2009 Non-Trad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow - it's a big day! Student is at her Mount Sinai interview (fingers crossed and good vibes being sent toward NYC! :xf:), and I found out a few pieces of news:

a) OHSU INTERVIEW!!!! :banana: (Wepio - woo-hoo for us! Maybe I'll see ya there! When are you going?) Anyway, I am SOOO excited about this one! And my husband is excited x 10, is coming with me, and is currently reseaching what firms he's going to drop his resume at. (nothing like putting the cart before the horse, huh? :rolleyes: But it's cute and it's all good :D.) And hey, if nothing else, we get a nice little West Coast vacation out of this, so we're excited even just for that (we don't get out much - it's amazing what the Midwest will do to you!)

b) Louisville has made a decision on my file. EEEEK! :eek: I love that they torture you with the knowledge that they have, in fact, decided your fate and the letter is in the mail (except that it's probably not actually in the mail yet, and I probably won't have any actual news until late next week . . . or later. ACK!)

c) Rejection from the University of Cincinnati. Sigh. I had a feeling that was the case, but that's one of the few that hurts (SLU rejected me last week - that one hurt a little too, especially as I could literally walk there from our new place!)

Also, it's totally ironic that last night my husband and I were walking through Home Depot talking about how we wished I would hear something from schools/maybe get another interview, and there was one waiting in my inbox (and I didn't even know it until this morning)! Not to mention, I was so glum yesterday evening becuase I got a "well, we're officially done interviewing, but we're gonna keep your app on file a little longer . . . just in case we change our minds" e-mail from GWU. It was nice and all and kind of flattering in a way, but I had really gotten my hopes up with that one (people had been rejected en masse last week, and I wasn't one of them.) Anyway, this invite was exactly the sort of mood-booster I needed. Hooray! :D

Members don't see this ad.

OHSU INTERVIEW!!!!
AWESOME--I AM SO STOKED FOR YOU!!:cool:
I knew you'd get at least one more before all is said and done; I thought it might be GW, but OHSU is a terrific school too. I'm so proud of you, because you really deserved this!:claps:

Louisville has made a decision on my file. EEEEK! :eek: I love that they torture you with the knowledge that they have, in fact, decided your fate and the letter is in the mail (except that it's probably not actually in the mail yet, and I probably won't have any actual news until late next week . . . or later. ACK!)
Good luck: I've got EVERYTHING crossed (including my eyes ...).:xf::xf::xf:

Rejection from the University of Cincinnati. Sigh. I had a feeling that was the case, but that's one of the few that hurts (SLU rejected me last week - that one hurt a little too, especially as I could literally walk there from our new place!)
Bummer. I sympathize.:(

Student is at her Mount Sinai interview (fingers crossed and good vibes being sent toward NYC! :xf:)
Thanks for the good vibes, from you and everyone else here. I was so keyed up over this that I hardly slept the night before (3 hours, tops), but I caffeinated myself to a fare-thee-well and managed to stay awake and perky.

The school is unbelievably awesome, of course, and everyone there seemed INCREDIBLY nice, including my interviewers, a surgeon and a radiologist. The surgeon said as soon as we sat down, "I really liked your application. You've shown a lot of perseverance in your life, including taking the MCAT three times. Your recommendations mentioned perserverance also." Later on, he said, "I think you really belong at a place like Mount Sinai." The radiologist was very positive also.

Coming out of there, I thought it had gone extremely well. I wasn't sure exactly how much the interview counted vs. other factors, but earlier that day, when someone asked the dean of students this question, he said the interview was "huge." But I found out that I was interviewing at the very, very end (the next-to-last day), so there are probably quite a few people competing for what might be only a couple of spots left in the class. So I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much.

They said we would hear within two weeks, which will be the longest two weeks of my life. Keep those good luck vibes coming!! :xf::xf:

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! Student - you are so sweet! I really appreciate your kind and thoughtful response, especially when you had big stuff to tell us about too.

Speaking of, HOORAY!! :clap::soexcited::highfive: I am SO PUMPED to hear that your interviews went well. Your interviewer's comments sound right on and wonderfully positive. I will DEFINITELY be keeping everything crossed for you because if there's anyone who deserves a huge acceptance like this, it's you (and if there is any sense of "right" in this crazy application process, you'll get it!)

