****2009 Tmdsas***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Come on houston!

Members don't see this ad.

has anyone that has interviewed at Baylor heard back for the 2nd round?

I emailed Janet about Baylor. she informed me that their seats are currently all filled from Dec. 1 but ADCOM will meet in April to make alternate list and see who would be on that list.

it seems like a long shot but since they only gave out letters from Dec. 1st and there were no other 2nd round, hopefully many people have been accepted to other Texas schools after Dec. 1st, and there will be some fluctuation. But I would not count on it very much since they do give out about 40+ seats on Dec 1st than they could have and I don't think there will be that many people declining their seats at Baylor to offset extra letters

Good luck to us all

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah come on Houston, give Clubby the letter so SA will send me one!
either way congrats again Clubby, it must feel damn good =)

It feels pretty good...but ultimately throughout this process I learned to really just go with it. I don't really feel much different than when I did when I was waiting. I've had some rough life experiences that taught me to be relatively bulletproof. Receiving the acceptance didn't even hit me til 2 days after I got it; I was getting ready to reapply...and I have the stats so there was really nothing else I could do in this year off.

If you don't get in, you reapply. Life's not over. One year, two years, three years, its nothing in the big spectrum...especially with our life expectancies pushing 80-90. Heck, just think of it as an extra year to kinda chill before the hard, intense four years of dschool.

FWIW I'm still not set on Houston though, I LOVE SA...but my home is Houston.....so we shall see if I am fortunate enough to have a choice.

I dunno why I have a feeling that the classes at UTDB must be filled by now:scared:

Hi guys, I just wanted to let you all know that a classmate of mine got an acceptance to UTDB earlier today via email. I don't think he's on SDN so I thought this information would be helpful to all those waiting for an email. Best of luck everyone! :luck:

Hi guys, I just wanted to let you all know that a classmate of mine got an acceptance to UTDB earlier today via email. I don't think he's on SDN so I thought this information would be helpful to all those waiting for an email. Best of luck everyone! :luck:

this is depressing................

this is depressing................

Oh blah. There are still spots left.

Any idea when the due date for their accepting of admission is?

Last edited:

Did he get in anywhere else?? Is he going to Houston now???

Ummm to the best of my knowledge (like 99.9%) he is going to accept the offer by utdb he interviewed at Baylor last fall but he didn't mention anything about it. I don't know when the acceptance date is since I was informed via a message, sorry I couldn't be more help. :(

Ummm to the best of my knowledge (like 99.9%) he is going to accept the offer by utdb he interviewed at Baylor last fall but he didn't mention anything about it. I don't know when the acceptance date is since I was informed via a message, sorry I couldn't be more help. :(

Thank you so much!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
It feels pretty good...but ultimately throughout this process I learned to really just go with it. I don't really feel much different than when I did when I was waiting. I've had some rough life experiences that taught me to be relatively bulletproof. Receiving the acceptance didn't even hit me til 2 days after I got it; I was getting ready to reapply...and I have the stats so there was really nothing else I could do in this year off.

If you don't get in, you reapply. Life's not over. One year, two years, three years, its nothing in the big spectrum...especially with our life expectancies pushing 80-90. Heck, just think of it as an extra year to kinda chill before the hard, intense four years of dschool.

FWIW I'm still not set on Houston though, I LOVE SA...but my home is Houston.....so we shall see if I am fortunate enough to have a choice.

I would say it depends where you are in life. This is my second attempt and I currently don't know if I will try a third as my app will not be significantly different the 3rd time around. I already know I won't apply to Baylor if I do try one more time around as they already told me my courses are basically too old. So this leaves me with only Houston and SA. I did not get any out-of-state invites and with my family in TX, I will just focus on TX for any other attempts. But, my wife and I have been putting off our life (buying home, family, etc.) waiting to see where I might end up. I don't want to end up in my 40's and starting to practice let alone drag my wife through this whole process another year. I don't know how bad I want it...I guess it comes down to basic opportunity cost (if you remember basic economics). I have always thought about staying in academia getting my PhD but had doubts as I wonder if I would miss patient interaction. But I guess I have time to ponder my next decision...

