2010-2011 Brown University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm getting nervous now. Decisions for my interview date come out on the 28th :scared:

Same here. Maybe we interviewed together...

12/16?

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Same here. Maybe we interviewed together...

12/16?

Good luck!

We did interview together. Good luck to both of us. BTW wasn't Barbara awesome? I love how she was going around taking pictures of everyone:laugh:

We did interview together. Good luck to both of us. BTW wasn't Barbara awesome? I love how she was going around taking pictures of everyone:laugh:

For sure. Barbara was/is pretty awesome.

Members don't see this ad :)

Before Brown, I thought BU's Dean Witzburg was really cool, but Barbara blew him out of the water. ; )

(haha yay schools with dynamic admissions director personalities!)

But I loved loved Brown. If nothing changes in a few months, I'll be matriculating here <33

I interviewed 12/18 and we're supposed to find out 1/28 at noon EST. That's with holidays though. For some reason I was under the impression that Brown's turnaround time is pretty short...a week maybe, under normal circumstances.

At my interview day, Barbara told us that Brown releases post-interview admissions decisions 4 times. They're going to release their 3rd set of decisions this Friday, Jan 28. So no, it's not a week always under normal circumstances.

Barbara = :thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:! She gave some of us hugs on my interview day after we were done...and she even walked us out to the van! So nice. Someone said that saying bye to Barbara was like saying bye to her mom! :D

At my interview day, Barbara told us that Brown releases post-interview admissions decisions 4 times. They're going to release their 3rd set of decisions this Friday, Jan 28. So no, it's not a week always under normal circumstances.

Ah ha. That makes sense. I was trying to guess based on other people's interview/acceptance dates. Thanks for the clear-up.

Cool, thanks for the info. Does anyone happen to know when the fourth and last set of decisions will be released? It sounds like decisions came out end of December and end of January - can we expect end of February?

Cool, thanks for the info. Does anyone happen to know when the fourth and last set of decisions will be released? It sounds like decisions came out end of December and end of January - can we expect end of February?

Well, I'm not entirely sure. Barbara told us that they actually cut out their last two interview days due to the caliber of the applicants this year. So the last interviews will be in February (they cut out the first two weekends in March). So my guess is that the last set of decisions will come out in early march, one or two weeks after the last interview day. But that's just my thought. I don't actually know when the last interview day is.

They cut days due to the high caliber of applicants? WOW. Does that mean that those of us interviewing in mid-February are interviewing for the waitlist?

Last edited:
Ok, cool. I hadn't read anything about anyone getting waitlisted here, but I just wanted to check.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else had a hard time finding a student host? I have emailed six people over the past two weeks. Three have replied saying that they are out of town or have exams that week, and the other three still haven't answered. It was nowhere near this hard at other schools! Do I just have bad timing?

Does anyone know when people who got wait listed can start getting accepted? Could we find out with the third set of decisions?

DECISIONS ARE UP!!! ACCEPTED. WOOHOO:clap:

Congratulations. I think you also mentioned you are in at UMASS. Any preference?

Congratulations to everyone accepted and good luck to all waiting!

Congratulations. I think you also mentioned you are in at UMASS. Any preference?

Congratulations to everyone accepted and good luck to all waiting!

Right now, where I go is greatly dependent on financial aid. UMASS is quite cheap but I've also heard that Brown's pockets are quite deep. I guess its a waiting game from here on.

Bump. Anyone else coming to Brown next year? Has anyone seen the new campus?

Is anyone else interviewing this Thursday? I decided to arrive in Providence early (Wednesday afternoon) to check out the city and the campus. Anyone interested in joining me?

Can any medical students let me know what a day at Brown is like (i.e. class times and schedule).

Thanks

I thought they hadn't quite finished the new campus. The bus driver took us by the building on the way to the hospital tour though...

Also, does anyone know when second look is? I can't seem to find it...

Love Brown:love:

Not exactly a new "campus". It's a building without much around it, though the hospitals are just a 1/2 mile away. I'll try to post pictures of the new building going up, taken 2/23/11.

Not exactly a new "campus". It's a building without much around it, though the hospitals are just a 1/2 mile away. I'll try to post pictures of the new building going up, taken 2/23/11.

Here are some photographs from last week's visit.

Attachments

• IMG00090-20110223-1442.jpg
    IMG00090-20110223-1442.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 89
  • IMG00091-20110223-1442.jpg
    IMG00091-20110223-1442.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG00092-20110223-1442.jpg
    IMG00092-20110223-1442.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG00093-20110223-1443.jpg
    IMG00093-20110223-1443.jpg
    54 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG00095-20110223-1444.jpg
    IMG00095-20110223-1444.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG00102-20110223-1453.jpg
    IMG00102-20110223-1453.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 85
So where do most of the med students live... and is that likely to change based on the location of the new building? I've heard that the jewelery district isn't "the best neighborhood".