V. nice that you'll hear w/in two weeks . . . but somehow, I think that makes it even harder. :scared: Here's to hoping/wishing/praying the good folks at Mount Sinai will make a great decision! :xf::xf::luck::luck:

a) OHSU INTERVIEW!!!! :banana: (Wepio - woo-hoo for us! Maybe I'll see ya there! When are you going?)

Portland is so freakin' awesome. I loved every aspect of that city when i used to live there and really hope this works out -- you will love it too, I'm that sure of it.

My mom was so cute when she found out and kept ranting forever about how thankful she is that OHSU finally pulled through (after what appears to be a miracle update to my CV) and that I have a shot at studying medicine at home. I told her that I am not studying medicine any where yet :)xf: should find out next week from my Creighton interview), and to not jinx it or anything.

Regarding the interview date, I just spoke with Katy today and scheduled it for the 1st so maybe we might run into each other. What state are you apply from, if you don't mind my asking?

Last edited:
The school is unbelievably awesome, of course, and everyone there seemed INCREDIBLY nice, including my interviewers, a surgeon and a radiologist. The surgeon said as soon as we sat down, "I really liked your application. You've shown a lot of perseverance in your life, including taking the MCAT three times. Your recommendations mentioned perserverance also." Later on, he said, "I think you really belong at a place like Mount Sinai." The radiologist was very positive also.

This is what happened to me at U Wisconsin... I'm betting you don't need it, and I fully expect you to get in, but just in case:

:luck::luck::luck::xf::xf::xf::xf::luck::luck: :)

They said we would hear within two weeks, which will be the longest two weeks of my life. Keep those good luck vibes coming!! :xf::xf:

I'm so glad it went well!!! I'd suggest getting a massive dose of tranquilizers and sleeping through the next 10 days. :D

I'm so glad it went well!!! I'd suggest getting a massive dose of tranquilizers and sleeping through the next 10 days. :D

That reminds me of "Comadose," a fake cold remedy advertised on SNL. It puts you to sleep for the whole winter, so you can't possibly catch a cold.

As a non-trad. I figured I'd let everyone know that I was accepted to KCOM (Osteo. school in MO). I was pulled off of the waitlist just the other day, and they're sweetening the deal with some scholarships. I'm pretty pumped, but still waiting to hear back from Univ. of KY.

It's a load off my shoulders having an acceptance, but here's hoping I get some good news from KY! Good luck everyone!

As a non-trad. I figured I'd let everyone know that I was accepted to KCOM (Osteo. school in MO). I was pulled off of the waitlist just the other day, and they're sweetening the deal with some scholarships. I'm pretty pumped, but still waiting to hear back from Univ. of KY.

It's a load off my shoulders having an acceptance, but here's hoping I get some good news from KY! Good luck everyone!

Congratulations on KCOM, and good luck with UK! You should post your acceptance on the acceptance thread also. I'm really proud of how well the nontrads are doing this year.

Last edited:
Hey, fellow non-trads. I'm 31 myself, and getting married soon.
I'm considering PA schools instead of med schools because of the easier pre-reqs (GRE instead of MCAT, and fewer science courses) and the shorter path to getting out there and practicing.
Anyone else in the nontrad pool consider this option?
What do you think?

I'm considering PA schools instead of med schools because of the easier pre-reqs (GRE instead of MCAT, and fewer science courses) and the shorter path to getting out there and practicing.
What do you think?

Hi, congrats on the wedding. :) You might want to post this on the main page so that more people see it.

AFAIK, PA pre-reqs were more extensive than the pre-med track, and you also require a signigicant number of clinical hours before applying. Maybe it varies by school, but friends of mine who have applied to PA schools needed anatomy/physio, biochem, and a couple of others, plus 1000 clinical hours. I'm no expert though.

What do you think?

I did consider PA school, especially since it took me 3x to get into a Medical Program. I think PA programs fill a good niche and allow a great future for those who wish to pursue it. For me, however, my dream was to become a doctor so I eventually chose not to apply to PA programs. So, for me, it was a non-starter. FYI, I will be starting school at the age of 31 (HOLY CRAP!)

Do you have much exposure to PAs? I would talk to a few, or shadow. Figure out if one, the other, or both careers could work for you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Happy St. Patrick's Day, nontrads! Here's to hoping the luck o' the Irish comes our way (for those who need it, that is!)! :luck:

Regarding the interview date, I just spoke with Katy today and scheduled it for the 1st so maybe we might run into each other. What state are you apply from, if you don't mind my asking?

Shucks - I'll be there on the 9th (Believe me, I would have loved to snag one of those dates in the previous week, but I have a major meeting at work that week. :() I'm applying from Missouri, FYI . . . and am quite excited to get out of the Midwest for a long weekend!

Random realizations: April 8th, the day my husband and I will be flying out to Portland is the 9th anniversary of our first kiss . . . and weirdly enough, it'll be our first flight together! (honeymoon was a driving trip) We've managed to fly all around the planet during those years, including meeting each other in various locales . . . but never on the same flight! How bizarre! Maybe the stars will be aligned for a great interview in Portland! :idea:

I was accepted as a transfer student to Univ. of Texas San Antonio (undergrad). Getting out of the military and working on dental school pre-reqs and a biology degree. I can hardly believe it, getting that acceptance letter after 4 years of military is a good feeling. I've stared out of a lot of windows thinking if I made the right decision.

I was initially rejected then I received a housing application email and was thinking "what the... " so I checked my app status. It changed to "Admitted". Here's to the next 6-8 years of college being free

Dear CultureDoc:

I am pleased to inform you that the Committee on Admissions considered your application and accepted you to the Fall 2009 entering class . . .

OMG!!! THIS IS REALLY HAPPENING!

So, funny story: I've been (im)patiently waiting for my letter from Louisville for a week now. Meanwhile, yesterday I got one of those typical recruiting e-mails from the army . . . except that it wasn't typical because the title was "Congratulations on your acceptance to the University of Louisville Medical School!" I figured that this was probably a good sign :rolleyes:, but just in case there was some gross error in processing, army screw-up, etc., my husband and I decided we had to reserve our excitement until the official letter came (which was NOT yesterday, even though the army e-mail came yesterday morning! :eek:). So, he got the mail at home today, immediately called me and said the letter had come and he was going to drive it up to my office. I met him in the parking lot, letter-opener in hand, carefully opened my letter, read the "I am pleased" part, and promptly started screaming and jumping up and down!! :laugh: And then we had a picnic lunch in the park and life has been absolutely beautiful since. :D The End. (But really, the beginning! ;))

Thanks go out to everyone on here for all the support you've shown me! This year would have been absolutely terrifying/miserable/horrific without all of you and your inspirational stories, which have absolutely cheered me up when this process was getting me down. And lots of luck still goes out to all of us - for more acceptances, med school, and beyond! :luck: Go nontrads! :D (Can you tell I'm in a good mood?! :laugh:)

I was accepted as a transfer student to Univ. of Texas San Antonio (undergrad) . . .Here's to the next 6-8 years of college being free

Wow, congrats! That is certainly the way to do it - no debt now = less stress about your dental school decisions later! :luck:

P.S. - You almost had me fooled, breeak/Lacheln! (There's a new kid on the block!) I'm diggin' the change, though (and ready to join you in doing cartwheels on a hillside). :)

:biglove:what an amazing day: first CremasterFlash gets into every med school in America (including some he probably hasn't even applied to :)), and then you get good news from Louisville. (Louisville--the place with the nasty truncated interview! Whodathunkit.)

CONGRATULATIONS, BABE!Welcome to the class of 2013, where you can start worrying about things like anatomy and clinical rotations instead of getting into med school. And, God willing, Mizzou will come through for you too, and you'll actually have the high-class problem of choosing between the two. (Wouldn't that be nice?)

Well, there's little more to be said, except this: You and I, the semi-official prodigal children of the nontrad applicants group of 2009, have both been admitted to the fold. That proves that there's hope for us all.:D

P.S. Almost forgot about OHSU--GL there too.:luck:

Dear CultureDoc:

I am pleased to inform you that the Committee on Admissions considered your application and accepted you to the Fall 2009 entering class . . .

So, funny story: I've been (im)patiently waiting for my letter from Louisville for a week now. Meanwhile, yesterday I got one of those typical recruiting e-mails from the army . . . except that it wasn't typical because the title was "Congratulations on your acceptance to the University of Louisville Medical School!" I figured that this was probably a good sign :rolleyes:, but just in case there was some gross error in processing, army screw-up, etc., my husband and I decided we had to reserve our excitement until the official letter came (which was NOT yesterday, even though the army e-mail came yesterday morning! :eek:). So, he got the mail at home today, immediately called me and said the letter had come and he was going to drive it up to my office. I met him in the parking lot, letter-opener in hand, carefully opened my letter, read the "I am pleased" part, and promptly started screaming and jumping up and down!! :laugh: And then we had a picnic lunch in the park and life has been absolutely beautiful since. :D The End. (But really, the beginning! ;))

