2008-2009 OHSU Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry guys, I have some bad news. I just went over to the admissions office and they said they are giving out the waitlist numbers that are higher than the ones given out yesterday, as well as sending out rejections. Hope they're wrong, but doesn't sound good.

Members don't see this ad.

cool (well not cool, but you know what I mean). he's pretty good about responding to emails, which makes me happy. do you think it would be presumptuous to ask if him if i've made the short list (if he even has it)?

He does have the short list - I don't think it would be presumptious, if you are still in consideration for the combined degree program this late in the game... I say go for it. He's really nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
took the afternoon off and swung by the office of admissions. They told me a letter was mailed to my home this morning. **** this archaic snail mail crap. i'm super envious for everyone who gets in. wish you all the best

dude...they still haven't accepted anyone yet...at least anyone that has posted on here? anyone been accepted off the hold list?

dude...they still haven't accepted anyone yet...at least anyone that has posted on here? anyone been accepted off the hold list?
I'm with you ballerina, if the previous poster spoke with Lori, I am inclined to trust her, I think she knows what's up.

Me too. So since Dr. S has given out his 6 spots, does that mean the 4 who haven't yet committed have already been emailed too?

THIS IS TORTURE.

I'm with you ballerina, if the previous poster spoke with Lori, I am inclined to trust her, I think she knows what's up.

took the afternoon off and swung by the office of admissions. They told me a letter was mailed to my home this morning. **** this archaic snail mail crap. i'm super envious for everyone who gets in. wish you all the best

I, too, took time out of my day to swing up to the admissions office, where I received the gut punch that a letter was mailed, meaning OHSU isn't happening for this Oregon native and OHSU volunteer, grad student, and teaching assistant. Ouch. Thank goodness for other acceptances....time to move on! It is still a stinging slap in the face.

Couple questions, when you went to the admissions office did they tell you their final decision or just that it was in the mail? If is was the latter then couldn't it be an acceptance or have all acceptances been given by now? Just curious, I am in the same position as everyone who has not received an update since the "hold" email. Hoping I still have a chance! Thanks!

Couple questions, when you went to the admissions office did they tell you their final decision or just that it was in the mail? If is was the latter then couldn't it be an acceptance or have all acceptances been given by now? Just curious, I am in the same position as everyone who has not received an update since the "hold" email. Hoping I still have a chance! Thanks!

Nope, they told me the outcome, that my rank was not high enough to get the waitlist. Acceptances get an email. It is true that none seem to have been given out yet, so don't give up hope, but a letter from OHSU only means bad news, I'm afraid. I hope you don't get one. Good luck!

Thank you for the response. I am not very hopeful at this point. I was really hoping to stay in Oregon. Looks like I will be heading to the East Coast for school. Best of luck to you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for your post medipost- it's nice to know there are other "non-traditionals" out there who actually realize their dreams eventually :)
Congrats!

Thank you for the kind words. And my warmest wishes for future success to all of you who did not get in this year.

Last edited:
But through the process, I definitely appreciate the value of OHSU, and realize that there are many other great schools out there. However, like many Oregonian premeds I feel the need for more options as far as med schools in Oregon go (Washington DC has something like 7 in one city!).

I totally feel your pain about there not being enough med schools in your state...I'm from Cali and there are thousands of us, but only a few (very competitive) medical schools....sigh...

I totally feel your pain about there not being enough med schools in your state...I'm from Cali and there are thousands of us, but only a few (very competitive) medical schools....sigh...

i feel your pain :(

<10% of the cali residents get into a UC. that's just absurd.

anyhow, good luck to those of us who haven't heard and/or for those of us who just don't want to call in and find out. i'll just wait for the letter...

Nope, they told me the outcome, that my rank was not high enough to get the waitlist. Acceptances get an email. It is true that none seem to have been given out yet, so don't give up hope, but a letter from OHSU only means bad news, I'm afraid. I hope you don't get one. Good luck!

Are you an Oregon resident?

Are you an Oregon resident?
Yes, Oregon resident, non-trad (30), from a rural, underserved area, master's degree from OHSU in medical informatics, strong recs, plenty of EC's.....just goes to show you that one can never be sure. Anyhow, off to school on the East Coast.

What kind of mutant freaks are we up against for admit to OHSU?!?!?!

I mean that in the best possible way as I eat my sour grapes.

Yes, Oregon resident, non-trad (30), from a rural, underserved area, master's degree from OHSU in medical informatics, strong recs, plenty of EC's.....just goes to show you that one can never be sure. Anyhow, off to school on the East Coast.

heartbreaking... at least you're in somewhere and i am sure it'll all work out for the better. i am a firm believer that dynamic experiences = well-rounded physician.

What kind of mutant freaks are we up against for admit to OHSU?!?!?!

I mean that in the best possible way as I eat my sour grapes.

I feel you! I know. I've heard it many time, but OHSU LOVES the re-applicants. I give them credit for the courage to re-apply, but I guess I feel like I'm too old to tread water for a few years as I keep trying to play their random game. I'd rather seize the opportunities in front of me than waste time so I can stay in one place. Four years goes fast, and diverse experience is good. Not what I wanted, but I'll make the best of it. Nobody said medicine is easy!

Gah, I leave for the airport in two hours--before the snail mail comes--and I still haven't received an email. If I don't get an email I guess I'll have to wait two weeks to read the potential letter then.

no news is good news (so far). no snail mail letter today. it doesn't really much at this point, though, except for the fact that i have at least one more day of not being "rejected" :confused:

Last edited:

That is terrible. I would be VERY upset if I were you. It is a total slap in the face IMO that they seem to accept a ton of OOS students and reject people from the very places that they claim to want to serve. How do they expect to persuade people from the Portland area and OOS to practice in rural Oregon when they have no connections to those locations.

I know students who have been rejected that have great stats/ec's/and are from rural locations while I have seen some friends who totally don't deserve to go (Less than 29 MCAT, 3.5ish, basic ec's) get in outright.

EDIT: I take that back those people may deserve to go...but not over the better applicants I have described.

That is terrible. I would be VERY upset if I were you. It is a total slap in the face IMO that they seem to accept a ton of OOS students and reject people from the very places that they claim to want to serve. How do they expect to persuade people from the Portland area and OOS to practice in rural Oregon when they have no connections to those locations.

I know students who have been rejected that have great stats/ec's/and are from rural locations while I have seen some friends who totally don't deserve to go (Less than 29 MCAT, 3.5ish, basic ec's) get in outright.

EDIT: I take that back those people may deserve to go...but not over the better applicants I have described.

Yes, I know. I graduated from Stanford, have a 34S, did full-time grad work + prereqs at the same time (while working), and thought I had a pretty good overcoming adversity story. My family is all still in rural parts of Oregon (as in towns with one stoplight rural)
But, the way I see it, some of this is random. I can be bitter, or move on and become a better doctor for it. I guess if I wanted to kiss up for another few years, I might get to go to schol here, but is that really want I want to do with my life? Nope. After being at this school for 2 years, I've seen plenty of double talk. There are some wonderful people here, and I would still do a residency at OHSU, but what they say and their actions rarely align.

If I were you, I'd just call Katy to check on the status of your application. She's really nice: 503 418 1619. Good luck!

Gah, I leave for the airport in two hours--before the snail mail comes--and I still haven't received an email. If I don't get an email I guess I'll have to wait two weeks to read the potential letter then.

No dice...apparently third time isn't a charm. Congrats to everyone who made it in; I'll be thinking about you while I soak up the sun in San Diego, studying Public Health :)

No dice...apparently third time isn't a charm. Congrats to everyone who made it in; I'll be thinking about you while I soak up the sun in San Diego, studying Public Health :)

Did you call them or was there a letter in the snail mail?

Just curious- are you going to apply again? I hope so- I'm going to apply again for this next year which will be my third time...do you (or anyone) think that applying to fewer schools this time will hurt my chances (I wast thinking like 5)?

For those applicants that are going to apply again, I really believe that almost the entire decision at OHSU is made based upon the interview. between all of us, grades, scores and EC's pretty much cancel out. when preparing for the next AMCAS app, I think it is most useful to recognize how much OHSU weighs the interview (and it's correlate - the essays) in the decision making process. I think they are fairly unique in the medical school community, in that regard. one of the biggest things you can take away from working in a hospital or shadowing physician is learning how to communicate about yourself and your work with medical professionals. this is how i think one can best prepare for the interview.

Hi reezer, I'm not an expert or anything but I think 5 is really risky, unless you're sure that you're going to get into your state school (sorry I haven't looked at your previous posts or anything to see where you're from). Even if you apply really early and have rockstar stats & ECs, I think 5 is too much of a gamble, given how much of a crapshoot this process can sometimes be. I'd say minimum 10-15. Just my 2 cents though.

Just curious- are you going to apply again? I hope so- I'm going to apply again for this next year which will be my third time...do you (or anyone) think that applying to fewer schools this time will hurt my chances (I wast thinking like 5)?

Hear hear. I absolutely agree with that analysis. OHSU overly weights the interview and what they consider "life skills." You may have done allot of things, but being able to effectively communicate that really pays off when it comes to an OHSU acceptance. For those of you who are interested in improving your ability to interview and public speak there is a group known as ToastMasters that meets all over the nation and they have a chapter here at OHSU. I think more than any other experience you could obtain in the next year, the ability to speak and present yourself could be the most valuable. Good luck all.

I agree with this 100%!!! I think my interviews are what really did it for me. How you communicate yourself in person is so, so important, especially for OHSU I think. And the good thing is that that's something that can easily be worked on.

For those applicants that are going to apply again, I really believe that almost the entire decision at OHSU is made based upon the interview. between all of us, grades, scores and EC's pretty much cancel out. when preparing for the next AMCAS app, I think it is most useful to recognize how much OHSU weighs the interview (and it's correlate - the essays) in the decision making process. I think they are fairly unique in the medical school community, in that regard. one of the biggest things you can take away from working in a hospital or shadowing physician is learning how to communicate about yourself and your work with medical professionals. this is how i think one can best prepare for the interview.

I agree with this 100%!!! I think my interviews are what really did it for me. How you communicate yourself in person is so, so important, especially for OHSU I think. And the good thing is that that's something that can easily be worked on.

This is really great advice....unless you just happen to be unlucky enough to get assigned interviewers who show up late, are distracted and inattentive, to the point that they have to call you 2 weeks later because they forgot if they asked you certain things during the interview. Then it's just bad luck.

With all due respect to those who got in, all of us have hospital-related experience, unique activities, and are quite articulate (and hopefully passionate about pursuing medicine). There is an element of chemistry and luck, as there are more qualified, deserving applicants than spots. Personally, I had weak undergrad grades, but 9 years of "life experience", plenty of career recognition for strong communication skills, and found my interview experience at other schools to be the clincher for outright acceptance. I went in humble, but confident I could contribute in unique ways. That it didn't go this way at OHSU was a surprise, to say the least, but life is unpredictable

The lesson is, always apply broadly....things often don't turn out as planned.

This is really great advice....unless you just happen to be unlucky enough to get assigned interviewers who show up late, are distracted and inattentive, to the point that they have to call you 2 weeks later because they forgot if they asked you certain things during the interview. Then it's just bad luck.

With all due respect to those who got in, all of us have hospital-related experience, unique activities, and are quite articulate (and hopefully passionate about pursuing medicine). There is an element of chemistry and luck, as there are more qualified, deserving applicants than spots. Personally, I had weak undergrad grades, but 9 years of "life experience", plenty of career recognition for strong communication skills, and found my interview experience at other schools to be the clincher for outright acceptance. I went in humble, but confident I could contribute in unique ways. That it didn't go this way at OHSU was a surprise, to say the least, but life is unpredictable

The lesson is, always apply broadly....things often don't turn out as planned.

I cannot agree with you more on this point.

True. True. Not to say at all that there isn't an element of just plain ole bad luck and randomness. That is part of the game indeed!

Hi reezer, I'm not an expert or anything but I think 5 is really risky, unless you're sure that you're going to get into your state school (sorry I haven't looked at your previous posts or anything to see where you're from). Even if you apply really early and have rockstar stats & ECs, I think 5 is too much of a gamble, given how much of a crapshoot this process can sometimes be. I'd say minimum 10-15. Just my 2 cents though.

Well I agree with what you've said here, but I'm very focused on getting into OHSU, I'd be tempted to apply only at OHSU, but I would (like you said) like the back up of other potential interviews and I've heard that the schools you apply to know how many schools you've applied to overall.
I've heard that it looks bad to apply to only one school because it looks like you're either not serious or that you aren't willing to compromise a little for what you want.
I just get kind of sick when I think about how much money I've spent applying to schools that perhaps I wasn't all that interested in or rejected me right off the bat, and was hoping to minimize the leakage of money and honestly work- I'm not sure I have the motivation to write 100 more secondary essays this time around. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get in, but I also want to be efficient.

Wow, I'm really sorry you didn't get accepted. That's really odd...Maybe you happened to look like an ex-wife of one of your interviewers...

I guess things work in mysterious ways--I hope it's for the best!

Since you're leaving the country, if you can get through to the Admissions Office, I think they'd entertain your situation and tell you over the phone. Enjoy your trip!

Yep. You're still going to have to apply broadly. The biggest things to do when you reapply are:

1) Apply early
2) Apply broadly
3) Make significant improvements to your AMCAS (be sure you've done some significant things you can include on your new AMCAS; when you send it in update letters it doesn't help very much)

Best of luck! If you have any questions about re-applying, feel free to PM me.

If you call they will tell you your status. But the question is, are you ready to hear it? I thought I was, apparently not.

He does have the short list - I don't think it would be presumptious, if you are still in consideration for the combined degree program this late in the game... I say go for it. He's really nice.

so I called the admissions office, talked to Katy, I asked her if we would ever find out where in the "unranked" hold pool we stood for the dual degree, but she says they don't release that info. phooey. more waiting.

Wow, I'm really sorry you didn't get accepted. That's really odd...Maybe you happened to look like an ex-wife of one of your interviewers...

I guess things work in mysterious ways--I hope it's for the best!

Thanks. Of course, that must have been it :) It was definitely a surprise, but yes, things happen for a reason. I have no regrets....I put myself out there for who I was and did everything I possibly could to be a strong applicant. In the end, you want to go to a school that wants you. I'll be back to Oregon, hopefully in four more years. Until then, new adventures await!

Very understandable. I'm 99.99999% sure though that other med schools do NOT know neither how many nor what other specific schools you've applied to. I'd call AMCAS to double check but I'm almost positive this is not the case. In fact, I'd be willing to bet on it. Like a cookie or something. :)

Well I agree with what you've said here, but I'm very focused on getting into OHSU, I'd be tempted to apply only at OHSU, but I would (like you said) like the back up of other potential interviews and I've heard that the schools you apply to know how many schools you've applied to overall.
I've heard that it looks bad to apply to only one school because it looks like you're either not serious or that you aren't willing to compromise a little for what you want.
I just get kind of sick when I think about how much money I've spent applying to schools that perhaps I wasn't all that interested in or rejected me right off the bat, and was hoping to minimize the leakage of money and honestly work- I'm not sure I have the motivation to write 100 more secondary essays this time around. I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get in, but I also want to be efficient.

I have also heard that the interview plays a huge role, which makes me confused as far as how mine went. By the end of one, he said I'd be a great fit for OHSU and would be pleased to see me here. Sounds pretty good, but.....rejected. (My other interview went well too)

Very understandable. I'm 99.99999% sure though that other med schools do NOT know neither how many nor what other specific schools you've applied to. I'd call AMCAS to double check but I'm almost positive this is not the case. In fact, I'd be willing to bet on it. Like a cookie or something. :)

:)

Last edited:
I think med schools do know what other schools you've applied to based on two experiences:

-I remember during my interview at OHSU a few years ago, the interviewer had a copy of my AMCAS application and I remember seeing the last pages where it lists all the schools you've applied to.

-A friend of mine with multiple acceptances got an e-mail from one of the schools listing the other schools he has been accepted to and asking him to make a decision by May 15.
AAMC has a list of people with multiple acceptances, that's how the schools find out where else you're holding a spot after March 15th.

so I called the admissions office, talked to Katy, I asked her if we would ever find out where in the "unranked" hold pool we stood for the dual degree, but she says they don't release that info. phooey. more waiting.

Dang - Well, I figure we'll find out soon-ish. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.