2010-2011 Internship Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Let me add that my doctoral program has a 7 year max and I need to graduate next year so I can't reapply for the Match next year. Now I need to accept (if I can get one that is!) a non-APA internship. I'm so angry and disappointed. It totally sucks. My career goal was to work in a VA and now that's shot. It's unlikely that I will get a half decent post-doc now too. Is anyone else in the same boat maybe? Do any of you guys have any advice or suggestions for me? Anything anyone might be able to offer would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance...

Hi PsyDGal,

Let me first say how sorry I am about your experience. To not match one time is a tragedy, to not match twice is an unbearable tragedy. People may disagree with my suggestion but it worked for me. My program too has a 7-year limit, which includes the internship year. I was in my 6th year and quickly rebounded from not matching by writing a grant. The grant came through and I was able to fund myself during the year. By flashing a little cash my program could not resist. I was allowed to circumvent the "7-year rule" and remain another year. I finally matched this year.

Money changes everything.:D

I encourage you to try it and be your own advocate. I hope you have good luck this year. Many of the people who match honestly believe that luck is a minor variable in this process. After talking with many training directors at conferences this year I have come to the conclusion that luck is at least 50% of the equation.

Members don't see this ad.

So here's the thing... I went through the match process a second time this year and did not match. Had 7 interviews, all APA-accredited, 5 at VA sites and one at another prestigious hospital in NYC this time. Last year I had a total of 8 interviews, 6 at APA-sites. In the year in-between I all but finished my dissertation and gained more neuro experience (what I defnitely want to be doing). I am so taking the process personally, not so much the first time around, but this time I'm finding it almost impossible not to do so.

Let me add that my doctoral program has a 7 year max and I need to graduate next year so I can't reapply for the Match next year. Now I need to accept (if I can get one that is!) a non-APA internship. I'm so angry and disappointed. It totally sucks. My career goal was to work in a VA and now that's shot. It's unlikely that I will get a half decent post-doc now too. Is anyone else in the same boat maybe? Do any of you guys have any advice or suggestions for me? Anything anyone might be able to offer would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance...

That Sucks! Have you contacted any of the sties to get feedback about your interviews? Also, I thought the VA was only really a stickler on the doctoral program, but they require APA accredited internships too?

Again, that is rough and I am sorry.

I've been a lurker on these boards for awhile now, but after seeing some of the recent posts, I feel the need to post myself. Let me start by saying that the following is just my opinion, so feel free to agree or disagree.

I'll admit right off the bat that I matched this year (my first time applying, and to my first-ranked program), so I feel very fortunate and may be biased in my views because I didn't have to go through the frustrating Clearinghouse process. However, I did help a friend with CH, and I was really thankful that my future wasn't in the hands of that awful process. It was a rollercoaster of ups and downs, excitement about finding a good program and then disappointment for her when the positions would get filled, with no responses from the programs themselves. Again, I feel very fortunate that it wasn't me. I recognize how difficult of a process this has been for everyone but that when we get a happy ending on Match Day, we get to forget about the process and be glad it's over. I can't imagine facing the possibility of having to do this again several months from now and being even more unsure of the outcome the second time around because of already having gone through rejection once.

I do feel that it is unfair to chalk up 50% of the outcome to luck. I think that takes away from the qualifications and hard work of those applicants that matched. I applied to 13 places, interviewed at 7, and got my top ranked choice. I feel like a little bit of credit is being taken away from my hard work throughout grad school and the application process, as well as my accomplishments that got me where I am when people are crediting luck as at least 1/2 responsible for my outcome. Is there a little bit of luck? Probably, but I think it's unfair to say that 50% of it is, and I think that takes responsibility and accountability away from everyone, those who matched and those who didn't.

For those who didn't match, there are definitely two separate issues. One is getting the interviews in the first place. Those who didn't match but didn't get many interviews obviously need to strengthen their application as a whole to secure more interviews. Hopefully they have supportive people around them to help them with this. I asked students from our program who had recently gone through the application process successfully to look at my essays, cover letters, etc. I also asked faculty members to look over my materials. Additionally, my peers and I exchanged essays. I feel that I took the initiative to have as many eyes look at my materials as I felt comfortable, and I took feedback and applied it as I saw fit. I went over my finalized materials at least 15-20 times before submitting and didn't cut any corners anywhere. I stressed how programs' goals for interns and my goals for internship were an excellent fit. I followed advice I heard from TD's and solicited advice from those who had recently gone through the process. And I'm not someone who has a solid research background at all- I have no publications, no chapters, and 2 presentations- not impressive. But I still got a >50% interview rate. I don't think it was solely my qualifications that got me interviews; rather, I think I understood how to get myself across in a confident but not overly-confident way and how to "sell" myself in a way that showed how I was a good fit for the programs. I guess what I'm trying to say is that, rather than luck being the factor, there's a factor at play that IS under the control of applicants. It's selling yourself the right way, it's expressing a goodness of fit, and it's making the programs understand why you would work well there (and not just that you need a spot somewhere). Those who limited themselves geographically or those who applied to programs in which they had little to no experience or maybe even interest need to reconsider their decisions. I know people who didn't have much interest in college counseling centers, but they applied to such programs because of their location. TD's are too smart to not notice that there isn't a true interest there. So there's a lot that goes into it, but securing the interviews is the first issue.

The second issue is how interviews that you do get are conducted. For some people who have posted, they are angry because they got several interviews but didn't match. To me, that suggests that there's an issue with the interpersonal style that's coming across to interviewers or how an individual is conducting him-/herself. We have a person in the program that hasn't matched for a few years in a row, and yet every year he gets several interviews. But to be honest, he turns people off face-to-face, and I can definitely understand why TD's don't rank him. I'm not saying that's necessarily the case among people who are reading this, but if you're getting several interviews and then not matching, it's important to assess how you're coming across to TD's- not confident? Overly confident? Weird/inappropriate comments? Not put-together? Too nervous? Not clearly interested? I was asked multiple questions at interviews about why I was interested in the programs, and I was able to clearly articulate why each site distinguished itself and was attractive to me. I had questions prepared to show that I had explored what the programs offered and was clearly interested. If you got several interviews and then didn't match (which, the likelihood is statistically pretty small), it's worth asking others for honest feedback about your interpersonal style. It's worth emailing people you interviewed with and asking for feedback- what's the worst that can happen? It might be worth asking others (peers, faculty you trust) to mock interview you and ask them for feedback. Clearly securing the interviews isn't the issue here because people are getting several. In this case, there's clearly something going on at the interview that is either not impressing people or possibly turning them off. Chalking it up to luck just doesn't seem accurate or fair. People who get several interviews have a high probability of matching. If you're someone who didn't despite having several interviews, there must be a reason (more than just luck).

I hope, despite possibly stinging, that this is helpful for people. When I started preparing for the application process, I thought matching would be a longshot because I didn't see how I would at all be distinguishable from other applicants. Again, I have a weak research background and no real "wow" practicum experience. I have very typical practicum experience with an average number of hours. But I improved and improved and improved my materials and got feedback about my interview style. I'm not saying that others didn't do this if they didn't match, but it certainly increases the likelihood of matching. And don't believe that it's 50% luck. You have more control over the process than that. There is some good fortune, but some believe that you make your own luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
PsyDGal: Also keep in mind that it does happen that VA positions come into the Clearinghouse process, often in summer or fall, because new funding breaks loose or an accepted intern has to drop out for some reason. Since you met the interview threshold they see you as a viable candidate and I would brainstorm with your DCT about how to stay linked into a network where you might learn about openings asap and be ready to present yourself.

You might also ask (after the Match frenzy has passed some) the DCT at some of your ideal sites for feedback on why you did not rank well enough. Sometimes you can get this and sometimes you will get invaluable feedback about something no one else has been able/willing to tell you. (eg you were 3rd at 5 sites where the top 2 people said yes; or your tendency to giggle in interviews makes people cranky or the testing reports you submitted had a strong theoretical "bias" of some kind that the VA hates.) Some of the feedback might feel great and some not so, but it would all be invaluable going ahead. AND you might even find one of those folks will have an opening later and remember you...It happens

HeWhoForgets, I couldn't agree more. I did everything you did and and a few more things, like read/review what publications the people at the sites were going to be interviewing me. When I was sitting in an interview room with 4 other applicants and I started asking if they had read X article by Y person who would be interviewing us shortly and they all looked at me like "What?!?! We were supposed to read something?!?!?" I'm not saying you regurgitate their literature back at them - Don't do that - but being aware of the work that the people interviewing you have done only shows interest and a better level of preparation.

And I just have to add one more thing, which some folks may not want to hear - but it also depends on what type of program you come from (e.g., a professional school). We have discussed that already.

And I just have to add one more thing, which some folks may not want to hear - but it also depends on what type of program you come from (e.g., a professional school). We have discussed that already.[/QUOTE]

Yes, although there are good students at both university and professional programs, you are at a definite disadvantage when you attend a for-profit school. Although I really feel for students who did not match, this can also serve as a teachable moment for others: Look at a prospecitve program's match rate before you accept an offer.

Also, if your program's promises sound too good to be true (e.g., one person posted that their program advertised a doctorate (psy.d.) in 3 years), then run! TIn order to optimize the chance of matching into a good internship, you must work as hard, if not harder, than other people competing with you and the promise of a 3-year degree sounds like a severe case of cutting corners .

I agree with many of the comments people have made about reasons why someone might not match. I have to tell you, though, that I've seen some people from some terrific programs, great credentials, and no glaring interpersonal issues, who still didn't match. There may have been a reason --- heck, there's always a reason... but when a full 25% of the applicant pool fails to match (due to the imbalance) I've got to believe some people just lose out for no good reason. Maybe if we could get the match rate up to 90% I could feel more comfortable that the process was just weeding out the less qualified? Until then, I'm skeptical.

PS: I matched the first time out, so I have no personal axe to grind here. I just think things need to change or the system loses credibility and students lose faith that their pre-internship efforts matter.:confused:

I've been a lurker on these boards for awhile now, but after seeing some of the recent posts, I feel the need to post myself. Let me start by saying that the following is just my opinion, so feel free to agree or disagree.

I do feel that it is unfair to chalk up 50% of the outcome to luck. I think that takes away from the qualifications and hard work of those applicants that matched. I applied to 13 places, interviewed at 7, and got my top ranked choice. I feel like a little bit of credit is being taken away from my hard work throughout grad school and the application process, as well as my accomplishments that got me where I am when people are crediting luck as at least 1/2 responsible for my outcome.

Congratulations HeWhoForgets on matching. There is an important point to note however. When you speak of credit, I am unfamiliar with the credit to which you are referring. I see no credit, because one has no idea whether the hard work to which you believe garnered you the your match was actually the defining criterion which set you apart from others. The fact remains that you have no idea, and neither does anyone else. Certainly hard work is associated, but let's be frank about this process, with a near 25% non-match rate, it's entirely plausible that people who worked harder than you and possibly have better credentials did not match.

I too want to believe that this process is fair and that I was selected on merit alone. But there are many other possibilities involved, especially given the number of applicants. It is simply inconceivable that a program can adequately distinguish fairly among 50 people whom were met face-to-face for about an hour or so. Of course it is a truism that most people will match anyway. But without any feedback there is no accountability in the system. So while one can only speculate why one did not match, the same also goes for those who do.

Regarding the interpersonal issue and interviews- I've said it before, that's just an unacceptable way to confer a doctorate. It illustrates yet another major shortcoming in this field. But moreover, the assumption that one did not match because of interpersonal weaknesses is another bold assumption that is based on speculation. Without any feedback in this process, this is a damaging and judgmental pathway to take. Afterall, if the applicant's interpersonal style was maladaptive could they really have made it this far? If if they were "unlikeable" (whatever that means) and competently made it this far, does a personally subjective dimension such as this really warrant the denial of the doctorate? I certainly hope not.

I agree with many of the comments people have made about reasons why someone might not match. I have to tell you, though, that I've seen some people from some terrific programs, great credentials, and no glaring interpersonal issues, who still didn't match. There may have been a reason --- heck, there's always a reason... but when a full 25% of the applicant pool fails to match (due to the imbalance) I've got to believe some people just lose out for no good reason. Maybe if we could get the match rate up to 90% I could feel more comfortable that the process was just weeding out the less qualified? Until then, I'm skeptical.

PS: I matched the first time out, so I have no personal axe to grind here. I just think things need to change or the system loses credibility and students lose faith that their pre-internship efforts matter.:confused:

No doubt. Weeding out by a test or dissertation defense is acceptable. But this internship match stuff? This is not a fair evaluation.

HeWhoForgets, I couldn't agree more. I did everything you did and and a few more things, like read/review what publications the people at the sites were going to be interviewing me. When I was sitting in an interview room with 4 other applicants and I started asking if they had read X article by Y person who would be interviewing us shortly and they all looked at me like "What?!?! We were supposed to read something?!?!?" I'm not saying you regurgitate their literature back at them - Don't do that - but being aware of the work that the people interviewing you have done only shows interest and a better level of preparation.

And I just have to add one more thing, which some folks may not want to hear - but it also depends on what type of program you come from (e.g., a professional school). We have discussed that already.

InUrhead, how beneficial was reading articles of your interviewers? Did your interviewers quiz you on their work? I imagine this step is important in the application process, but I did not find a significant benefit of doing this type of prep for interviews. At my interviews they either had pre-figured questions or they wanted me to talk about my research.

Can you apply for an extension through your graduate college?

So here's the thing... I went through the match process a second time this year and did not match. Had 7 interviews, all APA-accredited, 5 at VA sites and one at another prestigious hospital in NYC this time. Last year I had a total of 8 interviews, 6 at APA-sites. In the year in-between I all but finished my dissertation and gained more neuro experience (what I defnitely want to be doing). I am so taking the process personally, not so much the first time around, but this time I'm finding it almost impossible not to do so.

Can you apply for an extension through your graduate college?

Finally! Someone offers a plausible alternative instead of just pointing out ways in which the 25% who did not pass may not have "tried" hard enough!

For those feeling oh-so-superior, keep in mind the TYPE of program makes a huge difference. Obviously there is APPIC-only vs. APA, but there is also discrepancies within APA sites. VAs may arguably be the most difficult to obtain (as a group) because they tend to not want anyone with less than 6 years experience, lots of assessment, and previous VA work. In contrast, CMHCs (as a group) are generally considered "easier" to get in to. I am not making any judgments about quality of training, simply difficulty for match. For example: I am interested in in-patient hospitals. I have zero hours of assessment. However, I managed to land two interviews, one at a very prestigious site (I did come out empty handed, and I don't doubt my assessment experience had a lot to do with that). In contrast, I would say my colleague's vita far surpasses mine: she has TA'ed for assessment classes, has a fair number of hours, has been involved in school organizations, done poster sesssions, etc. Yet, she was unable to land a single interview at a VA - the site she has her heart set on. It was only after speaking to her VA supervisor that she learned of this 6+ yrs of experience they frequently look for (we both went to grad school straight from undergrad with no experience in between).

The moral of the story: It isn't just Daisy vs. Danny and if Danny wins he was more prepared. There are lot of factors, some we can control (like what sites we apply to) and some we can't (like what sites we actually enjoy). And then there is the fact, mentioned at least twice already, that this year there were over 600 more applicants than there were positions. even in today's job market we'd probably have better odds!

PsyDGal, I am really sorry that your school is structured in a way that causes it to be so inflexible, even as TDs acknowledge that there are major flaws in the system and that it is, truly, unfair. I don't have a solution, but were I in your shoes I would petition the heck out of my school to extend me a year before giving up my VA dreams. You are drawn to one of the most competitive and rigid corners of our field, and you should be rewarded for that, not punished. I wish you the best of luck.

I think positions at medical schools and/or consortiums can be very hard to get (thinking Boston Consortium, Vanderbilt Consortium, etc), though I think VAs have become a lot more competitive because of the excellent access to VA post-docs/jobs afterwards. There are certain VAs that have always been competitive, but some of the lesser known ones definitely became more competitive. It isn't perfect, but working with Veterans can be a great experience, the training tends to be good, and the job options seem to be there....at least with the current wars being fought.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am interested in in-patient hospitals. I have zero hours of assessment.

Please note i am not asking the following to be insulting, as i am truly interested in how practicum and clinical training is monitored and overseen in other programs.

Are you saying you never gave a single WAIS/WISC, RBANS, or MMPI-2, MCMI, etc. during grad school in all your practicums? Is this correct? How does this happen? I appreciate a hands off program, but that seems like they were simply not paying attention to what their students were doing?

Last edited:
Are you saying you never gave a single WAIS/WISC, RBANS, or MMPI-2, MCMI, etc. during grad school in all your practicums? Is this correct? How does this happen? I appreciate a hands off program, but that seems like they were simply not paying attention to what their students were doing?

You got it. The only testing I have done has been through my classes, not practicum. There are practica that offer assessment, but I managed to find 3 that do not (yay me). I was honestly oblivious to this being abnormal, and thus a major flaw in my application, until in was time to fill out my AAPI. I was told, during an "Internship Orientation" at our school last spring that, if we wanted a hospital, we should "try to get some assessment experience over the summer." Perhaps they meant in addition to experience we should already have? Either way, I know there are a number of practica in my area that do not offer assessment. So, if you don't know to look for it you probably aren't going to get it.

Ironically, while discussing my options for next year w/ my DCT today he did echo the importance of adding assessment experience to make myself more competitive for next year. Could have used that advice two years ago!

Yes, although there are good students at both university and professional programs, you are at a definite disadvantage when you attend a for-profit school.

I just want to point out, for clarity's sake, that not all so-called "professional schools" (and btw, I can't get over the use of this term since ALL schools that lead to a professional degree/licensure are "professional schools," but I know what you all mean) are for-profit. At least some are not-for-profit (which is still different than non-profit).

PsyDGal: Also keep in mind that it does happen that VA positions come into the Clearinghouse process, often in summer or fall...
You might also ask (after the Match frenzy has passed some) the DCT at some of your ideal sites for feedback on why you did not rank well enough.

I just want to acknowledge this great piece of positively-spun advice. I managed to overlook you, Docma, amongst the flurry of "what you could do different if you had a time machine" comments. While chances of placing after the first week of CH seem marginal, spots do become open, and people do place. I think keeping just a glimmer of hope alive is safe. :)

IsItOver- I just wanted to say that yours is not the first story I've heard about schools who didn't properly warn students that they'd need assessment experience before internship. That's really the school's job, and it sounds like the DCT may have been out of touch with the current trends in the internship market. I actually took an extra year before applying for internship because of my paltry testing experience. I'm sure that if I hadn't taken the initiative to beef up this aspect of my skill-set I'd never have stood a chance getting matched to a hospital in NYC (which is where I am now).

One thing you could do is to use your experience to help out other students in your program. Perhaps you could help organize a panel discussion where you and others who've been through the process give "younger' students the straight scoop on what it takes to be competitive for internships?

Wishing you good luck in this frustrating process.

Agreed. Most programs (mine included) have mandatory types of practica at various training levels (ie., assessment prac I, therapy prac I). Although you get to choose/apply to the site of your choice, it has to geared toward either assessment or therapy depending on if its "Assessment Practicum I" or "Therapy Practicum I". This is one way that a program oversees that students have proper breadth and depth of clinical training. If you dont have something like this, this seems like a major flaw in your program. Was the DCT asleep at the wheel on this one? And didnt you have consult with you advisor each year on where you were applying to practica? I guess this seems strange because we get heavy, heavy input form our advisors on where to go for the next prac based on our training needs and goals, not to mention that we are required certain types pracs the first year ands half. I'm sorry, but i just think you really got the shaft here! I think I would feel pretty awkward if I went off to internship and had never written a mmpi report on a patient!!

Last edited:
So, I have a tentative plan for beefing up my experience/vita over the next year. Some of this will load on my Summary of Training, and some will not. However, I have heard that some sites weed out candidates by simply looking at their Summary of Training. If you don't have x hrs, you're gone. I was just wondering if people would be willing to share what they have heard is a decent amount of testing experience to have? I know there is going to be signfiicant variation person-to-person and site-to-site, and more is probably better, period, but what would be like an acceptable/safe amount? How many have those who Matched completed according to their Summaries of Training on the AAPI?

Thanks!!

Most students who matched from my program had well over 100 hrs of assessment and at least between 6-10 integrated reports written. My strengths were in therapy ( over 1000 clinical hrs). I feel I was on the low-average side in terms of my assessment experience when I applied to internship. Still, many sites asked me about testing, especially Rorschach (this is big in NYC) during my interviews. Many sites I applied to also asked for one of my test reports in order to evaluate my testing knowledge. What I heard from many training directors was this: we don't expect you to be an expert in testing when you come here, but we need to be sure you've been taught and have practiced the basics.

This has been my experience. Others may have different experiences to share.

Hello everyone,

First of all, congratulations to all those who matched and my sincere regrets to those who did not. I have also been on this listserv without posting, but really feel compelled to post something now on this topic since I have a lot of experience in this process and want to offer a unique and more global perspective. AND...since others are disclosing up front, in the interest of full disclosure, I will do the same--for several years now I have been providing very specialized consulting to internship applicants with a great deal of success. I am NOT soliciting and I will NOT mention my business or website. I want to offer some sincere observations from someone who has been in the training community a long time. I am not an internship director (though I do supervise practicum students), but for many years now, through my state-wide and national leadership positions since year 1 in grad school (yikes! over 10 years ago), I have been very involved in internship training issues at just about every level, from micro to macro.

The system is indeed broken and it needs fixing. Many professional groups involved in this process are trying to fix it, but that will take time. For now, the imbalance is not going to go away anytime soon and will only get worse as greater numbers of students apply to internships (in addition to many of those who didn't match the year before), while the number of internships can never keep up the growth pace. The no match/match ratio continues to hover around 1 out of 4 NOT matching, and I don't see that changing; this year it was 23% that did not match. Does that mean it's hopeless? No. Keep in mind that 75% of applicants (77% this year) get matched, and over 80% of those matching get 1 of their top 3 sites--that has been pretty steady for the last several years. Therefore, it's not as bleak a picture as we think; remember, most people match and most match well. That said, will there still be some exceptional students who do NOT get matched? Yes, that also seems to happen every year (but it's a far smaller percentage than you think). So, is there some luck factor at play here? I don't think so. What accounts for that seemingly strange phenomena is indeed intangible and difficult to understand, but it relates more to issues of "fit" than luck. Furthermore, I don't see how we can even begin to assign a percentage to it (where did 50% come from?), whatever individuals think the "luck" phenomena is.

"Hewhoforgets" made some very excellent points about some of the things that applicants can do to improve their materials. Does putting a lot of hard work into the process pay off? Yes. Will that absolutely guarantee you success? Not necessarily. It depends on what you're doing and where you are getting direction from--it's all about knowing STRATEGY. That's why it DOES pay to have a lot of different sources review materials and give feedback--sometimes even DCTs who you think should be the most informed and expert in this area are not giving the best advice. My point here is that there is A LOT an applicant can do to ensure a match and a great deal that they can control. My experience is, if they do that, AND they do it right (again, strategically) they can and do absolutely increase their chances of matching. Does effort alone ensure that you get matched? Not exactly, because I've seen many students who do a lot but are misdirected or misinformed about good strategies and sometimes their efforts are unsuccessful despite feleing like they did everything they could.

So here's what I see when some of those "exceptional" unmatched candidates come my way for help: many ARE indeed great candidates, BUT sometimes they haven't "packaged" themselves well, meaning their materials just don't capture or illustrate their experiences, strengths and interests. Other times they just haven't given themselves credit (on paper) for all their experiences, which means not calculating hours well or leaving things out of their application because they simply didn't know or were misinformed. And still other times, the problem stems from a very basic misstep--not properly defining training goals. This is an ESSENTIAL first step in this process. If you do not really know what YOU want from an internship site, how do you expect to find the best MATCH? Playing the "numbers game" as I call it, by applying to a lot of sites just to increase your chances is an ILLUSION, and NOT a good strategy. It's like closing your eyes and trying to hit a dart board from a certain distance--will you hit the board sometimes? Yes. Will you hit the best target, probably not. And is that really the best way to "play" for a win? I think just about everyone would say NO.

What about those who got a good number of interviews but didn't match you ask? Well, even there, as some have said, there usually is some kind of weakness. As an anecdote, I'll share that someone came to me for help after submitting applications, not having known about me earlier. She still wanted me to review the materials post-hoc just to get a sense of how strong I felt they were, and to reassure her. I have to say, and I told her this also, they were "hands down" the BEST essays and materials I had EVER seen, and that's saying A LOT--she didn't need my help. So she was relieved but still wanted to do some interview coaching to make herself feel like she did everything she could. So I agreed, and had high expectations, believing we would meet once, she'd probably do very well and be reassured, and that would be that. Well guess what? Despite truly being an exceptional candidate, she had some significant performance issues when interviewing, and as an interviewer, I would very likely NOT have ranked her highly. Some of it was confidence, some was being too self-effacing (which I find a lot in good candidates), and some of it was, surprisingly, poorly articulating her responses, despite how incredible a writer she was. Soooo...she did get A LOT of interviews, as I suspected, because of the great materials and ultimately she matched to one of her top choices. HOWEVER, we actually had to work very hard to improve and polish those interview skills. I am quite confident that if we hadn't, she very likely would have been one of those "mysterious" exceptional candidates who didn't match. And that's just one example of the more explicit issues. Other times, it's the more subtle stuff that few people can pick up on unless you really get some good thorough feedback in as simulated a situation as possible, like a mock interview with an experienced interviewer.

And still other times, materials are great, interview skills are good--overall a great candidate--but they choose sites that actually are not such a good fit. So they DO get interviews because generally they come across well on paper, and the interviews go ok, but they are just not a TOP match for the site. I cannot tell you how many times I've heard internship directors through the years (and I know A LOT of them) say how they will review/interview someone who is a great applicant, but just NOT great for them! So will they agree the person is a great candidate in general? Yes, but they won't rank them highly. And that DOES happen more times than you think.

What else? Well sometimes applicants have restrictions related to geography, life circumstances/quality of life issues or very narrow goals/interests, and this does contribute to the problem, resulting in the "poor match" scenario I just mentioned above. In these cases, applicants need to make some tough choices. It really isn't just a question of effort or applying to as many sites as you can--what's the point if you really won't be able to go, or just aren't a good match--it's a futile effort. I've worked a lot with these kinds of applicants also, and it requires that we frequently do a reality check of how well aligned we are with training goals, available options, and realistic expectations of outcome. Many times, we weigh the priorities of needing to stick to the restrictions (geographic or otherwise) VS. not getting matched or re-applying next year when circumstances are different. Applying to internships doesn't happen in a vaccuum, and in the middle of all this, life happens, and that can impact the outcome also.

So what are the TAKE HOME points of all of this?:
--Most people DO match, and match well
--Most of it IS in your control
--There is A LOT you can do to improve your materials/interview skills (and your chances!)
--Not every weakness is obvious; in fact many are more subtle
--Extra effort DOES make the difference, but those efforts need to be strategic and informed
--If you aren't sure about something go to an expert source, and ASK where that information is coming from! (You'd be surprised what people say; even some presumed experts are giving advice based on subjective experiences from when THEY applied, or rumors they've heard, or on uncommon isolated incidents that really don't generalize)
--Ultimately, it IS all about the MATCH, so know your training goals and choose your sites well

--More isn't always better

--Sometimes you need to make some tough choices, so prioritize well
--There is always going to be some unxplained factor and trying to figure it out is NOT the best use of efforts
--There IS a STRATEGY to applying!

I hope this helps...

Best,
JM

To some extent the answer on this will vary with the kind of site you are seeking and you can get a measure of that by looking at the stats in the online directory about this (at the bottom of each posting). There are site that highly value and require testing (including very specific test); others where the emphasis is on clinical interview but very little formal testing is required/expected/possibile. You need to figure this out in relation to your target sites.

Meanwhile, every psychologist should have knowledge of what is in a basic battery and have had coursework with lab in basic tests and (most importantly) how to write and evaluate testing reports.

At a minimum I think you want to have done 3-5 integrated reports (eg: interview plus 2-4 measures) on real clients (not practice subjects) before you graduate in order to be credible to post-doc employers.

To some extent the answer on this will vary with the kind of site you are seeking and you can get a measure of that by looking at the stats in the online directory about this (at the bottom of each posting). There are site that highly value and require testing (including very specific test); others where the emphasis is on clinical interview but very little formal testing is required/expected/possibile. You need to figure this out in relation to your target sites.

Meanwhile, every psychologist should have knowledge of what is in a basic battery and have had coursework with lab in basic tests and (most importantly) how to write and evaluate testing reports.

At a minimum I think you want to have done 3-5 integrated reports (eg: interview plus 2-4 measures) on real clients (not practice subjects) before you graduate in order to be credible to post-doc employers.

As usual, docma is right on the money. Applicants need to know their sites. It can sometimes be hard to pull out detailed information about exactly how much assessment is expected, but certain setting have more "expected" assessment requirements then others. Many sites will list their "core competency" areas, which will tell you what they believe is important, and it lets the applicant know what they will learn if they were at that site.

For people looking at VAs....you need to have assessment and report writing experience. Period. Most Veterans coming into the system need testing, and considering the push to get OEF/OIF Veterans in the system, it will only become more of a need. An applicant needs at least the basics (WAIS, MMPI, MCMI, screeners like the BAI/BDI/GDS, etc). There will be variance by training programs (MMPI v. MCMI v. PAI), but you need to know something from each area. It's great if you've worked with more VA friendly assessments like the Mississippi, PCL-M, etc...but those are easy enough to pick up as long as you are strong with IQ and personality.

Projective testing is a wildcard....some VAs have a much stronger emphasis. The VA I am at does not, but one of our sister VAs has a formal course in projective assessment.Many hospitals do not utilize projectives, but it is popular in the Northeast and a few other places.

In regard to integrated report writing, if you haven't written at least 6-8 integrated reports.....you should really gain more experience if you want to be competitive in a VA setting. i know when I reviewed applications assessment experience and report writing were two areas I gave a solid look because we use assessments on every rotation to help inform our clinical interventions. You don't have to have completed a formal year of just assessment work where you cranked out reports, but you need to know how to write a solid report. It is a core skill every clinical psychologist should have before leaving their program, and DEFINITELY have before leaving internship.

We have seen some great advice over the last couple days on what people can do next year as they gear up for Match. However, the people offering the advice seem to continually want to down-play the skills of those who do not Match (such as implying that only a very small percentage of that 23% were actually competitive candidates). For the record, I am not speaking from a defensive point, because I think we have all agreed that my lack of assessment experience completely demolished my chances of matching this year. However, I think it is important for people to remember that sites saw record numbers of applicants this year because of the new online system which allows quicker and easier application submission (ex: 250 people for 4 positions!). In addition, this number is likely to grow next year and the years after if they do not cap the number of sites to which applicants are allowed to apply. As this number grows, and the number of faculty at sites do not, the time which can be allotted to each application drops. I don't doubt that mine never made it past the first reviewer at most sites because they probably skipped right to my Summary of Training, saw no assessment, and moved on. My point is that sites aren't necessarily taking the time to read all of your well-prepared materials if you do not make it past some pre-established screening process. I actually think my materials are what got me my interviews, despite my assessment experience, though they were obviously not enough in the end. That said, I think the sites that took the time to get to my essays, despite my experience, were the exception, not the rule. Thus, a failure to match does not mean that the majority of those 600+ people were not competitive candidates. I wouldn't be surprised to find that many were. However, it is VERY hard to come out one of the top 4 of 200+ applicants, especially if that number is only multiplied by a relatively small number of interviews. Heck, I could even see how being the 199th application someone reviews could be detrimental - they're probably tired of reading the damn things! Hopefully the powers that be will find a way to keep the number of applications sites see reasonable relative to the total number of applicants applying.

Okay, that was a WAY longer post than I feel comfortable with, so even
though I could go on I am going to wrap it up.

Much love to my fellow non-matchees and to the matchees who have offered their kind, supportive (and outraged) words. In my supervisor's words: "it's the sites' loss." <3

Last edited:
Just wanted to point out T4C is right on the money about needing assessment and report writing skills for VAs. Personally, though, I didn't know the MMPI, MCMI, or any of the personality batteries well enough to list them on my CV, but I was matched to my top VA site. I think it really depends on each VA. The one I was matched to has a even balance of research and clinical work (versus pure clinical) and it didn't seem to bother them that much that I did not have personality assessment experience. Of course, I had other assessment skills that perhaps made up for it (substance abuse & PTSD interviews), but I just didn't want anyone to be discouraged. But many clinical VA sites DO have a heavy emphasis on personality assessments, that is true. For example, I couldn't apply to sites that specifically stated they wanted students who were skilled at the MMPI and Rorschach. But not all of them have that expectation.

For people looking at VAs....you need to have assessment and report writing experience. Period. Most Veterans coming into the system need testing, and considering the push to get OEF/OIF Veterans in the system, it will only become more of a need. An applicant needs at least the basics (WAIS, MMPI, MCMI, screeners like the BAI/BDI/GDS, etc). There will be variance by training programs (MMPI v. MCMI v. PAI), but you need to know something from each area. It's great if you've worked with more VA friendly assessments like the Mississippi, PCL-M, etc...but those are easy enough to pick up as long as you are strong with IQ and personality.

Before I make my comment on the quoted text. I want to say congratulations to everyone who matched and my condolences for those who did not. It saddens me to hear people say that they received no support from faculty during the internship process. And to hear that faculty are saying "oops maybe I should of told you to do some assessment" after the fact! The idea is incredibly insane to me. My school offers monthly internship meetings which are mandatory throughout the entire process from May of the year that we are applying to May of the year we leave for internship. These meetings were incredibly informative and provided us with support throughout the year. In addition, professors were always available to answer questions. I had to help one of my friends go through clearinghouse this year, and our DOT was right there, calling to check in, forwarded potential sites that this person would be a good fit for, etc. Thank god he actually matched through clearinghouse. For those of you not getting support, I would request such things, you put a lot of your soul into getting this degree, and to be left flapping in the wind is downright unfair. I do agree with what people have said on this site about having a strategy for the match. I think that is SO important. I believe it is the reason why I had such an "easy" time with the process. One of the biggest, and I think obvious things that I did was, I had a cutoff when it came to the number of applications a site received. I believe I'm a good student, but if a site is receiving 250 applications and interviewing 30 people, what are my odds? It really does come down to a numbers game in a lot of way. The sites you choose to apply to are so important, I know many of you had to get APA sites for your program, but there are levels of competitiveness within APA. Everyone knows that VA's, Federal Prisons, Yale Medical School, etc, are all SUPER competitive. Places like this are getting the best of the best, and that is not to say that you aren't, but your entire list should not be places such as this, it decreases your odds. I ended up getting 12 interviews and I think it had to do with how I designed my list and the quality of my internship essays. Again, congrats and many internet hugs to those who need them.

Now on to this....

Yes, although there are good students at both university and professional programs, you are at a definite disadvantage when you attend a for-profit school. Although I really feel for students who did not match, this can also serve as a teachable moment for others: Look at a prospecitve program's match rate before you accept an offer.
[/QUOTE]

I am so sick and tired of people bashing particular programs, bashing Psy.D's etc. I go to a for profit school and I'll be the first person to say that I get downright angry sometimes at things that happen on the BUSINESS side of it, but I have EXCELLENT professors at my school who provide me with guidance and support and a quality education and shield me from those things as much as possible. Maybe my program is the exception, but I take offense to what I believe to be derogatory comments. My school had an 84% match rate (pre-clearinghouse) and it's 95% now. The majority of us are going to APA accredited sites. I myself received my first choice which was an APA site. Several of my friends are going to VA's this year (3 if I remember correctly). This disadvantage, this stigma you speak of only persists because people like you hold a prejudice against people who do not come from traditional Ph.D. programs.

