what's up because I went to an interview yesterday at Loyola Md, and more than a few people hadn't heard from Rutgers PsyD yet.

One kid did say that he found out by checking his online portal and seeing "Rejected" in the decision box, but when I check mine it still says "No decision."

Another said she called Rutgers PsyD and the admissions lady told her they would be notifying people by this coming week.

Idk if I'm holding out false hope- anyone have any insight?

Has anyone heard anything from Jackson State clinical program since Wed.? I received a letter that said all student would be informed of their status with regards to interview invites by Wed. That letter came by snail mail and I have not received any e-mail correspondence from them. I'm worried that if I do get an invite by the time the letter arrives there will be little time to make preparations. :confused:

Hey guys,

I go to Rutgers Undergrad and I know a professor there who is on the interviewing committee and she said that they are done with interviews invites. If your status is "Pending", there is hope. If it's "No decision" - it's most likely if not definitely - a rejection letter coming our way.

I have applied to 13 clinical and clinical health psychology programs this year, and have secured a few interviews, and luckily I had a really great interview at a place that's a great fit and am waiting to hear if I got in there. I've been reminding myself that all I need is one good fit that accepts me, but I suppose I'm letting my ego get to me too much because I really do have excellent credentials, and I've talked to other applicants with similar credentials who have applied to the same programs, and we're not getting invited to a lot of great fits for us. However, I've heard people who admit they have questionable stats (low GPAs or GREs), who seem to be getting more interview invites. It bothers me because I really wanted the opportunity to get interviewed at some good fit programs where I also have family and friend support and I hate telling them there looks like there's no way I'll be anywhere near them. It doesn't hurt to be humbled, but I'm just wondering if those of us with great stats have some huge blind spot to something that's affecting our invites and could possibly affect being chosen for a program.

Here's an idea of my stats/CV (somewhat de-identified):

GRE range - 1450-1500 (the scores are from a few years ago)
GPA - magna cum laude, 3.7, from a top 25 school
I have a B.A. in Psychology, and I have a Spanish minor. I received Phi Beta Kappa and Psi Chi honors, Dean's List every semester.

I did 1 year of research my last year of undergrad, I've worked in a community mental health clinic and also in an academic research lab. I wouldn't call myself bilingual (no one's going to confuse me with a native speaker), but I have worked in a "bilingual" position. I've worked with adults, adolescents, and children with psychopathologies and substance abuse issues.

One of the only major issues I can think of is that my area of interest within health psychology is an emerging area and at this point most of the experts in the field work only with adults. Much of the work in this area with kids seems to be the result of one of the experts who works with adults collaborating with another faculty member who works with kids and adolescents. I've been asked about whether I'd be happy not working with kids. My answers and my personal statement convey pretty clearly that learning the intervention/methods in my specific area of interest is primary, although I want my training to be well-rounded enough that I can adapt it to multiple age groups and family interventions. For me this means that my research and dissertation may only be with adults but my practica involve rotations in family and C&A services. It could also mean doing an internship in pediatric psychology or a post-doc in it so I have the qualifications to work with all members and ages in a family or family dyads.

Other than that...I don't know what's going on. I am really tempted to e-mail back a program director or two because I have been told in personal e-mail that I have excellent, highly-regarded credentials and yet I have been rejected. In interviews I hear, "You will probably have your pick of schools." I'm thinking they think I'm one of those 8 interview superstars I hear about!

So here are my theories, feedback appreciated:

-My subspecialty is competitive and popular.
-People who work with adults only are worried about the fit (I guess it doesn't help that when listing 3 faculty choices, the 2nd or 3rd is usually the one C&A-focused faculty member).
-A theory offered to me was that schools assume I'm going with more highly-ranked programs (questionable to me).
-The programs had already picked their students including profs. deciding to take each others' students (another theory offered to me, but I would think they still have to invite at least 2 people per faculty member otherwise it does give the appearance of pre-selection).
-Programs are picking names out of a hat after screening out the bottom tier. I've never been lucky with games of chance!

Trying to remember...whether you have 10 interviews or 2, each of us only needs 1 match!

I have applied to 13 clinical and clinical health psychology programs this year, and have secured a few interviews, and luckily I had a really great interview at a place that's a great fit and am waiting to hear if I got in there. I've been reminding myself that all I need is one good fit that accepts me, but I suppose I'm letting my ego get to me too much because I really do have excellent credentials, and I've talked to other applicants with similar credentials who have applied to the same programs, and we're not getting invited to a lot of great fits for us. However, I've heard people who admit they have questionable stats (low GPAs or GREs), who seem to be getting more interview invites. It bothers me because I really wanted the opportunity to get interviewed at some good fit programs where I also have family and friend support and I hate telling them there looks like there's no way I'll be anywhere near them. It doesn't hurt to be humbled, but I'm just wondering if those of us with great stats have some huge blind spot to something that's affecting our invites and could possibly affect being chosen for a program.

I have a B.A. in Psychology, and I have a Spanish minor. I received Phi Beta Kappa and Psi Chi honors, Dean's List every semester.

I did 1 year of research my last year of undergrad, I've worked in a community mental health clinic and also in an academic research lab. I wouldn't call myself bilingual (no one's going to confuse me with a native speaker), but I have worked in a "bilingual" position. I've worked with adults, adolescents, and children with psychopathologies and substance abuse issues.

One of the only major issues I can think of is that my area of interest within health psychology is an emerging area and at this point most of the experts in the field work only with adults. Much of the work in this area with kids seems to be the result of one of the experts who works with adults collaborating with another faculty member who works with kids and adolescents. I've been asked about whether I'd be happy not working with kids. My answers and my personal statement convey pretty clearly that learning the intervention/methods in my specific area of interest is primary, although I want my training to be well-rounded enough that I can adapt it to multiple age groups and family interventions. For me this means that my research and dissertation may only be with adults but my practica involve rotations in family and C&A services. It could also mean doing an internship in pediatric psychology or a post-doc in it so I have the qualifications to work with all members and ages in a family or family dyads.

Other than that...I don't know what's going on. I am really tempted to e-mail back a program director or two because I have been told in personal e-mail that I have excellent, highly-regarded credentials and yet I have been rejected. In interviews I hear, "You will probably have your pick of schools." I'm thinking they think I'm one of those 8 interview superstars I hear about!

-People who work with adults only are worried about the fit (I guess it doesn't help that when listing 3 faculty choices, the 2nd or 3rd is usually the one C&A-focused faculty member).
-A theory offered to me was that schools assume I'm going with more highly-ranked programs (questionable to me).
-The programs had already picked their students including profs. deciding to take each others' students (another theory offered to me, but I would think they still have to invite at least 2 people per faculty member otherwise it does give the appearance of pre-selection).
-Programs are picking names out of a hat after screening out the bottom tier. I've never been lucky with games of chance!

Trying to remember...whether you have 10 interviews or 2, each of us only needs 1 match!

Everything looks great. I just didn't see information about research match, meaning not just interest, but also research experience. The experience also depends on the levels, which some people may have been a PI before and some people were just entering data. Those are big differences to look at if I were a POI. And right now I am just a mere applicant.

This process is a crapshoot. Simply having good numbers and a resume to match doesn't equate acceptance. If this was the case, the mean gpa would be 4.0 and the average gre score would be over 1400 with a 6 writing score. Having done this process several time and finally gaining acceptance after a few years, I think it's safe to say that this process is somewhat arbitrary and highly depends on the people you interview with ....and the impression you leave behind. If you go in thinking you're better than sliced bread...good luck to you. I don't have advice to give, but only experience to say, wait, sit tight. If you're meant to go you will. It may just take time. There are always better people out there with more life experience and good stats.

Just my two cents.