On a side note, if you did nothing major during the past year waiting to hear from schools, would you re-apply or take a year off and try to improve your app...just a thought...and good luck to those still waiting...

if you already tried twice, you might as well try one more time. It wouldn't hurt to try. What is one more year of waiting since you still have a job and it hasn't affect your life any other way?

I would say it depends where you are in life. This is my second attempt and I currently don't know if I will try a third as my app will not be significantly different the 3rd time around. I already know I won't apply to Baylor if I do try one more time around as they already told me my courses are basically too old. So this leaves me with only Houston and SA. I did not get any out-of-state invites and with my family in TX, I will just focus on TX for any other attempts. But, my wife and I have been putting off our life (buying home, family, etc.) waiting to see where I might end up. I don't want to end up in my 40's and starting to practice let alone drag my wife through this whole process another year. I don't know how bad I want it...I guess it comes down to basic opportunity cost (if you remember basic economics). I have always thought about staying in academia getting my PhD but had doubts as I wonder if I would miss patient interaction. But I guess I have time to ponder my next decision...

On a side note, if you did nothing major during the past year waiting to hear from schools, would you re-apply or take a year off and try to improve your app...just a thought...and good luck to those still waiting...

I don't know much about the program, but you can always try to do the "prep" program for dental school if you didn't get into the San Antonio this year. You get to take some dental lab courses and stuff like that, and it is supposed to help you get in. And while doing that, you can apply to both Houston and SA and have it on your application.

Also... a friend of mine applied for the third year and got into Houston this year! So it can happen.

I would try to figure out what deficiencies you have in your application, and try to improve those. I was corresponding with someone on here a few months ago, and they are going to be taking some additional upper division classes. By doing this, you can still work, but also be helping your application. Take histology if you haven't done so already, and other recommended courses. Maybe see if you can get an assistant position (volunteer or paid) at a community clinic. Some of the community clinics are open on Saturdays, and most are open Fridays all day... at least here in SA.

Ultimately, you have to make the decision for yourself. But I wouldn't give up just yet. I know several people who have taken several attempts to get in. I know of a someone who was eventually accepted to dental school on the 6th try. I am not by any means implying you should do that... but if you do decide to apply again, I think you need to update your application with stuff, especially if you haven't changed anything over the course of applying. Adcoms don't want to see the same application. They want to see something new, how you have changed, how you are better applicant this year, etc. Maybe update LOR, personal statement, etc.

Best of luck.

I would say it depends where you are in life. This is my second attempt and I currently don't know if I will try a third as my app will not be significantly different the 3rd time around. I already know I won't apply to Baylor if I do try one more time around as they already told me my courses are basically too old. So this leaves me with only Houston and SA. I don't want to end up in my 40's and starting to practice let alone drag my wife through this whole process another year. I don't know how bad I want it...

Maybe your were not as serious about your change of career as it was originally presented.

Maybe your were not as serious about your change of career as it was originally presented.

I think it's hard to be serious when other parts of your life can't progress. I don't blame him for wanting to drop the idea of dental especially when the family needs him. It's a difficult situation and I wish you the best of luck.

Personally, if your application isnt going to change much, go ahead and apply again. There's no up or downside to it. Continue living!

In all honesty, it's going to two to three days out of next year (interviews) and another waiting period. If you do get accepted, well then make a decision at that point. You could utimately decide "No" to an acceptance and have peace of mind in your final choice.

P.S. Starting a family - it might indicate another need/non traditional student status for you that could even work in your favor.

I think it's hard to be serious when other parts of your life can't progress. I don't blame him for wanting to drop the idea of dental especially when the family needs him. It's a difficult situation and I wish you the best of luck.

Personally, if your application isnt going to change much, go ahead and apply again. There's no up or downside to it. Continue living!

In all honesty, it's going to two to three days out of next year (interviews) and another waiting period. If you do get accepted, well then make a decision at that point. You could utimately decide "No" to an acceptance and have peace of mind in your final choice.

P.S. Starting a family - it might indicate another need/non traditional student status for you that could even work in your favor.

I agree with 100% of this post. Whatever you decide PT, I'm sure it will work out for you, but that certainly doesn't make the decision easier. As a married student with a child, I can say that firsthand having a family puts a timetable on your future plans. Good luck with whatever you decide to do!