I am so sick and tired of people bashing particular programs, bashing Psy.D's etc. I go to a for profit school and I'll be the first person to say that I get downright angry sometimes at things that happen on the BUSINESS side of it, but I have EXCELLENT professors at my school who provide me with guidance and support and a quality education and shield me from those things as much as possible. Maybe my program is the exception, but I take offense to what I believe to be derogatory comments. My school had an 84% match rate (pre-clearinghouse) and it's 95% now. The majority of us are going to APA accredited sites. I myself received my first choice which was an APA site. Several of my friends are going to VA's this year (3 if I remember correctly). This disadvantage, this stigma you speak of only persists because people like you hold a prejudice against people who do not come from traditional Ph.D. programs.

:clap: I am so glad to hear you say this :) As much as I am hating on my school right now, it really should only be directed at my DCT (who did make calls on my behalf, once asked, btw). Yes, a HUGE ball was dropped when they didn't give us proper guidance to ensure our prac training included the assess hrs expected at most APA sites. However, overall I think my education has been great. I go to a larger program, which means a more diverse student body and a large number of classes offered (still with usually only 6-10 people in each). My professors have been wonderful, and over-all so have my practicum experiences. I actually have more hours of clinical therapy work than most people I have encountered outside my school (probably because the hours that would have been assessment have been therapy), and I feel quite capable at this point. I am quite unhappy with our DCT, and I think a change needs to be made, but had I paid more attention/done more research on the issue I could have easily found a way to get the assess experience I needed. Despite having to now do an extra year, I do not for a second regret my choice to attend my large, not-for-profit, "professional school," over the large university which also accepted me to its small group of 9 psych students.

Robinsena, I LOVE your avatar!!! :)

Haha, thanks!

Re: professional schools, I can understand the feeling to defend one's program especially if it seems like for-profit professional schools are bearing the brunt of the attack. But I don't believe that anyone here said that prof schools are the biggest or only reason why people don't match. I think they were just pointing out how sometimes applicants to graduate school should check internship match rates before they consider accepting admission into a program, and I do honestly think that there are some prof schools there who offer a rosy picture of admission, enrollment, graduate and directly onto the title of 'psychologist' without acknowledging honestly some of the limitations of their programs, which may include a low match rate.

Forensic Psych, I'm happy that your experience in grad school has been a positive one. Unfortunately that's not the case in some professional schools where student-to-faculty ratio and class sizes are ridiculous, clinical training opportunities are poor, and the faculty are not invested in helping their students develop professionally. I think it's those types of schools that people should be aware of when considering pursuing a degree in clin psych.

I think there's plenty of criticism that can be said of some PhD programs as well. I didn't match this year and I am coming from a very research oriented PhD program. Since the emphasis was on research, we were always encouraged to focus on our research and just do the minimum in terms of clinical work, with the only requirement of the program being to carry a caseload of 2 clients through their in-house clinic. Externships or clinical placements weren't required but it was recommended to maybe do at least one part time externship for a few hours a week, with no guidance as to what to choose. I did more than the minimum of clinical work to make me more competitive, while still focusing on research and other things that I thought were more important (and will be more important for ultimately getting a research job) but it wasn't enough to be qualified for a competitive internship (having publications and great research experience isn't enough). They always said don't worry, our students always match to great programs and led us into a false sense of security, but with the imbalance getting worse their match statistics aren't so great anymore and I think the lack of emphasis on clinical training has a lot to do with it.

InUrhead, how beneficial was reading articles of your interviewers? Did your interviewers quiz you on their work? I imagine this step is important in the application process, but I did not find a significant benefit of doing this type of prep for interviews. At my interviews they either had pre-figured questions or they wanted me to talk about my research.

They appeared genuinely impressed and flattered that I was able to ask them about their work and not just talk about mine. Plus, while most of us won't be doing research on internship, it at least gave us a better opportunity to talk about what we had in common from a research perspective which only made the interview feel more comfortable and successful.

I would probably feel the same way if I had chosen to apply to a professional school.

I think there's plenty of criticism that can be said of some PhD programs as well. I didn't match this year and I am coming from a very research oriented PhD program. Since the emphasis was on research, we were always encouraged to focus on our research and just do the minimum in terms of clinical work, with the only requirement of the program being to carry a caseload of 2 clients through their in-house clinic. Externships or clinical placements weren't required but it was recommended to maybe do at least one part time externship for a few hours a week, with no guidance as to what to choose. I did more than the minimum of clinical work to make me more competitive, while still focusing on research and other things that I thought were more important (and will be more important for ultimately getting a research job) but it wasn't enough to be qualified for a competitive internship (having publications and great research experience isn't enough). They always said don't worry, our students always match to great programs and led us into a false sense of security, but with the imbalance getting worse their match statistics aren't so great anymore and I think the lack of emphasis on clinical training has a lot to do with it.
I am just curious--is your program APA accredited? I thought all APA accredited programs required a certain number of clinical hours.

So, I have a tentative plan for beefing up my experience/vita over the next year. Some of this will load on my Summary of Training, and some will not. However, I have heard that some sites weed out candidates by simply looking at their Summary of Training. If you don't have x hrs, you're gone. I was just wondering if people would be willing to share what they have heard is a decent amount of testing experience to have? I know there is going to be signfiicant variation person-to-person and site-to-site, and more is probably better, period, but what would be like an acceptable/safe amount? How many have those who Matched completed according to their Summaries of Training on the AAPI?

Thanks!!

First of all, I want to commend you on your positive attitude and willingness to pick yourself up and move on from this disappointing experience.

I don't know what an acceptable or safe amount of assessment experience would be, but I can tell you about my numbers. I thought I saw on an older post that you were interested in psychiatric hospitals. I applied to psychiatric/state hospitals and prisons. I did well at securing psych hospital interviews (6), but not so well at prisons (1). However, I matched to my 2nd choice. On my Aapi I have 295 hours of assessment experience. This came from a variety of sources, a state hospital, prison, inpatient unit at a "regular" hospital, private practitioner's office, etc. I don't know if this number is high or average, but it seemed to work okay for the psychiatric hospital settings. If you have any other questions I would be happy to help any way I can.

On another note, I was hoping to hear from those who secured a federal prison internship or interviews and what they thought made them stand out. I have prison and state hospital experience and presented on ex-offenders at a national conference, but only got one prison interview out of seven. I am still hoping to make it into the prison system eventually and any words of advice would be most appreciated!

On my Aapi I have 295 hours of assessment experience. This came from a variety of sources, a state hospital, prison, inpatient unit at a "regular" hospital, private practitioner's office, etc.

On another note, I was hoping to hear from those who secured a federal prison internship or interviews and what they thought made them stand out. I have prison and state hospital experience and presented on ex-offenders at a national conference, but only got one prison interview out of seven. I am still hoping to make it into the prison system eventually and any words of advice would be most appreciated!

Thank you for your feedback! And you are correct, an inpatient psych hospital is where I would like to eventually end up. How many integrated reports did you complete? Also, did all of those sources you mentioned count as "practica?" I am asking b/c I thought only practicum experiences loaded on that Summary of Training.

I don't have any advice about how to make it into the prison system (and I can't believe you didn't get more prison interviews with your credentials!). However, I know that FMC Devens interviewed current practicum students for next year's intern positions. Thus, I imagine they were at a distinct advantage and could reflect why other, well qualified people did not place.

Last edited:
I am just curious--is your program APA accredited? I thought all APA accredited programs required a certain number of clinical hours.

Yes it is accredited and, no there is no required number of hours, though there are some minimal clinical requirements like certain types of assessments you have to do. It was a struggle just to get some advice from them on what a reasonable number of hours to have before internship would be.

Since I have a few moments, I thought I would share some other tips and things that I thought made my stand out and get my 1st choice which was an APA site. I think your mindset going into the interviews is so important. Someone earlier suggested practicing interview skills and I could not agree more. My school gives us an internship handbook and one of the sections is interview questions, those typically asked, and ones that actual students heard while on internship. I literally went though each question and came up with answers and key points I wanted to address if asked these questions. Then I practiced on several different occasions with a friend of mine. So, for the most part, none of the questions were a surprise to me, though I did have a couple zingers. The best metaphor I can give for internship interviews is this, it's like speed dating. You have one hour to make a person want to commit to you for a year. So, you really have to sell yourself. They already know you are qualified, they wouldn't have given you the interview if you weren't, now they want to see what your personality is like, they want to know that you can add to the environment clinically and interpersonally. That was the mindset I had during my interviews and I didn't feel like I bombed any of them. Another big selling point for me is that I already had my dissertation done before selling interviews, and even if they didn't ask me about my topic, I made sure to bring that up somehow. For those of you taking an extra year, this will give you an advantage. Every site I went to was impressed and glad that'd I'd be able to focus all of my energy into the internship. I know most of you here applied to 15 sites, I applied to 25 (got 12 interviews), I know many of you want a limit placed on the number of applications but I don't think that's going to happen anytime soon and 3,890 people applied this year. So, my advice would be to apply to a few more and have your list be stratified as I spoke of earlier. There was so many people on here that did the 15 and only got 1-3 interviews, I'm sure some if not most of them still matched, but that had to be stressful. It's better to be safe than sorry. Also, in the internship handbook, my school provided us with stats regarded where previous students had interviews, and where all the previous students had matched. So, when I made my list, several of the sites overlapped. It made me feel safer knowing that at least I could probably get an interview because someone from my school had interviewed or matched there previously. It has been my experience that many sites become "unofficially affiliated" with certain schools. Looking over previous intern lists I often found the same school listed over and over. That being said I matched at a site than had never taken a student from my school before (or given them an interview for that matter). So, when I go off on internship and do well, perhaps this site will be more open to interviewing students from my school in the future. Kind of like a pay it forward. As far as experience, I was pretty well rounded, 375 assessment hours, 406 therapy, 51 reports, total of around 1600 hours on my AAPI, so I'm sure that helped in me getting interviews as well.

Thank you for your feedback! And you are correct, an inpatient psych hospital is where I would like to eventually end up. How many integrated reports did you complete? Also, did all of those sources you mentioned count as "practica?" I am asking b/c I thought only practicum experiences loaded on that Summary of Training.

I don't have any advice about how to make it into the prison system (and I can't believe you didn't get more prison interviews with your credentials!). However, I know that FMC Devens interviewed current practicum students for next year's intern positions. Thus, I imagine they were at a distinct advantage and could reflect why other, well qualified people did not place.

I had 21 adult reports and 8 child ones. The places I mentioned did include practicum experience. We got a new DCT a couple years ago and he is really strict with making sure we are doing at least one additional practicum per semester (in addition to our 5-6 required ones). In fact, he warned us that he would be hesitant to sign off unless we had at least 1000-1100 hours of experience. Looking at the hours of accepted interns over the last few years, that seems unnecessarily high, although I'm sure it doesn't hurt. Because of this, I ended up taking another year just to get more experience before even applying. However, I knew this early on so it was easier to plan for. If you have any other questions please let me know. And I'm holding out hope that something still works out for you this year!!!:xf:

First let me express my sincere support as you try and navigate this broken system. I am wondering if PsyDGal would be able to apply for a leave of absence - bypassing the 7 year max in her program - but still enroll in the match next year? If so, PsyDGal may be able to get employment next year that serves the purpose of paying her bills while also bolstering her CV in someway (teaching, research, clinical) and still keep open her desire to pursue a VA career in the future by attending an APA-accredited internship site. Also, I want to reiterate a point made in another post that CH positions may pop up in the next few months and if one is willing to move across the country on a moments notice you might certainly snap one of those up. To help a friend last year that didn't match I signed up for the CH listserv and recall getting several emails right around the start date for many internships (7/1 and 9/1) about positions that suddenly opened up- can't recall how many for APA accredited. I often wonder if interns get there and it doesn't work or more $ was found, either way it is something to keep in mind. Again, I wish PsyDGal good luck with this process and truly hope everyone in this same position finds a solution that works for them personally and professionally.

Just wanted to see how everyone was doing. Did anyone accept a position in the clearinghouse process or after? How many of you are moving away for internship? I'm hoping everyone is doing well! :p

I'm getting ready to finish out the semester and move to my match location. I definitely have "senioritis" and can't wait to get out of classes. I don't move to PA until the end of August but I'm moving home to MD for 2 months to detox :)