2008-2009 Letter of Recommendation Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow, thanks. You are extremely helpful. I have been trying to track down my final science letter and wonder how many schools require two. Currently, I have one strong science and several other strong non-science faculty. For the midwest, KCUMB only requires one. But I notice that RVU and DMU require two. Do schools ever overlook one science letter if it is replaced by another strong faculty?

They usually won't overlook the requirement, but it can't hurt to ask. What about a committee or pre med advisor letter? If you can get one of those, many schools will waive the science letter requirement altogether. Check the CIB for details.

Members don't see this ad.

Great! I guess the individual websites for the schools made it seem that you needed a pre-health advisor and two science rec's. I guess I will continue to hunt for one but if I come up short I won't lose sleep over it.

Great! I guess the individual websites for the schools made it seem that you needed a pre-health advisor and two science rec's. I guess I will continue to hunt for one but if I come up short I won't lose sleep over it.

I've never seen it be an AND requirement, but often see it as

1. Two science faculty

OR

2. A pre med committee

Note that SOME, NOT ALL schools will accept an individual pre med advisor letter in lieu of a committee. The logic being that a committee takes more time/effort to get to know you, and won't be as biased by knowing you prior to writing the letter. An advisor is less credible, as only one person and not usually involved in teaching rigorous courses.

Members don't see this ad :)
y cant u send them all?

Some schools don't like to be inundated with letters. If they ask for two, they will often take the first two and throw any others away.

Generally, quality is more important than quantity. However, if your school requires or suggests a DO letter, and you know the content is OK, then send the DO letter. It's really more of a formality. If you are put on a waiting list and want to improve your file later on, then send the other letters too.

Some schools ask that only TWO letters be submitted, a committee letter and a medical letter (from a DO or MD. They prefer a DO). So here's my problem. I have three medical letters. Two are from DOs who I have shadowed a few times. One is from an MD who has allowed me to be an active participant in patient care. I am now working for him in his office.

So if I can only send one medical letter, do I send the one from the MD who knows me best and I work for, or do I send a DO LOR just because of two letters that come after their name (DO) even though they don't know me quite as well?

I'm curious to know which schools. I think literally throwing away extra letters is the exception--not the rule. But if that is the case, you obviously should choose carefully which ones to send, so they don't throw away the wrong ones. In this case, I would probably call my favorite school or two, explain the letter situation, and ask which they'd prefer. Couldn't hurt.

If they gave me too vague an answer, though, I'd personally choose the best letter and send it.

To disclose any biases in this case: I was successful with two really good MD letters but chose not to include my DO letter. All of my schools recommended a DO LOR, but none required it.

So last year I get a LOR from my a DO, she turns it into interfolio then sends me an email saying "ok your recommendation for MSU is in the mail". I tell her I need it just to be generic, for any college. So she sends in another one.
So in my interfolio I had 2 LORs from her one titled Dr. ---(generic) another Recommendation from Dr. --- (one specifically for MSU).
Well I sent the one specifically for MSU to a bunch of schools this year...
funny thing is I have interviews at 2 of those schools in the next couple of weeks.
what do I do in this situation?? Should I ask them about it? Just ignore it? Talk to and adcom?
help!?

call adcom for each school explain the situation, I am sure they'll understand. Only thing is if you put that you didn't apply to any other school thinking they wouldn't find out. Then you need explaination other than that no big deal.

Hello,

A physician that I have been shadowing for a couple of months offered to write a letter of recommendation. For the schools that I have applied to, I sent in three letters from professors at my school (two academic and one research). Since I feel that the letter from the physician adds depth into my application, I would like to send it to the schools that I have already submitted my secondary. I’m worried that it’d be pointless because I remember a section of the secondary that asks to list your LOR. Does anyone know if schools would still accept an additional LOR after submitting your secondary? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys question Haven't got a DO letter yet, and I will be verified within the next two weeks what should I do? I have already called 4 doctors DO around my town. Should I call some more doctors and ask them if I can shadow a couple of days and then get a LOR? Should I be straight forward or beat around the bush? I don't know just want some help!

Thanks!

Hello,

A physician that I have been shadowing for a couple of months offered to write a letter of recommendation. For the schools that I have applied to, I sent in three letters from professors at my school (two academic and one research). Since I feel that the letter from the physician adds depth into my application, I would like to send it to the schools that I have already submitted my secondary. I’m worried that it’d be pointless because I remember a section of the secondary that asks to list your LOR. Does anyone know if schools would still accept an additional LOR after submitting your secondary? Thanks!

I'll be very surprised if any schools don't accept it. I'd call your schools to let them know to expect a separate letter that you didn't tell them about before. Nice work with the letter--it'll help! :thumbup:

Hey guys question Haven't got a DO letter yet, and I will be verified within the next two weeks what should I do? I have already called 4 doctors DO around my town. Should I call some more doctors and ask them if I can shadow a couple of days and then get a LOR? Should I be straight forward or beat around the bush? I don't know just want some help!

Thanks!

The answer to your question depends on exactly how desperate you are.

Did you apply only to schools that require a DO letter?

Do you have an MD letter?

Have you shadowed a DO?

The answer to your question depends on exactly how desperate you are.

Did you apply only to schools that require a DO letter?

Do you have an MD letter?

Have you shadowed a DO?

I want to get into a school, I don't want to have to wait another cycle.

Yes I applied to schools that require DO letters.

I could get an MD letter, but I figured if I got a DO letter it would cover all the schools.

Have not shadowed a doctor.

Called 4 doctors around town today left them messages. Will call some more next week to see if I can shadow them and get a letter is this a good idea? I mean how do I go about approaching the phone call I make? I mean I applied and verification will be coming up soon so I am scared. I have all my other LORS in the bag just this darn DO letter is killing me.

I want to get into a school, I don't want to have to wait another cycle.

Yes I applied to schools that require DO letters.

I could get an MD letter, but I figured if I got a DO letter it would cover all the schools.

Have not shadowed a doctor.

Called 4 doctors around town today left them messages. Will call some more next week to see if I can shadow them and get a letter is this a good idea? I mean how do I go about approaching the phone call I make? I mean I applied and verification will be coming up soon so I am scared. I have all my other LORS in the bag just this darn DO letter is killing me.

Read through the last few pages of this thread. That should help.

Yes, shadowing a DO for a few shifts (maybe 20-25 hrs, if possible), then asking politely for a letter would be best. When you're calling, just say that you are currently applying to medical schools and are interested in whatever that doc practices.

When shadowing is over, bring a résumé, personal statement, and stamped envelope to go to Interfolio or your pre health office, if applicable.

Good luck!

Wow thanks that helps I am going to try to contact a few surgery DOs and ER's if it doesn't get me help this cycle for sure next cycle. Thanks again CB.

Wow thanks that helps I am going to try to contact a few surgery DOs and ER's if it doesn't get me help this cycle for sure next cycle. Thanks again CB.

Any time. But you don't HAVE to have a DO letter to get in (for many DO schools). But clinical experience is pretty vital, so do what you can to get some shadowing in ASAP. Good luck!

Does anyone know if it is beneficial to have a letter from an alumni that specifically mentions said school? I have several DO's that have offered to write letters for me, and I don't know whether I should have them write generic letters (since schools generally limit the # you can send) or to have them write specific letters (as they all graduated from different places, and two have taught at schools other than where they graduated from). I have the potential here for multiple specific letters which I can designate towards those schools, or multiple generic letters from which I will have to choose. Do adcom's favor letters from alumni or former faculty?

Does anyone know if it is beneficial to have a letter from an alumni that specifically mentions said school? I have several DO's that have offered to write letters for me, and I don't know whether I should have them write generic letters (since schools generally limit the # you can send) or to have them write specific letters (as they all graduated from different places, and two have taught at schools other than where they graduated from). I have the potential here for multiple specific letters which I can designate towards those schools, or multiple generic letters from which I will have to choose. Do adcom's favor letters from alumni or former faculty?

