2008 August PCAT Countdown & Results

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Transformer

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Scores should be coming in the next 7 to 14 days.

I'm feeling super duper nervous about my August PCAT results. :(

If you took the 2008 August PCAT, please feel free to share your thoughts.

Also, If you just received your score, please post your results here.:)

Members don't see this ad.

I live in AZ and got mine on Saturday. Not bad for a guy who did the school thing half-heartedly some 20 years ago and decided to go for a career change a couple of years ago. Not thrilled with the math... Like many before, just ran outa time.

Verbal - 95
Bio - 96
Read Comp - 88
Quant. - 71
Chem - 92
COMPOSITE - 95

writing - 3/2.5

Pat a 40+ on the back would ya!

Thanks a lot for your feedback. You boost my confidence a great deal.

As of my studying for PCAT, I studied Chem and Math mostly from Dr. Collins' packet. I must say it helped a lot in narrowing what i should focus on, and his practice exams were sometimes tougher than the real exams (i realized that after i had taken the test). I also reviewed some reactions and mechanisms in my Organic chem textbook. My Math score was a little dissapointing to me because it was always my best subject but i didnt do it so well. (I reviewed some Stat stuff in Kaplan too). As of Biology, I didnt study at all except doing Dr. Collins' practice exams (but i found them very easy), since Im a Bio major and my knowledge was still fresh.
Hope it helps.

WHAT IS Dr. COLLIN'S PACKET AND WHERE CAN I BUY IT? =) Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
WTF:

Verbal 66 from a 89
Bio 96 from a 79
Reading 79 from a 76
Quant 67 from a 57
Chem 67 from a 73

83 from an 80

I improved everything except chemistry and verbal, which really sucks. An 83 is ok, though. Well see what happens. :confused:

Word. Where can I find this treasure? and has anyone used or heard of PCAT audiolearn?

The PCAT audiolearn is what I used to prepare for the exam. The week before the exam I listened to it while I was working. It covers a lot of the basics of the sections, but that is what the PCAT really tests on anyways. This was realy nice to use because I generally don't have much time to sit down and read a book, but I could listen to this at home or in the car. My only gripe is that this was pretty expensive (like $70 from amazon), and is pretty cheaply manufactured. I left the cd case on my seat for a day and it warped. The information is very valuable though. Pair this with steady practice tests when you have the time (Kaplan) and you should be in good condition. Hope that helps!

WHAT IS Dr. COLLIN'S PACKET AND WHERE CAN I BUY IT? =) Thanks.

Sorry I didnt get back to you soon 'coz i was busy on the first day of Fall term. Yeah, pcatprepclass.com it is!
I would add that Dr. Collins is extremely accessible, and he explains things in details until you get it, and he makes things easy to understand... I am not advertising the class though, it is just that I had a great experience with his class.

Sorry I didnt get back to you soon 'coz i was busy on the first day of Fall term. Yeah, pcatprepclass.com it is!
I would add that Dr. Collins is extremely accessible, and he explains things in details until you get it, and he makes things easy to understand... I am not advertising the class though, it is just that I had a great experience with his class.

I live in CA, has anyone taken the online self study course? Is it worthwhile for $310?

I received my scores today. I'm from Chicago. It was my first time taking the exam.

Verbal - 81
Biology - 99
Reading - 63 <----:confused: I've always struggled with reading comp
Quantitative - 97
Chemsitry - 97

Composite - 97 :hardy:

Writing 3.0/3.0

Very excited! Last year I finished Orgo I and II. I studied at the library for a 4-5 hours each day (except weekends) ALL summer (June-August). Using numerous prep books/magazines.

For verbal and reading I worked through and completed Word Fest! (published by Barron's) and read various science magazines.

For Biology I read through Kaplan's 08-09 edition twice (first time highlighting, second time taking detailed notes), Shaum's A&P, and Shaum's Microbiology (b/c I haven't taken either of those classes).

For Chemistry I also read through Kaplan twice (first time highlighting, second time taking detailed notes). Kaplan's Organic section is very weak, but I felt prepared because I had just taken the class (successfully) last year.

For general prep I used REA flashcards (did 10 a day from two sections then 10 the next day for the other two sections and kept switching off), completed all 5 of Cliff's practice tests, completed both of the editions of Barron's PCAT prep, and took Harcourt's two practice tests.

I divided everything up for each day of the summer. Also, I took a practice test every Friday.

Despite all the studying I did, I still believe that the very best way to prepare for the PCAT is to work hard and understand as many concepts as you can as you take your pre-requisite classes. You want to avoid learning as you study for the test; it's better if your studying is more of a review of what you've already learned.

I'd be glad to help if anyone has questions!!

Last edited:
My scores, they are good enough. My school needs a 70.

Verbal: 68 - This is a shocker, I felt like I did excellent, apparently not.
Biology:76 - Good enough, that's up from a shocking 40
Reading:75 - Would have been higher, had a brain meltdown.
Quant A:83 - Finally a good math score after getting 40 in it twice.
Chemistry:67 - Dissapointed, down from a 83..
Composite:77

I am happy enough, wont retake. Its funny cause I tried to focus on the sections that I did bad on and had great improvements, but at the expense of my other subjects.

Verbal: down from 75
Chem: Down from 83
Math: Up from 41
Bio: up from 40

What approach did you take to improve your QA score? I got a 92 composite...all subtests in the 90's, except for that darn QA (43). I am wanting to see the exact same results that you got? What's your method?

I received my scores today. I'm from Chicago. It was my first time taking the exam.

Verbal - 81
Biology - 99
Quantitative - 97
Chemsitry - 97

Writing 3.0/3.0

Very excited! Last year I finished Orgo I and II. I studied at the library for an average 4 hours during the week ALL summer (June-August). Using numerous prep books/magazines.

For verbal and reading I worked through and completed Word Fest! (published by Barron's) and read various science magazines.

For Biology I read through Kaplan's 08-09 edition twice (first time highlighting, second time taking detailed notes), Shaum's A&P, and Shaum's Microbiology (b/c I haven't taken either of those classes).

For Chemistry I also read through Kaplan twice (first time highlighting, second time taking detailed notes). Kaplan's Organic section is very weak, but I felt prepared because I had just taken the class (successfully) last year.

For general prep I used REA flashcards (did 10 a day from two sections then 10 the next day for the other two sections and kept switching off), completed all 5 of Cliff's practice tests, completed both of the editions of Barron's PCAT prep, and took Harcourt's two practice tests.

I divided everything up for each day of the summer. Also, I took a practice test every Friday.

What did you use for the quantitative portion?

What did you use for the quantitative portion?

I'm working on my mathematics minor in college right now which probably helps a lot. I basically just brushed up on my math skills as I took practice tests, Barron's prep, and as I did the REA flashcards. I focused on my speed as I practiced. The math questions that were most representative of the PCAT were the ones on Harcourt's practice exams.

Members don't see this ad :)
I live in CA, has anyone taken the online self study course? Is it worthwhile for $310?

hey i live in Portland OR. I studied his packet, and i contacted with him virtually via email. I said he was accessible because he always replied on the same day, and sometimes i sent him not one but maybe five emails in one day... It's definitely worth $310 in my experience! But I guess some people may not agree. When i decided to buy his packet, I thought "give it a try" and it turned out good for me (since i scored high in science portions), but to tell the truth i also studied some other stuff in textbook, which was not covered much in his packet just to be safe... I mean whether or not it is useful for you also depends on your self studying... I found his Chem and Math sections were great because he narrowed down what to focus on! Yea, it was like a lottery game when I decided to spend $300 bucks for it, but it turned out i won! haha

First time taking it!!

Verbal 436/ 92% :eek:(really surprised- in a good way)
Bio 408/61% :eek:(really surprised in a bad way)
Reading Comp 404/ 52% :(
Quant 409/ 57% :(
Chemistry 437/ 90% :D:D (sO HAPPY!!)

Composite 419/ 79% :thumbup: but i'll still retake focusing on math and bio

Verbal - 81
Biology - 99
Quantitative - 97
Chemsitry - 97

Writing 3.0/3.0

Very excited! Last year I finished Orgo I and II. I studied at the library for an average 4 hours during the week ALL summer (June-August). Using numerous prep books/magazines.

Despite all the studying I did, I still believe that the very best way to prepare for the PCAT is to work hard and understand as many concepts as you can as you take your pre-requisite classes. You want to avoid learning as you study for the test; it's better if your studying is more of a review of what you've already learned.

wow! congrats, you deserve it as much as you've studied! I know you said the math was most like the harcourt(which is good) but do the other sections compare to the harcourt as well? thanks for your time and help and again, congrats!

I wholeheartedly agree. I'm very thankful for the bio classes I've taken because it forced me to retain the trivial BS facts that happened to be on the PCAT (phylums anyone?). I think the other noteworthy approach you took was taking a practice test every week. I can't stress how important this is -- it's the only way to get a feel for the format of the actual questions. After all, the PCAT isn't just testing your knowledge, it's also testing how you think.

wow! congrats, you deserve it as much as you've studied! I know you said the math was most like the harcourt(which is good) but do the other sections compare to the harcourt as well? thanks for your time and help and again, congrats!

The whole Harcourt test is by far the most representative of the real PCAT. However, Kaplan's Biology/Reading/Chem, Cliff's Verbal/Reading are also great approximations of their respective sections. In general, though, I felt that none of the books' math sections were like the real thing (only Harcourt was).

I'm taking the PCAT again in January (it's too late for me to sign up/study for October). I already have the Kaplan book, but will concentrate more on taking practice exams over and over. I know Harcourt's 2 tests are closest to the real thing, but I want to practice more. So is Cliff's 5 tests the second best thing?

I am in the middle of Orgo I and Calc now so I should be prepared by January. I can't believe I'm going to do this whole process again lol

Just got mine in the mail today. Here are my PCAT scores... the moment of truth...

Verbal: 81
Reading: 45
Biology: 98
Chemistry: 76
Quantitative: 83
Composite: 86

Writing~ 3
Problem~ 3

I got an 86 Composite on the last time that I took it... but my verbal and reading were in the 90s... I guess I rather have the hard science score as oppose to writing and verbal highs.

I'm taking the PCAT again in January (it's too late for me to sign up/study for October). I already have the Kaplan book, but will concentrate more on taking practice exams over and over. I know Harcourt's 2 tests are closest to the real thing, but I want to practice more. So is Cliff's 5 tests the second best thing?

I am in the middle of Orgo I and Calc now so I should be prepared by January. I can't believe I'm going to do this whole process again lol

I'd rank them --> 1. Kaplan 08-09, 2. Barron's (new), 3. Cliff's, 4. Barron's (old)

Take them at the library or somewhere library-like to simulate real test conditions. Time yourself. Write the essays as if it were the real thing.

When you're done go over each problem you got wrong and redo it/rewrite the correct answer so you'll remember it next time b/c when you get something wrong and then go over it realizing you had made some stupid mistake, it will jump out at you next time you encounter the same type of problem.

When you purchase the 2 online practice exams from Harcourt, do they give you a detailed score report containing the answers and explanations?

When you purchase the 2 online practice exams from Harcourt, do they give you a detailed score report containing the answers and explanations?

they give you explanations to the answers.

the score report is just an estimate of the percentage, for example, 80-90% or 40-60%...they will tell u the number you got right out of the 40 scored quetions and they will tell you the number you got right in each subject. for example, for math they will tell you that you got 8/10 in algerbra, 9/15 in calculus....etc.

For biology, it would be divided into general bio, anatomy, physiology, and microbio and they'll tell you how many you got right in each section.

good luck.

Straight motherf***ing ballin'. Just kidding.

Verbal 89
Biology 99
Reading 88
Quant 99
Chemistry 99
Composite 99
Writing 3/3

lol you arent kidding you are straight mother f***king ballin thats awesome if i made a 99 i would make a t shirt and wear it for a week straight.

va-88
bio-95
reading-11 maybe i should go to the zoolander center for kids who cant read good and do other things good to
quant - 87
chem-91
comp-74

rofl, did anyone else go through ridiculous lengths of opening up their envelope? I pulled out the paper and held my hand over the scores and slowly lowered it score by score. I was shaking by the end.

I'm a newbie to the forum. I've been readying and learning from everyone's posts since January. You all ROCK!!!

I took the PCAT for the first time in Aug. I totally bombed. I got 49% composite. Don't know what happened. My practise tests were 50% better. I think the timeing killed me.:scared:
I graduated and took my chem & bio classes 10 years ago. Since then I have been working in clinical research (lot's of research drugs, and some patient work). My GPA is 3.5 in the sciences and I have killer letters of recommendation. :)
Do any of you think I stand a chance with this PCAT score or should I hold off for another year and try again? Oct. exam is out for me. I was thinking of applying to schools that don't require a PCAT score.

rofl, did anyone else go through ridiculous lengths of opening up their envelope? I pulled out the paper and held my hand over the scores and slowly lowered it score by score. I was shaking by the end.

I went straight to the composite. You got issues ;)

Last edited:
Kaplan Verbal ------------------ 421
Kaplan Biology ----------------- 360
Kaplan Chemistry -------------- 411
Kaplan Reading Comprehension -- 446
Kaplan Quantitative ------------ 468

PCAT verbal --------------------383
PCAT Bio -----------------------393
PCAT Chem --------------------410
PCAT Reading Comp ------------407
PCAT Quan --------------------424
composite 406 - 56%
Needless to say I'm just a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittle pissed off. I'm having them re-grade it, people don't just go from high 90s percentile to 57th, something is wrong. Yeah there's an extremely high chance that there was no mistake and that I did in fact get these scores... I just need to have some closure.

Most pathetic feeling of my life... I'm re-taking in october, and if I don't do well I'm going to go insane... I've studied way too much and taken so many practice pcats with such higher scores... I can't believe I choked, I just can't believe it..

Praetorianz
I took the Kaplan exams too and did awesome!!!!!! I can't understand what happened on the actual PCAT.
For me, maybe the Kaplan course wasn't a good thing..........

hi,
has anyone who lives in austin, tx received their scores yet? i am freaking out b/c i'm not sure if i need to retake it and the oct. deadline is this Friday! thanks.

lol you arent kidding you are straight mother f***king ballin thats awesome if i made a 99 i would make a t shirt and wear it for a week straight.

va-88
bio-95
reading-11 maybe i should go to the zoolander center for kids who cant read good and do other things good to
quant - 87
chem-91
comp-74

LOL dang. I think if you had gotten 50+ on your reading, you could've had a 90+ composite. :(

The whole Harcourt test is by far the most representative of the real PCAT. However, Kaplan's Biology/Reading/Chem, Cliff's Verbal/Reading are also great approximations of their respective sections. In general, though, I felt that none of the books' math sections were like the real thing (only Harcourt was).
Verbal - 95
Bio - 96
Read Comp - 88
Quant. - 71
Chem - 92
COMPOSITE - 95!

I used Kaplan primarily, but like most of you, found it woefully insufficient for its discussion of OChem. I also used Barron's and the REA Flashcards. I found the flashcards to be effective in that you didn't have a chapter of reading material fresh in your mind when deciphering your answer as you would if you were only doing the review problems in the Kaplan. The Barron's, to me, was a good starting point. It was far easier than the other two books but as you went through and did your best to answer the questions, it gave you a good idea as to what specific areas where you would need more in depth (Kaplan + textbooks) study.
But nothing beats good ol' time and perseverance. I drove myself to the college library every day and stayed for a set # of hours just to force myself to study. I hope it paid off...

Kaplan Verbal ------------------ 421
Kaplan Biology ----------------- 360
Kaplan Chemistry -------------- 411
Kaplan Reading Comprehension -- 446
Kaplan Quantitative ------------ 468

PCAT verbal --------------------383
PCAT Bio -----------------------393
PCAT Chem --------------------410
PCAT Reading Comp ------------407
PCAT Quan --------------------424
composite 406 - 56%
Needless to say I'm just a liiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiittle pissed off. I'm having them re-grade it, people don't just go from high 90s percentile to 57th, something is wrong. Yeah there's an extremely high chance that there was no mistake and that I did in fact get these scores... I just need to have some closure.

Most pathetic feeling of my life... I'm re-taking in october, and if I don't do well I'm going to go insane... I've studied way too much and taken so many practice pcats with such higher scores... I can't believe I choked, I just can't believe it..

praetorianz, i totally agree and feel the same way
i just got everything a little lower than you but i guess we're on the same boat.
i am retaking in october definitely and thats the last chance for me too :eek:
can you just show me ur percentiles cuz i want to make sure that this is truly IT.
Verbal 392 35
Bio 399 45
Reading 384 21
Quan 382 14
Chem 405 53
Composite 392 27
writing 3.0
my expectations with how i felt during the test are totally at odds with these numbers...
tho there were many factors that went in my way like jet lag, i cant believe i literally bombed it

**by the way how do i get it regraded?

i'm a little bummed out on kaplan too

i got composite of 429 and 435 (equi of around 90%+) on the midterm and final for kaplan and got even composite around 85 and 88% for the real hartcourt practice test and ended up with a 79 composite.

So I FINALLY got my results today. I'm not too happy but I don't want to get down on myself. I am too busy to do a rewrite so I knew I would stick with my current results. All of my marks are in the 80s, except math which is in the 90s. My composite was 94. I know I could do better but oh well :(

wow i felt like the cliff's verbal was really really easy...like something you did in your first grade standardized tests. however i did get a 92 in verbal, so maybe it helped!

alright, so my sister is giving me a serious complex about my scores and how theyre not good enough....shes also in dental school and the DATs are scored way different.

do you all know if these are any good?
Verbal: 436//92
Biology: 430//88
Reading:394//35>>>>>only reason im retaking it!
Quant: 428//83
Chemistry: 421//76>>never my strong point, i didnt even finish it
Composite:422/83

Writing: 4/4
this was my first time taking it
my gpa is also NOT spectacular...maybe i can get into an unaccredited school

alright, so my sister is giving me a serious complex about my scores and how theyre not good enough....shes also in dental school and the DATs are scored way different.

do you all know if these are any good?
Verbal: 436//92
Biology: 430//88
Reading:394//35>>>>>only reason im retaking it!
Quant: 428//83
Chemistry: 421//76>>never my strong point, i didnt even finish it
Composite:422/83

Writing: 4/4
this was my first time taking it
my gpa is also NOT spectacular...maybe i can get into an unaccredited school
What do you mean? There are several schools your score is competitive for. I was going to tell your sister to do something, but I didn't want to swear.

well like for real, my gpa is an embarrassment. like im too ashamed to even say it. i also have no experience, and its not like i havent tried, every semester since my freshman year, ive been trying to get a job in a pharmacy but there are always older pre-pharm students working, or there is a scheduling conflict. im talking like, all major drug store chains and all the grocery stores within a 15 mile radius of my school, and they all hate me because i go in every other week to ask if there are openings, and i still have no experience.

got my scores..i was pretty happy as i wrote it for the first time.

verbal 68 (boo)
quant 87
chem 92
reading comp 84
bio 85

89 composite.

well like for real, my gpa is an embarrassment. like im too ashamed to even say it. i also have no experience, and its not like i havent tried, every semester since my freshman year, ive been trying to get a job in a pharmacy but there are always older pre-pharm students working, or there is a scheduling conflict. im talking like, all major drug store chains and all the grocery stores within a 15 mile radius of my school, and they all hate me because i go in every other week to ask if there are openings, and i still have no experience.

have you tried volunteering at a hospital pharmacy?

yea, im in the middle of getting all my paper work in for the hospital. i needed a 2 step PPD thing, and i got my first one done, and this really old grumpy lady in our health clinic like gave me the absolute maximum time difference (3 weeks) for my second one, but its next week. hopefully they'll let me do it. also, my school does not have a university hospital, so i have to go to the county one, which is really far away, and i didnt have a car until like, 2 months ago

Has anyone from PA gotten their scores yet? It really helps when everyone says where they are from when reporting their scores...Thanks!

Have you gotten your scores yet? You are the only one from PA that I have seen reply on this thread...I live in Philly and still waiting ahhhh

Verbal - 81
Biology - 99
Quantitative - 97
Chemsitry - 97

Writing 3.0/3.0

I can't find the shaum's micro or a & p book. The only one I can find is a general bio book. Do you know where I can find it? Thanks for your help.

Verbal - 81
Biology - 99
Quantitative - 97
Chemsitry - 97

Writing 3.0/3.0

was that 4 hrs a week or 4 hrs a day?

:( I am worried about my PCAT scores not coming in yet. I live in Hawaii. My friend who lives here with me got her PCAT scores already. What the hell is going on? >_<
I'm worried. I really want to see my scores just to have a sense of closure. But I'm also really scared to find out what it is. I have a bad feeling that I did REALLY bad.

:( I am worried about my PCAT scores not coming in yet. I live in Hawaii. My friend who lives here with me got her PCAT scores already. What the hell is going on? >_<
I'm worried. I really want to see my scores just to have a sense of closure. But I'm also really scared to find out what it is. I have a bad feeling that I did REALLY bad.

Today marks the end of the 6 week since we took our August PCAT exam. If you don't get your scores in the mail today or tomorrow, Saturday; you should definitely call Pearson on Monday.

btw, stay positive. You might have done better than you thought. :)