When I was there they told us that most students live in College Hill, and that is not likely to change next year. They will even be running a shuttle from College Hill to the new campus.

one week till decision day!
Don't remind me! Is anyone else starting to freak out? Brown is definitely my top choice, and I've had butterflies in my stomach since interview day hoping to get in!

I was waitlisted a while ago... Any current students have advice on how to contact the admissions office about WLs? I've heard that the dean at Columbia really appreciates update letters -- just wondering if this is the same at Brown.

i was accepted by online status update today (no email yet). does anyone know when 2nd look day is? :luck: everyone!

Second look is April 29-April 30

Does anyone know what Brown's grading system is like? Is it P/F?

statuses are up everybody! hit with the WL hammer again :(

sorry to hear about the WL :( brown is P/F the first semester and then high pass/pass/fail the rest of the time.

statuses are up everybody! hit with the WL hammer again :(
I'm right there with you. I've already been accepted to my 5th choice school (not bad from a list of 30 - we cali kids have to apply to a LOT). Still, Brown is definitely my #1 choice. I've sent my letter of interest/update letter, and now I guess I just have to cross my fingers...

Does anyone know how many people Brown puts on the wait list? Or at least if it's closer to 50 or 500?

I'm super bummed too, Brown is def my top choice!
They don't have 500 ppl on the waitlist cause they interview under 300 total...
Does anyone have any idea what percentage of the waitlist finally gets in?

Not to be all crazy, but does anyone have more intel on the waitlist? Specifically...

- How many people are waitlisted this year?
- How many people are expected to get in off the waitlist?
- How do they decide who to admit off the waitlist when a spot opens up? Is there a ranking? Is it demographics-based?
- If the waitlist is ranked, is it possible to find out what number you are?

I know I probably sound a little pathetic here, but I feel like the more information I have, the better I can judge how to move forward. If I'm #20 the waitlist and they only anticipate letting 5 people in, I need to start preparing myself to go to the school where I'm holding an acceptance, even if Brown IS my top choice. If, on the other hand, they anticipate letting 25 people in off the waitlist, nothing is certain! I don't really want to bug the admissions office with all of my questions at this point, either... :laugh:

This is my first waitlist, and it's making me even more crazy than waiting for today! :scared:

Many, many thanks to anyone with information!

I'm not sure about the specifics of the WL for Brown, but in general schools want to admit people off of the WL that they are sure will matriculate. If you really really love Brown and want to attend, don't be afraid to let the adcom know that. If you send in a polite letter expressing your continued interest/saying why you think you are a good fit, I can't imagine that you would be penalized for it... and best case scenario, when a WL spot opens up, they'll be thinking of you :luck:

Congrats to everyone accepted and good luck to those on the waitlist, hope I get to meet some of you next year!

Yeah, I just sent Barbara an email expressing how much I want to go to Brown, that it is my top choice, etc., which is, of course, ABSOLUTELY TRUE!!!

I'm starting to wonder whether I should send letters to my interviewers as well... I sent thank you notes after my interview, but now I'm wondering if I should send another round... I guess it couldn't hurt....

Hello All,

Congrats to everyone who has made it into Brown! And of course, good luck to those waiting to hear good news. I'm a first year and I think it's an awesome place. I just thought I'd share the match list with you guys so you could look it over...pretty impressive, huh?

Brown Match List

Happy St. Patty's Day all! May the luck o' the Irish be with ya :luck::luck::luck:

Do any current students know what Brown's policy is on deferrals? Do you need a really great reason like a fellowship or something, or is just wanting to travel in order to learn a language usually good enough? Thanks

Hello All,

Congrats to everyone who has made it into Brown! And of course, good luck to those waiting to hear good news. I'm a first year and I think it's an awesome place. I just thought I'd share the match list with you guys so you could look it over...pretty impressive, huh?

Brown Match List

Happy St. Patty's Day all! May the luck o' the Irish be with ya :luck::luck::luck:

As a fourth year, I also wanted to add that the rumor is that over 90% of the class matched at their first choice, which is amazing. The list, as usual, is impressive on its own right, but when you're comparing lists it's also important to consider that percentage...something I didn't really understand until going through the process since all the "other" factors (geography, "fit", unique program elements, faculty, etc.) are what you use to actually order programs that are all great academically....and those really vary from one person to another.

Good luck to everyone in making your decision...I've absolutely *loved* Brown and have never once regretted my decision (and, in fact, have had moments of being glad I picked Brown over the other schools I had been debating among).

Is there a Facebook group for admitted students? Sorry, I'm completely Facebook illiterate. It's ridiculous.

Also, who's going to 2nd look? It's 23.5 hours long...

Is there a Facebook group for admitted students? Sorry, I'm completely Facebook illiterate. It's ridiculous.

Also, who's going to 2nd look? It's 23.5 hours long...

I don't think there's a facebook page yet, although it's a good idea. I'll be at second look on Saturday.

Status
Not open for further replies.