2008-2009 UCSD Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Acceptable Pool Poll

Dear Applicant to the UCSD School of Medicine:

I am writing to you to determine whether or not you still have an interest in attending the UCSD School of Medicine.

Note that this e-mail is NOT an offer of acceptance, but rather an informal poll to assist us in narrowing down our pool of qualified candidates. Experience has taught us that many of you are holding other acceptances and would turn down an offer from UCSD. This e-mail will save us time when we do extend more offers in the coming weeks by eliminating those of you who are no longer considering UCSD.

What would make it simplest for us is if you edit the subject line to your response e-mail, leaving either:

YES (meaning you wish to remain under consideration)
or
NO (meaning you want to withdraw your name from consideration)

We would appreciate a response prior to Monday, May 4.

Please note that this e-mail is not meant to prompt applicants to send more information - we are not looking for anything more than a YES or NO answer.

Updates on grades and activities, honors and awards, publications and presentations are not necessary…and I definitely do not recommend that you solicit any additional recommendation letters. In fact, things that are sent in will not be considered in our evaluation of your application. The best thing you can do at this point is to simply respond to this e-mail saying that you are indeed still interested.

Members don't see this ad.

Rejected-

The Admissions Committee of the UCSD School of Medicine has completed its review of the acceptable applicants to the first year class and has made the final decision regarding applicants to be alternates for the class. I regret to inform you of their decision not to consider your application further. The Committee feels that applicants who do not have any possible chance of hearing of an acceptance from us during the summer should be encouraged to pursue other opportunities for acceptance. The task of deciding among the many qualified applicants to our medical school is difficult, and we realize that many applicants we are compelled to reject will undoubtedly become fine physicians. We trust that you will be more successful in gaining admission elsewhere and send you our best wishes for the future.

A hard copy of this message will be mailed to the address above.

On behalf of the Admissions Committee, thank you for the interest you expressed in UC San Diego.

Sincerely,

Brian Zeglen
Director of Admissions
:(

I didn't even realize that this was possible. I almost had a heart attack. I'm really sorry :( but at least there is closure.

100 people received denial letters today and the admissions office expects an unspecified number of applicants on the AP list to withdraw their application.

Riceman, where did you get this info? Are you a student working with the adcom?

Members don't see this ad :)
What do you expect? If someone is still on the waitlist they can't be 100% apologetic to people who were rejected...we are all "competition" whether we like it or not...we can feel bad but at the same time it makes sense to feel a little excited as well.

I agree that ppl feel bad and also feel a sense of excitement since they r still in the running, I think what eeeeeek meant was that if the person was goin to say s/he felt bad, at least say it with some sincerity or don't say it at all. Esp for ppl who has no acceptances such as the person who mentioned about reapp.

Good luck to the rest on the wl!

Not sure about how many people left, but don't know why they had to put everyone in the acceptable pool and then do this...

You dont seem to be that sorry to those who got the bad news, it seems like more of an obligation after you asked the question which addresses 'what are my chances now that the pool is smaller'...

Uh would you rather him say "haha better luck next time ******s?" Get bent eeeek.

Not sure about how many people left, but don't know why they had to put everyone in the acceptable pool and then do this...

You dont seem to be that sorry to those who got the bad news, it seems like more of an obligation after you asked the question which addresses 'what are my chances now that the pool is smaller'...

If I sounded insincere or offended anyone, I am sorry. I just typed up something very quickly and did not mean anything by it. As a 3X applicant myself, I understand the frustration that some may be feeling right now and can only hope the best for those that got bad news today.

On the otherhand, Im not going to try to BS anyone. Obviously, I do feel happy that Im still in the running. Most likely, I still wont get off the waitlist. Nonetheless, it means I still have a chance.

Brian has so far been the coolest/best admissions person I have talked to in this process this year.
I know it must have been an unpleasant surprise to see rejections, but perhaps Brian and the committee realized that having a big, vague "acceptable pool" may not be the best option. Maybe they decided it would be kinder as well as more efficient to narrow the pool more at this point. I know Brian and Dr. Kelly read this forum (hi!), and there were some bitter posts a while back about why we don't reject anyone post-interview... perhaps they got their wish? ;)

Best of luck to everyone, regardless of where you end up.

I know it must have been an unpleasant surprise to see rejections, but perhaps Brian and the committee realized that having a big, vague "acceptable pool" may not be the best option. Maybe they decided it would be kinder as well as more efficient to narrow the pool more at this point. I know Brian and Dr. Kelly read this forum (hi!), and there were some bitter posts a while back about why we don't reject anyone post-interview... perhaps they got their wish? ;)

Best of luck to everyone, regardless of where you end up.

Are you trying to suggest that an admissions department would actually listen to applicants complaints and try to do something about them? That is just crazy ;)

Out of curiosity...is this something they do every year or is this new this year? The whole rejecting some of the acceptable pool thing.

Are you trying to suggest that an admissions department would actually listen to applicants complaints and try to do something about them? That is just crazy ;)

Out of curiosity...is this something they do every year or is this new this year? The whole rejecting some of the acceptable pool thing.
As far as I know, this is a new thing.

Members don't see this ad :)
As far as I know, this is a new thing.

That is really cool, that they are actually changing based on comments/suggestions. Even if I were in the "rejection" pool I would have rather known yesturday instead of waiting around all summer only to find out in August that I really had no chance of getting in at all.

I know of another UC med school that reduces their version of the "acceptable pool" list prior to May 15th as well. And right now I am on pins and needles waiting to hear back from them.

That is really cool, that they are actually changing based on comments/suggestions. Even if I were in the "rejection" pool I would have rather known yesturday instead of waiting around all summer only to find out in August that I really had no chance of getting in at all.
I don't actually know what prompted them to take this action - just surmising =]

And I do agree that it's nice to have closure sooner. I was on two waitlists last year, and it was tough to not know where I was going to end up.

I don't actually know what prompted them to take this action - just surmising =]

And I do agree that it's nice to have closure sooner. I was on two waitlists last year, and it was tough to not know where I was going to end up.

Ya I'm only waiting until July...July 1st I'm making my decision and leaving it at that. I'd rather have a good month+ during the summer where I am know where I am going, so I'm mentally prepared when I get there.

So ya, hope to hear good news from UCSD before July 1st :D

I know of another UC med school that reduces their version of the "acceptable pool" list prior to May 15th as well. And right now I am on pins and needles waiting to hear back from them.

which med school? i'm waitlisted at all UC's (except UCSF) so i'd like to know!

fyi

so someone in the office also said that they will make another cut (dont know how big) probably not >100 before may 15th.
so that leave you at least 180 applicants for 60 spots or so...

fyi

so someone in the office also said that they will make another cut (dont know how big) probably not >100 before may 15th.

:scared::xf::luck:

Rejected-

The Admissions Committee of the UCSD School of Medicine has completed its review of the acceptable applicants to the first year class and has made thefinal decision regarding applicants to be alternates for the class. I regret to inform you of their decision not to consider your application further. The Committee feels that applicants who do not have any possible chance of hearing of an acceptance from us during the summer should be encouraged to pursue other opportunities for acceptance. The task of deciding among the many qualified applicants to our medical school is difficult, and we realize that many applicants we are compelled to reject will undoubtedly become fine physicians. We trust that you will be more successful in gaining admission elsewhere and send you our best wishes for the future.

A hard copy of this message will be mailed to the address above.

On behalf of the Admissions Committee, thank you for the interest you expressed in UC San Diego.

Sincerely,

Brian Zeglen
Director of Admissions
:(

fyi

Didn't they already say they made the final decisions in the rejection letter? And maybe that second cut includes all the applicants that replied "NO" in the 'are you still interested?' e-mail from Brian ...

im not sure...
maybe? someone can ask him... i dont think this alone constitutes a call.
i know they didnt used to reject anyone and this year they are rejecting ~100 and maybe more.

