2010-2011 PhD/PsyD Interview Invite thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I talked to FDU yesterday. they said that they would be sending out invites yesterday and today. So there's still hope! :)

Thanks, you too :)

Members don't see this ad.

I was recently invited to a TC interview and St John's interview for School Psych on the same day. I had already asked St John's to accomodate me in a conflict earlier, and this was the date they changed it to. Now my only bet is to ask TC to change the date of my interview with them.

If it comes down to choosing one or the other, does anyone have suggestions? TC historically has little to no funding, and St John's has some funding. It is also Ph.D vs. Psy.D. I think a major part of my indecision surrounds turning down an opportunity at a "Columbia-affiliated" program.

Any thoughts?
:confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I just interviewed at Pepperdine and I think I did really really well! (my interviewer was very impressed with my background and experience, and as closing he said he had no doubt I would be successful in the doctoral program) I'm just kind of scared of getting my hopes up so does anyone know whether doing really well in the interview ensures entrance in the program??

It is obviously a really good sign. HOWEVER, people have been given similar comments and received great vibes from faculty only to later receive a rejection letter. (In fact, if you search posts from previous years, you will find a couple that have basically been told they were in, and then received a rejection letter.) My recommendation: Be cautiously optimistic!!!

Good luck!!!

I just interviewed at Pepperdine and I think I did really really well! (my interviewer was very impressed with my background and experience, and as closing he said he had no doubt I would be successful in the doctoral program) I'm just kind of scared of getting my hopes up so does anyone know whether doing really well in the interview ensures entrance in the program??

How come I had never felt that I did really really well in an interview in my whole life!
Starting the second half of the day I would start ruminating about what I may have done wrong...and start to resist it and continue with the rest of the interviews.

How come I had never felt that I did really really well in an interview in my whole life!
Starting the second half of the day I would start ruminating about what I may have done wrong...and start to resist it and continue with the rest of the interviews.

You need some confidence! You are at the interview because you already looked great on paper. There was obviously something about you that the school was interested in. Now, all you need to do is go in and rock the interview! I honestly think confidence plays a pretty big factor. You also want to show that you can handle the pressure of a doctoral interview.

Just curious--what are people's thoughts on creating a thread for helping people make decisions between schools that have offered them admission?

Would the thread have to be pretty anonymous, i.e. "I'm choosing between School A and School B, instead of (e.g., these aren't my own options) Fordham and Hofstra? Would keeping it anonymous make it more difficult to give advice?

I (or someone else) can create a thread for this if people seem to want it. I definitely need some help choosing :oops:

Hi everyone! I know I've asked this a couple of times, but did anyone here apply to St. Louis University's clinical PhD program? They had a later deadline and I'm anxiously waiting to hear about possible interviews? I'm forcing myself to not contact the program just yet...they sent out interview invites around this time last year....

Thanks a bunch!

Just curious--what are people's thoughts on creating a thread for helping people make decisions between schools that have offered them admission?

Would the thread have to be pretty anonymous, i.e. "I'm choosing between School A and School B, instead of (e.g., these aren't my own options) Fordham and Hofstra? Would keeping it anonymous make it more difficult to give advice?

I (or someone else) can create a thread for this if people seem to want it. I definitely need some help choosing :oops:

Yes, I think that is a good idea :D

Anyone else going to be at the IUP PsyD interview this coming Monday/dinner with current students on Sunday night?

I am excited! :D

FYI for anyone else going to Hofstra - apparently it's just a 2 hour thing. She "scheduled" me for 12pm, said I'd probably meet with the professor I applied to, I'd get to talk to some students, and they'd give me a tour. But it's not a whole day thing by any means. Which makes me a little annoyed that I'm going to pay $250 to fly there for two hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok, that sucks but... LOL.

Mine isn't nearly as good (awful?) as crossing out the wrong date and writing the right one in, but I did get a rejection where the director signed off with:

"peace, Program Director's Name, Ph.D."

I felt like I had just rejected by the lead singer in my little brother's garage band in response to my request to sit on bass while I was home for spring break.

It also had an ambiguous title with regard to acceptance/denial, and the only thing that was visible on the preview mode of my e-mail was something like, "Dear Space Owl, Hello! We have recently..." and I don't know about you, but when I see an exclamation point after a Hello, I assume good news is to follow. Way to not set a somber tone!

All and all, though, I kind of felt like Will Ferrell in Anchorman when he says, "What? You pooped in the refrigerator? And you ate the whole... wheel of cheese? How'd you do that? Heck, I'm not even mad; that's amazing!" 'Cause whatever else they may be, these are some amazing rejections.