I don't think I'm better than sliced bread, but I was told before the process began that my stats should get me plenty of responses. I certainly don't walk into interviews feeling cocky, but I've spent a few years amassing the experience and background I felt I would need to be competitive, and it's certainly frustrating to not be able to find much logic in the process. I feel like everyone I know doing/who have completed professional programs (MD, JD, DDS), knew exactly what they had to do to be competitive, and they did it, and they were in - not to mention their applications got to go through one place and distributed, which is nice!

As far as research - I've coordinated a study. I haven't published or presented yet, and I'm not sure how many applicants have. Then again I know of people who were in my lab before me who had and that didn't get them admission, either. Again, hard to find the logic in the process...

I'm not saying you "are better than sliced bread" per se. I think it's important to have perspective and stay grounded. No one is entitled to anything in this society. Even with all the accomplishment accolades in the world, nothing may come of it. It is arbitrary. It is merciless. Don't get discouraged. It's still the middle of the decision season so there is plenty of time (the rest of Feb and end of March). At the end of the day people are making decisions about other people. It took me several times to get into school. If there is any trick, it's to remain true to your path.

As far as research - I've coordinated a study. I haven't published or presented yet, and I'm not sure how many applicants have. Then again I know of people who were in my lab before me who had and that didn't get them admission, either. Again, hard to find the logic in the process...

I don't know the percentages, but I do know that many students who are accepted into programs have had publications and presentations.

Good luck!!! Hope you get into a program that is an excellent fit for you.

Hey everyone... Have any of you heard about admission decisions into PhD programs being rigged so that the faculty member has their mind made up prior to the interviews? I'm starting to think this is the case for one of the programs I interviewed with. The faculty member I'm interested in working with has been posting on another applicant's facebook implying that the applicant is in. I find it odd that they are friends on facebook to begin with. Seems like a conflict of interest. I'm feeling that this decision isn't going to necessarily be "objective."

Any thoughts on the ethics/prevalence of this kind of thing?

Having been on the other side of this as a grad student, and helping with the selection process, folks who have the stats and the fit but still don't get a lot of offers might benefit from taking a good, hard look at the way they interview and how they come across in that setting. Personality during the entire interview process is a huge factor in separating out the folks who get offers from the folks who don't, and in my experience folks for whom this is a problem also often have a blind spot for the very issue that's causing them trouble.

The kind of stuff that makes you look bad in an interview:
-Asking the wrong questions (e.g., asking a lot of questions that seem to be probing for negative things/drama in the program)
-Questions that imply some level of laziness/similar (asking if courses are not important, asking if you can get away with little clinical work)
-Asking too many from-the-book questions (i.e., you sound like you're rattling off the same 20 questions from the insider's guide that everyone asks)
-Not asking the right questions (e.g., not asking about funding, cost of living, logistics of living)
-Being vague about fit when you talk about it
-When asked about research interests, basically repeating what's on the prof's web site
-Being hostile to the other applicants (Bad!!)
-Not asking questions (even if you already asked someone about cost of living, another person might have a different take... never say you're "questioned out"!!)
-Being negative (this is more nuanced... some people talk about everything in terms of "I hate ABC" and "I don't dislike XYZ," rather than "I don't like ABC" and "I like XYZ" and they come across as really negative)
-For folks who like research, not having a good answer for "why not social/neuropsych/whatever else is the non-clinical version of what you do?"
-Not asking current grad students questions (in many programs we have a substantial say in decisions, especially within the lab, as we're the ones who'd be seeing you all the time).

Agreed! Also, from observation of candidates, not being yourself. Seriously, the process is stressful. I think it is especially easy, for psychologists ever more so, to tell when someone just doesn't fit. You can't fake fit. The whole interview process is gauging not just your credentials, but your personality. If you have a flaw and try to hide it...it may still reveal itself in something you say. There are no real stress questions, when I meet candidates, I just am honest and open. And, I'm hoping not to meet the "representative" but the real person. Do you know how to interact with people...seeing as how your whole career will be based on this...