Didn't they already say they made the final decisions in the rejection letter? And maybe that second cut includes all the applicants that replied "NO" in the 'are you still interested?' e-mail from Brian ...

If you read it closely it says they have made the "Final decisions regarding alternates"...not that they have made completely final decisions.

I imagine if they are going to send out another batch it will merely consist of the people who said "No" when asked if they are interested.

If you read it closely it says they have made the "Final decisions regarding alternates"...not that they have made completely final decisions.

I imagine if they are going to send out another batch it will merely consist of the people who said "No" when asked if they are interested.

why would u send rejection letters to those applicants that said NO to you....

so are you guys trying to understand simply for piece of mind? Either way you have no control over it. Just sit back and enjoy the ride

Last edited:

i don't think he meant a batch of rejection letters ... since the applicants are voluntary leaving the ap, the letter may be one saying thanks for applying ...

Ya I meant more of a "thank you for considering us" letter.

I'm tend to just enjoy the ride. I'm only slightly anxious right now because I'm out of the country from May 20th to June 15th and I'd rather know BEFORE leaving, though that may be unlikely. I've already talked to them about what happens if I find out while I'm gone (I will have very little access to internet and definitely no phone) and it would just be easier if I found out before.

I withdrew my acceptance today... I hope that the spot goes to one of you, especially if UCSD is your top choice. Good luck everyone!

Hey has anybody else here heard more about their financial aid packages?

Glad to report I too received a generous financial aid package from UCSD.

silverlining1, if you run into Brian could you please ask him how many people are currently (i.e. after the initial cut and the poll of those who are still interested) on the waitlist? thank you.

silverlining1, if you run into Brian could you please ask him how many people are currently (i.e. after the initial cut and the poll of those who are still interested) on the waitlist? thank you.
Okay, but first, have you already tried calling and asking him? He's very nice, and honestly, if he doesn't tell you, he probably won't tell me.

Okay, but first, have you already tried calling and asking him? He's very nice, and honestly, if he doesn't tell you, he probably won't tell me.

Do you know (off the top of your head) if they do the waitlist business similar to the rest of the application season? I'm talking about the Monday meetings and then typically being informed on a Tuesday?

I know I can ask Brian...but sometimes I feel I have asked him enough questions already...he is probably sick of me :D

Do you know (off the top of your head) if they do the waitlist business similar to the rest of the application season? I'm talking about the Monday meetings and then typically being informed on a Tuesday?

I know I can ask Brian...but sometimes I feel I have asked him enough questions already...he is probably sick of me :D
Sorry, I don't actually have much insight into how the timing of waitlist decisions works. If I get information about acceptees off the waitlist like I did with regular admits, I will let you know when movement has started - I don't think that's too confidential. :) I don't think I should be giving you insider info like how many people are getting in, etc. - again, I know Brian wants to be nice to you all and will say as much as he can if you ask. :)

Sorry, I don't actually have much insight into how the timing of waitlist decisions works. If I get information about acceptees off the waitlist like I did with regular admits, I will let you know when movement has started - I don't think that's too confidential. :) I don't think I should be giving you insider info like how many people are getting in, etc. - again, I know Brian wants to be nice to you all and will say as much as he can if you ask. :)

Oh yah I wasn't looking for a number or anything (or names...so I can find them...just kidding ;)). Just an idea, like we had with the interview process.

I really liked knowing that they would tell us on a Tuesday every other week...because it took the "OMG When am I going to find out?" panic out of the process.

I'll just suck it up and ask him if I get really anxious...

Nope, haven't tried calling him at the risk of being moved down a few spots on the "unranked" waitlist :)

Oh cmmon now... are you going to get all official on us now silverlining? :smuggrin:

You have been really helpful to all of us here, dont leave us hanging at the last moment. Its the home stretch. I guess M.U.Z & Brian aka Dr. Wookie like rest of us dint want to bother admissions office with the same exact question anymore. You are our only reliable source outside admissions office so we all look upto you..hehe.:thumbup:

Oh well, if anyone calls in then just let rest of us know how many people are still left swimming in the pool. Cheers!

- t minus 10 days people.

Called the admissions office and was told there were around 250 people still left in the pool.

Also Brian told me that there were about 200 people still holding onto their acceptances for 125 spots (when I called) so the class is still overbooked. Kind of scary, but he said this was normal and people withdraw at the very last minute. Still seems like a lot to me though...

Anyways good luck to all of us in the pool! :luck:

Oh cmmon now... are you going to get all official on us now silverlining? :smuggrin:

You have been really helpful to all of us here, dont leave us hanging at the last moment. Its the home stretch. I guess M.U.Z & Brian aka Dr. Wookie like rest of us dint want to bother admissions office with the same exact question anymore. You are our only reliable source outside admissions office so we all look upto you..hehe.:thumbup:

Oh well, if anyone calls in then just let rest of us know how many people are still left swimming in the pool. Cheers!

- t minus 10 days people.

yikes. I guess we have to trust Brian on this, but I agree...even if half of people with acceptances withdraw, that only leaves 25 spots!

Called the admissions office and was told there were around 250 people still left in the pool.

Also Brian told me that there were about 200 people still holding onto their acceptances for 125 spots (when I called) so the class is still overbooked. Kind of scary, but he said this was normal and people withdraw at the very last minute. Still seems like a lot to me though...

Thanks for calling admissions for us.:thumbup:

You are right about class being way overbooked. 75 is a lot of people that need to withdraw before WL's would be called into play. Even then there are 250 poolers..hmm its going to be an interesting summer for sure.:luck:

That is incredibly disheartening news. Although, if Brian says this is not unusual, and according to their site they do "typically" give out 40-80 acceptances to the waitlist, we shouldn't be too worried - assuming past performance is truly indicative of future results.

I guess this confirms what I was last told, which was that they were not even beginning to look at waitlisted applicants yet, and which does its part to peel away what's left of my sanity.

Last edited:
That is incredibly disheartening news. Although, if Brian says this is not unusual, and according to their site they do "typically" give out 40-80 acceptances to the waitlist, we shouldn't be too worried - assuming past performance is truly indicative of future results.

I guess this confirms what I was last told, which was that they were not even beginning to look at waitlisted applicants yet, and which does its part to peel away what's left of my sanity.

Well i think they looked at the waitlists a little...I mean they sent rejections to some people on the waitlist last week which implies they had to at least LOOK at them.

I think they are just getting ready...hopefully so they can contact us as quickly as possible when people start withdrawing.

Well i think they looked at the waitlists a little...I mean they sent rejections to some people on the waitlist last week which implies they had to at least LOOK at them.

I think they are just getting ready...hopefully so they can contact us as quickly as possible when people start withdrawing.

That's true. Have you heard anything about a second "cut", like some people have mentioned? 100 people last time was a lot, judging by the figures given today, it doesn't seem nearly enough to truly narrow the field in the waitlist.

This doesn't make much sense to me. I understand that every year a considerable amount of people withdraw their acceptances from any school... but how on earth are they able to "predict" how many students will withdraw. You can look a recent trends, but they are not necessarily going to represent what happens this year. Lets say, for whatever reason, the stars align and only 50 withdraw. That leaves 150 people for 125 spots. Then what do they do ? " Um yes.. sorry but we didnt mean to accept you, we anticipated more spots being available.. good luck" .. That would devastate me if that happened.

I don't seen how they can accept that many more spots (75) than the available seats (125) before the May 15th deadline.

Can anyone explain this?

Maybe I'm being a little too nieve, and hoping that this news isn't accurate... Do you all blame me??

Status
Not open for further replies.