Thanks go out to everyone on here for all the support you've shown me! This year would have been absolutely terrifying/miserable/horrific without all of you and your inspirational stories, which have absolutely cheered me up when this process was getting me down. And lots of luck still goes out to all of us - for more acceptances, med school, and beyond! :luck: Go nontrads! :D (Can you tell I'm in a good mood?! :laugh:)

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!! That is SO cool!!!!! :D :thumbup:

Yay Culture!! That was an adorable story. :) And yes, come join me in the hills, we can yodel our good fortune to the world. ;-p

Thanks, guys! It's nice to join the Class of 2013 club. :D

Fogie - congrats on your NEOUCOM acceptance, btw! I believe that means you've now been admitted everywhere you interviewed - WOW!

first CremasterFlash gets into every med school in America (including some he probably hasn't even applied to :)),
No kidding! Congrats, Cremaster!! :thumbup: Now, how the heck are you going to choose where to go?!?!? :p

(Louisville--the place with the nasty truncated interview! Whodathunkit.)
I know, right?! I kinda walked out of there thinking I might be lucky to get a waitlist spot! Apparently the second guy was just testing me, and I passed . . . or something! At this point, who cares! :laugh:

You and I, the semi-official prodigal children of the nontrad applicants group of 2009, have both been admitted to the fold. That proves that there's hope for us all.:D

Holy moly, I couldn't have said it better myself! I have definitely felt like quite the black sheep here. Almost enough to start some kind of "Don't EVER do this, but if it's too late and you need some inspiration, look at all the things I did wrong and I still got in" thread. Let's see . . . applying late? check; taking on too much and getting some crappy post-bacc grades? check; taking the MCAT 3 times and actually doing worse the 3rd time? check. I could definitely go on. I think it may be a miracle that I came out with 3 interviews this cycle! :laugh:

However, all of that is now water under the bridge, and I am so psyched to kick some ace in med school! :woot:

Man, I get really happy when I read about how well things are going for you guys. This process is so difficult and stressful and overwhelming, it's really a wonderful thing to know that at least the system seems to mostly work and that there will be physicians like you guys out there.

As for me, I'm really grateful to everyone who has put up with my cluelessness over the past 3.5 years on SDN. I had just started taking science classes when I found SDN (at the age of 35, no less) and I really can't even count the number of ways the advice here has helped me. In particular QofQuimica. In the unlikely event that I ever get to buy you a drink, it will be a big one.

To answer your guys' question, I'm heading to Yale U in the fall, assuming that my incredibly supportive wife doesn't absolutely hate New Haven when we visit in a couple weeks.

Congratulations CultureDoc!! Its the perservance of you and all the other accepted non-trads that gives the rest of us hope.

Congrats again! The only question is how will you be able to focus at work on Monday? :)

To answer your guys' question, I'm heading to Yale U in the fall, assuming that my incredibly supportive wife doesn't absolutely hate New Haven when we visit in a couple weeks.

Awesome! What a great opportunity - I am so excited for you! :woot:

Congratulations CultureDoc!! Its the perservance of you and all the other accepted non-trads that gives the rest of us hope.

Congrats again! The only question is how will you be able to focus at work on Monday? :)

:laugh: Thankfully I had the weekend to help me come down from cloud 9. :cool: Thanks for the well-wishes. :D

Waitlisted at GW. Godammit.

UGH! What a major bummer. I'm sorry to hear it. Hopefully Mt. Sinai will come through for you, and it won't matter at all! :xf::luck::xf: You should hear back this week, right? I'm far more nervous for you than I was to get my letter from Louisville!

Cremaster, congrats on Yale - I had a feeling you were going to own it. :):thumbup:

Student1799 - :( Stupid GW, but after you get Mt Sinai it'll be the last thing you care about.

I got waitlisted at Yale. I am bummed, but for the most part I've been very preoccupied with non-SDN things since last week (one of my kitties is v. sick), so haven't really thought about it too much...which is probably good - I was more bummed than I expected. It'll pass...I'm still in love with UMass.

Odd though - I asked one of my most trusted advisers yesterday where she thinks if I should go if I did happen to get into BU, and she said BU (finances aside). It really gave me pause, so now I'm anxiously awaiting BU decisions (should be the end of the week).

Oh boy it'll be nice when this is ALL over.

Waitlisted at Buffalo.

Am I cursed???