There really is a lot of luck involved. It sucks, but that's just the way it is, unfortunately. A lot of people with bachelor's levels have presented, even if many haven't published. What kind of jobs in research did you do? I know people who say they had X amount of research experience, but all they did was do data entry. Do you have the opportunity to do hands on research? Did you write any kind of thesis?

If, unfortunately, this year doesn't pan out, I'd say get more research if you can, doing a variety of tasks. See if you can conduct a small study, perhaps do a little bit of clinical volunteer work.

We all have our strengths and weaknesses, which is why this is so hard to judge, and why there's no specific formula. I have 3+ years of research (FT & PT), presentations, an honors thesis, clinical work, neuro work, etc, but my GRE isn't as high. If we could read the minds of our POIs this would all be so much easier :laugh: Then we'd know EXACTLY what it takes to get in!

For those wondering, I received a rejection email from them yesterday (at my Loyola interview, nonetheless). If you haven't received one then perhaps there is still hope?

For those wondering, I received a rejection email from them yesterday (at my Loyola interview, nonetheless). If you haven't received one then perhaps there is still hope?

I was there too! What did you think? I loved Loyola's program!

As for Rutgers, I haven't received anything from them, but when I checked my application status on Friday night, I discovered that one of my recommenders (who I've slaved for for 3 years now) never submitted his online LOR. When I emailed him about it, he claimed he "never got anything from Rutgers," which I have a hard time believing since my other online LORs were submitted in December (this isn't the first time something like this has happened-- he's very flaky). I know it's partially my fault for not calling to check up on my application after submitting it, but I'm pretty upset because, since my app was incomplete, it was probably not even reviewed, which is even worse than getting rejected. Especially because I took the Psych GRE just for Rutgers! What should I do? Is there anything I can do at this point?

Well, first, it does sound like you did get some interviews, so congratulations on those! There is a certain amount of luck in the system, and people just don't get every interview they'd like. Unlike law school, for example, where if your GPA and LSAT score are high enough, you're likely to make the cut. And that's definitely tough for overachievers like many of us who are used to trying hard and believe the saying "if you work hard enough, you can get it."

That said, as I'm now on the other side of the admissions process, I can think of a couple of things that may not have been ideal. I'm not sure how long you've been out, but you say a year of research experience. Are you applying straight out of undergrad or have you been out doing research a couple of years? I'd say people who are coming straight out are at a disadvantage, in general. If you have been out longer, have you been doing research in that time? A year just isn't that much research experience.

Second, it sounds like you're a pediatric health psych person, who applied to work with a lot of adult health psych people (potentially because of health psych tracks). I know there are fewer peds health people out there, and that can be an issue, and it's unfortunate. But, for the places where you said you wanted to do peds health, child placements, but wanted an adult health mentor, I think that's a tough sell. I know what you mean and how you could combine strengths, but depending on the program, that's more or less feasible. My program has somewhat of a child track and health track, and although it's all part of one program, the faculty on those tracks are pretty disparate. All the people working with health faculty are adult people, do adult research, and are linked into those adult health placements. Similarly, the child people do child research, child placements, AND the peds placements, even if they're not directly doing peds research. I would think that if someone wrote they wanted to work with Dr. X health and Dr. Y child on their statement, it just would look odd. Dr. X would feel they couldn't guide you in child stuff, and Dr. Y would feel that they weren't really a research match, so both would worry about fit if they were your primary mentor. Plus, especially to casual readers of your statement, it would look like you didn't really know what you wanted since your mentor interests were so different, and people just don't apply to work with that combo of people. Most people's statements read Dr. A child, Dr. B child, and Dr. C child in terms of mentor interests, where you can more easily see the connection because those people's research are somewhat related.

That said, I know what you mean, and I know there are peds programs out there, or child researchers who have a health component, even if its not their major focus. Plus, focus on the interviews you have!! You've gotten some, and better to focus on those and on the future than contemplate what happened to the ones that didn't.

I don't think I'm better than sliced bread, but I was told before the process began that my stats should get me plenty of responses. I certainly don't walk into interviews feeling cocky, but I've spent a few years amassing the experience and background I felt I would need to be competitive, and it's certainly frustrating to not be able to find much logic in the process. I feel like everyone I know doing/who have completed professional programs (MD, JD, DDS), knew exactly what they had to do to be competitive, and they did it, and they were in - not to mention their applications got to go through one place and distributed, which is nice!

I know how you feel. I believe that I am a competitive candidate with an impressive cv, yet I have been denied from schools that I was sure would at least grant me an interview. When it all boils down to it, and I CANNOT emphasize this enough, it really comes down to match. You can be the most amazing person in the universe, but if you and the program just do not mesh, or your goals do not parallel the objectives of the program, it is not likely that you will be given an offer. It makes sense, but it can certainly be a disapointment.

And one last thing, in regards to professional degrees (JD, MD, DDS), it is those programs where stats truly matter. The MCAT is a much greater predictor of academic success in med school than the GRE is for those in grad school. And plus, think about how many subspecialties there are in medicine and law. They can afford to take many students, especially because there is always a demand for more doctors. When you are applying to doctoral programs in psychology, only so many people out the hundreds applying can be accomadated to do the super specific field of research that they are interested in.

Last edited:
Hey everyone... Have any of you heard about admission decisions into PhD programs being rigged so that the faculty member has their mind made up prior to the interviews? I'm starting to think this is the case for one of the programs I interviewed with. The faculty member I'm interested in working with has been posting on another applicant's facebook implying that the applicant is in. I find it odd that they are friends on facebook to begin with. Seems like a conflict of interest. I'm feeling that this decision isn't going to necessarily be "objective."

Any thoughts on the ethics/prevalence of this kind of thing?

wow posting on FB that he is in? how ridiculous. I'd bet that faculty member could really get into trouble!

oh and
2yvl161.jpg

I just noticed that someone has updated (in the 1st post) that they have received interview invitation from Gallaudet through email on feb 17.

Would that person pls share with me (on here or via PM), from whom did you get the email? Does the email suggests the everyone has been notified? hence no hope for the remaining others :( ?

Thanks, everyone, for your responses! It's hard to right a "here are my stats, what's up?" post without possibly sounding full of myself, but I appreciate that some of you could see where I'm coming from, trying to understand what parts of the formula are so important besides stats, and giving me some well thought-out answers. I've been out of school for a few years doing research and clinical work in that time, so the thought of reapplying after waiting even longer is maddening, for sure, but I can see that it gets more difficult when I'm competing with applicants who may have presented, published, and/or done theses. I don't think it's an interviewing issue - my wonder was more why I wasn't getting to the interview stage at some places I thought were "good fits" in the first place. Now I also have some confirmation that getting the multi-population/age group training I want is going to take some work on my part, but I am resourceful and hopefully persuasive! I am pretty happy about my current favorite and how that interview went, and while the other one wasn't bad, it just didn't flow as naturally as my favorite. One more to go!

I just noticed that someone has updated (in the 1st post) that they have received interview invitation from Gallaudet through email on feb 17.

Would that person pls share with me (on here or via PM), from whom did you get the email? Does the email suggests the everyone has been notified? hence no hope for the remaining others :( ?

...as well as on the 18th...which may mean that chances are slim by now...:confused:

For people asking about Gallaudet, they started extending interviews on Fri. (but this was individually). There still might be hope since if was on an individual basis. PM if necessary. Also, are some of you asking about Gallaudet hearing? Thanks and good luck : )

Anyone heading to Denver this week for interviews?

Anyone interviewed before at University of Denver GSPP for their PsyD and have any advice for the interview process?

