2010-2011 Internship Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The APA-accredited internship program where I am on faculty met last week to compile and finalize our rank list. I want to convey to all of you applying that we had a record number of applications and conducted a record number of interviews this year. Indeed, this year we interviewed as many people as the number of total applications we have typically received in past years. The vast majority of the interviewees were stellar and would easily have been a good match for our site. Deciding upon the final rank list was painful (to put it bluntly) and our #25 choice could have just as easily been our #1 choice - it largely came down to the perceived goodness of fit. Please keep in mind that this is a difficult decision for all involved in the process - both applicants and sites.

Thank you for the update medium rare. I really appreciate your candor- especially the last part. It must be extremely difficult to keep track of the pros and cons of all those candidates. On the interview trail I saw quite a few candidates who weren't too different from myself. This process can be so precarious at times.

Members don't see this ad.

Hope everyone is doing well and ranking all their sites without too much trouble. I received 2 emails from sites where I interviewed letting me know that I was included in their final ranking list. (that was validating!) Anyone else have similar emails?
I also received some emails from DCT's asking me for my Match #. I thought that they would have an easy way of looking it up (as Docma suggested), yet I am now concerned that some sites may not bother asking for it and not rank me since I signed up for the match AFTER I submitted my appi. I'm just a little more anxious than usual due to the match........ I am hoping the best to all those reading this and I hope we can all celebrate on Feb. 19th..... Best of luck!!!! :xf:

Hi all! I fell off the forum wagon for a bit there. I hope those who also have gone MIA had good interviews! This may no longer be useful, but for those who did not register for Match until after submitting their apps, you can still add it to your AAPI online, and it will update in the system. There is very little you can edit after submission, but Match # is still editable. This has also been mentioned in the Match listserv.

Only 10 days 'till notification! Fingers crossed! :xf::xf::xf::xf::xf::xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
How's everyone doing? Three days....:scared:

Yeah, trying not to think about it. I know if I allow my mind to wander it will start second-guessing again my rank list (I had to make some tough geography/personal life vs. professional training calls in terms of rankings), so I've been trying to focus on my dissertation instead. :p

Yeah, trying not to think about it. I know if I allow my mind to wander it will start second-guessing again my rank list (I had to make some tough geography/personal life vs. professional training calls in terms of rankings), so I've been trying to focus on my dissertation instead. :p

Oh my gosh, me too - it was all weighing the geographic location vs. the professional training, and the geographic location was complicated with all the members of my family in various places....oof. I've been focusing on my dissertation, or attempting too, also...

good luck! This is SO hard. I heard most people found out around 8-9 AM EST last year.

How is everyone else doing as we get closer to match day? I am glad to have my job to focus on! I am completing all my notes and treatment plans in order to deal with the anxiety of waiting for the next three days!:confused: I really hope that we hear before 9 am on Friday so I don't have to go into work with obsessive thoughts about checking my email, lol :oops:. Good luck everyone, either way we get to focus on the next part of this and the waiting part will be over!

For those of you that have been through this before, do you have any advice about the Clearing House? Specifically, if you did not get called for interviews what are the chances that you will be an attractive candidate for those sites that are using the Clearing House? What are they looking for? How do you narrow done your sites once the openings are released on Monday. Should you go to your DCT? :scared:

For those of you that have been through this before, do you have any advice about the Clearing House? Specifically, if you did not get called for interviews what are the chances that you will be an attractive candidate for those sites that are using the Clearing House? What are they looking for? How do you narrow done your sites once the openings are released on Monday. Should you go to your DCT? :scared:

I went through the Clearing House in 2006, and I can share my experience: It is possible to come out of the Clearing House with an APA-accredited internship. I was one of the lucky ones, and did. That said, I was less lucky in the interview process: I got 2 interviews from 11 applications. In today's climate it is extremely difficult to classify most people as an "unattractive" or "attractive" candidate, period, because the system is so glutted.

I applied for every single APA-accredited internship listed in the Clearing House, which meant over 30 applications in one day. Having a form letter you can modify quickly is of the essence, as well as having your other Clearing House recommended application materials ready. My classmates divided up the Clearing House listings with me and helped me identify sites for several hours. If you can enlist a couple of people to help, I highly recommend it.

Out of 30-something applications, I got one phone interview, and one email exchange from sites. The site I eventually went to told me they received over 200 applications on Clearing House day, which they have only a few hours to review. With over 700 people not matching, and maybe 50 positions (some sites have more than one) in the Clearing House, the competition for these slots is fierce and involves a large dose of luck, because there are many good applicants in the Clearing House these days.

There are more postings if you can take a non APA-accredited internship. Some grad programs will let you do this, some won't.

Best of luck in this process to all applying this cycle!

I'm so nervous counting down the days. I wish I had found you guys back in December. I just want to say good luck and hopefully we will hear something early on Friday.

stampy (and others who went through the clearinghouse)...

did you ultimately get a clearinghouse position just from the phone interview? if so, did that call happen on monday or shortly thereafter? (why the mad rush to fill the positions anyway? why don't the sites take their time?)

i have been told that the only clearinghouse sites that will consider you are those in the geographic area in which you live - is that in line with your experience (if you applied to 30 apa sites, i am going to assume that you applied all over the country) - were the sites that expressed interest in you in your geographic area?

thanks

Good luck to everyone! We're down to the last 24 hours of waiting. Hope everyone is doing well!!!!:scared:

Just saying hi and that I am freaking out about tomorrow. Working on anxiety management so I can actually be present at work....it's not going so well.

Good luck to all going through the process. What time are people getting up tomorrow? I'm worried I will be too nervous to sleep...

did you ultimately get a clearinghouse position just from the phone interview? if so, did that call happen on monday or shortly thereafter? (why the mad rush to fill the positions anyway? why don't the sites take their time?)

While I hope all of the SDN members match, some very qualified candidates get squeezed every year. I had a bunch of interviews at top places....and didn't match back in 2008. So I had to tackle CH...

CH can be hectic, as sites rush to pick off the best candidates. I had 5-6 phone interviews in the first 4 or so hours. Offers came quickly, and they generally wanted a commitment within the hour. It can be stressful, so you need to be prepared.

Here are some suggestions I've given in the past:

1. Relax. Plenty of people get quality sites through CH. You can be one of them.

2. Recruit 1-2 people to help you. It really helps to have someone there to help sort through sites, prepare letters, watch the details, etc.

3. Write your letters ahead of time. While you do not know exactly what sites are available, pre-draft a few form letters where you can fill in the information quickly (community mental health centers, hospital, student counseling, etc).

4. Make sure to have at least 2 computers. You can be drafting a letter on one, while a friend looks through sites on another. If you have a third person they can use printed out info to help you (review the rotations at a site, etc).

5. The best sites are usually gone within the first day, and many times within the first few hours. Many sites will close out accepting apps rather quickly, which is why you need help. Sites can trickle through after that, but the biggest collection of APA-acred sites match go in the first day.

Adding for 2010:

6. Between Friday and Sunday, decide what your requirements are of a site. APA only? Any setting? Any dealbreakers? In the heat of the moment you will feel a lot of pressure to get something, and you want to make sure you find at least a decent fit.

One of the hardest things about CH is the pace. Friends are invaluable, and the support of your DCT really helps. Most of the time stuff works out in the end. I ended up declining my offers and taking the year to work on my app and get feedback to fill any gaps. The next year I got a ton of great interviews, matched to an awesome site, and now I'm interviewing at some of the top fellowships in the country. While it was really hard to have to go through again, ultimately it worked out better than I could have hoped. I can't stress enough to keep things in perspective. In the moment it can really feel bad, but most people find a way to make it work out in the end.

Everyone hang in there, and best of luck with tomorrow. I'll be at a training all day, but I'll check in after the dust has settled.

Members don't see this ad :)
T4C has some great advice. To that I would add that you do not have to fling yourself into the Clearinghouse. If your dissertation is far from done it could be a much wiser choice to wait, focus on getting it finished, and then dive in next year with the knowledge you've gained this year plus the thesis complete. As a TD, I believe way too many people go into internship search (or their internship) prematurely relative to completing their research. As a result they are either less competitive in the Match or may Match but then are too stressed during internship by trying to finalize the dissertation as well. This is something to talk about with your ATD if you are not lucky tomorrow. Also: every year there are some great internships, including APA sites, that do show up later in the Clearinghouse year--often because new funding comes through and sites are able to add positions. It is not a large number of spots, but there are always some and you only need one. Especially if you have the freedom to relocate, you could get your thesis done and find your Match later but still graduate with your currrent cohort. Good luck to all.

Hi everyone! I haven't been on this forum this the interviewing period and just wanted to drop by and wish everyone the best during this very stressful time. Its important to remember that we will end up where ever we are meant to be (if you want to beleive that). We've all worked very hard to get to where we are and no one can take that away from us. Best of luck tomorrow! Hope you all sleep well (including me) :)

:xf::xf::xf:

I've nothing new to add to the words of wisdom. I just wish everyone the best in the match!:luck:

T4C has some great advice. To that I would add that you do not have to fling yourself into the Clearinghouse. If your dissertation is far from done it could be a much wiser choice to wait, focus on getting it finished, and then dive in next year with the knowledge you've gained this year plus the thesis complete. As a TD, I believe way too many people go into internship search (or their internship) prematurely relative to completing their research. As a result they are either less competitive in the Match or may Match but then are too stressed during internship by trying to finalize the dissertation as well.

This is an excellent point. Many sites will consider applicants who aren't not far along in their dissertation as a liability, as they do not want to have their people "stuck" after internship. Many sites ask about your progress, and it can definitely effect if/how they rank you.

Best of luck to everyone!!

Hi all. I just wanted to log on and wish everyone great luck tomorrow and send good vibes. :love: get some sleep :sleep: !!!! And report back tomorrow!!

i have been told that the only clearinghouse sites that will consider you are those in the geographic area in which you live - is that in line with your experience (if you applied to 30 apa sites, i am going to assume that you applied all over the country) - were the sites that expressed interest in you in your geographic area?

thanks

I've never been through clearinghouse (and hopefully never will be!) but of the students in my program who have, geographic location has never been a concern...typically people who get clearinghouse spots from my program (clinical psych) end up moving anywhere around the country for their internship.

i was really hoping to hear by now! has anyone gotten anything?

didnt APA take a stand against torture? does that not include graduate students?

I know. I've been waiting for about an hour and I am really hope they send them soon.

Good luck!

Just got an email that I did not match...:(

Clearing House here I come!

I'm sorry... I do hope you find a good position via CH! It's great that we have the advice of SDN members here who have gone through this process.

I just got my email 2 minutes ago... I matched! Hmm, too bad it's still too early to drink...

Just got an email that I did not match...:(

Clearing House here I come!

HVD2011....I'm sorry to hear that and wish you major luck in the CH.

I matched!!!:D I can hardly believe it. I wish I could go back to sleep, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Just matched. I'm hoping that everyone doing the clearing house gets a great site!:xf:

Matched. Wow...I'm so relieved.

Best wishes to everyone in the clearinghouse. Several people from my program a few years back found placements there. :luck:

This morning I read: Congratulations! You have been matched to an internship position.

Thank you Jesus!!!

I matched! This was the second time for me, so for those of you heading for CH or waiting until next year, I can truly empathize.

I've only seen one person who posted today (so far) who didn't match and am feeling like I need to say that I didn't match this time around either. This is my second time around with the Match process too, so I'm pretty much completely at a loss about what my "Plan B" will be (other than, obviously, CH on Monday).

Just wanted to let others who didn't match know that they aren't alone...

:(

No luck here either. I must say I'm suprised. I will be going through the clearinghouse but at the same time I've accepted that I may have to wait another year.

Good Luck to all.

Congrats Cmhooligan!! Glad to see you matched!
Matched as well!
Good luck in the CH! I can truly empathize

Congrats Cmhooligan!! Glad to see you matched!
Matched as well!
Good luck in the CH! I can truly empathize

Thanks Sunstroke, kudos to you too! :)

Sorry to hear about those who didn't match. I know all too well what that feels like. Wishing you all the best over the next few days!

I'm sorry... I do hope you find a good position via CH! It's great that we have the advice of SDN members here who have gone through this process.

I just got my email 2 minutes ago... I matched! Hmm, too bad it's still too early to drink...

It's not too early to drink!!! This day is a an exception whether you heard good or bad news.

MATCHED!!!!!

And with only one potential match, so keep faith everyone - you never know what can happen :)

And last year, while I didn't go up for internship, a peer of mine did and did CH and she said there were some AMAZING placing that had spots - like Yale.

MATCHED!!!!!

And with only one potential match, so keep faith everyone - you never know what can happen :)

And last year, while I didn't go up for internship, a peer of mine did and did CH and she said there were some AMAZING placing that had spots - like Yale.

...at least you know where you're going...lol.

To all those who didn't match, keep your heads up. I know how much it hurts. I didn't match my first round either. However, let me encourage you by emphasizing that there can be a rainbow and sunshine after the rain...I wish you all the best in CH.

I matched!!! I am so happy.

Good luck to all those who are thinking about doing the clearinghouse. I am really rooting for you all to find a good placement.

It's not too early to drink!!! This day is a an exception whether you heard good or bad news.

I would like to echo this sentiment. I and three of my fellow match-ers just got back from brunch with mimosas. Will be popping some bubbly on Monday morning as well. But, sorry to everyone in the clearinghouse; three people from my program didn't match last year and all matched this year. I have faith it will work out in the end....

I matched as well! Congrats to those who matched!

For those that didn't, just know that 3 people who didn't match in our program last year all matched this year, and most of them will end up going to a place they didn't even interview at last year, so keep the faith! Things will work out!

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm not taking the lack of a match that seriously. The system is flawed in many ways. I have 15 years in direct clinical psych experience with everything from forensics to geriatrics. My direct face to face hours was not what it should have been as I work full time, but I knew that and applied anyway. You win some, you lose some.

I'm not really motivated to go through the Clearing House, can't even muster up the "form letters" for Monday's mad dash. But I expect by the end of this weekend I will pull it together.

I am very happy for those of you that got in. It truely is an exciting time for all of you. :laugh:

Matched! I'm happy, but also thinking of everyone who didn't get good news this morning. Don't take it personally because it could have happened to any of us. There is a systematic problem in psychology training right now, and I'm sorry to anyone that got caught up in it. Best of luck in the CH

I re-applied this year and finally matched. Congrats to all who matched and to those who didn't, be persistent! Good things will come! Now the stress of waiting...

Yes, I agree with Intern2Be. While I am delighted with my result, it is tempered with the frustration I feel at the fact that several of my colleagues didn't match, and that there is a systemic flaw in psychology training process that is hurting people. I am celebrating, but it is a tempered celebration. I hope that this is addressed and changed in the coming years.

For those keeping track, I also did not match. I was kind of prepared, but still didn't expect it (I was about 70% sure I would match - good odds if you're a betting man/woman). Now I am just tired (it came at 5:30am on the West Coast) and disappointed. Still, holding out hope that I can match in CH (even though last year there were very few APA spots, relatively speaking).

I think I can. I think I can. I think I can...

Congrats to those of you who awoke to good news! You have every reason and right to be celebrating :)

Hello everyone,

Full disclosure: I matched.

For those who did not match I offer my sincerest sympathy. I can imagine the pain you will go through over the next few months because I did not match last year. For those who did match, I exhort you to please, please, please be considerate of those who did not.

Some advice for those who did not match from someone who has stood where you are now:
For those who did not match definitely do what is necessary to numb the shock tonight. Go to a movie, get dinner, do miniature golf, play videogames, etc. If you want to go out with your friends, that’s fine. If you do not, that is fine as well. Don’t feel obligated to offer an explanation to ANYONE. It’s none of their business and now is not the time for them to ask anyway.

In the next few days you’ll probably be very angry with this whole system. Here’s the thing: You should be furious. You have essentially just been denied your degree from a bunch of strangers you met for about an hour or so (perhaps less) and for many, you will never be given a reason. As a student you have a right to feel wronged because the system lacks a mechanism for accountability. Those who do not match should be given feedback on why they did not match so that they may work on perceived shortcomings for the coming year. I hope you don’t forget this moment when you eventually do match, otherwise the system will remain complacent and others will experience what you are experiencing now.

To end on a positive note for those who did not match, consider that the clearinghouse is still an option. After this weekend, pick yourself up and get back in that saddle on Monday. Call in favors from other grad students to assist you in this endeavor. If the Clearinghouse does not work out (and for most, it will not) take this next year to improve your stats. Finishing the dissertation, diversifying your therapy experience, and working on external funding are all worthy goals. Next year, when you match (think positive!!), remember how precarious this whole process is, and remember to avoid being smug.

Again, to those who matched I congratulate you. You are the recipient of good news because of hard work, but also in part due to no shortage of incredibly good fortune. Have fun tonight. As for myself I plan on taking this good news in stride and will probably see a film.

Hello everyone,

Full disclosure: I matched.

You should be furious. You have essentially just been denied your degree from a bunch of strangers you met for about an hour or so (perhaps less) and for many, you will never be given a reason.

As for myself I plan on taking this good news in stride and will probably see a film.

First: Congrats!
Second: Thank you for validating those feelings.
Third: I LOVE that you said "a film!" :) hehe

kitbit, ClinicalTrainee, you'll be happy to know that I stopped by a local discount liquor store today and picked up some nice port. I'll be sure to raise a glass in your honor :laugh:

I think someone else mentioned this before, but the celebration is tempered for me as well. Everyone in my program matched, but I have acquaintances in other programs that did not match, people who I think are qualified individuals. I am really hoping that everyone who didn't will somehow find the peace of mind they need to consider thoughtfully their options for the coming year. Fingers crossed for everyone who decides to go through the CH!

I would like to echo this sentiment. I and three of my fellow match-ers just got back from brunch with mimosas. Will be popping some bubbly on Monday morning as well. But, sorry to everyone in the clearinghouse; three people from my program didn't match last year and all matched this year. I have faith it will work out in the end....