Getting into a Texas school is paramount for me, because as a TX veteran it'll be near free (hazelwood act).

I'm just finishing my associates and beginning the upper levels of my bachelors in the coming year. I feel very focused to make A's in ochem 1 & 2, bio, etc but one can't help but feel the pressure of competition among my highly intelligent and equally ambitious peers. There's what, like 270 seats in Texas and over 900 applicants?

I just want to come across as completely qualified when interviewed so I can mention "as a TX veteran, tuition is not a worry for me..."

As much as I'd like to finish ugrad with a 4.0 and a 30 DAT, i know it's incredibly difficult and unrealistic.

Ouch, that hurts considering I have been working up to this point for the past 5 years while working (off & on). If I was single, then there would be no question about reapplying but doc toothache, things change when your decisions do not just affect yourself. Time becomes more valuable when you get older. Plus, if accepted to any schools, I would have to away from my wife (and future family). Sometimes you need to make sacrifices. My wife and I are not dependent upon my career choice...I could be stay-at-home dad if I wanted LOL...but I need something to intellectually stimulate me. B/c UofT is in my backyard, I looking into alternative options (eg. PhD in Biochem). I am not out of the game yet. I have made no decisions yet. I am taking this month to decide if to apply or not. If not, I will most likely take the year and add some things to the app and think about the 2010 entering class. Right now, I am just going to enjoy my time with my wife without running around like chicken with its head cut off for another year! In the end, my career will not define me...rather just something to fill the time and provide a service to my community.

Reactions: 1 user
Ouch, that hurts considering I have been working up to this point for the past 5 years while working (off & on). If I was single, then there would be no question about reapplying but doc toothache, things change when your decisions do not just affect yourself. Time becomes more valuable when you get older. Plus, if accepted to any schools, I would have to away from my wife (and future family). Sometimes you need to make sacrifices. My wife and I are not dependent upon my career choice...I could be stay-at-home dad if I wanted LOL...but I need something to intellectually stimulate me. B/c UofT is in my backyard, I looking into alternative options (eg. PhD in Biochem). I am not out of the game yet. I have made no decisions yet. I am taking this month to decide if to apply or not. If not, I will most likely take the year and add some things to the app and think about the 2010 entering class. Right now, I am just going to enjoy my time with my wife without running around like chicken with its head cut off for another year! In the end, my career will not define me...rather just something to fill the time and provide a service to my community.

You, sir, have character.

Amen. I'm already pumped about the next cycle!

for all those planning to enter the next cycle, are you planning to take the DAT's again? Just curious...I know Baylor likes an updated DAT but what about UTDB or SA? I guess I can check with admin just in case.

for all those planning to enter the next cycle, are you planning to take the DAT's again? Just curious...I know Baylor likes an updated DAT but what about UTDB or SA? I guess I can check with admin just in case.

You mean <5 years old? (Baylor 01/01/2005; UTSA 5/01/2005: UTDB 12/01/2005)

How many times have you taken the DAT so far? Do you think you will do better if you take it one more time??

I guess I was wrong that schools preferred an updated DAT during the year of applying. My scores were the same the 2nd go around. But based on doc's response I don't have to worry about another DAT exam.

This is my second attempt and I currently don't know if I will try a third as my app will not be significantly different the 3rd time around. I already know I won't apply to Baylor if I do try one more time around as they already told me my courses are basically too old. So this leaves me with only Houston and SA. On a side note, if you did nothing major during the past year waiting to hear from schools, would you re-apply or take a year off and try to improve your app...just a thought...and good luck to those still waiting...

I guess I was wrong that schools preferred an updated DAT during the year of applying. My scores were the same the 2nd go around. But based on doc's response I don't have to worry about another DAT exam.

If you(we) are applying for next cycle you should show something different from this cycle for improving your application. you got very quick rejection from Houston after interview. San antonio and Baylor didn't give you interview.
IMO. call the Houston and san antonio and ask them what was wrong with your application( you already know about Baylor). then try to improve your weak points. I think it is not bad idea showing them how serious you are about dentistry. (I know your situation is different from other applicants).
you already have missed the spring semester but it is not bad idea taking at least 12 hours Upper division Biology course in summer and pass them with high grade before submitting your application.

