2008-2009 UCSD Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I think getting to furnish my own place will be half the fun. Plus, that way I get to keep everything. :0).

Now, I wonder when most people will start looking, cause it doesn't seem like too many need a roommate yet.
We open up a housing forum that everyone can access in early July, I believe. A lot of the action happens at this time.

Members don't see this ad.

So, besides riceman, has anyone gotten off the waitlist? Also, does anyone else know where the process goes from here? In particular, I was wondering if anyone could elaborate on the unranked waitlist system? Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
:(
So, besides riceman, has anyone gotten off the waitlist? Also, does anyone else know where the process goes from here? In particular, I was wondering if anyone could elaborate on the unranked waitlist system? Thanks

Startrek, I'm still waiting with you! Ahh! I hope there's still a chance to get some luvin' from UCSD.

Has anyone else heard anything, spoken to anyone??

please....UCSD, if you're listening! let us in, we'll be freakin' amazing!:luck::xf:

So, I talked to Brian and got some info, most of which was depressing. As of now, UCSD has given enough acceptances to fill the class. Brian told me that a couple of ppl got off the waitlist, but it was less than expected based on previous yrs data. He predicted that UCSD would probably give out 20-30 more acceptances till school starts. However, since there are still 250 ppl on the waitlist, that amounts to about a 10% chance of getting off the waitlist.

He predicted that UCSD would probably give out 20-30 more acceptances till school starts. However, since there are still 250 ppl on the waitlist, that amounts to about a 10% chance of getting off the waitlist.

Assuming that Brian means that there'll be 20-30 spots to fill, not that they'll make 20-30 offers...

not everybody who's offered a spot off the waitlist will accept it and end up matriculating at UCSD. Therefore the chances might be higher than 10%!

Assuming that Brian means that there'll be 20-30 spots to fill, not that they'll make 20-30 offers...

not everybody who's offered a spot off the waitlist will accept it and end up matriculating at UCSD. Therefore the chances might be higher than 10%!
Actually I think he did mean 20-30 offers =/ There are fewer spots than that.

Actually I think he did mean 20-30 offers =/ There are fewer spots than that.

Way to be the silverlining on that piece of news:p

Nah, I am kidding. You have been incredibly helpful throughout this whole year!

Accepted today off the waitlist!

I'm seriously considering it, though it would mean turning down an MD/PhD program for an MD [edit: not that the combined degree is "better," it's just different, and I think it's what I want to do, personally]... I'm going to talk with financial aid at UCSD, and also some admissions people (to see how possible it is to weasel into the combined degree program after the fact). Will post when I've made a final decision.

Anyways, hurray UCSD!

Last edited:

Why are you posting on this page?

I am on the waitlist for on on campus housing, but I was wondering where do most med students live off campus.

My interview host's apartment was really nice, but it was a little too far away.

Are you looking for a single or planning to get a roommate (if you need one, I might need one too!).

It seems a lot of students live near UTC, which is about 2-3 miles from campus. There are quite a few apartment complexes here. There are also condos nearby, which can be pretty cheap if a few students decide to live together. Sorry, I can't remember the name of it.

I know Lord_Jeebus told us in another thread about Hillcrest, which is about 15-20 minutes away from campus. The other area that is about that distance is Mira Mesa. You can probably find cheaper rent in these places, but the commute will be longer.

Sorry, I can't remember more details. It's 2:30 A.M. here. :0)

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys,

I just withdrew myself from the acceptable pool. Good luck!

Are you looking for a single or planning to get a roommate (if you need one, I might need one too!).

It seems a lot of students live near UTC, which is about 2-3 miles from campus. There are quite a few apartment complexes here. There are also condos nearby, which can be pretty cheap if a few students decide to live together. Sorry, I can't remember the name of it.

I know Lord_Jeebus told us in another thread about Hillcrest, which is about 15-20 minutes away from campus. The other area that is about that distance is Mira Mesa. You can probably find cheaper rent in these places, but the commute will be longer.

Sorry, I can't remember more details. It's 2:30 A.M. here. :0)

hey what's up

I am looking for a roomie. I do want to stay as close to campus as possible until I get acclimated and figure out what study environment works best for me

hey what's up

I am looking for a roomie. I do want to stay as close to campus as possible until I get acclimated and figure out what study environment works best for me

I would start with Costa Verde Village and Towers, International Gardens, Regents, Archstone, Trieste, and basically all those apartment complexes in that area. Honestly, there are way too many to remember so if you happen to make a trip down here just stick to the UTC area and you'll be set. Those all have amazing shuttle/bus services to campus and are pretty damn close to both a major mall (the UTC) and plenty of supermarkets (vons, ralphs, trader joes).

In my opinion, costa verde village is the best choice. Amazing gym, very close to three shuttle stops, walking distance from the mall, bristol farms, a starbucks, and a few fast food places.

The reason I know so much about SD is because my girlfriend went to UCSD and we would switch off every weekend to see each other. She lived in costa verde village and I thought it was a good gig.

PS What's up everybody, I will be joining you guys in a few months at UCSD. I decided to turn down UCLA since I have already been here for 4 years and feel like La Jolla beach scene is exactly what I am looking for. Look forward to meeting you all.

Wax are you aiming for on campus housing or no?

Probably not, I told them I would be moving in on July first and they already gave me an offer, but since I was hung up on the decision between UCLA and UCSD I had to turn down my offer. It was lame though because I couldn't contact my potential roommate so I said screw it, I'll just live off campus. I don't want to randomly be assigned some crazy grad student who has no respect for shared living spaces etc etc. Too many past roommate troubles. Don't want to deal with that again.

So yea off campus for me.

hey, did anybody receive a background check notification before they were accepted?

I just got accepted to one school that uses the background check and am thinking it is them but I noticed UCSD was on the list and am hoping it's really from them...

Probably just wishful thinking though...

hey, did anybody receive a background check notification before they were accepted?

I just got accepted to one school that uses the background check and am thinking it is them but I noticed UCSD was on the list and am hoping it's really from them...

Probably just wishful thinking though...

Is it the criminal background check(CBC) or something different?

I believe it would be a criminal background check. It is one of the pilot programs through AMCAS this year. I got an email from AMCAS saying that one of the schools participating in the background check program is requesting a check and I will soon be getting an email from this company that does them. It will tell me what school it is and then I can authorize the background check.

More and more I am thinking it is another school I just got into. I have to tell them by Fri if I am coming there so they are probably just getting a head start if I say yes or something. I tried to call the school to find out but I didn't get anybody.

I was hoping UCSD would do a check before they accept somebody off the waitlist. Oh well :(

I guess I will just keep checking my email 20 times a day to see if I got an acceptance...:xf:

has anybody heard about how the waitlist has been moving? Nobody has posted in awhile and it's making me nervous!

I would start with Costa Verde Village and Towers, International Gardens, Regents, Archstone, Trieste, and basically all those apartment complexes in that area. Honestly, there are way too many to remember so if you happen to make a trip down here just stick to the UTC area and you'll be set. Those all have amazing shuttle/bus services to campus and are pretty damn close to both a major mall (the UTC) and plenty of supermarkets (vons, ralphs, trader joes).

In my opinion, costa verde village is the best choice. Amazing gym, very close to three shuttle stops, walking distance from the mall, bristol farms, a starbucks, and a few fast food places.

The reason I know so much about SD is because my girlfriend went to UCSD and we would switch off every weekend to see each other. She lived in costa verde village and I thought it was a good gig.

PS What's up everybody, I will be joining you guys in a few months at UCSD. I decided to turn down UCLA since I have already been here for 4 years and feel like La Jolla beach scene is exactly what I am looking for. Look forward to meeting you all.

awesome...thanks so much

I just got an acceptance call today, I have 7-10 days to accept but I am basically 90% sure I'm coming. It was kind of funny because I was joking earlier today about how crazy it would be to find out now since I am moving out of my apartment right now planning on going to LA (Been searching for apartments etc...).

Does anyone know any apartment complexes near the school that have hardware flooring at least in the living space (Doesn't need to be in the bedrooms)? My girlfriend is an artist and so we don't really like carpet cause it can get messy :D (Paint + Carpet = Bad).

