2008 Interview Reviews

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
... and only 30%-40% fellowship, which i want to do.

the % of people entering fellowship does not have much to do with a program, and more so with an individual's desire to pursue a fellowship. one could argue that the market now favors those who skip fellowship and start stacking dollars right away. it's been my experience that if you want to do a fellowship, and perform reasonably well in residency, you'll get one, somewhere.

Members don't see this ad.

i agree. and this may be particularly true of texas as the new grad starting salaries i was quoted seemed higher than other places (oklahoma too). seems like the market is pretty good in both those places leading most to go for the immediate cash flow.
again -- totally impartial:
MCG -- put us up in a super cute historic hotel, dinner the night before. all in all seemed like an improving program. the guys from MGH seem to be driven to improve the program. it seemed like the residents were very happy, with the younger residents happier (i think it used to be a very cush program and now hours are more normal). some residents said they averaged 65 hours and others said they were sometimes under 55. i think it depends on rotation...ob seemed like more hours. good pain and regional, no livers, good peds and ob experiences. level one trauma: MVA>GSW. Dr. head told me he is well connected politically and is not hesitant to make phone calls and pull strings for residents wanting a given fellowship or job. one resident told me he would not have gotten his pain fellowship, any maybe not even the interview, without a call from Dr. Head. they used to rank people based on scores, etc. but now if you get the interview they said they want people who want to be there. one of the vice chairs told me he didn't care if you passed by one point or forty...if you have the right attitude and want to come there, they want you. residents get their numbers and then some for most things except hearts where you get your numbers but not too too many more. don't ask don't tell moonlighting in surgery centers at a ca-3 or local ERs. probably not the best place for singles. super cheap cost of living. intern year seemed typical except for that the department will back you up...medicine failed one of their interns and the department told them where to go nicely. forgetting anything?

Mayo Rochester
Lodging: one night paid for at SpringHill suites across the street from St. Mary's where the interview was held. Residents took us out to dinner the night before and the hotel had a great complimentary breakfast spread.

Transportation: drove in but possible to fly into the Twin Cities and take a shuttle or fly directly to Rochester

Interview: Program intro by Dr. Long, PD to start the day (why is Mayo in MN and other compelling questions answered) and then split into two groups for interviews and tour. About 6-8 applicants per interview day which I thought was nice. Three 25min ish interviews with a faculty member/consultant including one with Dr. Long. The tour was long (wear comfortable shoes) and encompassed all the clinical buildings plus the simulation center, library, and exercise center. We went on foot and by bus. We walked on the ground, above ground, and below ground. Lunch was with our resident tour guides in the cafeteria. We were allowed to run free with our meal ticket.

Impressions: The location was the major drawback for me but otherwise I thought the program was amazing. They interviewed more applicants than usual this year because of having a new PD. However the residents assured me that he was the residents' favorite choice of the candidates as Dr. Long was a resident at Mayo himself and a strong advocate. Critical care is a strength with peds and ob being weaknesses because of low volume. The program realizes this and residents have the option of going to Florida for peds and ob rotations (especially popular during the winter months). While Mayo recently opened a children's hospital the volume isn't there yet. Daily lectures with 100% OR relief. Yes there are CRNA's but this does not compromise resident education one bit. With 100 OR's there are more than enough good cases to go around. In fact because this isn't a resident dependent service, the residents are consistently relieved for lectures and at the end of the day. Residents report consistently ending their days at around 3 pm. Most residents are married and many have kids.Residents can buy single family houses and there is no traffic to speak of. The program and the city in general are family friendly. The resident spouses at dinner confirmed this. The women's OR locker room has a private breast pump room for example. The facilities are state of the art with electronic OR records and nifty OR visual paging system licensed from Disney World. There will be a newly expanded pain suite.
While other programs will say: we aren't one of those programs that let you out early every day; you'll get lots of clinical experience from the long hours you spend in the OR. I found Mayo provided the best of both worlds in terms of work hours (time to read at home) and clinical exposure. Their in training exam results are always above the 90th percentile nationally for all 4 years. The staff was warm and friendly enjoying close relationships with the residents. The alumni network is extensive.
Rochester doesn't have night life and might not appeal to singles. There are other residents and also IBM is the other big employer in town (lots of single engineers says my CS friend who did an internship there ;) ).

Members don't see this ad :)
Penn State Hershey
General: Granted, this was my first interview but I was very impressed with this program. Overall, the residents work hard (perhaps a bit more than average), but they seem like a pretty cohesive bunch and, most importantly, they have a solid residency training experience. Resident education seems like a true priority and the PD seemed to be a real resident advocate.

Interview: A two half-day affair (arrive ~noon on the first day, leave ~1 PM the next day). During the first day you meet (as a group) with the chair and PD for introductory/information sessions. Then off to the hotel (provided by program) and restaurant for dinner. The second day consisted of 5 faculty interviews (PD, associate PD, chief resident, other faculty), all pretty low key/stress. Then a tour, lunch w/residents, and wrap-up session w/chair.

Strengths: High case volume, regional, interesting categorical track that is pretty innovative with regards to how traditional intern year rotations are spread throughout the 4 yrs of residency.

Weaknesses: Critical care. No moonlighting. Rural location (IMO).

Drexel
Not much to say here. Pretty average in just about every way (quality, work load, etc...). As with many programs, CT and regional seem like areas to work on. Of note, they are now off probation (3 yr cycle). Only advanced positions. No moonlighting.

Jefferson
General: I liked Jefferson, nice hospital in a nice part of Philly. The program, and the people, seemed pretty well rounded. Far from malignant in terms of training atmosphere (the residents mentioned that they usually get a fair bit of sleep on call, etc...). I think that one could get excellent clinical training here.

Interview: Pretty standard deal w/info session, 3-4 interviews (chair, PD, associate PD, and perhaps one more), tour, lunch w/residents.

Strengths: Regional, pain. Also, they seemed to have some pretty interesting acute pain clinical research going on. Moonlighting allowed.

Weaknesses: CT

Cornell
General: Very solid program. They offer the very nice perk of providing somewhat subsidized housing in a nice part of NYC (upper east side of Manhattan).

Interview: Standard deal of dinner the night before w/residents, information session, 3 interviews (PD, associate PD, another faculty members), lunch w/residents, tour. Low key affair.

Strengths: Regional and pain. They have a great regional experience given their affiliation with the Hospital for Special Surgery and they have a large pain fellowship program, 8 fellows/yr and they seem to like to take their own.

Weaknesses: Trauma, critical care, no transplant. I don't recall if they allow moonlighting or not (I think that they do).

Columbia
General: Excellent program, especially if one is interested in academics/research. The general consensus is that residents here work pretty hard but get great training. Unfortunately, no subsidized housing but they have a pretty generous moonlighting program.

Interview: Dinner the night before w/residents, information session, two faculty interviews, tour, lunch. Low key.

Strengths: Generally strong overall. CT, transplant, critical care.

Weaknesses: Regional

Washington University in St. Louis
General: Very strong program, particularly w/regard to research/academics and critical care. As is apparent from recent posts on this forum, St. Louis can be viewed as a mixed blessing (very reasonable COL, but not the most desirable location for most; personally, I didn't have such a problem with it). This was the first interview where I had the opportunity to meet the chair one on one; Dr. Evers was awesome, very impressive yet down to earth. The residents seem to work pretty hard, but they were a great bunch and I think that they get great training.

Interview: Dinner the night before (hotel provided by program), tour, information session, 3-4 interviews. Very nice people.

Strengths: Generally strong all around, particularly in pain, critical care, CT, transplant, research, peds.

Weaknesses: Honestly can't think of any, perhaps regional?

University of Pennsylvania
General: Awesome program. Strong all around, great people, great opportunities, reasonable work-load. The residents definitely work hard (there aren't many CRNAs), but they seem really well trained.

Interview: Reception the night before (a very nicely done affair that was arranged to promote circulation), 5 interviews (chair, PD, chief resident, 2 other faculty members), tour, information session. Its a relatively minor point, but I love that Dr. Fleisher (chair) came down to the hospital lobby to meet the applicants in the morning and took us up to the Anesthesiology Department offices. He popped in and out throughout the morning and really made an effort to tailor my individual interview with him to my career interests. Things like this, as well as my other interviews (particularly w/Dr. Geisser, the PD), emphasized the importance of resident education and development in this program, and this attitude seems to come from the top down.

Strengths: Pain, peds, critical care, CT, transplant, research/academics. They do allow moonlighting and, in fact, have a structured overtime system in place (w/very generous compensation).

Weaknesses: Regional, but they are working to address this in the near future.

Massachusetts General Hospital
General: Its MGH, its solid: you know it, and they know it. Overall, a hard working program that seems to stress resident development through a fair measure of independence (up to you to decide if you're up for it or not). Very nice people that weren't so hung up on the MGH name. Boston is an awesome city, great public transportation system.

Interview: Cocktail reception followed by dinner. Information session, 3 interviews (2 faculty members, chair), lunch, tour (Ether Dome and all). Very relaxed.

Strengths: CT, critical care, peds, pain.

Weaknesses: Regional? No moonlighting.

Dartmouth
General: Generally solid program, great people. In a beautiful but very secluded location. The really noteworthy thing about this program, apart from the regional program, was how nice/supportive/genuine the faculty and residents seemed (gas people are generally chill, but these folks were just so nice and welcoming...I know, a pretty cheezy gestalt sort of thing...).

Interview: Dinner, information session, 4 interviews (PD, chair of resident selection committee, two other faculty members), lunch, tour.

Strengths: Regional

Weaknesses: Critical care, trauma, transplant

University of Pittsburgh
General: Awesome program. I went into this interview expecting to love it and I wasn't disappointed. Truly probably the most well rounded program I've seen yet. A very nice combination of great resident training and work load. It may not have quite the name cache of some of the other top programs, but I think that (at least in the anesthesia world, and in medicine in general) Pitt is very well respected (am I way off base on this?). Pittsburgh (IMO) offers a nice balance between reasonable COL and city amenities/life. They emphasized that residents are not the primary anesthesia workforce, allowing them to focus on putting residents in cases w/high teaching value.

Interview: Dinner the night before w/residents, hotel provided by program. Long interview day involving tour of their simulation center (WISER), information sessions, 5 interviews (PD, chair of residency selection committee, director of intern year portion of categorical program, 2 other faculty members), lunch, tour, group meeting w/chair. The interviews are pretty laid back but be warned that, at least when I went, they had the interview eval forms in plain sight (looked pretty detailed).

Strengths: Just about everything (seriously). Pain, regional, CT, peds, OB, research/academics. UPMC has a huge critical care presence, but I am not quite sure how to view the relative lack of anesthesia involvement. Moonlighting is available.

Weaknesses: Perhaps location (not so much an issue for me, but it apparently is for some).

UTSW -- Dallas seems like a great city. cheap enough for married with children, fun enough for singles. super solid programs, NO shortage of cases or problems getting numbers -- seemed like they averaged at least double what you need. about 50% go into private practice, 40% do fellowships, 10% stay on as faculty at UTSW. residents say you will be prepared to handle anything when you leave and i believe them - hearts, livers, etc. good regional and pain. schedule for the first two years seemed a little on the more hard working side (intern year is call Q4 for half of it, CA1 year is call Q4 for 8 months)....then things seem to slow down and be less for CA2 and 3 years. you can tailor your CA3 year for research or as many subspeciality months as you want. book stipend is $3500/four years. $1300 for meetings you present at. lots of online lectures, topics of the day are texted daily and recorded on a CD weekly for listening to while working out, driving, etc. seemed to emphasize a modernized system of delivery for lectures working out something with ipods etc. if you pass your boards before you take them for real they will pay for the boards (which is like $3000 so that is a big plus). moonlighting is ob shifts on the weekend, paying about $70/hr. current interim chair, whitten, is in the running for permanent chair along with 5 others. will decide in probably next few months. as per residents, old chair everyone loved had problems with the "tower" -- difference of opinions on how money was spent, etc. and left for BWH. other attendings i met seemed great. forgetting anything....?

How can the Rochester residents go to Florida for ob and peds when Mayo-Jax has to send its residents to Wake Forest for OB and elsewhere for Peds?

Mayo Rochester
Lodging: one night paid for at SpringHill suites across the street from St. Mary's where the interview was held. Residents took us out to dinner the night before and the hotel had a great complimentary breakfast spread.

Transportation: drove in but possible to fly into the Twin Cities and take a shuttle or fly directly to Rochester

Interview: Program intro by Dr. Long, PD to start the day (why is Mayo in MN and other compelling questions answered) and then split into two groups for interviews and tour. About 6-8 applicants per interview day which I thought was nice. Three 25min ish interviews with a faculty member/consultant including one with Dr. Long. The tour was long (wear comfortable shoes) and encompassed all the clinical buildings plus the simulation center, library, and exercise center. We went on foot and by bus. We walked on the ground, above ground, and below ground. Lunch was with our resident tour guides in the cafeteria. We were allowed to run free with our meal ticket.

Impressions: The location was the major drawback for me but otherwise I thought the program was amazing. They interviewed more applicants than usual this year because of having a new PD. However the residents assured me that he was the residents' favorite choice of the candidates as Dr. Long was a resident at Mayo himself and a strong advocate. Critical care is a strength with peds and ob being weaknesses because of low volume. The program realizes this and residents have the option of going to Florida for peds and ob rotations (especially popular during the winter months). While Mayo recently opened a children's hospital the volume isn't there yet. Daily lectures with 100% OR relief. Yes there are CRNA's but this does not compromise resident education one bit. With 100 OR's there are more than enough good cases to go around. In fact because this isn't a resident dependent service, the residents are consistently relieved for lectures and at the end of the day. Residents report consistently ending their days at around 3 pm. Most residents are married and many have kids.Residents can buy single family houses and there is no traffic to speak of. The program and the city in general are family friendly. The resident spouses at dinner confirmed this. The women's OR locker room has a private breast pump room for example. The facilities are state of the art with electronic OR records and nifty OR visual paging system licensed from Disney World. There will be a newly expanded pain suite.
While other programs will say: we aren't one of those programs that let you out early every day; you'll get lots of clinical experience from the long hours you spend in the OR. I found Mayo provided the best of both worlds in terms of work hours (time to read at home) and clinical exposure. Their in training exam results are always above the 90th percentile nationally for all 4 years. The staff was warm and friendly enjoying close relationships with the residents. The alumni network is extensive.
Rochester doesn't have night life and might not appeal to singles. There are other residents and also IBM is the other big employer in town (lots of single engineers says my CS friend who did an internship there ;) ).

I hope Mayo puts their residents up at the Phoenician resort:

48969_ext_01_e_fsa-g.jpg

Thats where I used to study once in a while going to medschool. Wave hi on the way in like you own the place, boom, next thing you know youre sitting poolside.

Tip the cabana dude a 20 spot, and now your drinking pinas at the pool.

My approach to evaluating programs is very gestalt, so I don't remember a lot of details that don't influence my decision making. I'm very focused on pain so my reviews may overemphasize that element. I apologize if my reviews are too short to be useful.

Working my way south...

OHSU

Very ambitious chairman who has made significant changes. Portland is wet. I found the attendings and residents to be particularly friendly. The hotel is awesome and reason enough to accept an interview here. Residents here seemed to all hate the pain guys here, and were fairly negative about their ICU experience as well. Overall I think the training is solid.

UC Davis

Location is not as bad as the Davis name suggests -- they are really in Sacramento. Some interviewees told me they didn't like the PD but I thought he was fine. Personally I think he's put a lot of careful thought into the curriculum. Some inconsistency among the feedback I got from residents regarding the workload, but I think all agreed that it is less work than most. Fishman is a big name in Pain, but given his background the research in this area is different than most.

Stanford

I want to be Dr. Brock-Utne when I grow up! Also liked the chairman; didn't really interact with the PD. Overall I love the attendings here. Great research opportunities. Rigorous but solid training. "We're working on regional and it's getting better." In pain, Gaeta was a cool guy but residents did not think particularly highly of their fellowship, although I did hear anecdotes of very successful graduates.

UCLA

I'm not sure what I think. The only program I'm going to do a 2nd look, because I need more info. My brain says it is an excellent choice; my gut feeling however is not good. Attendings were nice but nothing special. I felt like the PD tended to misinterpret the things I said and the questions I asked. Everyone here thinks the pain fellowship is exceptionally strong, which was a surprise for me because the pain guys at my institution don't have many good things to say about it. Jealousy? Best hospital cafeteria on the West Coast.

Cedars-Sinai

Only chose to interview here out of curiosity. Probably made a bad impression by not knowing that it was a categorical program. My only west coast interview where I saw FMGs interviewing. This program has distinctively strong pros and similarly strong cons. History of the program: Cedars is a private hospital that has been a site for rotations in cardiac and ob for neighboring programs for a long time. Many anesthesiologists were interested in teaching and there was talk of making a residency for a while. The death of Killer King accelerated this process. About 40-50 of the 100+ anesthesiologists chose to become faculty; because there is no research they are all doing this because of their desire to teach (or get cheap labor?). Excellent cases in all areas, and because there are so many more cases going on than anesthesia residents, they do really interesting stuff daily. I loved the private practice vibe, but it sounded to me that residents do get rushed as a result. Probably for the best in the end. Limited resident autonomy for the same reasons, probably not for the best in the end. The attendings here are really cool and have all sorts of things going on in their lives outside the OR (much like the private guys on this forum!). Attendings here are hot shots and very well connected and the residents seem to be landing very good fellowships through these connections. However, attendings (off the record) and rotating med students agree that the current residents from MLK, especially the CA-3s, are very weak. I am concerned that they will lower the reputation of this program for a while although I think that 10 years down the road this will be a very competitive program. I did not like the PD. Very limited research opportunities, obviously. There is talk of a pain fellowship soon. 2 hours of protected didactic time daily! But mainly run by residents without the attendings. I would rather come here than scramble, and I may even rank it above USC. If you have low numbers but are looking for a program in SoCal, I encourage you to check it out. I would love to work here when I finish training.

USC

Liked the chairman. Some attendings seemed defensive when I asked "tough" questions. One interview was particularly bizarre. The only ICU experience you get is with post-op Urology and GynOnc patients. Landing good fellowships from this program seems difficult, but landing a nice private practice job in LA is not a problem. Nice new facility. Would rather come here than scramble.

UCSD

My home program. I think very highly of it. I think it has a culture that you have to see to understand. Less hours than the big names in CA. Weak in peds. Pain is very strong, both in basic science research and clinically (with an emphasis on interventional approaches). San Diego is my favorite city in the United States.

Will share my East Coast experiences once I'm done here.

Plead the fifth reviewed Ar-kansas earlier in thread, here is some added stuff for those who are interested....

UAMS- Interview starts at 1400 and ends at 1800, with dinner afterwards at Mexican restaurant.

Program: Program has about 60 residents, pgy1-4. Also has about 60 attendings if I remember correctly. Program is very strong in Peds (largest ped hospital within 5 hour radius), and has no problems meeting numbers in any category. Neuro is also very strong, for instance, Dr. Gazi Yasargil, father of modern neurosurgery is on staff there. As I can remember, really no weakness in any area…..maybe regional but I can't remember. They have Peds fellowship, but they say fellows don't "steal" cases, as there are way more than enough to go around. In past years residents have gone to MD Anderson, and Harvard for pain. Several go on to peds and CT fellowships, so furthering your career should not be a problem. Most other residents go into private practice.

PGY 1-4: Pretty much the same as everywhere else, ACGME standards. Intern year- 3 surgery (vascular, trauma, CT), 3 medicine months, 1 cardiology, 1 Peds, 1 OBGYN, 1 pulmonary, 1 MICU, and 1 SICU.

Research: Attending gave 15-30 min presentation regarding this matter. It is there if you want it and the amount that you get is up to you. There seems to be plenty of opportunity if that is what you are looking for.

Town: Little Rock has metro population of about 650,000. Has outdoors stuff to offer, i.e. fishing, hunting, watersports. Short and sweet, like most cities this size, Little Rock is about the same as all the others. Livability just comes down to personal preference.

Residency life: Only was able to talk to about 2 residents. I WASN'T ABLE TO GO TO DINNER. The two I talked to seemed happy and both said they would come here again if they had to do it all over. But that's only 2 out of 60, not a very good sample of the population………MORE INFO NEEDED.

Other info: Moonlighting-there if you want it.

Arkansas = didn't go there to interview but met a resident who's husband went there -- she said you are well prepared but it is a work horse program... maxed at 80 more often than not. seems to support other posts on sdn about this program.

Members don't see this ad :)
I posted this in the St. Vincent's thread, but I figure it would serve well here too.

SVCMC in NYC

I interviewed there last week, and this is what was told to me:

The hospital went into bankruptcy but emerged from it last year (2007 or 2006). According to the PD, St. Vincent's acquired some less than stellar hospitals in the surrounding NY area (Bronx, etc) in an attempt to bring them up to par. The project failed and led to bankruptcy. They no longer operate those other hospitals.

Manhattan housing is indeed gone. The housing used to be joined to the hospital, but as part of their emergence from bankruptcy, they sold of the housing. Housing is available in Jersey City, NJ. They are very new, upscale condominiums though. Their website is http://www.grovepointerentals.com/. Rent is subsidized, reducing the cost from $2200 to $1790 a month for residents (for a one bedroom). According to the residents, travel time is approximately 12-16 minutes in the morning via the Path train.

Call ranges from 6-8 calls per month, which sucks in my opinion. The PD (and residents) say that residents leave at 5 PM every day unless on call. If there are pre-ops, you can expect to stay until about 6 PM every day. A typical day runs from 7 AM to 5:30 PM.

You do 3 months of anesthesia beginning your intern year (this program is categorical) with increasing responsibility as each month passes. You're actually added to the regular CA-x call schedule in your last month. In your first month, you take call until 9 PM. You also have to do a month of CCU and MICU.

There is no moonlighting, but a sort of odd way to make additional cash is to start IV's in the holding area as opposed to the OR. The pay is $10 per IV. Average for residents is about $150 - $200 per month. One resident made $600 a month.

As far as residents leaving, the PD said that 6 residents have left over the past 8 years. 2 or 3 were due to drug abuse. One was severely impaired in interpersonal skills. I think the other ones left for family or personal reasons. At least, this is what I was told.

According to the PD, the board certification rate is 96% with only resident failing in the past 5 years.

Pay seemed decent, PGY1 at about $51k.

So take it for what it is worth. They won't be high on my rank list, but not because I don't think I could get good training. Rather, I'm looking for a more family friendly city and program.

If you have specific questions, just ask them in this thread and I'll see if I can remember. I did try to ask a lot of questions and I wasn't able to write everything down so if you ask, it may jog something.

Mayo Rochester

Id like to add the avg hrs/week is 50. mayo's program was AMAZING. easily one of the best programs in the country. the drawback however is the location. I heard most of the bars in the city close around 11pm...not the best place to meet people.

University of Miami

General: Kind of under the radar. I spoke with every attending I encountered in the Northeast and none of them knew anything about the program.

Interview: They are big on the behavioral interview. Expect questions like "what was the most difficult situation you encountered in medical school" and other non traditional questions. Post-interview around 4pm there is a happy-hour with the residents with tons of food and open bar. :D

Strengths: After completing an away rotation there I found out that it is the #1 trauma center in the nation and, with the acquisition of Cedars, is currently the largest hospital in the nation. They train the Army docs to goto Iraq and are the only Lvl 1 trauma center in all of south florida. Wide variety of cases and they easily meet their numbers. Dr Burnbach is the leader in OB-gyn anesthesia and is currently the Vice-Provost for the entire Univ of Miami. It pays big time for the dept of anesthesia to have an anesthesiologist ranking #3 behind the president. The attendings were all very well trained and approachable and there is an incredible sense of comraderie there. maybe 40% go into fellowship and not everyone stays in Miami. Graduates are found all over the country. They lead the nation in the number of Liver transplants, and they do many kidneys and multi-viscerals. Alot of CRNA coverage so you usually get the days you need off. The chairman Dr. Lubarsky is a dynamic individual who came from Duke 6 years ago. In his time there they recruited 70 faculty/scientists from DUKE. Another strength...Miami is a great city to live in.

Weaknesses: No moonlighting. Miami is not the cheapest city, Residents dont own houses, but rather rent. The residents work hours approach 70 hours, pretty busy but all the residents I met were very happy.

Kentucky -- all in all a solid program with no holes: 5 year accreditation, approval to increase number of residents from 10 to 12 this year, 100% board pass rate the past few years. hours per residents 65h/week. didatics mon, tues, thurs at 6. their version of m and m at 630 on wednesday. subspecialty lectures, often the best imho, optional unless on that rotation, at 6 on friday. no fellowships but pain, which filled this year with non-anes residents but this was because the anes resident that wanted pain wanted to go elsewhere. get your numbers in everything and then some but if you feel the need they offer an optional CT rotation in houston where you will far exceed numbers. number system to go home. call very reasonable except OB which is q3 excluding saturday which is a moonlighting opportunity. can also moonlight for friday night shift, which is for those on PACU, pain, etc. and can be assigned moonlighting if there are no volunteers. some graduating residents stay on as faculty. this graduating class: one pain in cincinnati, one hearts ccf, one peds florida, the rest private practice. strong emphasis on learning and education. 100% board pass rate for the past few years and residents scored 90% as a group. residents seem happy -- only negatives as per them: chronic pain, some don't like getting up to have room prepped in time for 6 am lecture. strengths- great residents, great faculty interested in teaching. liver and CT call are from home. lexington will probably appeal more to married people (low COL) than singles but is still a college town (as per residents). interview was a mix of behavioral and conversational. forgetting anything?

i really liked both yale and emory. i'm wondering if the national reputation of yale is much much better? also does yale have FMG'S? what did everyone think of these schools?

i don't know...the parts i saw were nice. the residents did tell us to avoid the south part of town i think.

Most of my family lives in Northern Virginia (I was raised further south) and they all told me that I would not like Richmond, that it wasn't a nice place to live, so I canceled my interview there. My 2 cents worth.

I haven't seen or read a review for:

1) Nebraska

2) Missouri-Columbia

3) Tennessee-Knoxville

I interviewed at Knoxville a couple of weeks ago, so I'll post a quick review here.

Overall, I liked the program more than I thought I would. The residents I met all were happy being there, and there seemed to be a real "family" atmosphere about the program. Attendings all seemed very friendly; all my interviews were basically chatting with the attendings I interviewed with. The hospital is a university hospital in which the attendings are paid like private practice docs, and everyone seems happy with that arrangement.

Residents report no problems getting numbers. They spend a couple of months at Vanderbilt in Nashville for their pediatric anesthesia experience...everyone reports a great experience there.

Weaknesses: If I remember correctly (I don't have all my notes, etc with me at the moment), I think you won't get much transplant experience here.

Overall, a sort of "dark horse" program that isn't talked about much (on SDN at least), but should do a good job of preparing you for a career in private practice anesthesia.

I'll also mention that while I don't know much about Missouri-Columbia, I do know that they're on probation (or were recently on probation); hence, I did not apply there.

Being in California, the theme was "should I leave CA for this program." If you're a competitive applicant in CA, I think the overall message is "probably not."

I thought I liked big cities, but after some time in New York I realized that I don't like all big cities.

Mt. Sinai

Cool people. Number of cases (and thus hours) are increasing. PD swears a lot. Complement him on his desk for brownie points. Offered 20K extra per year if I do a lot of research (does not require extra time, unlike most of these research fellowships). The most impressive moonlighting program I saw. Worth leaving CA for? Not really, but will rank above CA programs I didn't like much.

Cornell

Busy. Nice housing. Call from home instead of a call room is appealing. Hospital for Special Surgery regional experience is a highlight. Newly reorganized pain fellowship seemed pretty good -- certainly better than what Sinai and Columbia have to offer. Worth leaving CA for? Not really, but will rank above CA programs I didn't like much.

Columbia

CA-3 going into pain says: "If you're gung-ho about pain, don't come here." That simplified it for me. For everything else, I think it's a great program. Too bad about the location and lack of housing. Residents: please shut up about Cornell, I want to hear about your program. Worth leaving CA for? Maybe for others, not me.

BID

Very friendly. PM didactics 3 days/wk get you out of your cases at 4:30. The interim chair seemed to get along with the other attendings, but my interview was kind of unpleasant ("what other questions do you have" ad nauseum, kept interrupting me and jumping to conclusions). Other interviews were great. None of their residents are HMS grads -- do they know something, or are they just very ambitious (probably the latter). Worth leaving CA for? Not really, but will rank pretty highly.

MGH

Good gut feeling about this place. I think it just felt like a good fit. Nothing like people told me it would be like. I ran into some residents after the interview day who didn't go to dinner/lunch but they said the same things as those who did. Strong in pretty much everything. Decent hours. Not much didactics, but I hate lectures. Fascinating basic science pain research. Historically weak in cardiac and regional. Changes: reduced number of cardiac fellows from 10 to 4, added off-site ortho rotation. Talked to a UCLA grad who said it was the only East Coast program he ranked over CA programs. I feel I could do the same.

Vanderbilt –
Solid reputation. Very friendly program with happy residents. Faculty seem supportive and attentive to resident concerns. Good call schedule (q 6). Moonlighting available in-house after first year at $75/hr (in-house is important because you’re doing work you already know how to do with people you already know in a place you’re familiar with). Collegial atmosphere (residents – both married and unmarried – seem to enjoy each other’s company outside of work). About ½ are married and ½ are single. Very advanced technology in OR/hospital-wide. Overseas rotations starting next year with faculty. Pain program relatively new. Critical care program is worldwide leader.

Nashville is a mid-sized city that is affordable with a good music scene (not just country). Affordable. Many outdoor activities. Doesn’t get too cold in the winter. No public transportation. More conservative city. In “the south”.

Mayo Clinic –
One of the most storied/prestigious places to train in the world. World-class facilities and what appears to be excellent training. Residents don’t work too hard because there are 200+ CRNAs which aid in the work (the program isn’t “resident-dependent” to get all the work done). Didactics are done daily, with the time being “protected” (again, due to all the help with from the CRNAs). Residents seem extremely happy here. Another benefit is the “Healthy Living Center” which is a brand new (ginormous) health club attached to the facilities that residents can join for practically nothing – if working out is important to you (or your significant other) this is a great asset.

The main drawback (from my perspective) is the location. Rochester is an ideal spot if you’re married (bonus if “with children”) and aren’t looking for much in the way of a city scene. The area is safe and inexpensive with good schools. However, if you’re single or desire anything in the way of restaurants, nightlife, etc, you will likely be sorely disappointed (that being said, Minneapolis/St. Paul are just an hour and a half away). Most residents are married (I was told “one or two residents per class are single”).

UW-Madison –
The program in Madison seems to have a solid base of training, and residents are definitely happy. This is a smaller program, which does have its advantages. One of the things I heard time and time again was how you are given cases based on your ability to handle them (especially earlier on in your training) as opposed to arbitrarily assigning cases by what year you are in your training. This program is especially well known for doing a lot of transplants (either #2 or #3 in the country depending on what year) and for airway management. Since it is a smaller program, you are typically paired with the same attending for multiple days in a row, which residents seemed to like. There is also a lot of opportunity to learn about practice management and OR management during your CA-3 year. The current Program Director is very enthusiastic and seems to be attentive to resident needs. Residents seem to socialize a lot outside of work.

Madison is a great city that is consistently cited in various magazines as one of the “top places to live”. Housing is affordable, there are a lot of outdoor activities (running, biking, etc) as well as all the amenities that a large university has to offer. Lots of restaurants/clubs/etc due to the capitol being there as well.

University of Michigan –
Very large program (24 spots per year – all categorical). PGY-1 year consists of a 2-week “Anesthesia Boot Camp” which is an intensive introduction to the field done in either May or June of your PGY-1 year. CA-1 year has 4 wk “specialty” rotations (OB, ENT, Neuro, Cardiac, etc) to solidify skills in certain areas instead of switching on a day-to-day basis.

Michigan has a very advanced perioperative data system that currently has over 500,000 patients in it. This has made clinical research easier. In addition, their ORs are all computerized. There is a definite emphasis on technology.

Call starts at 11:00 unless you’re a CA-3, and you come in at 15:00. Post-call day is off, and post post-call day is pre-op holding area so you don’t have to spend your post-call day doing pre-ops for the next day’s patients. To facilitate all this call scheduling, there are CRNA’s and there is purportedly an excellent working relationship.

Residents meet regularly with faculty in many settings (grand rounds, lunchtime lectures, etc). The Dept Chair is very involved in resident education. He spoke with us for an hour at 7:00 am on a Saturday, then spent the rest of the morning interviewing. He even showed up for the dinner that evening.

The salary is great, and you get a 7% annual bonus each November which you can either use for cash, or invest it tax-free. 4 weeks of vacation each year. I really liked this program, but need to decide whether or not I'm up for more Northern Midwest winters...

University of Chicago –
Located a few miles south of downtown Chicago, U of C is in a bit of a rough neighborhood. Many residents, however, live downtown and commute the 10-15 minutes each morning (about 45 minutes back home every afternoon though…)

A medium sized program currently offering about 6 Categorical and 7 Advanced positions. The Dept chair is currently the ASA president, and many residents are actively involved in ASA and other organizations. As a medium sized program, there seems to be more individualized teaching/mentoring. The faculty seem supportive and there is very little (3-5%/year) turnover. They just got reaccredited for 5 years for the 3rd time in a row.

Didactics are daily at 6:30 in the morning and are for the whole department (i.e. no separate lectures for CA-1s, CA-2s, etc.). They are constantly “tweaking” the program, with bi-weekly meetings of the education committee (Chief Residents, Dept Chair, Program Director, etc) and many changes are made based on feedback from the residents. The entire CA-3 year is elective, allowing you to tailor your education to your needs. About half go in to academics/fellowships and half right into private practice. The department is supportive of either career path and does not “push” academics/research, although mentorship is readily available should you choose to do research.

Call is about 4-5 times per month, and you don’t take call at all your first two months of CA-1 year. Call is very flexible and is scheduled by the Chiefs so many times any requests for certain days are accommodated. You do have to come back in for pre-ops on your post-call day as a CA-1, but after that your in-house pre-ops are done for you. Moonlighting isn’t allowed until CA-3 year, but it is in-house. 4 weeks of vacation per year, with no mandatory “blocks” (i.e. you can take 1-2 days at a time if you wish).

Chicago is a great city if you are looking for the big-city experience. Might not be so great if you have children though. For being the 3rd largest city in America, it is extremely affordable (compared to Boston, San Francisco, Seattle, etc).

University of Virginia-
Another program with a consistently good reputation when I was asking around. Located directly on the beautiful U of Virginia campus in Charlottesville, VA. The town is a nice college town with a picturesque surrounding area rife with mountains, hiking, golf, wine, and history.

Medium-sized program offering both categorical and advanced. Of note, the categorical program breaks up your intern year over the first two years, intermixed with 6-month blocks of Anesthesia. So some PGY-1s get to be in the OR doing gas a few weeks after graduation. Pretty sweet… One thing I noticed was that there are only pain fellowships and no other fellowships. This can be good or bad..(good inasmuch as you get all the “tougher” cases, bad inasmuch as there isn’t any teaching from fellows, might indicate low numbers of certain types of cases, etc).

Most residents are married, with children and rent houses/townhomes in the area (property is currently very expensive to buy). The climate is rather temperate (it did happen to snow while I was there and nobody knew what to do). Everybody was very nice and all the residents without fail seemed happy.

Oregon –
This program makes its home in the “Hospital on a Hill”. The whole Oregon Health Sciences University (OHSU) is literally carved into a hill overlooking downtown Portland. With views of Mt. Hood and Mt. St. Helens out of almost any window in the whole complex, to say the scenery is surreal would be an incredible understatement. There is the main hospital, the VA, and a children’s hospital all connected in one campus. In addition, there is an outpatient surgery center located about a mile away (complete with fitness center) which is reachable by car and…wait for it…..an aerial tram from the hilltop campus. Riding the tram was about the coolest thing I’ve done on an interview, and made it by far the best tour I’ve taken (yes, I did act as giddy as a school girl while riding the tram).

At this point in the interview process (this was 9 of 13), it seems that the places are more similar than they are different, so I will focus on what I perceive to be different about Oregon. First off, they only offer Advanced positions (although they do control 2 prelim medicine positions at a local affiliate hospital, and the PD said he would virtually guarantee anybody a prelim surgery spot at OHSU). That still sucks a little bit in my view as I am really looking for a categorical spot. Whatever. There are only at most 13 residents each year, so it makes for a medium-sized program. There are very few fellows here, although they have more than enough numbers of cases to take fellows on. The Dept Chair wants to keep it this way to allow better access to cases for residents

OHSU is currently ranked #3 in NIH research funding, so that tells you a bit about the slant/philosophy of the program. Interestingly enough, about 2/3 of the residents end up in private practice and not in academics. There is a strong presence in many extracurricular activities such as ASA, AAMC, and various political organizations at the hospital, local, state, and national level (that is an interest of mine so I found that very appealing).

For me, the most appealing aspect of this program is its location (I mean, the training is very good too, and the name is fast gaining national prominence). Portland is an actual city with a downtown area and even a fairly comprehensive public transportation system. It is still small enough that traffic is not horrible (although it does exist) and one doesn’t get the feeling of constantly being overwhelmed. There is a ton of outdoor stuff to do in addition to all the cosmopolitan offerings. Hiking, biking, camping, fishing, skiing, wineries, windsurfing – this place has a lot to offer.

I came to this interview thinking I would not like the program and asking myself why I was even going, and am leaving Portland with, quite possibly, a new number one choice.

WashingtonUniversity – STL –
This Midwestern program is located in the Central West End of St. Louis, Missouri’s largest city. As this was towards the end of my interview season and I’m getting lazy, I decided to write bullet points instead of complete sentences here:
  • Free parking
  • No call the first 3 months
  • No required research
  • Very affordable housing
  • Many CRNAs to help out with workload
  • Good peds experience
  • $8/call shif t for meals + 30% cafeteria discount ...woohoo!!!
  • all rotations on the same campus
  • 10 categorical spots/5 advanced
  • very strong PGY-1 year which has been recently revamped to be more applicable to anesthesia:
    • 2 months ER
    • 4 months IM
    • 5 months of anesthesia-related (2 ICU, 1 pre-op, 1 OR, 1 simulator)
    • 1 month surgery
    • 3 weeks vacation
  • moonlighting allowed starting CA-2 year
  • electives available in administration, TEE
  • a little weak on regional at this point, but growing
  • Didactics:
    • CA-1/CA-II lecture series
    • CA-III seminars and PBL discussions
  • Very nice facilities, lots o’money
  • $3,000 for books/educational materials
  • Dept Chair asked me weird questions, made me give him my top 5 programs
  • Past Chair still has an office and comes in and participates in the interview process, which I thought was cool.
  • Didn’t feel a good connection with the residents I met.
  • St. Louis is (in my opinion) a decent city to live in, and you can afford to live in a cool part of town if you’d like. The weather does leave a little to be desired though.

University of Washington – Seattle –
Located in Seattle, UW currently has 6 categorical programs and 14 Advanced spots (however they may increase the categorical number to 14 for this year, pending approval). This program has formerly had quite the reputation for being “malignant”, something apparently somebody else from my school brought up to the Chair and which made her ask me point blank what I’d heard about the program. A bit uncomfortable, so thank you to whoever asked her that…

Anyways, I didn’t find the program to be anything resembling malignant, and this is apparently due to some fundamental changes that have occurred over the past 5 years, many of them having to do with work hours and changes in leadership. On that topic, the chair is very new (only been there about 6 months) having come from Duke. The former Chair is still around, so it doesn’t appear to be a bad-blood sort of situation.

The program has about 1/3 of its faculty hailing from other countries, which I thought was a little different. Didactics are done quite differently than most other places, with one Wednesday morning a month dedicated to lectures for only one class. This is protected time and allows people from all four clinical locations to be together and actually attend the lectures. As mentioned, there are 4 clinical sites throughout the Seattle area: UW-Hospital, Children’s Hospital, HarborView (the big trauma/neuro place), and the VA (which is apparently quite cush, in contrast to our beloved Zablocki…). Pretty much everything here is strong, although it looked like they do have a deficiency in the numbers of hearts they get. They are also in the process of rebuilding their Pain and Regional programs (you can do a couple of months at Virginia Mason if desired to get more Regional cases).

It seems that residents come from pretty much all over, and live all over the Seattle area. Looking where residents go, however, it seems they all tend to stay in the area, and not a bunch do fellowships. The weather is rather temperate, with the city never recording a high greater than 100 degrees or a low under 0 degrees – that being said, they do get a bunch of rain, but I’m sure you’ve heard that. Seattle is a great town with a lot to do, but does have high housing costs. You can avoid potential negative aspect by being homeless and living in tents the way I saw a lot of people doing while driving through town. I really liked this program and the area, once again making my decision that much more difficult.

UCSF –
Currently being one of the top programs (and consistently the top-funded department in NIH dollars) in Anesthesia, this was the interview I was most nervous about. I mean…Miller - the Miller – is still the Department Chair there and every applicant meets with him during the interview (where he signs and gives you a copy of his book, by the way). The residents here were much more normal than I’d expected, and even seemed cool at the dinner we had the night before. Perhaps the single most surprising thing I found out at the dinner is that well over half of the UCSF grads end up going in to private practice. I guess I figured a place like this trained academicians as the norm.

The day started with Dr. Miller (I call him “Ron” now... not really) talking to us for about 30 minutes about the program. He has been Chair since 1984 (when I was 3) and is only the third chair in the dept’s history. The department as a whole has many very big names in the field, basically a “Who’s Who” of contributors to all the major journals. His big quote for the day is “Status quo is unacceptable”. There does seem to that general feel to the whole program. Some other tidbits he left us with included the fact UCSF is the largest employer in the city, and then he told us about the new hospitals they are building. He went on to say they are building them on the waterfront in SF because he is convinced that traveling by hydrofoil is the “wave of the future” for the Bay Area. Not sure if this will pan out or not, but that comment definitely won the award for the most random thing I heard that day. The fellowship programs there “are for our residents” as he said, which probably explains why they are tough to get otherwise. “Flexibility of funding” was another issue he brought up, which basically means that since the dept is so profitable, he can spend the money however he wants to without having to run it by the Dean’s office. I don’t suppose it hurts that Dr. Miller is also Chief of Staff at UCSF, but what do I know. Another thing I noticed is that there is a huge emphasis on critical care there, and many of the anesthesia guys run the units.

Logistically, there are 4 main hospitals (UCSF – including the main peds experience, SF General, VA, and Mt. Zion) with a couple other hospitals thrown in (Oakland Children’s and Kaiser for hearts). SF General is the only Level I in San Francisco/San Matteo counties, so they see tons of trauma. There are currently 12 Categorical Spots at UCSF, the rest being Advanced and/or available out of the Match. This is the first year they are offering a Categorical program, so we’ll see how it goes. It was noted that your CA-3 year usually allows you to do some international electives (not mission trips, but actual electives in Europe and stuff).

Didactics include daily CA-1 seminars in the afternoon for the first month, and also some smaller sessions calls SMARTS which are basically faculty-directed discussions. Those have apparently been very well received. Like my school's first 2 years, lectures/powerpoints are posted online so you can access them later. You are given a faculty advisor for the first 6 months, then you can choose your own if they suck. Since all the UCSF Medical students are required to rotate through anesthesia, you get some good teaching experience right up front.

I certainly got the impression that the folks at UCSF worked pretty hard, but do get most of their weekends off. If you ever have to stay past 7:00 p.m. on a non-call night, you get a "credit" of $75 for a nice dinner (apparently to smooth things over at home). You just bring in the receipt for dinner and you get the money. There are very few 24 hour calls, as they have kind of a night-float system now (apparently all the cool kids are doing it these days). They only recently added CRNAs but only added 6 which hasn’t been helping out with the workload too much thus far from what I heard. People did seem quite happy though – albeit quite tired.

San Francisco is a great (if not expensive) place to live, and I really enjoyed my time in the city. What they don’t tell you until you interview, is that, in addition to the salary (which isn’t that great) you get a substantial amount extra per year in housing stipends and other lumps of money to help defray the cost of living in San Francisco. That’s pretty helpful in my opinion.

Pros: Top name in anesthesia, great city, fun people, strong connections throughout the academic world, free book at interview.

Cons: Work a little harder than probably necessary, city is expensive, Dr. Miller is probably going to resign in the not-so-distant-future.

Overall, I will probably rank this number 1 due to a combination of the program, and the huge influence of my significant other who is from the Bay area. That being said, I am pretty much expecting to not end up actually matching there as I get the impression it's a hugely competitive program. Guess we'll just have to wait and see...

Stanford –
At last, my interview trail had come to its end. Needless to say I was thrilled. I started off with a rather negative view of this program, beginning with the dinner the night before. I talked to a resident who was a dead-ringer for Sandra Oh’s character on “Grey’s Anatomy”, and had the attitude to match. It really seemed as if they worked very hard at Stanford, with some of it being little worthless service cases (eyes, lap appys, etc). This is compounded by the fact that they don’t use CRNA’s (apparently one of only three programs nationwide to have this policy). Anyways, on to the review.

This is located in Palo Alto, California, which is about 30 miles south of San Francisco. They supposedly have 300 days of sunshine per year (I was there on one of the other 65) and the campus and surrounding area is beautiful. It is also one of the most expensive places to live in the entire country (however the school does have resident housing, and they provide a substantially higher salary plus a housing stipend to help compensate). I would be happy living in that area.

At the beginning of the introductory spiel, I was told that this year’s applicants had an average Step 1 of 237 and were 40% AOA. I’ll just let you know that I felt totally out of place, as I was in the other 60%, and was definitely bringing the average down. When I brought this up to the PD in my interview, he didn’t seem bothered at all about that, and really seemed to care more about my extracurricular activities and third year grades.

As far as the program goes, they have a bunch of faculty in national leadership positions, and the name of the University is quite good. One interesting thing is that they have about 26 “adjunct faculty” which are basically private practice folks who help teach and give you a little different twist on how to do things.

You will work in 4 main hospitals: Stanford Hospital, Packard Children’s (attached to the main hospital), Palo Alto VA, and Santa Clara Valley. Residents seem to enjoy all the hospitals.

The program consistently gets knocked for its didactics, although there is a weekly lecture series, along with a separate lecture series in each rotation. I actually felt like the didactics seemed adequate - at least what I heard in the presentation. There is a “Big Sib” program when you start to get you going (hopefully they do more than give you 3 year old Netters and host a picnic once a year…). This was also the only program which took the time to have a resident contact me prior to the interview. I was able to ask a few questions which allayed some of my concerns ahead of time. Kudos for doing this.

They currently only offer an Advanced program with 22 spots, but the PD indicated they may convert a few of those spots to Categorical. About half of the people go in to private practice, with the other half doing academics and fellowships. They offer all 4 ACGME accredited fellowhips at Stanford. They also offer a really cool 1 year OR Management Fellowship which lets you run the board, do administrative stuff, and also take classes at Stanford School of Business. Kind of a nice innovative combination that attracted my interest.

Numbers-wise, they have at least 2x the numbers of cases required by ACGME (ex. If you need 20 hearts, you average at least 40), and some areas have as much as 7x those required by ACGME. They also made a big deal about having one of the highest Case Mix Index (CMI) of any center in the country. Apparently this means they have a high percentage of complicated cases (which the Chair said is part of why they don’t use CRNAs).

Overall, I liked the area and the program, although, as stated earlier I felt like they got by on their name a little bit, and worked their residents a little harder than is necessary. I will rank this in my top five.

UCSF –
It was noted that your CA-3 year usually allows you to do some international electives (not mission trips, but actual electives in Europe and stuff).

I believe that UCSF stands out for only having one elective month in CA-3 year. As to whether it can be used for international experience, I don't know.

Stanford has research tracks which will commit one to either 18 months of research (6 months in CA-2 or CA-3 plus one extra year) or 30 months (another year). FARM scholarships will pay you extra $10,000 a year.

Nevertheless, this is certainly an impressive effort by Scotch.

Anything on NM?

Categorical program with 5 spots, and 2 advanced but the PD is talking about making everything categorical starting next year. PD says no chance at increasing the number of spots because he likes the size the way it is.

Albuquerque, (which I just learned how to spell by the way) is a beautiful city in the middle of the dessert, with hot dry summers, not so cold winters, sandia moutains to the north with skiing in the winters.

They do mostly weekend interviews, put you up at a very nice suite hotel for two nights and interview large groups at a time about 20 or so. The dinner is after the saturday interviews so nothing the friday night.

They have very, very strong regional anesthesia with numbers being met by the end of the CA1 year easily. The residents spend 3 months total at an outpatient surgicenter, where they seriously accumulate their numbers on blocks. Solid everywhere else, except a little weak in cardiac. The residents have an option of doing an away rotation in Houston as CA3's for extra cardiac but it's not necessary as you are usually able to meet your numbers although barely sometimes.

Hospital is nice and they are still constructing more to it, so it was a little messy on the outside. Can't remember much about intern year, but it's a nice mixture of stuff with about 2 months of some type of ICU. Call for anesthesia if I remember is every 5-6 days. Residents get 2-3 weekends off per month. One of the weekends on call is a 12hour call, and the other sometimes (optional) is a 24hour call depending on need. Either way, the residents get paid moonlighting hours on the 24hr call at $35/hr and this seems to be their way of making extra money. No external moonlighting. Weekday call starts at 1400. Residents for the entire hospital belong to a union and you get paid to work some holidays. You get $2000 relocation fund, $2000 each year for books and meetings, you pay about $60 for health insurance for a single person and $150 for family. Liability, disability all other stuff is covered, but I don't remember specifics.

Faculty seemed cool, except I did get a tough interviewer who asked me ethical questions, and "what would you do questions". Other interview was a laid back conversation. PD Dr. Harding, very nice guy, and Asst. PD Dr. Szabo as well and they seem to really care about their residents. The resident seemed happy.

Overall, great program, if you like a big town with a small town feel. Lot's of sunshine, affordable to live, lot's to do outdoors, beautiful scenery. Definetly one of my top three.

Cedars-Sinai

Only chose to interview here out of curiosity. Probably made a bad impression by not knowing that it was a categorical program. My only west coast interview where I saw FMGs interviewing. This program has distinctively strong pros and similarly strong cons. History of the program: Cedars is a private hospital that has been a site for rotations in cardiac and ob for neighboring programs for a long time. Many anesthesiologists were interested in teaching and there was talk of making a residency for a while. The death of Killer King accelerated this process. About 40-50 of the 100+ anesthesiologists chose to become faculty; because there is no research they are all doing this because of their desire to teach (or get cheap labor?). Excellent cases in all areas, and because there are so many more cases going on than anesthesia residents, they do really interesting stuff daily. I loved the private practice vibe, but it sounded to me that residents do get rushed as a result. Probably for the best in the end. Limited resident autonomy for the same reasons, probably not for the best in the end. The attendings here are really cool and have all sorts of things going on in their lives outside the OR (much like the private guys on this forum!). Attendings here are hot shots and very well connected and the residents seem to be landing very good fellowships through these connections. However, attendings (off the record) and rotating med students agree that the current residents from MLK, especially the CA-3s, are very weak. I am concerned that they will lower the reputation of this program for a while although I think that 10 years down the road this will be a very competitive program. I did not like the PD. Very limited research opportunities, obviously. There is talk of a pain fellowship soon. 2 hours of protected didactic time daily! But mainly run by residents without the attendings. I would rather come here than scramble, and I may even rank it above USC. If you have low numbers but are looking for a program in SoCal, I encourage you to check it out. I would love to work here when I finish training.
I am a CA2 at the new Cedars Sinai program and I want to clear up some issues that were presented in this last posting. First of all, our new program actually began on July 1,2007 so our CA2s, and CA3s are currently the remnants of the MLK-Drew Anesthesiology residency. When King Drew Med Ctr. Closed on 11/30/6, we were all moved to Cedars Sinai (as our program had been integrated with Cedars Sinai in earlier in 2006). Our residents have been working at Cedars Sinai since 12/1/06 and our clinical experience, while inherently greatly improved from MLK, has been evolving for the better. We have had 4 residents that graduated this integrated Drew-Cedars program in June 07. Through an endless amount of work from our program director, our chairman, faculty, and program coordinator the Cedars Sinai Anesthesiology program was born on July 1,2006. Of note, as Cedars is a very busy surgical hospital, rotators from hospital such as UCI, UCLA, Riverside County Anesthesia programs have been rotating at Cedars for many years.

It is correct that approximately 45-50 anesthesiologist attending are part of our academic faculty, and there are approximately 85 anesthetizing locations running during an average day. The faculty work with residents in a 1:1 ratio. Thus, there is usually somewhat of a surplus of attendings that are not assigned residents, and it is not uncommon for residents to choose which cases they work the next day. We look up our patients the night before, and call our respective attending as most programs do, and we set up the rooms at 6AM and cases usually start at 7:15AM. Every day, we get at least 2 hours of protected didactic time in which our attending let us out of the rooms at 3:30PM. At that point, we have keywords, board reviews, oral board reviews, or case presentations for 2 hours. Wednesdays are different in that there is 6:45AM lecture (either Grand Rounds, M&M, or cardiac presentation, or resident presentation . Moreover, we have Journal Club presentations on the first Wednesday of each month. It seems as if all the didactics is working as my class as a whole scored in the 80th percentile for our post CA1 inservice. In fact one person would've passed the test if he/she was taking it for real.

There are certain aspects of a private practice that are extremely beneficial for us as residents. The cases for the most parts are done by attending surgeons (there are gen surg residents, and multiple specialty fellowships) so the surgeries tend to be quick from incision to closure.For instance, it is not uncommon for 1 surgeon to do 6 hip replacements before 3PM, which is good for anesthesia residents because with more cases come more procedures with less waiting time. In terms of autonomy, I will admit because of the 1:1 attending to resident ratio most attending will be present for more of the case compared with other programs. A resident will learn more when an attending explains the inns and outs of the case, compared to a resident who's attending is only present for the intubation and extubation (and the resident runs the case the same as a CA3, as he did as a CA1). Another positive of our program is our faculty is highly diverse and will approach situations differently and thus we as residents take on a wide arsenal of approaching different situations such as difficult airways. Furthermore, we schedule our more senior residents with attendings that tend to leave the room for most of the case. For example, our attendings leave their rooms to interview applicants for our program.

When it comes to research, THERE ARE MULTIPLE RESEARCH OPPURTUNITIES at Cedars. There are multiple studies currently taking place that residents are participating in. Residents have the opportunity to start a project from IRB application, or to join an ongoing study. There are even options for doing bench research.

We do interview and rank FMGs. We do not discriminate applicants based on their backgrounds. We simply wish to select the most competent, versatile, mature applicants, regardless of their backgrounds, or nationality.

In terms of resident competence, there will always be some residents stronger than others. As we do have rotators coming to our program, I can honestly say that overall, our residents are comparable to other local programs. I myself am completely comfortable running most of my cases as a CA2 halfway done. We have the opportunity to do many procedures. For example, in the past six months,I have done over 60 a lines, and 50 fiberoptic intubations, (our program stresses the use of fiberoptic bronchoscopes for difficult intubations). Furthermore, residents average 7-10 epidurals/spinals per 24 hour call during OB. The one area that our numbers are probably lower than other programs is central lines (as it is a private practice). We still are ok with our numbers as we have the opportunity to put in a lot of central lines when we are on cardiac/liver/neuro cases, or in the ICU. Speaking of the ICU. Our ICU rotation is in the Cardiac Surgical ICU where the intensivist is an anesthesiologist. The ICU resident works 6A-6P from Mon-Fri, and rounds on Sat,but does NOT take calls. Coverage from 6P-6A is by the residents on Cardiac Anesthesia rotations (call usually q5). The goal is to learn the management of these complicated patients not only intra-operatively, but also postoperatively when they can be most critical.

Last, but not least, our Academic Chairman, Dr Wender, and our Program Director, Dr Yumul have open door policies for residents with any issues. If a resident has an issue with anything but wishes to remain anonymous, there is a suggestion box that is frequently checked . If there are issues with an attending, that attending is simply taken off of academic faculty.There is also a great deal of evolution (highly influenced by residents) and commitment in our program, I think it is a good sign that the Cedars GME has sponsored a substantial amount for renovating our Anesthesia Resident Department Space (Not to mention the large amount of space the hospital has given us for conference room, offices, library, resident lounge,etc. ) All in all,from the countless lectures, board reviews, keyword sessions, oral board prep, endless nights of paperwork, and the moving of the program to Cedars, Dr Wender and Dr Yumul have done more for our careers than anyone will ever know. And that amount of dedication is what I believe you should want from your chairman and program director. Hopefully, I cleared up some issues/questions about our program, but please feel free to PM if you have further questions.

Any reviews on Indiana......on like their call schedule, work hrs etc.....

my last interview! yeah!!!= dartmouth (yes i am drunk! and stranded in manchester, NH due to ice/snow/freezing rain storm)
possible weaknesses: (you decide +/-) = no livers, no heart transplants, sufficient but not excess ob experience, level one trauma center but little penetrating trauma, no moonlighting
strengths: REGIONAL (seemed VERY strong), pain, critical care
residents are super happy and are on first name basis with attendings. seemed like a super great place to be unless you wanted livers or excess ob or were single looking for a great night scene. nice place to be married. lebanon/hanover are quaint small NE towns, no one locks their doors, intellectual community, etc. work hours and call were reasonable. approachable attendings, emphasis on teaching, esp. intra-op. it always impresses me big time when a pd or other attending talks about a resident with a tone of respect and admiration. I have only come across this twice on the interview trail and dartmouth was one (houston was the other btw). board pass rate 100% for the past few years.
in general i think this is a super strong program...you just have to decide if you want to live in a somewhat small but quaint town in the NE.
climbingdocs -- dartmouth should be on your list for sure -- there is a dartmouth climbing club, etc. there are several indoor "walls" for when the weather is too bad.

I really liked NM too! Did anyone hear back anything so I have any idea if they liked me?

any sort of feedback?

I got a formal email letter, I replied with a thank you letter and didnt get a response back from them... Who knows??? :confused:

possible weaknesses: (you decide +/-) = no livers, no heart transplants, sufficient but not excess ob experience, level one trauma center but little penetrating trauma, no moonlighting
Amyl,
I think that you will come to find that these weaknesses may actually be strengths. I love livers now (in kids), but I was happy to only do 2 as a resident and heart transplants are not really very different from a bad heart case, not to mention that OB is a never ending grind at many bigger programs.
Regards.

thats why i put "possible" weaknesses, you decide +/-. These things are not weaknesses for me, but they might be for some one else. many other things are much more important to me.
I am pretty sure of my career path and it doesn't include livers ;-)

So NM sounds pretty good, but the question is why no DO residents? Any idea?

For the record, we have had them in the past (most recent was three years ago), just none currently. :)

I'm a 4th year DO student and I can tell you after rotating at UNM they have no problem with DOs. From day one I felt like part of the team. During my interview I ask the PD about not currently having any DOs. He told me it makes no difference to him if you are DO, MD or FMG as long as you are a competative applicant and have solid USMLE scores. The problem is that many DO students still apply with only the COMLEX.

so i am currently a resident here in houston

I want to clarify a few things since i know how it is rt now and what changes are going on.

First of all, i am not a native houstonian. but LOVE the city now after only 7 months here
During my interview i only interviewed at Ut Houston and baylor. I liked both programs when i interviewed and decided i wanted to be in Houston.

Here are some of the things goin on.. i will let u make your decisions. some comments are in defense of what was said in prev threads

UT houston -
is not a workhorse prgm. Residents do work but not crazy hrs, nothing compared to UPenn or JHU(some other prgms i looked at) ALso, u work more as a CA-1 and it gets easier as you go through the yrs with 2nd-3 yrs gettin out by 3-4 pm every day. CA-1 yr is hit or miss, some days u get out earlier than later..
As for the happy hr before the day of the interview, if u interviewed in the beginning of the yr there was definitely less of a resident turn out, mainly because of a communication break down, but i dont think that should affect the prgm quality.. When i interviewed, it was the best part of the interview and that unity was something that drew me here. Myself and a few residents stayed for 2-3 hrs on the few happy hrs that i went to as a resident just hanging out with whoever wanted to stay. the interview day might not be as great as Baylor's but the resident are truly happy here and we definitely get along very well with each other. We hang out outside of the hospital, do random happy hrs and enjoy each others companies.

There are definitely some changes goin on here - and after only one week of them this prgm has gotten great.. Soo much more intraop teaching, great new faculty coming in from some great east coast institutions, some great private practice attendings are plannin on startin soon as well. they are all eager to teach since they have not been doing so for many yrs

i love ut houston's prgm and i see it becoming even greater over the next yr.. quick and necessary changes. our chair listens to us, teaches us in the OR, has weekly meetings to address changes and get our opinions on them as well. we had such a meeting yesterday.

Baylor - this stuff i only know from my interviews, from some friends doin residency there and some other baylor med studs

The resident are happy there as well. we do not interact with them much but we all get along well
there are some problems with their chair, there is some interrim stuff going on there as well, from what i hear. I have met some residents who told me to go to UT Houston if i want more of a chill prgm and some more teaching. i hear baylor's mentality is more of a self teach style.

both hospitals go to texas hearrt, texas children, MD anderson.. so there is no difference there
both are level 1 traumas as well.
i think hermann ( ut houst gets more life flight patients and baylor gets more
ambulance trauma)

There will also not be a joint prgm between baylor and Ut houston. there is some talk about a joint board review coarse that UT houston is tryin to start up on the weekends.- volunatry of course but why would u not go!!! it would be great.

\hope this helps. choose wisely..
in the end u will be happy as long as u have the rt attitude.
ps - keep in mind that if u meet 2-3 people on an interview they are not representative of the entire class, there are 40-50 more of us, atleast at the TX prgms!

so i am currently a resident here in houston

I want to clarify a few things since i know how it is rt now and what changes are going on.

First of all, i am not a native houstonian. but LOVE the city now after only 7 months here
During my interview i only interviewed at Ut Houston and baylor. I liked both programs when i interviewed and decided i wanted to be in Houston.

Here are some of the things goin on.. i will let u make your decisions. some comments are in defense of what was said in prev threads

UT houston -
is not a workhorse prgm. Residents do work but not crazy hrs, nothing compared to UPenn or JHU(some other prgms i looked at) ALso, u work more as a CA-1 and it gets easier as you go through the yrs with 2nd-3 yrs gettin out by 3-4 pm every day. CA-1 yr is hit or miss, some days u get out earlier than later..
As for the happy hr before the day of the interview, if u interviewed in the beginning of the yr there was definitely less of a resident turn out, mainly because of a communication break down, but i dont think that should affect the prgm quality.. When i interviewed, it was the best part of the interview and that unity was something that drew me here. Myself and a few residents stayed for 2-3 hrs on the few happy hrs that i went to as a resident just hanging out with whoever wanted to stay. the interview day might not be as great as Baylor's but the resident are truly happy here and we definitely get along very well with each other. We hang out outside of the hospital, do random happy hrs and enjoy each others companies.

There are definitely some changes goin on here - and after only one week of them this prgm has gotten great.. Soo much more intraop teaching, great new faculty coming in from some great east coast institutions, some great private practice attendings are plannin on startin soon as well. they are all eager to teach since they have not been doing so for many yrs

i love ut houston's prgm and i see it becoming even greater over the next yr.. quick and necessary changes. our chair listens to us, teaches us in the OR, has weekly meetings to address changes and get our opinions on them as well. we had such a meeting yesterday.

Baylor - this stuff i only know from my interviews, from some friends doin residency there and some other baylor med studs

The resident are happy there as well. we do not interact with them much but we all get along well
there are some problems with their chair, there is some interrim stuff going on there as well, from what i hear. I have met some residents who told me to go to UT Houston if i want more of a chill prgm and some more teaching. i hear baylor's mentality is more of a self teach style.

both hospitals go to texas hearrt, texas children, MD anderson.. so there is no difference there
both are level 1 traumas as well.
i think hermann ( ut houst gets more life flight patients and baylor gets more
ambulance trauma)

There will also not be a joint prgm between baylor and Ut houston. there is some talk about a joint board review coarse that UT houston is tryin to start up on the weekends.- volunatry of course but why would u not go!!! it would be great.

\hope this helps. choose wisely..
in the end u will be happy as long as u have the rt attitude.
ps - keep in mind that if u meet 2-3 people on an interview they are not representative of the entire class, there are 40-50 more of us, atleast at the TX prgms!

Thank you for your post.:)

I'm a current resident here and wished I would've have known more about the program's history of low pass rate on the boards. This past ITE, almost half of the current CA-3's (8/20?)failed the exam. This looks terrible and shows the lack of emphasis on education the programs has. I think many would agree that we feel we are there for clinical obligations vs. educational. I have mixed feelings about our program but will try to be as honest as possible. If anything, it will give you applicants other things to consider.

here is the low down.. I agree that UT H is a strong clinical prgm and gettin better . They are working on getting more research here and are gettin new faculty that are interested in research. We have a new chair who is extremely well known in the anesthesia community, has written many books, and is a nationally known airway expert. She has already made some changes which i can personally say are amazing. .This prgm is going to get 100 times better over the next 6 months. better board reviews, better intraop teaching, etc i have already seen this improve over the past month.

i agree that many residents do stay in Texas, but i know many from last yr who did leave the state. I plan on leaving and i already have contacts from this prgm in other states.. Also, from the Ca-3s that i have spoken with, those who applied for pain, got a spot in pain. I am interested in pain. One of them got a position at MD anderson, top 3 in the country. Also, one resident from last yr also has a position at MD anderson. others are at various places.

good luck

I went to UT houston and while i really liked the program...i felt that they just werent a very strong program. Clinically i felt that there were strong and had a wide variety of cases and had no problem meeting numbers. HOwever, they are in limbo about getting a chairman, i think they are close to finding one. Also there is also no research going on in the program. Also when I asked the CA3's where they were going they all said there were staying in Texas....meaning that everyone stayed in state and im not sure if i want to stay in the state. BOARD pass rate is 80%, and only 30%-40% fellowship, which i want to do. The attendings however are very very nice tho.

I have mixed feelings

in regard to the boards: didn't they just hire michael ho? when i interviewed dr hagberg said she was reviving the pain fellowship right there at uth as well. if you are interested in pain, the good thing about uth is you get several months at mdanderson to make a good impression. i have heard that they don't consider your fellowship app unless you rotated there.

Any reviews on Indiana......on like their call schedule, work hrs etc.....

IU has a great program with a lot of history. Dr Stoelting was the chair until he retired. As for the residency it is one of the largest in the country with 23-24 residents in each class but there is definitely no shortage of cases. There are no CRNAs or AA and the residents rotate between 4 main hospitals on basically one gigantic medical campus. They also do a month of hearts at Methodist Hospital a few miles away.

The hours and call schedule vary depending on the different sites. As a general rule most residents put in 60-65 hrs/wk taking 4-5 24 hrs per month. A normal day goes from about 630am-500pm. Hours are usually longer at Riley (the childrens hospital) and less at Wishard(the county hospital) and the VA.

The clinical exposure at UI amazing...tons and tons of transplants, neuro and peds. I was told that regional used to be lacking but they hired a couple new faculty who almost exclusively do regional cases. A prior complaint was that residents spent to much time at the children's hospital but now the most any one resident will spend at Riley is 6 months. That still may be a little more than some like but it is definitely an improvement.

All didactics are stacked on Weds morning. They include the usual...M&M, case reviews, board review etc.

The faculty for the most part are great and the residents seem very happy. Like every place there are a few people that seem disgruntle but I think everyone would admit their training was top notch.

The PD is incredible. A very honest and up-front guy. You will always know where you stand with him for better or for worse. As for the question about IU being an "inbred" program, it is true most of the residents are from IU but they also have a med school class of like 350. Every year there are handful of people from all over including DOs.

As for the city, it's Indianapolis. A clean, cheap, family friendly place. I'm not much into the scene but they must have pretty good nightlife based on the kind of trouble the Pacer's players get into.

Overall :thumbup: :thumbup:

How many damn interviews did you go to Amy?

in regard to the boards: didn't they just hire michael ho? when i interviewed dr hagberg said she was reviving the pain fellowship right there at uth as well. if you are interested in pain, the good thing about uth is you get several months at mdanderson to make a good impression. i have heard that they don't consider your fellowship app unless you rotated there.

I think I remember a resident mentioning a significant portion of CA3s not passing there boards last year at MCG...I also don't remember the residents being all that pleased with the program.