2008 Interview Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In my opinion, here are the differences btw CCF and Case:

Case - Very nice, down to Earth residents. The chairman, Dr. Nearman, is a very solid guy. Helpful, friendly, and funny. He is well liked and well known, at least in the Midwest(his name was brough up by the chair at Northwestern). The didactics seemed to be pretty good, the faculty are DEFINITELY invested in educating the residents. Most of them are really nice and helpful. University Hospitals is a nice, medium-sized institution. It is big enough to have some space (I hate the tiny feel of community hospitals), but it is not massive like its neighbor down the street. I feel like UH has a very smart group of people, not limited to the Anesthesia dept, who work hard and are friendly. Let's see, what have I left out? The dept takes care of its residents, lots of perks (so say the residents). I know that all of the residents I met while rotating there were very friendly and helpful.

CCF-Has a bad rep from the other Cleveland hospitals (UH and Case Metro). The other two hospitals see it as this massive corporate structure that bought out a lot of local hospitals and is slowly taking over the whole city. When you first see it, it is a bit intimidating. The Clinic is massive. It is also very modern and has some very beautiful hospital areas. In some ways, it does function like a well-oiled machine.

I found the Anesthesia residents at the Clinic to be very friendly. They are a smart group of people, but don't go out of there way to be all snooty like, because they are training at the Cleveland Clinic. They were actually very helpful to me during my rotation there. The Clinic does employ a lot of FMGs as a whole. I don't see this as a bad thing. All of the ones that I met in Internal Med and Anesthesia were very friendly and very, very intelligent. Most, if not all of them, were already physicians back home. In my opinion, they are an essential asset to training. They can help bring the interns up to speed on clinical practice, very quickly. So, basically I love the Clinic also.

I think that both offer excellent clinical training in friendly environments. The Clinic's name will carry you further, if you feel you need that sort of thing. Either way, you will be solidly prepared to be an excellent Anesthesiologist. I do, hate Cleveland, though, and not because of its weather. But that is also a personal decision for you guys to make.

In response to a ? I got about CCF:

Well, the residents do work "a lot," according to them. But the way I saw it, just about all the schools I went to, the residents said they worked a lot. So I started comparing happiness and perks for working hard. The residents I met on my rotation (12+) were all happy. A little tired, but happy. They also appreciated getting paid for working after five pm. That is NOT common practice.

I did my ICU rotation there. Even though they were tired from all of the call, they were all still in good spirits, very friendly to me, and very helpful. That really brought them up on my rank list, despite my hatred of Cleveland.

I know that their intern yr is pretty sweet. Even with the four icu months. Something about not having to take too much call.

Ok. so why do i hate cleve? I am from the South. People here are the rudest people I have ever had to live around. Clev has such a weird social dynamic. They think the city has more going for it than it does, and people tend to be very snooty. On the flip side, the rest of the pop. is very, very poor. This makes for even more strained social dynamics.

The things I do like are that for a medium sized city, there are enough ethnic restaurants (Cambodian, Ethiopian, Japanese, Thai, Greek, etc.). Also, good artists come to perform here, like at the House of Blues, the Agora, the Wolstein center, etc. There are major sports teams here, no matter how much they let you down in the end: Cavs, Indians, and the Browns. There is also the Rock and Roll HOF, the Cleveland Playhouse, and Playhouse Square.

Hope that helps!

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone want to add impressions to the list now that you're matched and you don't have to worry about fallout? Those of us who are starting to think about where to do away rotations and eventually where to apply really appreciate all of your input!

sure, i will play. here is what i really thought and why i ranked them the way i did. CCF, was super impressed and thus number one on my rank list, i am into fellowships and they have fantastic ones. VCU, again, awesome, probably the best moonlighting ($70 per hr past 3pm, thats right, 3 pm, number two. kentucky -- for me, too many didatics, sometimes not strong enough for me to get up an hour earlier, otherwise awesome faculty and residents. mcg -- resident that came to dinner was VERY laissez-faire, others were more positive. one interviewer there asked me if i was worried about going to jail for practicing vet medicine on my OWN horses without a liscense, turned me off (weird response as most places were impressed that i had done epidurals and bier blocks on horses). houston, loved it, hubby vetoed it at the last minute. scott and white - super program, i just personally didn't fit in there, best family oriented program in the country i think. dartmouth - great program, no moonlighting, didn't like NH (COL too high, no good airports, snowed in there for a day) oklahoma - awesome program, hubby didn't like OKC. upmc - didn't like pittsburgh, turned off by a faculty member suggesting that i went to Nova Scotia university. mississippi -- cushy program with cushy intern year, maybe too cushy...?. tulane -- loved new orleans (minus bourbon street) but the program seemed somewhat disorganized. - SLU - poor regional experience but awesome attendings. UTSW - residents said they worked 72 hours per week for at least the first two years with call q4 ruining 3 of the 4 weekends a month with average board pass rates...not the balance between clinical experience and time to read that i was looking for. miami - call q4 for all four years...again, not the balance for me.
but take it all with a grain of salt...the right things for me may not be for you guys... there were people i met on the interview trail who had totally opposite experiences and opinions...

I'll add 2 or 3 until my fingers hurt...

Wayne State
Pros: Private attending group that reminded me of a boys club/ Boiler room environment. Didactics are heavily emphasized. In your CA-3 year, there is an optional research track where you spend 6 months of it just doing research. Very well connected with all the other anesthesia programs. As a Carib grad, this is place to strongly look at for an IMG. Directors are all FMGs. Residents were really happy and said great things about the PD
Cons: Detroit is a dump and is so damn cold. They have an underground tunnel system to connect the various buildings.
Overall: My favorite place I interviewed at but I didn't rank this #1 because I wanted to stay in Brooklyn specifically. If you don't mind Detroit, research and fellowships are huge priorities, this is the place to be.

UMDNJ-Newark
Pros: Hackensack hospital is amazing- reminded me of a hotel with flat screen televisions everywhere. The university hospital seemed to have plenty of trauma and complicated cases.
Cons: The anesthesia office is in this dilapidated building and all the attendings looked morose. Even worse, the residents seemed to have inhaled a little too much sevo- looked really out of it during the interview and at the dinner the night before. One attending was extremely hostile and said my personal statement was not good and he questioned my commitment to anesthesia when in fact I had done 10 weeks of anesthesia electives before even applying.
Overall: disliked this program and almost left it off my ROL. I just couldn't see myself working with these group of people.