Thanks, everyone, for your responses! It's hard to right a "here are my stats, what's up?" post without possibly sounding full of myself, but I appreciate that some of you could see where I'm coming from, trying to understand what parts of the formula are so important besides stats, and giving me some well thought-out answers. I've been out of school for a few years doing research and clinical work in that time, so the thought of reapplying after waiting even longer is maddening, for sure, but I can see that it gets more difficult when I'm competing with applicants who may have presented, published, and/or done theses. I don't think it's an interviewing issue - my wonder was more why I wasn't getting to the interview stage at some places I thought were "good fits" in the first place. Now I also have some confirmation that getting the multi-population/age group training I want is going to take some work on my part, but I am resourceful and hopefully persuasive! I am pretty happy about my current favorite and how that interview went, and while the other one wasn't bad, it just didn't flow as naturally as my favorite. One more to go!

It's definitely a tough process, and trying to figure out how/why you aren't receiving as many interviews as you'd hoped or anticipated is often frustrating. As another poster above mentioned, the child/adolescent interests while applying to adult-focused mentors/programs is indeed a hard sell.

Also, if your question relates to not receiving interviews in the first place (as opposed to receiving multiple interviews and then not receiving acceptance offers), one key area to check out is your personal statement/other essays. It carries a LOT of weight in helping professors decide who should get the nod for an interview offer. Heck, my mentor can practically still quote parts of my statement from years ago back to me.

Beyond that, the only other area I could see that might raise a flag is research--I saw that you mentioned you've been adding to the one year of experience (which, sadly, would be on the low side), and that's excellent. However, if someone has been working in research for a few years but doesn't have at least a presentation or two to show for it, it could send the message that the individual is just "along for the ride" and isn't self-motivated enough to take the necessary additional steps to get on a poster. I do see that you mentioned having coordinated studies, which is great, and should make getting your name attached to a few pubs/posters all that much easier.

As for Rutgers, I haven't received anything from them, but when I checked my application status on Friday night, I discovered that one of my recommenders (who I've slaved for for 3 years now) never submitted his online LOR. When I emailed him about it, he claimed he "never got anything from Rutgers," which I have a hard time believing since my other online LORs were submitted in December (this isn't the first time something like this has happened-- he's very flaky). I know it's partially my fault for not calling to check up on my application after submitting it, but I'm pretty upset because, since my app was incomplete, it was probably not even reviewed, which is even worse than getting rejected. Especially because I took the Psych GRE just for Rutgers! What should I do? Is there anything I can do at this point?

I loved Loyola also- I think everyone I spoke to who was interviewing got a really good feeling from the place.

As far as Rutgers goes, I would reach out to the admissions coordinator. She's very down to earth and responsive, and it doesn't hurt to give her a call and explain the situation.

I also have a question about the Rutgers online system- I also took the Psych GRE basically for Rutgers, LaSalle, and American, but when I look at my online system, it doesn't have my Psych GRE scores listed. It has all the other general scores, but not that one. Are your Psych GRE scores listed online? Maybe it's because I submitted my online application before my Psych GRE scores were available, then had them sent to Rutgers after I submitted everything else (but still well before the deadline)?

I still think it would be so much easier if schools sent out rejections as they sent out invites, but that's just me.

Good luck everyone!

Having been on the other side of this as a grad student, and helping with the selection process, folks who have the stats and the fit but still don't get a lot of offers might benefit from taking a good, hard look at the way they interview and how they come across in that setting. Personality during the entire interview process is a huge factor in separating out the folks who get offers from the folks who don't, and in my experience folks for whom this is a problem also often have a blind spot for the very issue that's causing them trouble.

