2008-2009 Letter of Recommendation Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I have been asked by a professor to him a sample letter of recommendation. What should the heading look like? And to whom should the letter be addressed to? Does "to whom it may concern" suffice? Thanks!

No need for a heading. Just a standard business letter type. TWIMC is fine. Get the prof to put the letter on official school letterhead though. Some schools require it.

EDIT: "Dear Admissions Committee" is nice, too.

Members don't see this ad.

I have been asked by a professor to him a sample letter of recommendation. What should the heading look like? And to whom should the letter be addressed to? Does "to whom it may concern" suffice? Thanks!

Get it from a different professor who's more familiar with writing letters for medical school applications ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the helpful answers! I have another one for you: UNECOM requires an LOR from a "non-academic professional." Does this just mean someone who is not a professor of mine? Will a letter from a DO fulfill this requirement?

Thanks for the helpful answers! I have another one for you: UNECOM requires an LOR from a "non-academic professional." Does this just mean someone who is not a professor of mine? Will a letter from a DO fulfill this requirement?

Yes and yes. Other people, such as employers, would qualify too.

for the schools i noticed you only need 2 letters or so.. but for some reason i had read about multiple letters that you needed (maybe i just thot this up in my head) so i requested a bunch of lors.. would i still be able to send them all to the schools even though they only require two?

Ok, I'm having a bit of a problem and need some help. I am currently finishing up my last two pre-reqs after being out of school for two years I know I need two science LORs and I have two science professors this semester. The only problem is my physics professor is pretty bad at spelling. He mispells at least 5 words per lecture (he writes "angel" for angle and "Wensday" quite often). I'm afraid that he'll do the same in my letter. I could understand a few errors every once in a while, but it is OFTEN and some of my classmates have shared the same LOR fear. I'd get a letter from a past professor but I've been out of school for 2 years and I'm not confident that they'd remember me enough to write a solid letter (plus I went to school in TN and now live in Vegas). Anyway, should I take the risk and ask him to write the letter anyway? Or would it be better to get a letter from a lab instructor (both of my lab instructors have PhDs and have taught lecture in the past, just not this semester)? Thanks for your help!

for the schools i noticed you only need 2 letters or so.. but for some reason i had read about multiple letters that you needed (maybe i just thot this up in my head) so i requested a bunch of lors.. would i still be able to send them all to the schools even though they only require two?

I would recommend sending however many the school asks for. If you think you have an extra one or two that are FANTASTIC, go ahead and send them, as well. Don't bombard the school with letters though--they'll either ignore them, choose the first ___ that meet the requirement and throw out the others, get annoyed, or some combination of the three.

Ok, I'm having a bit of a problem and need some help. I am currently finishing up my last two pre-reqs after being out of school for two years I know I need two science LORs and I have two science professors this semester. The only problem is my physics professor is pretty bad at spelling. He mispells at least 5 words per lecture (he writes "angel" for angle and "Wensday" quite often). I'm afraid that he'll do the same in my letter. I could understand a few errors every once in a while, but it is OFTEN and some of my classmates have shared the same LOR fear. I'd get a letter from a past professor but I've been out of school for 2 years and I'm not confident that they'd remember me enough to write a solid letter (plus I went to school in TN and now live in Vegas). Anyway, should I take the risk and ask him to write the letter anyway? Or would it be better to get a letter from a lab instructor (both of my lab instructors have PhDs and have taught lecture in the past, just not this semester)? Thanks for your help!
Are you using Interfolio? Get them from both, make a decision later.

If not, I'd go with the lab instructor

**I've read tons of LORs for many successful candidates, and they are often riddled with spelling errors.**

This is a common occurrence, given the diversity of backgrounds among undergrad professors, English often not being their first language. Don't worry--schools won't fault you for this (which they shouldn't).

Get the letter from the professor who knows you best and can attest to your personal/professional attributes. Do not sacrifice a good letter for fear of grammar errors. It's the overall message that adcoms are looking for in your LOR. :thumbup:

Moving to the LOR thread.

Would they want DO-specific LoRs ?? Can I use the same LoRs I got for MD schools ?

Would they want DO-specific LoRs ?? Can I use the same LoRs I got for MD schools ?

Check my signature. It's good to have a DO letter, since some schools REQUIRE it and some STRONGLY RECOMMEND it. But yeah, you should include any good MD letters you have, too. You can have both a DO and MD letter in your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the answer!
I don't see your signature... weird!!

The current format of SDN only shows users' signatures once per page. That means you have to scroll to my first post on this page to see it (post #401). I also compile my sig links in the Pre-Osteo FAQs.

Hi, I recently made the decision to go pre-med with the hopes of becoming a DO. Since Osteopathic school (hypothetically) is down the road, would an LOR I get now be acceptable after 2-3 years? Or would it be too "old"?

Thanks!

Hi, I recently made the decision to go pre-med with the hopes of becoming a DO. Since Osteopathic school (hypothetically) is down the road, would an LOR I get now be acceptable after 2-3 years? Or would it be too "old"?

Thanks!

I would stick it in a double freezer bag and place it gingerly in a sub-zero unit behind the frozen buffalo burgers - just to play it safe.
Sorry, I'm a little silly this morning.