Ha, did this happen to be Washington University in St. Louis? Because my rejection letter had the wrong year on the letter, which they proceeded to just cross out and write the correct one above it. I mean, really?

And I totally feel you on your frustrations. This is my second round of applications, and though I got more interviews than the first time, I don't have a whole lot of hope. And the process is just such a circus, and pretty dehumanizing.

Yeah...at first I was very impressed by how environmentally friendly they are!
And when the upset feelings came along with the rejection letter with seemingly same format as past years...I was like...that $5 is not the best $5 they should have saved!

Has anyone heard from University of South Carolina's school psych program? The interview was at the end of January and they said we'd hear a decision in a week or two, but I have not received anything yet.

Anyone else heard from them? Do all schools wait forever to send acceptances? Or does this long wait indicate that I'm rejected?

I'm sad about UNC Greensboro. The professor I wanted to work with spoke with me on the phone twice (both times at his suggestion, not mine), once for 45 minutes, told me I had a great CV, great experiences, thought I asked great questions over the phone...and since then, nothing. And they sent out their invites quite a while ago. Sigh.

Anyone heard from University of Texas (Austin) or University of Houston? (Clinical Ph.D.)

Sorry to be a broken record.. still holding out hope..

Hi everyone! I know I've asked this a couple of times, but did anyone here apply to St. Louis University's clinical PhD program? They had a later deadline and I'm anxiously waiting to hear about possible interviews? I'm forcing myself to not contact the program just yet...they sent out interview invites around this time last year....

Thanks a bunch!

I have heard nothing as well.

I just realized that statement is just like if a tree falls in a forest...

Probably should have said, I have received no information from Saint Louis.

I go to SLU as an undergrad and I just asked for you. They just finished picking interviewees yesterday and will likely finish sending out invites by the end of next week. Good luck! It's a great program.

Awesome. Thanks for checking on this!

I go to SLU as an undergrad and I just asked for you. They just finished picking interviewees yesterday and will likely finish sending out invites by the end of next week. Good luck! It's a great program.

Awesome. Thanks for checking on this!

No problem at all. Just paying it forward...this message board kept me sane (or relatively sane, at least) while I was waiting to hear back from clinical programs.

Hi SLU Psych- I believe SLU is my last hope. I feel somewhat confident about an interview. It really looks like a great program!! Do you know how many applicants they may have recieved this year. I think their average is around 100 per year...

Thanks again!

No problem at all. Just paying it forward...this message board kept me sane (or relatively sane, at least) while I was waiting to hear back from clinical programs.

so after bugging the cwpost screen name online they FINALLY told me what the interview dates are

2/25
3/1
3/6

when I called on Tuesday they said invites would go out in the next two weeks, not very helpful but for those of you still holding out hope and trying to make travel plans for other schools(i sure am) thought this might help

Hi SLU Psych- I believe SLU is my last hope. I feel somewhat confident about an interview. It really looks like a great program!! Do you know how many applicants they may have recieved this year. I think their average is around 100 per year...

Thanks again!

I don't know exactly how many applicants there are but I haven't heard any murmur of this being an exceptional year for more applicants or less applicants, so I imagine they're right around their norm. I have my fingers crossed for your interview! If you have any other questions, you can send me a message.

Has anyone heard from University of South Carolina's school psych program? The interview was at the end of January and they said we'd hear a decision in a week or two, but I have not received anything yet.

Anyone else heard from them? Do all schools wait forever to send acceptances? Or does this long wait indicate that I'm rejected?

Have you attempted contacting the school? It's possible that you've been waitlisted, as those individuals don't always hear back immediately.

I'd say it'd be quite acceptable for you to give them a call on Monday if you don't hear anything today or tomorrow.

I don't know exactly how many applicants there are but I haven't heard any murmur of this being an exceptional year for more applicants or less applicants, so I imagine they're right around their norm. I have my fingers crossed for your interview! If you have any other questions, you can send me a message.

Thanks for checking and letting us know. Any idea if they call, email or send letters to invitees?

Have you attempted contacting the school? It's possible that you've been waitlisted, as those individuals don't always hear back immediately.

I'd say it'd be quite acceptable for you to give them a call on Monday if you don't hear anything today or tomorrow.

Nah, I haven't contacted them yet just because I didn't want to be annoying. But I do think I will call on Monday. Who do you call? Your POI? The grad admissions office? Or is email better?

:D that would be this very week. And today is Tuesday...wow - good luck to you too and thanks for responding :luck:

:thumbdown:

Have you heard from Gallaudet yet? I was told that they'd start notifying in mid-Feb, hence I've been anxiously waiting since.

I'm thinking of contacting them again, but I think it's too soon after mid-Feb to be bugging.. when was the last time anyone contacted Gallaudet?

Have you heard from Gallaudet yet? I was told that they'd start notifying in mid-Feb, hence I've been anxiously waiting since.

I'm thinking of contacting them again, but I think it's too soon after mid-Feb to be bugging.. when was the last time anyone contacted Gallaudet?

Hi,

I heard by the end of this week. Last year, they sent out invites on 02/16...
...so, be patient. I do the same. Have an interview tomorrow and I am super nervous and stressed and feel not well prepared. Good luck to us.

Cheers,

Phipps

Hi,

I heard by the end of this week. Last year, they sent out invites on 02/16...
...so, be patient. I do the same. Have an interview tomorrow and I am super nervous and stressed and feel not well prepared. Good luck to us.

Cheers,

Phipps

Thanks. That's a good idea. Deep breathing, I shall wait. Have a good rest and all the best to you :)

Does anyone else feel like tomorrow (Friday) is about it for interview invites? Three weeks into Feb, I can't imagine any more going out. I heard from one and only one school last Friday, but I'm thinking if I don't hear anything else tomorrow, my chances are pretty much done.

Anyone else feel like tomorrow is the last hurrah for interview invites?

[PS, I'm going to need some serious therapy after this farce.]

Does anyone else feel like tomorrow (Friday) is about it for interview invites? Three weeks into Feb, I can't imagine any more going out. I heard from one and only one school last Friday, but I'm thinking if I don't hear anything else tomorrow, my chances are pretty much done.

Anyone else feel like tomorrow is the last hurrah for interview invites?

[PS, I'm going to need some serious therapy after this farce.]

I don't know...but I hope not...

Someone on gradcafe reported being invited to interview for SLU Ph.D. via e-mail. Does anyone know if this was a mass e-mail (i.e. everyone has been invited) or if people are being notified individually? Does each professor have a group he/she notifies?

Good luck to everyone interviewing at Johns Hopkins this weekend!

I was recently invited to a TC interview and St John's interview for School Psych on the same day. I had already asked St John's to accomodate me in a conflict earlier, and this was the date they changed it to. Now my only bet is to ask TC to change the date of my interview with them.

If it comes down to choosing one or the other, does anyone have suggestions? TC historically has little to no funding, and St John's has some funding. It is also Ph.D vs. Psy.D. I think a major part of my indecision surrounds turning down an opportunity at a "Columbia-affiliated" program.

Any thoughts?
:confused:

Hi,

I am glad someone posted this. I completed a masters program at TC in Psychology and was both taught and had classes with doctorate students. TC has little to no funding and it is not the same thing as Columbia. The actual Columbia is down the street and is very impressive to see and an incredible place to take classes. TC is not like that at all. I appreciated my time at TC and there are great teachers. If you are trying to study under Dr. Bonanno at TC, then you should go becuase there is not a more well known trauma researcher. If not then dont bother with TC. I did not talk to one PhD student who was happy with their choice(with the exception of Bonannos students). Like the other post said the random person on the street will be impressed by the Columbia affiliation, but I can say from personal experience it is kind of a joke when you get to working outside of the school.

I second this...

Hi,

I am glad someone posted this. I completed a masters program at TC in Psychology and was both taught and had classes with doctorate students. TC has little to no funding and it is not the same thing as Columbia. The actual Columbia is down the street and is very impressive to see and an incredible place to take classes. TC is not like that at all. I appreciated my time at TC and there are great teachers. If you are trying to study under Dr. Bonanno at TC, then you should go becuase there is not a more well known trauma researcher. If not then dont bother with TC. I did not talk to one PhD student who was happy with their choice(with the exception of Bonannos students). Like the other post said the random person on the street will be impressed by the Columbia affiliation, but I can say from personal experience it is kind of a joke when you get to working outside of the school.

Thirded.

Though, I did find most of the profs quite helpful when I reached out to them for advice once I graduated. That being said, the program is limited in more ways than one.

THAT being said, having it on my CV has proven quite worthy.

Hi,

I am waiting on seton hall too. I got the information that invites/rejections will come through the mail. Anyone heard anything yet?

I know this isn't really the place for it, but I just have to say that I am going CRAZY waiting to hear back from schools after interviews. This is even worse than waiting to hear about interviews in the first place! UGHHHHHH. :eek: