2008-2009 OHSU Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
When you say prerequisites, do you mean something other than what they have listed on their MD admissions page: for example, the fact that genetics and biochemistry are required?

nope, that's exactly what I meant. probably nothing you didn't already know from the interview day and their website, but worth looking at one more time in case anything is ambiguous.

Members don't see this ad.

nope, that's exactly what I meant. probably nothing you didn't already know from the interview day and their website, but worth looking at one more time in case anything is ambiguous.

That's a good point. It would be bad to get accepted and then find out you are missing a required class. I wonder if OHSU accepts people who are missing required courses?
Hopefully OHSU will have another significant movement on their waitlist sometime this week. It would be so nice to be able to stop looking at the OHSU site 10 times per day. For now, the wait goes on...

I wonder if OHSU accepts people who are missing required courses?

Yes, they do - I was accepted without having taken genetics and biochemistry. You just need to make up the missing coursework before you begin in August.

Members don't see this ad :)
What color would you call that? Lilac?

Someone at OHSU admissions has an overactive schadenfreude gland.

What color would you call that? Lilac?

Someone at OHSU admissions has an overactive schadenfreude gland.
What is a schadenfreude gland? I think they are changing the color to let people know they are working on the waitlist and probably to get people to stop calling them. I noticed they made a movement on the alternate list shortly after adding the yellow highlighting, so hopefully the change of color is a sign that some more movement is about to occur as well. Best of luck.

For what it's worth, I'm going to try and build a bot tonight in the form of a mac widget that will send an e-mail when the number changes. Given the unsteady progress, it's seeming like I may need to dust off the programming skills for this fall.

I'll post it here when/if I get it done.

For what it's worth, I'm going to try and build a bot tonight in the form of a mac widget that will send an e-mail when the number changes. Given the unsteady progress, it's seeming like I may need to dust off the programming skills for this fall.

I'll post it here when/if I get it done.

That sounds interesting. So if the number changes, this program will send an email to your personal account? That would be really nice because I could stop checking OHSU's site every 20 minutes :) Sounds like you have a calling to be a computer programmer.

Man this is just not the year for waitlist movement. We are now at #17. Supposedly the rumor is that nationally all waitlists are moving very very slowly. I'm a bit curious to why this is.

That sounds interesting. So if the number changes, this program will send an email to your personal account? That would be really nice because I could stop checking OHSU's site every 20 minutes :) Sounds like you have a calling to be a computer programmer.

Calling? Good Lord, no. I hate it more than brussels sprouts, and just slightly less than working fast food.

Man this is just not the year for waitlist movement. We are now at #17. Supposedly the rumor is that nationally all waitlists are moving very very slowly. I'm a bit curious to why this is.

I believe that waitlists must be moving more slowly because of the economy. When jobs are lacking, more people choose to go to school, which means record numbers probably applied to medical school for this year. The result of more people applying then means that probabilistically, more people were accepted to fewer schools than they would have with less competition, and so fewer people even have the opportunity to reject an offer and go to a different school. It's deceiving because you would, or might think that when the economy is depressed, more people would be choosing their home state school or the more affordable school, and thus given OHSU's high tuition costs comparatively speaking, more people given the choice would not choose to go to OHSU or other more expensive or less convenient schools, yet because they have fewer or just one option, people are forced to go to the school they were accepted to or no school at all. However, UW's medical school is one exception I've seen because they have gone through more alternates than they usually do. So you never know what could happen, but being realistic at this point, given how slow OHSU's alternate list is moving, I think the number they get to this year, sadly, is going to be quite low compared to the past several years: my off the wall guess at this point is that they will only get to about 35. Any one else agree or disagree? For everyone who is waiting on a particular school, be it OHSU or some other school, I am with you. I'm still waiting, and I'm praying every day for some quick action because the only other school I have been accepted to starts in the 3rd week of July and is located on the other side of the united states. I have no idea how I would work things out because I wouldn't have a place to live and I don't think student housing is an option for medical students at the school. On top of that, I already have a place in Portland and have already paid rent so I can keep it, but fortunately the manager there was kind enough to do a short term initial lease. I think the best thing for all of us to do right now is to not worry and try to do something fun. I think I'm going to try to do some trail running this week when I'm not working, and I'm going to try to keep my phone, which is my only current Internet source, away from my sight a little more. Lately, I've been checking OHSU's site and this blog way too much, and I'm sure that I'm not the only one. Everything will work out, might not be what we expected, but it will all be worth it in the end. Good luck to everyone.

I believe that waitlists must be moving more slowly because of the economy. When jobs are lacking, more people choose to go to school, which means record numbers probably applied to medical school for this year. The result of more people applying then means that probabilistically, more people were accepted to fewer schools than they would have with less competition, and so fewer people even have the opportunity to reject an offer and go to a different school. It's deceiving because you would, or might think that when the economy is depressed, more people would be choosing their home state school or the more affordable school, and thus given OHSU's high tuition costs comparatively speaking, more people given the choice would not choose to go to OHSU or other more expensive or less convenient schools, yet because they have fewer or just one option, people are forced to go to the school they were accepted to or no school at all. However, UW's medical school is one exception I've seen because they have gone through more alternates than they usually do. So you never know what could happen, but being realistic at this point, given how slow OHSU's alternate list is moving, I think the number they get to this year, sadly, is going to be quite low compared to the past several years: my off the wall guess at this point is that they will only get to about 35. Any one else agree or disagree? For everyone who is waiting on a particular school, be it OHSU or some other school, I am with you. I'm still waiting, and I'm praying every day for some quick action because the only other school I have been accepted to starts in the 3rd week of July and is located on the other side of the united states. I have no idea how I would work things out because I wouldn't have a place to live and I don't think student housing is an option for medical students at the school. On top of that, I already have a place in Portland and have already paid rent so I can keep it, but fortunately the manager there was kind enough to do a short term initial lease. I think the best thing for all of us to do right now is to not worry and try to do something fun. I think I'm going to try to do some trail running this week when I'm not working, and I'm going to try to keep my phone, which is my only current Internet source, away from my sight a little more. Lately, I've been checking OHSU's site and this blog way too much, and I'm sure that I'm not the only one. Everything will work out, might not be what we expected, but it will all be worth it in the end. Good luck to everyone.

Thanks for the insight n8tureman!! That was very helpful.

I was just accepted on the last batch of acceptances. What a relief. Perfect timing as well. I just moved into my apartment on the hill, though I won't be living there until August. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Nice n8tureman!! That must feel amazing! Anyways, for everyone else the waiting list is now officially at 30. Thats 13 spots in 48 hours!! Heres to hoping for some record breaking movement in the next 6 weeks...:rolleyes:.

I was just accepted on the last batch of acceptances. What a relief. Perfect timing as well. I just moved into my apartment on the hill, though I won't be living there until August. Thanks and good luck to everyone!

Congrats man! If you don't mind me asking, were you #30? I'm just wondering if there are currently more spots available, or if you may have accepted the only open position.

Congrats man! If you don't mind me asking, were you #30? I'm just wondering if there are currently more spots available, or if you may have accepted the only open position.

Wow! What a jump. I was clearly off in my estimate that OHSU would only get to number 35 this year. It appears they just had a slow start compared to previous years...much slower! I was actually #21 and should note that I received the email the day before they updated their website, so it is possible that they are already beyond #30. Great news. What number do other people viewing this blog have? I will pray for all of you hoping for an acceptance. May the force be with you all :))))

Wow! What a jump. I was clearly off in my estimate that OHSU would only get to number 35 this year. It appears they just had a slow start compared to previous years...much slower! I was actually #21 and should note that I received the email the day before they updated their website, so it is possible that they are already beyond #30. Great news. What number do other people viewing this blog have? I will pray for all of you hoping for an acceptance. May the force be with you all :))))

I'm #31....haven't heard anything yet. :lame:

Yeah yeah!! Congrats Childoftheatom!! You must feel pretty awesome right now!

Yeah yeah!! Congrats Childoftheatom!! You must feel pretty awesome right now!

Yeah definitely, I'm sooooo glad that things worked out - OHSU seems like a really great place to be. I hope the list keeps moving, and quicker too!

quick question guys...for the first question (evaluating success), was anyone's around 250 words? i dont really feel the need to write too much.

quick question guys...for the first question (evaluating success), was anyone's around 250 words? i dont really feel the need to write too much.

I think mine was longer (around the limit). Just make sure you answer the question completely. 250 seems pretty short, but if you feel like you answered adequately then that should be fine. Sometimes it's good to be succinct.

Mine was around 300 or so. Brevity is the soul of wit.

How about this: "Success is not being on the frigging alternate list in mid-July"?

Does anybody here have any insight about living off the hill and using the tram to get to school? What happens if you're on the hill and miss the last tram, are there ways to get back even really late at night? Is there a bus route that includes the south waterfront campus as well as the school on the hill? If there is, does anybody know when the last bus is?

Childoftheatom,
You can (and should) buy an annual Trimet pass once you get started with school. It's a little over $300/yr, and they give you a sticker on your badge. Those passes are normally over $1200...you can ride any bus, the MAX (light rail), and the streetcar all over the metro area. You'll discover that OHSU is big on nickel-diming you....$100/month to park your car. Few students can afford that. And they *WILL* ticket you heavily, and the parking Nazis can make your life a living hell. Take from someone who's been there.

The #8 bus goes up to Marquam hill every 15-30 min, around the clock. It drops you off in downtown, but if you're living on the South waterfront, you can get on the streetcar a block or 2 away. Streetcar usually runs until about midnight, but you can have a decent wait at night. The south waterfront neighborhood is pretty, but you might be better off closer to downtown, from a convenience perspective.

I hope this helps.....most people do live off the hill, but you'll just need to be prepared that public transportation requires a little extra effort. We're lucky Portland prides itself on it...you can always bring a bike on the bus or the tram, as an alternative for getting back down the hill.
Good luck!

Does anybody here have any insight about living off the hill and using the tram to get to school? What happens if you're on the hill and miss the last tram, are there ways to get back even really late at night? Is there a bus route that includes the south waterfront campus as well as the school on the hill? If there is, does anybody know when the last bus is?

The tram schedule is pretty nice during the week - it runs from early morning until about 9:30 at night. On the weekends, it runs much more sparsely.

It is definitely possible to get from the hill to the waterfront by bus. The 35 and 36 (I believe) run right by the tram, and you can transfer to the 8 from both of them. Also, as the last poster said, you can take the 8 into downtown and then hop on the streetcar. Generally, the 8 runs until about 12 or 12:30 in the morning, but once you get past the evening rush hour it doesn't always run every 15 minutes (I've had to wait as long as 45 minutes for it in the past). Unfortunately, many of the smaller bus lines stop running much earlier, some as early at 8pm. If you miss the bus (literally), there is also a "goat trail" that winds down the hill to Naito Parkway (right near the Ross Island bridge). You can walk from there to the waterfront, and the whole trek should take you less than 30 minutes.

I think you were probably more correct than not N8tureman. With each day now, the chance of anything more than light movement now becomes less of a reality. The beginning of orientation is rapidly approaching. Good luck everyone with your reapps!

I think you were probably more correct than not N8tureman. With each day now, the chance of anything more than light movement now becomes less of a reality. The beginning of orientation is rapidly approaching. Good luck everyone with your reapps!
A sad truth. They just moved to 32 after being on 31 for quite a while. Having a year off if you just graduated from college could be a great experience to explore and find new opportunities while in the process of reapplying which should also be easier the second time around. Even if you didn't recently graduate, if you are committed to this field, then now is the time to gain more experience, whether that be volunteering, interning, or working in healthcare. Best of luck, and to those who are passionate about this, don't give up this easily. Maybe I will get the chance to be a second year mentor to one of those reapplying for next year.

A sad truth. They just moved to 32 after being on 31 for quite a while. Having a year off if you just graduated from college could be a great experience to explore and find new opportunities while in the process of reapplying which should also be easier the second time around. Even if you didn't recently graduate, if you are committed to this field, then now is the time to gain more experience, whether that be volunteering, interning, or working in healthcare. Best of luck, and to those who are passionate about this, don't give up this easily. Maybe I will get the chance to be a second year mentor to one of those reapplying for next year.[/QUOTE]

Inspiring words- my hopes of the waitinglist going to number 130 this year have been very low from the beginning- but this does seem extremely low...32? sheesh!
Bummer thing is, working on getting apps in now for 2010 doesn't leave much time to add to the application. Hopefully the commitment to another round of torture is experience enough.

Inspiring words- my hopes of the waitinglist going to number 130 this year have been very low from the beginning- but this does seem extremely low...32? sheesh!
Bummer thing is, working on getting apps in now for 2010 doesn't leave much time to add to the application. Hopefully the commitment to another round of torture is experience enough.

I would suggest figuring out what you will be doing for the next year as soon as you can. Get some really solid stuff lined up (travel, clinics, research, whatever). Some secondaries lend themselves to including information about your future plans (if you haven't already filled 'em all out). Alternatively, you could always send an update letter later on to fill them in.

It appears that I cannot pronounce the list dead after all. Agonal movement present. 32 to 34. Breathe, list, breathe :oops:

Man...I don't know how to feel about this anymore. It would be so dang stressful to finally get in like a week or so before classes begin.

Status
Not open for further replies.