Well, I've been rejected from all of the schools to which I applied except one: a state school that really has been my best shot all along. I emailed the admissions office to see if I'm still under consideration just to see if my wife and I should keep our hopes up or start preparing for round 2. Fingers crossed. Either way, we kinda just want to find out so we can start doing something.

The waiting is really hard! Keeping my fingers crossed for you, Chodan.

I got waitlisted at Yale. I am bummed, but for the most part I've been very preoccupied with non-SDN things since last week (one of my kitties is v. sick), so haven't really thought about it too much...which is probably good - I was more bummed than I expected. It'll pass...I'm still in love with UMass.

Odd though - I asked one of my most trusted advisers yesterday where she thinks if I should go if I did happen to get into BU, and she said BU (finances aside). It really gave me pause, so now I'm anxiously awaiting BU decisions (should be the end of the week).

Oh boy it'll be nice when this is ALL over.

Bummer about Yale. I'm not sure how their waitlist works, but good luck there. You never know - I don't think Phoenix. thought she'd get off of the Mayo waitlist last year (v. little movement), but she did, so fingers crossed for you and Yale! :xf:

And I certainly hope your kitty gets better soon. Having a sick animal is absolutely nerve-wracking, heart-breaking, and horrible :( - you feel so helpless (God help me when I have a sick child someday!).

Also, good luck with BU! :luck: It might be a tough decision, but it's certainly nice to be in the position to have to make that kind of decision!

Waitlisted at Buffalo.

Am I cursed???

Ugh. :thumbdown: Actually, I wasn't sure if you went to your Buffalo interview, given your RFU acceptance. To answer your question, though: no, you're not cursed - they're all just trying to make your MSSM acceptance that much sweeter when it comes around. :xf::luck::xf: (and seriously, shouldn't that be like today? I keep checking back here to see if you've heard from them . . . it's killing me!)

Well, I've been rejected from all of the schools to which I applied except one: a state school that really has been my best shot all along. I emailed the admissions office to see if I'm still under consideration just to see if my wife and I should keep our hopes up or start preparing for round 2. Fingers crossed. Either way, we kinda just want to find out so we can start doing something.

:( I know the feeling well. I was sitting in your position this time last year. I certainly hope you still have a shot with your state school. If not, definitely call the schools you applied to and try to schedule some time to get advice on your application and what to focus on for your re-application. Not all schools will do this, but if you indicate interest in reapplying, many will offer some pointers. :luck:

they're all just trying to make your MSSM acceptance that much sweeter when it comes around. :xf::luck::xf: (and seriously, shouldn't that be like today? I keep checking back here to see if you've heard from them . . . it's killing me!)

I should hear tomorrow. Judging by their past pattern, the adcom meets on Wednesdays and they announce decisions on Fridays. The funny thing is that I'm going to be over there tomorrow, because I have a patient in my clinical research study. I could very well be in surgery when the word comes down.

Oh God, I really really need this to go my way ... please ...

I should hear tomorrow. Judging by their past pattern, the adcom meets on Wednesdays and they announce decisions on Fridays. The funny thing is that I'm going to be over there tomorrow, because I have a patient in my clinical research study. I could very well be in surgery when the word comes down.

Oh God, I really really need this to go my way ... please ...

Eeeek! :scared: I think SDN needs a nail-biting smiley. :idea:

Maybe you being there today will help align the cosmic forces in your favor! I also have to tell you that I was watching Sex and the City on TBS last night, and it was the episode where Miranda has her baby . . . and she goes to Mt. Sinai! I thought of you and thought "ooh, it's a sign!" :D (I'm such a cheeseball!)
Anyway, GOOD LUCK! :luck:

No word today. Doesn't look like anyone else heard either. I wonder what's holding them up.

Ugh! How annoying! I'll be checking back on Monday - I certainly hope they'll have good news for you then! :xf:

Culture, congrats on Louisville. That's a beautiful thing -- inspiring. Student, I'm praying for the Sinai thing for you. Rock on, non-trads.

Woot! Got into BU today. :D Finaid is going to be a big part of my decision, and I'm skeptical that BU will compete with UMass, but I'm so happy to at least get a chance to see - really liked the school and would love to stay in town.

Thanks guys. :)

Student, you're waiting till Fri probably, right?

Nontrad, is the alternate like a high-priority waitlist?

I'm searching through threads, and cannot find an answer, so I hope this is not a redundant question, but............ Can anyone who has interviewed at Rosalind Franklin tell me the questions they ask at the interview? HELP!