Thanks!

I would stick it in a double freezer bag and place it gingerly in a sub-zero unit behind the frozen buffalo burgers - just to play it safe.
Sorry, I'm a little silly this morning.

LOL

Neuro, I used to think 2-3 years old would be too old for LORs too, but then I discussed the issue with some big university pre med programs that informed me that, since their schools were so large, freshmen very often got LORs and put them in the file while the professor still knew who they were. The didn't bother to re-date the letters later, either. So I'd say it's fairly common to have letters that are that old in one's application. *Ideally* you'd get to know the prof freshman year, then maybe do some research with them sophomore year and maybe be a TA. So they really got to know you and could write a very personal letter come application time. However, we don't live in a perfect world.

Get your letters now, and use the ones from the profs who knew you best, when it comes time to send them to schools.

:laugh: thank you for your humor and insight!

I'm not sure how to quote people yet..

Hit the quote button at the bottom right of someone's post, then type into the reply box that pops up. :)

Hey I am applying later summer, I have three LORs, one strong that are year old. Is this okay or should I get more recent? I can maybe get 2 new ones, but since I am psychology major also along with biology (classes complete) I don't have many science teachers left to ask that know me personally.

Hey I am applying later summer, I have three LORs, one strong that are year old. Is this okay or should I get more recent? I can maybe get 2 new ones, but since I am psychology major also along with biology (classes complete) I don't have many science teachers left to ask that know me personally.

A year old is just fine. :thumbup:

How do most schools feel about sending one extra LOR than the minimum that they request? For instance, PCOM wants a pre-medical advisor and DO letter. I do not feel that either one of these people know me that well. I would like to pick out my other best letter from a science prof or employer and send that too. Do you think that most schools will discard it or think it's a waste of their time? Should I call the schools and double check if its okay? I know I have time to figure it out still. Thanks!!!!:)

Well, if you are planning on applying to a number of medical schools, Im sure that some schools will require more LORs than others. Meet the demand of the schools that require the most...i.e. if you are applying to a school that is requiring 3 LORs and another that is requiring just two, you aren't going to stop at 2, right?

I would also definitely get a LOR from a science instructor...even if you don't use it for one school, it may come in handy for another. I would rather have an extra than come out one too short.

Good luck:luck::luck::luck::luck:

Oh yeah for sure. I already have tons of LORs and I will pick and chose what fits the requirements overall. I was really asking if its okay to send more than what they require? Not a ton more, just like one or two extra.

Oh yeah for sure. I already have tons of LORs and I will pick and chose what fits the requirements overall. I was really asking if its okay to send more than what they require? Not a ton more, just like one or two extra.

I heard on SDN one time in pre-allo (ie take with a fat ass grain of salt) that you never want to send in 'more than double their requirement.' IE if they ask for 2, sending in 3-4 is okay, but 5 is annoying. Again though, this speaks the person who has 5 LORs. My guess - aka what I am doing - is getting what I can, and sending it everywhere. Mine are: 2 sci, 1 non-sci, and one DO.

Just an FYI...I sent 8 LORS and was accepted...the maximum in terms of application edicate is apparemtly 8, so I think that going over the minimum is just fine.

what about pre-med committee, you guys counting that as one?

A pre-med committee letter will usually substitute for 2-3 science LORs, so I would count it as more than one.

I am probably going to send in 3 or 4, depending on how things pan out.

No offense to the person who sent in 8, but I think this is typically a little too much. I would go with the guideline of twice the required number as a good advice.

Bleh, I sent in like 6. It only takes a minute or two to read each one. If your extra letters are spectacular, I'd send them. If your above-the-minimum letters are fluff, don't send them. This is going to be a factor of you, your school, your instructors, your advisors, your job history, your extracurrics, your shadowing experiences, etc.

The letter a D.O. wrote on my behalf is really good (she let me read it) but it addresses only D.O. schools. Since I'm applying to both MD and DO, should I ask her to address MD schools in it, too? Good/bad idea?

What about a re-write so that its a general letter so either school could use it?

Thanks for your input.
But I believe asking to rewrite the whole thing is rude.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your input.

In the OP, you said:

Athens said:
should I ask her to address MD schools in it, too?

Then you got a response that said, "Yes, you should do that." (which I agree is the best option, if you want to use this letter for MD and DO schools)

Then you said you thought that was rude.

:confused::confused::confused:

Athens said:
Thanks for your input.

Athens said:
More thoughts?

Well, if you approach your letter writer with that sort of tact, then yes it would be rude.

But most letter writers have been in the same place you are in now and will understand if you ask them (kindly) to modify the letter so that it is the most helpful to you.

It's rare to find a doctor who makes it their mission to crush the hopes and dreams of pre-med or med students through letter of recommendation writing.

I know this has been touched upon in various threads, but I couldn't quite find a definitive answer about Interfolio. When I read their site and from a couple of the replies I've seen, it seemed like they charged $4 per LOR to send to each school. So if you had 4 LOR's and wanted to send them to 10 schools, it'd cost $160.

