2008 pathology applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
how's everyone doing? we survived our first full week!

we have specialty sign out and i'm on gyne. been grossing all sorts of gyne cases...of course i'm always asking my seniors how this and that are done so i don't screw up!

and i'm actually on my first weekend call...will be going in a little later for a frozen. believe it or not, i'm glad there is one...cause first weekend call we're on with a senior. it'd be scary if i was on call alone for my first real frozen!

as for step 3, i think i did alright...i hope i did ok! been three weeks, but no results yet. for those who've taken it, how long did it take for them to give you your results? do you get an email with a link to your scores or something?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm on Autopsy call today, hoping my pager doesn't beep!!! I need to go in anyways to day to catch up on the 5 cases I got in the last 2 days.... I basically got nothing the first week and a half, and didn't get why people complained about autopsy... then Thursday came....

hey fellow pgy-1s, wanted to share a book suggestion with ya'll. an upper-level told me about it, and i just got it in from amazon, and i'm very pleased with it thus far. book title is: the practice of surgical pathology, by molavi. isbn: 978-0-387-74485-8.

basically, the book is meant as a true into for path residents. explains a lot of basic terms that get used by attendings and in the bigger surg path texts, covers the basic histo and commonly seen lesions by organ. seems like it'll be well worth the 75 bucks or so it cost. i have no financial stake here, just passing this along. it seems like the kind of thing i'll read as i move to each organ system, and then during the rotations i'll move onto rosai.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey fellow pgy-1s, wanted to share a book suggestion with ya'll. an upper-level told me about it, and i just got it in from amazon, and i'm very pleased with it thus far. book title is: the practice of surgical pathology, by molavi. isbn: 978-0-387-74485-8.

basically, the book is meant as a true into for path residents. explains a lot of basic terms that get used by attendings and in the bigger surg path texts, covers the basic histo and commonly seen lesions by organ. seems like it'll be well worth the 75 bucks or so it cost. i have no financial stake here, just passing this along. it seems like the kind of thing i'll read as i move to each organ system, and then during the rotations i'll move onto rosai.

hey mlw, i think i may actually bite on that. im really needing a core from which to build. when the attendings are spouting off stuff and when i start reading rosai im like wtf

I've also been highly recommending this book to the new first years. Easily readable and higher yield than a standard surg path text for your first couple of months. It would be great to read it before your first surg path rotation.

This book is a nice interface between med school and residency. Its great that something like this has finally been written.

Orientation is over...they gave us the afternoon off to finish any personal business; I'm starting on autopsy for 2 months. PGY-1s, name your rotation -- how's it going?

On Surgpath for one month before I move on to Autopsy for a bit. Going well, still feel like mostly a 3rd wheel but leap in to gross simple things when I can.

Its going well, we have a lot of educational conferences, one of which is super high yield, so I feel like I'm learning a ton of SP even if I'm easing into the grossing bit.

Lifestyle wise, definitely have it good.

DBH

So I read your post and bought the book on your recommendation... If it stinks I will let you know loudly in the form of an internet yell-off.

On Surgpath for one month before I move on to Autopsy for a bit. Going well, still feel like mostly a 3rd wheel but leap in to gross simple things when I can.

Its going well, we have a lot of educational conferences, one of which is super high yield, so I feel like I'm learning a ton of SP even if I'm easing into the grossing bit.

Lifestyle wise, definitely have it good.

DBH

I'm on Autopsy for the next 6 weeks (already 2 weeks in)... we get a conference 1x/day at 8AM... occasional noon conference. I got thrown in alone right away. Luckily there are senior residents around for me to call and pester when I need help. Definitely no one holding my hand here... I'm supposed to be self-sufficient after a few tries. At least the faculty are very understanding when I say, "I have no idea what I'm doing here, please tell me what you think is important for me to know about this case."
As far as hours, it's really hit-or-miss. When I get cases I seem to get 3 at a time, and then I get a week of nothing and I go home at 4:30.

So I read your post and bought the book on your recommendation... If it stinks I will let you know loudly in the form of an internet yell-off.

fair enough. i'm confident any pgy-1 who buys this will, like i have, find it quite valuable. if you like it, feel free to let me know loudly as well. :thumbup: