2008-2009 University of Hawaii Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sepho

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Didn't see one, and I'm curious to see what the questions are. Anyone?
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

i guess not.
im OOS and am considering adding this school to the list.
itd be so incredible!

Members don't see this ad :)
i guess not.
im OOS and am considering adding this school to the list.
itd be so incredible!

I would advise against it. Waste of money for OOS applicants unless you have top notch stats and ties to Hawaii. They only take like 6-7 OOS people every year.

I would advise against it. Waste of money for OOS applicants unless you have top notch stats and ties to Hawaii. They only take like 6-7 OOS people every year.

Yeah, serious. I wish I was in-state. :p

Oh and tuition for OOS people is really really expensive. Plus the cost of living in Hawaii is high. Don't know if it's worth the money.

As far as getting secondaries and interviews from there, it's just a point system. They give you points for different things. So as an example, maybe anyone who has a GPA over 3.8 gets 2 points (I'm just making this up). And they look at each section of MCAT, EC's, grad school, and other things. For OOS applicants, if you get 16 or more points, you get an interview. I think for instate it's something like 8 points.

Getting an interview at JABSOM as an OOS applicant is kind of hard, but even if you get an interview, it's even harder to land the acceptance.

So bottom line, unless you really know the school and want to go there over any other school, don't apply there. Waste of money.

Oh and tuition for OOS people is really really expensive. Plus the cost of living in Hawaii is high. Don't know if it's worth the money.

As far as getting secondaries and interviews from there, it's just a point system. They give you points for different things. So as an example, maybe anyone who has a GPA over 3.8 gets 2 points (I'm just making this up). And they look at each section of MCAT, EC's, grad school, and other things. For OOS applicants, if you get 16 or more points, you get an interview. I think for instate it's something like 8 points.

Getting an interview at JABSOM as an OOS applicant is kind of hard, but even if you get an interview, it's even harder to land the acceptance.

So bottom line, unless you really know the school and want to go there over any other school, don't apply there. Waste of money.

thanks for the advice! wish i had read it before i added it this afternoon. oh well! miracles can happen.

Hey if you get an interview and you're OOS, what are the odds of getting accepted? (# of people accepted OOS divided by the # of people interviewed OOS)

Hey if you get an interview and you're OOS, what are the odds of getting accepted? (# of people accepted OOS divided by the # of people interviewed OOS)

Not that great. Probably something like 6-9 get accepted out of about 110-120 interviewees. You do the math.

Like I said before, they are more dry in terms of how they determine who gets an interview. They don't really look at quality of your EC's until after you interview.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
Any OOSers receiving secondary applications yet? Or the axe? UH verified receipt of my application on 8/25, but they have neither axed me nor invited me to fill out a secondary yet.

Like 007, I live to die another day! :ninja:

Any OOSers receiving secondary applications yet? Or the axe? UH verified receipt of my application on 8/25, but they have neither axed me nor invited me to fill out a secondary yet.

Like 007, I live to die another day! :ninja:

i received the acknowledgemtn email on 9/3. no word yet

First rejection.... didn't sting too badly but still disappointed. Thought I'd get a little extra consideration since I am from the other non-contiguous state and I did a semester at UH.

Oh well, Hawai'i was always one of those nice places to visit but living there is there is another story.

For posterity:

OOS applicant from Alaska

AMCAS submitted: 7/30
AMCAS verified: 8/22
AMCAS acknowledged: 8/25
Rejection email: 9/25

Once a rainbow warrior, always a rainbow warrior! Good luck to everyone else!:luck:

i just got rejected too. i had the feeling that was going to happen. oh well. no biggie. good luck everyone else!

for those rejected ... are you all oos?

the same essays this year.

More precisely:

A. Describe succinctly the important experience(s) in your life which began the process that motivated you to enter the career of medicine.

B. Please explain why you are applying to the University of Hawaii John A. Burns School of Medicine.

You guys are lucky your not from hawaii. I'm from here and still don't think I got great chances even with good scores. There being only one school here, that means I gotta apply everywhere else out of state, pay for tickets all over the US, and still maybe not get in. $$$$$$$. You Cali and New york people are lucky you have so many great schools in your state.

You guys are lucky your not from hawaii. I'm from here and still don't think I got great chances even with good scores. There being only one school here, that means I gotta apply everywhere else out of state, pay for tickets all over the US, and still maybe not get in. $$$$$$$. You Cali and New york people are lucky you have so many great schools in your state.

Actually, I think there's a pretty good chance of getting into JABSOM if you can establish residency with them. Last year, you had a 1 in 4 chance of getting in if you were a resident of Hawaii. I doubt California or New York has odds even close to that.

I'm in state and have an interview, but I still don't think my chances are good. In state interviews alone only have a 1 in 3 to 1 in 4 chance of getting in since 10 seats are saved for imi . . . and only 62 seats available a year . . .

usually 10 seats for imi, and 6 for OOS

could someone please post the letters of recommendation guidelines?
UH's website isn't specific at all.

anyone out there know when hawaii is going to make decisions? i'm OOS and interviewed way back in october...i think i remember them saying that they make all decisions at once in march/april?

First week of April is what they told me. And that's for everyone....Good luck!

About a month to go, goodluck everyone:)

heads up! spoke to the admissions office today ... they're hoping to send out notices next week.

g luck everyone.

thanks for sharing that info! i thought we'd hear in april, but now i can just get nervous earlier. well good luck!

heads up! spoke to the admissions office today ... they're hoping to send out notices next week.

Did they say what time next week (beginning, middle, end)? Also, how do they let you know, is it my phone, email, or snail mail?

Just called the office of student affairs. She said that they are hoping to get the emails out early next week.

Received my rejection email today. Good luck to all of you.

Post-interview. It was my second year applying too. It's a major bummer, hopefully I will get accepted to one of the other three schools I'm waiting to hear from.

sorry to hear! i wish you all the best with the rest of those schools! :)

Just got the acceptance email a few minutes ago :)
Definitely excited! Class starts so soon...
Goodluck to all of you!

got my acceptance email early this evening. the school starts on july 13...that gives me very little time if i'm going to make a life overhaul.

got my acceptance email early this evening. the school starts on july 13...that gives me very little time if i'm going to make a life overhaul.

Congratulations! Where are you 'overhaul'ing from? I have my car and a bunch of stuff to move from OC,CA, plus stuff in Washington, DC...that's going to be a costly scramble to move :eek: I'm still waiting to hear from a few east coast schools though; then I'll figure out where to ship my car :)

thanks! moving from california. this may sound really dumb, but does anyone know the tuition costs for out of state residents?

Hi guys.

I interviewed with JABSOM Jan 10-12 as an out-of-state applicant (no relatives in Hawai'i).
Got my acceptance (awesome note "Welcome to our ohana!" from the Dean) February 2nd.

GREAT SCHOOL.... though the 50K+ tuition is dreadful (in addition to the strict residency requirement).

My <3 breaks to do this, but I gotta.

Hi guys.

I interviewed with JABSOM Jan 10-12 as an out-of-state applicant (no relatives in Hawai'i).
Got my acceptance (awesome note "Welcome to our ohana!" from the Dean) February 2nd.

GREAT SCHOOL.... though the 50K+ tuition is dreadful (in addition to the strict residency requirement).

My <3 breaks to do this, but I gotta.

Yeah, the OOS tuition is really steep :eek:
Congratulations and goodluck!

Status
Not open for further replies.