However, the charge is just per delivery. So the same 4 LOR's to 10 schools would be $40. Hopefully some of you will find this useful.

so i read some of the instructions to applying D.O.

do they not accept virtualevals or something? i would have to send out my letters of rec individually to each school? if i have a lettering service at my school that collects all my letters, can they send out the packets to each school? is that how its done with D.O. schools?

so i read some of the instructions to applying D.O.

do they not accept virtualevals or something? i would have to send out my letters of rec individually to each school? if i have a lettering service at my school that collects all my letters, can they send out the packets to each school? is that how its done with D.O. schools?

There are only a handful of DO schools that accept virtualevuals, but there is also interfolio which I believe every DO school accept.

This had been a question that I had too. From a helpful poster on another thread (Thanks, Semicolon), he had told me that in regards to interfolio (I don't know about virtualeval), you can submit all of your LORs and they will either send them electronically to your DO schools or if not, you can request them send copies directly to the school.

Both VirtualEvals and Interfolio would work. My school collected all of my letters into a packet and sent it through VirtualEvals to all the schools I applied to (14 schools). So don't worry; you can use VE and your school's packet.

And no problem, Krisss17. :D

There are only a handful of DO schools that accept virtualevuals, but there is also interfolio which I believe every DO school accept.

Nah, all but MSUCOM accept VE, now. :thumbup:

VirtualEvals said:
Osteopathic Medical Schools.

With one exception (Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine) all Osteopathic Medical Schools accept letters through veClient.

http://www.virtualevals.org/receivers-2010/

Hey Guys,

Long time reader but first time poster, so please bear with me.

I just graduated from UC Berkeley with a ~3.3-3.4 Cum GPA and a ~3.7 Science GPA (was a non-science major and now realize that I'd much rather take science tests than write 30+ page papers). I'll be taking the MCAT on June 18th and hope to score somewhere between a 28-30.

I have a summer of atherosclerosis research experience and have worked overseas (in India and Mexico) with impoverished children.

I have some good LOR's and a really good one from an MD I've shadowed for the last 4 years. Do I really need one from a DO at this point? I want to submit my AACOMAS by mid-July after receiving my MCAT scores and don't really see myself shadowing and getting a LOR from a DO in that much time.

What has everyone's experience been with this? Would a good MD letter suffice or will it count against me?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Hey Guys,

Long time reader but first time poster, so please bear with me.

I just graduated from UC Berkeley with a ~3.3-3.4 Cum GPA and a ~3.7 Science GPA (was a non-science major and now realize that I'd much rather take science tests than write 30+ page papers). I'll be taking the MCAT on June 18th and hope to score somewhere between a 28-30.

I have a summer of atherosclerosis research experience and have worked overseas (in India and Mexico) with impoverished children.

I have some good LOR's and a really good one from an MD I've shadowed for the last 4 years. Do I really need one from a DO at this point? I want to submit my AACOMAS by mid-July after receiving my MCAT scores and don't really see myself shadowing and getting a LOR from a DO in that much time.

What has everyone's experience been with this? Would a good MD letter suffice or will it count against me?

Thanks in advance for your help.

You will not be able to apply to the few schools that require a DO letter, but otherwise it seems that an MD letter has been accepted just fine by other institutions. However, know that a DO letter is still recommended as you will need to explain your interest in osteopathic medicine in particular at some point or another and it would help to have something to back it up with.

definitely check with AACOMAS or the particular school you're applying to. I can only assume they'd be a stickler on getting a DO letter. I know there are some things they won't budge on so better be safe than sorry and check the regs

I have a family friend that knows someone on an admissions committee. Other that this person has no afilliation with my school/work/etc. Is it a good idea to get an LOR from this person?
Thanks

Ok, check it.

Regardless of who you have hookups with--even if it's the surgeon general--you always want to get letters from those who KNOW you the best. A good letter of rec isn't the source, it's how well the person can brag about your readiness for being a doctor.

I'd say to go with a professor, or a volunteer coordinator you may have worked with who knows what kind of person you are.

I have a family friend that knows someone on an admissions committee. Other that this person has no afilliation with my school/work/etc. Is it a good idea to get an LOR from this person?
Thanks

No. They shouldn't write you a LOR.

But they should call their acquaintance and say nice things about you. And that'll probably carry more weight than any LOR you send in. Of course, that's only if they know you well enough to say nice things.

Admissions people get lots of LORs and really...they all say the same thing. But a phone call from someone they know will stick in their head.

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting on here. I need some advice about my situation. I plan on applying to medical schools by the end of this month, however I am lacking in the LOR. Although I have two non-science letters, I do not have any science letters. A reason for this is I've never attempted to establish a relationship with previous professors (stupid, I know). This past semester (spring 09) I decided to develop a relationship with a professor and ask for a LOR. He taught two of the classes I took up. I received a high A in one class but unfortunately received a low B in his other class. As a result, he said he would be willing to write me a LOR based on my A but would have to include my performance in his other class as well. It didn't sound too appealing the way he said it. Now I don't know what to do. Should I request a LOR from a previous instructor, although he/she doesn't really know me? Any advice (gentle or harsh) would be welcome. Thank you.