I just got an acceptance call today, I have 7-10 days to accept but I am basically 90% sure I'm coming. It was kind of funny because I was joking earlier today about how crazy it would be to find out now since I am moving out of my apartment right now planning on going to LA (Been searching for apartments etc...).

Does anyone know any apartment complexes near the school that have hardware flooring at least in the living space (Doesn't need to be in the bedrooms)? My girlfriend is an artist and so we don't really like carpet cause it can get messy :D (Paint + Carpet = Bad).

Congratulations DrWookie!!! Hopefully there are still a few more spots left. The agonizing wait continues.

Congrats DrWookie. If you dont mind, could you elaborate on your background/profile. Im just trying to figure out how this unranked waitlist works. Thanks

Congrats DrWookie. If you dont mind, could you elaborate on your background/profile. Im just trying to figure out how this unranked waitlist works. Thanks

I'm out of state (oregon), white male age 22 (as of today actually, so it was kind of like an early birthday present), 3.95+ GPA (I don't remember it exactly), 36Q MCAT (balanced 12 in each), ~3 years of consistent research experience (full time summers and ~20 hours a week during the school year), 2 papers published, poster presented at an international conference, 1 and a half years of volunteering in the emergency room of my local hospital (like 6 hours a week or so), some shadowing experience (my dad is a physician). I'm also a musician and studied abroad in London on a Fine Arts program, where I also worked at a museum for the semester...I can't think of anything else.

As for UCSD, I interviewed January 6th and I expressed my interest after my interview and after being wait listed (and one last time before the May deadline as an update letter).

Hey DrWookie, I'd recommend the playmor apartment complex off of arriba (on Camino Tranquilo). They have hardwood floors downstairs in the living area/kitchen with a GIANT mirror so I think it would be perfect for your artist girl. Bus service here isn't as convenient as living a little closer to the UTC mall.

They're pretty affordable too, however it's not meant for just two people. There's a bedroom with it's own bathroom upstairs (presumably the master) and two other rooms which I guess you could use as an office and a guest room. Anyway congrats man and good luck down in La Jolla. You'll love it.

Hey DrWookie, I'd recommend the playmor apartment complex off of arriba (on Camino Tranquilo). They have hardwood floors downstairs in the living area/kitchen with a GIANT mirror so I think it would be perfect for your artist girl. Bus service here isn't as convenient as living a little closer to the UTC mall.

They're pretty affordable too, however it's not meant for just two people. There's a bedroom with it's own bathroom upstairs (presumably the master) and two other rooms which I guess you could use as an office and a guest room. Anyway congrats man and good luck down in La Jolla. You'll love it.

Thanks for the advice, we'll check them out. We are looking for probably a two bedroom so that she can have a dedicated room...that or an oversized one bedroom (with a large living area) would be fine also.

For those who have been accepted for awhile:

What are the health requirements before school starts? I was previously planning to go to USC and they required proof of immunity (not just of vaccination) so I was going to have to get a bunch of blood work...not a big deal but something I'd rather schedule where I live instead of having to do it when I move (which is in like 2 weeks)...since I just got accepted I'm not sure when I'll receive my paperwork.

I sure hope the housing forum goes up soon. Any guys still looking for a roommate?

Hi guys,

I just got cut from the waitlist this morning, so they are still narrowing it down. The email said it was the final decision for alternates. Good luck to those who are still in the running.

Same here. If you're still on the wl then that may be a good sign. Good luck everyone!

got cut from the waitlist today....oh well UCLA it isn't a bad back up lol

So, this is the info I got from Brian:
There was another cut of the waitlist and he thinks that there will probably be another 10 offers given out. However, the waitlist still remains long.

I sure hope the housing forum goes up soon. Any guys still looking for a roommate?

yeah hi...I am actually going down to San Diego today to take the campus tour and look at several apts

Still hoping there's a spot for me... :xf:

ACCEPTED 8/3!! See you all in a few weeks :love:

congrats maymee! still hoping...
do you think you could elaborate a little on your stats so we can get an idea of what she is looking for? i heard there was 1 spot left in the class! this is frustrating...

Does anybody know what the scrubs are like 2nd year? I had already bought some for my other school before I got accepted and don't know if I should keep them.

Status
Not open for further replies.