In another Thread "doc toothache" expalined very important point.
Dental schools want to make sure you really know what you want. because you are changing from very high demand carrier to dentistry and they want to make sure it won't be happen in the future.

IMO. after passing first step the second point comes to dental school's cosidration:
they want to see all of thier students will graduate on time! and they want some evidence for that.

IMO, with taking upper level division courses like Biochemistry, Histology, .....
you will aim both above targets.

again I know how hard it is for you and your family but maybe few months hardship will be worth it.
wish the best and good luck :thumbup:

Last edited:
Someone has mentioned earlier here that UTDB will start on making their waitlist at the end of march, since they are off this week, does it mean that theie classes are filled and they will start making their waitlist starting mon march 23?? :mad:

Someone has mentioned earlier here that UTDB will start on making their waitlist at the end of march, since they are off this week, does it mean that theie classes are filled and they will start making their waitlist starting mon march 23?? :mad:

Doubt its full. Odds are they will make all offers by the end of this month and then a waitlsit in early April.

call ftw

Does anyone have any apartment/housing advice for San Antonio? I am pretty unfamiliar with the area and have just looked at apartments online...Thanks!

Does anyone have any apartment/housing advice for San Antonio? I am pretty unfamiliar with the area and have just looked at apartments online...Thanks!

Congrats Man! I figured you would get in somewhere :thumbup:

If you join the facebook group there has already been a lot of talk about places to live, people looking for roommates, etc.

has anbody tried calling student affairs at UTDB? and if so, how did they treat you and what did they say regarding application statuses

has anbody tried calling student affairs at UTDB? and if so, how did they treat you and what did they say regarding application statuses

i didnt have an interview there so im not going to call them but you should definitely give them a call or send them some emails.

many times you will have very useful information (for SA, i was able to find out how many seats were left for 3rd round - although i was not the lucky person to get that seat, it definitely made it more clear for me) and you dont have to be all worried and curious about the admission status any longer. And it actually helps them to remember you too especially if you write them emails

i will not say it will directly help you to get into the dental school by letting them know who you are, but it will definitely help me in my re-applying cycle since some of the staff already knows me and have been helping me with next year's cycle and how to improve myself, etc.

Thanks Lyphiewok. I called UTDB Student Affairs and the lady on the phone transferred my call to an unidentified voice mailbox so I emailed Celeste Rivera instead. It usually takes 2 weeks for them to reply to emails which should be about the time they have made their waitlist, accept, reject decisions. oh well i tried. :mad:

Thanks Lyphiewok. I called UTDB Student Affairs and the lady on the phone transferred my call to an unidentified voice mailbox so I emailed Celeste Rivera instead. It usually takes 2 weeks for them to reply to emails which should be about the time they have made their waitlist, accept, reject decisions. oh well i tried. :mad:

Hey presjc2, let us know if you hear anything. I think the school maybe on spring break, not sure if this applies to staff as well. If it does, we might not hear anything till next week. I hate this waiting, it is really really annoying.:mad:

Hey presjc2, let us know if you hear anything. I think the school maybe on spring break, not sure if this applies to staff as well. If it does, we might not hear anything till next week. I hate this waiting, it is really really annoying.:mad:

What worries me the most is that there are a lot of us with 3.3~3.5 GPAs and 19-20 DAT scores waiting on UTDB. Good luck everyone soon or later we will find out where we are as far as our admission status will go...

a somewhat off topic question: how many volunteer hours did u yall put down for the application? I got feedback on my hours being low :(

For what it's worth.

Email sent out this morning to 82 students from the UTDB class of 2013 pertaining to summer research opportunities.

I don't remember what specifically the magic number was, but figured the 2013 class is either full or just about full @ 82.

For what it's worth.

Email sent out this morning to 82 students from the UTDB class of 2013 pertaining to summer research opportunities.

I don't remember what specifically the magic number was, but figured the 2013 class is either full or just about full @ 82.

I received the same e-mail but it was actually sent to 84 students. I believe the class size is also 84.