2009-2010 Johns Hopkins Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For the areas of medicine question, is it okay to write about a field you haven't done any work in or shadowed doctors in?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Photograph and perhaps the fact that they keep paper folders for everyone and do not want to print each app out? Iono..

we have to attach a photo to the paper secondary?

edit: nevermind i see it in the pdf

Last edited:
My 3rd LOR isn't showing up on the PDF? It's saved when I look at my application...

I'm having a similar problem and contacted tech support. Still waiting to hear back...

I have finished this secondary but am too afraid to submit, not sure if my essays fit the prompts. I have got them proof-read but the people whose help I took just read for grammar and flow, they do not know much about how medical schools review this. Any suggestions?

I have finished this secondary but am too afraid to submit, not sure if my essays fit the prompts. I have got them proof-read but the people whose help I took just read for grammar and flow, they do not know much about how medical schools review this. Any suggestions?

Deep breath. Press submit. You'll be fine. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm having a similar problem and contacted tech support. Still waiting to hear back...
UPDATE: For those of you who are experiencing problems with the PDF version of the app differing from the online app, tech support responded to me and said what you see on the ONLINE application is what the school sees. When you print out the PDF, fill in the information that is missing (in most cases, the third LOR info spaces) and submit that way and they will understand.

Hope this helps!

Is anyone else a permanent resident ? Are you putting you alien number for where it asks for visa number or just leaving it blank ?

Thanks

I put my A# on that section. I don't know what it means to attach the copy of visa as pdf so i think i'm just going to mail the copy of my green card. i'm feeling very annoyed how jhu makes us retype all of our activities....

The Visa is specifically meant for students on an educational visa such as F-1.

UPDATE: For those of you who are experiencing problems with the PDF version of the app differing from the online app, tech support responded to me and said what you see on the ONLINE application is what the school sees. When you print out the PDF, fill in the information that is missing (in most cases, the third LOR info spaces) and submit that way and they will understand.

Hope this helps!

Fill it in how? By hand? Or do they want it typed? Who the hell has a typewriter anymore?

I'm done writing my stuff but I'm not sure if I should submit before getting invited..

Just want to confirm that the If Applicable/Majority question is for URM. Is this true? Or does this apply to anyone not caucasian? haha

Just want to confirm that the If Applicable/Majority question is for URM. Is this true? Or does this apply to anyone not caucasian? haha

It applies to anyone who hasn't been in the majority at some point in their life. I'm white and I wrote it. It just wasn't about race.

It applies to anyone who hasn't been in the majority at some point in their life. I'm white and I wrote it. It just wasn't about race.

Ah, gotcha, thanks. My friend will be delighted to know they are not done with that secondary yet, lol.

They said to print a copy of the application after submission but I don't see any link to get this pdf version. I did manage to save the copy prior to submission but that does not have the final details of submission filled in at the bottom. What did everyone else do for it? Is there a link where I can print the most updated version from?

Did anyone get a complete email or know where we can check to see if we are complete? Do we just have to call them and find out? You would think they would do something that would be a little easier on themselves than having everyone call in.....

Did anyone get a complete email or know where we can check to see if we are complete? Do we just have to call them and find out? You would think they would do something that would be a little easier on themselves than having everyone call in.....

Last year they sent an email I believe. But I haven't heard anything yet.

Last year they sent an email I believe. But I haven't heard anything yet.
Ahh, I see. Thanks, good to know that I'm not alone in my anxiety to be complete :D

Just received this email (there was an attachment with more info):

Hello: We are delighted that you have chosen The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine as one of your designated schools on the AMCAS site. Please read carefully the attached letter from James L. Weiss , M.D., Associate Dean and Chair of the Committee on Admission and Hermione M. Hicks, M.P.A., Assistant Dean for Admissions. If you haven’t yet completed the on-line secondary application, this letter contains information regarding that process and other important facts about Hopkins.

Thank you.

Valerie Mazza
Director of Admissions

Just received this email (there was an attachment with more info):

Hello: We are delighted that you have chosen The Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine as one of your designated schools on the AMCAS site. Please read carefully the attached letter from James L. Weiss , M.D., Associate Dean and Chair of the Committee on Admission and Hermione M. Hicks, M.P.A., Assistant Dean for Admissions. If you haven’t yet completed the on-line secondary application, this letter contains information regarding that process and other important facts about Hopkins.

Thank you.

Valerie Mazza
Director of Admissions

I also just received this email...

omg I never knew there actually were people named 'Hermione'

Hey, In the Educational background section, do I fill out mutliple colleges even though I only took physics over the summer at one and spanish in high school at the other

what did you guys put for the academic awards or honors section?

IIRC, it's a fairly common female name in Britain but is rare in the rest of the English-speaking world.

haha I kid I kid, but just thought it was neat. I've never met anyone named Hermione. Therefore, I hope I get an interview here solely for that purpose... oh yeah, and jhu isn't too bad of a school either

So...stories i've heard are from older people who used library books (*chuckle*). Apparently students would tear pages out of the only textbook required for a class (or whatever) just so no one else could read it...anything like that anymore?

They actually do that at my college :oops:.. lol... embarrassed. One Psychology class I took in particular, it had no textbook, but we had to read a lot of review articles (a lot! ~100pg per week), and also some chapters from old textbooks on short-term loan from the library. So yeah, those chapters were actually ripped out, so the prof had to cancel that reading...

I am seriously struggling with this adversity question

edit: do you think I can just write about a challenging situation and how I overcame the obstacles...is that what they are looking for?

I am seriously struggling with this adversity question

edit: do you think I can just write about a challenging situation and how I overcame the obstacles...is that what they are looking for?

I looked up the prompt to see what you are talking about...

Isn't the last question what you saying?

haha I kid I kid, but just thought it was neat. I've never met anyone named Hermione. Therefore, I hope I get an interview here solely for that purpose... oh yeah, and jhu isn't too bad of a school either

Isn't one of the main characters in Harry Potter named Hermoine?

For this question "Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment" is it best to refer to clinical specialties or can I talk about wanting to do medical research?

For this question "Are there any areas of medicine that are of particular interest to you? If so, please comment" is it best to refer to clinical specialties or can I talk about wanting to do medical research?

both seem like reasonable possibilities

i took some classes from a community college during HS, and JHU asks for UG GPA. if i use the amcas gpa, these CC grades get included...so should i just ignore this, and put down my UG GPA from my transcript?

So I finsihed the secondary yesterday and everything is saved and shows up on the online version, but in the pdf version one of my letters of recommendation is missing.

Can I still submit the secondary? Dosn't the application committee look at the online version and the print out is for record keeping?

I can write in the name of my thrid LOR manually with a pen?

I am trying to call the admissions office and get a person to clarify but so far just an answering machine.

Thoughts?

So I finsihed the secondary yesterday and everything is saved and shows up on the online version, but in the pdf version one of my letters of recommendation is missing.

Can I still submit the secondary? Dosn't the application committee look at the online version and the print out is for record keeping?

I can write in the name of my thrid LOR manually with a pen?

I am trying to call the admissions office and get a person to clarify but so far just an answering machine.

Thoughts?

I think we already addressed this. Just write it in.

Status
Not open for further replies.