The kind of stuff that makes you look bad in an interview:
-Asking the wrong questions (e.g., asking a lot of questions that seem to be probing for negative things/drama in the program)
-Questions that imply some level of laziness/similar (asking if courses are not important, asking if you can get away with little clinical work)
-Asking too many from-the-book questions (i.e., you sound like you're rattling off the same 20 questions from the insider's guide that everyone asks)
-Not asking the right questions (e.g., not asking about funding, cost of living, logistics of living)
-Being vague about fit when you talk about it
-When asked about research interests, basically repeating what's on the prof's web site
-Being hostile to the other applicants (Bad!!)
-Not asking questions (even if you already asked someone about cost of living, another person might have a different take... never say you're "questioned out"!!)
-Being negative (this is more nuanced... some people talk about everything in terms of "I hate ABC" and "I don't dislike XYZ," rather than "I don't like ABC" and "I like XYZ" and they come across as really negative)
-For folks who like research, not having a good answer for "why not social/neuropsych/whatever else is the non-clinical version of what you do?"
-Not asking current grad students questions (in many programs we have a substantial say in decisions, especially within the lab, as we're the ones who'd be seeing you all the time).

Thanks this is really what I needed to know. I hope I read this before my first interview! I was asked the similar question as to why not social or other discipline? I am wondering what you consider as a good answer? I basically said that I am interested in mentally ill/clinical population. I guess this may not be enough?

And I have to say that all these "red flags" kind of freak me out. I feel that shall we just be a mediocre student to avoid any uniqueness? I mean it reminds me of the game called Mafia. I was pretty good at it and one good tip of mine to stay until the end or very close to the end is to stay in the middle, meaning not to stand out as too outspoken and not to be too silent. For those who are too outspoken they would think that you are the mafia and you want to defend yourself, or that you may point out the real mafia and you will be killed by mafia. For those who are silent they want you killed first because you don't know how to defend yourself and not contributing and mafias also want to get rid of you first for the reason of following along. I felt that I started to ruminate about me possibly being too outspoken in the interview and felt that I have committed at least ten mistakes.

Last edited:
Thanks this is really what I needed to know. I hope I read this before my first interview! I was asked the similar question as to why not social or other discipline? I am wondering what you consider as a good answer? I basically said that I am interested in mentally ill/clinical population. I guess this may not be enough?

And I have to say that all these "red flags" kind of freak me out. I feel that shall we just be a mediocre student to avoid any uniqueness? I mean it reminds me of the game called Mafia. I was pretty good at it and one good tip of mine to stay until the end or very close to the end is to stay in the middle, meaning not to stand out as too outspoken and not to be too silent. For those who are too outspoken they would think that you are the mafia and you want to defend yourself, or that you may point out the real mafia and you will be killed by mafia. For those who are silent they want you killed first because you don't know how to defend yourself and not contributing and mafias also want to get rid of you first for the reason of following along. I felt that I started to ruminate about me possibly being too outspoken in the interview and felt that I have committed at least ten mistakes.

Best. Game. Ever. :thumbup:

I really loved the program. I thought everyone (faculty, students, and applicants) were all fantastic. I would love to get an offer from them, but we'll see!

Any news on La Salle's PsyD? I know their interview day isn't until mid-March.

Temple--I was waitlisted too...high alternate list. Did you get a ranking?

La Salle--I haven't heard anything yet. I don't expect to hear from them for at least another week or two.

Rutgers PsyD--Not holding my breath...

For those of you who got wait list notifications for Temple, congrats! Would you mind PMing me your POIs? I would really appreciate it. Still haven't heard anything, and starting to think I might not but would be nice to have some certainty about it. Thanks.

Anyone, anything from CSU Counseling Psych Program? They are the last ones on my list, and now the curiousity is starting to get the best of me!

I'm thinking if no one has heard anything yet, it will probably be this week (according to last years thread).

I still can't believe that they don't interview!! (I read this info on an earlier post in this thread)

I guess it makes a little bit of sense though, with how late they are extending acceptances/rejections.

Any info is appreciated!

Last edited:
Anyone, anything from CSU? They are the last ones on my list, and now the curiousity is starting to get the best of me!

I'm thinking if no one has heard anything yet, it will probably be this week (according to last years thread).

I still can't believe that they don't interview!! (I read this info on an earlier post in this thread)

I guess it makes a little bit of sense though, with how late they are extending acceptances/rejections.

Any info is appreciated!
I'm waiting as well and emailed today... No word yet.