Alumnus letters will never hurt and could very well give you a very slight favor, all other things equal. Or maybe an adcom went to school with the doc and will be a little happier when reviewing your file.

Who knows.

Is it worth a lot of extra trouble? I wouldn't think so. But if it's easy enough to get two copies from each letter writer (one where the alma mater is mentioned and one where it isn't), then I'd probably try to do that.

Hey

I was wondering if I could get some clearer insight into letters of rec. I know that DO schools highly recommend or in some school's cases require a letter of rec from a DO. Unless they explicitly require a DO letter would a primary care practice MD be sufficient? On the conditions that you know this MD well and feel that they would trully write a great letter.

My understanding is that many of those that enter DO have an interest in primary care, so shoudln't a primary care MD be "ok?"

thanks!

My letter of rec is from an MD, a radiologist at that. I have not shadowed a DO. I have 5 DO interviews so far. You will be fine!

I was wondering if it would be ok to ask my former pediatrician for a LOR. The reason I would like him to write the LOR is that I have shadowed him a number of times and it is due to my experience shadowing him that I became interested in general pediatrics and preventive care. The reason I need to ask him for a letter is that the osteopathic physician whom I shadowed for two months and initially agreed to write me a letter, has not responded to my calls in the past 3 months. I have a bad feeling that I may not be getting a letter from the osteopathic physician. Because a number of osteopathic medical schools require a letter from a physician, the number of schools I can apply to becomes very limited. He is not a family member and the time I spent shadowing him occurred after I was no longer under his care.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I was wondering if it would be ok to ask my former pediatrician for a LOR. The reason I would like him to write the LOR is that I have shadowed him a number of times and it is due to my experience shadowing him that I became interested in general pediatrics and preventive care. The reason I need to ask him for a letter is that the osteopathic physician whom I shadowed for two months and initially agreed to write me a letter, has not responded to my calls in the past 3 months. I have a bad feeling that I may not be getting a letter from the osteopathic physician. Because a number of osteopathic medical schools require a letter from a physician, the number of schools I can apply to becomes very limited. He is not a family member and the time I spent shadowing him occurred after I was no longer under his care.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Yes. Even if your former pediatrician doesn't have time to formally meet you for more shadowing, etc. you can always forward him with your CV listing your current activities and also your personal statement. If you are applying this cycle I would call ASAP; but even for next cycle I'd still try and get that letter just in case because as you know, not having one will really limit your choices. Good luck!!

rennykim, thanks for the rapid reply. I'll ask for a letter ASAP! I know it’s late but I’ll still try to apply to a few schools. :)

I am doing an internship this semester, where I am gaining some great hands on clinical experience. My supervisors know me well and I believe they would write a great LOR. Should I get and send this letter after being complete at the schools for atleast 2-3 weeks? I know people send additional letters but is this only done when placed on a waitlist, alternative list, etc?
Thanks!

I am doing an internship this semester, where I am gaining some great hands on clinical experience. My supervisors know me well and I believe they would write a great LOR. Should I get and send this letter after being complete at the schools for atleast 2-3 weeks? I know people send additional letters but is this only done when placed on a waitlist, alternative list, etc?
Thanks!

Feel free to send a good letter as an update. It could only help. It doesn't have to be because you got put on a waitlist or something like that.

Ok so I get the Touro University snail-mail secondary invite today and to my complete surprise I find out they require an LOR from a physician (D.O. or M.D.)...

So, since I have no physician LOR, should I just withdraw my application? I mean, that seems like a silly requirement. I have plenty of volunteer hours in a busy ICU where I got to know a lot of nurses and some doctors, and I got a strong LOR from the head nurse of the ICU. The whole point of volunteering is to show you have a passion for medicine and to know what you're getting yourself into (besides the fact that it's a de facto requirement to get into medical school).

Will they take my LOR from the head nurse of the ICU in lieu of a physician LOR?

I applied to something like 15 MD and DO schools and most of them required a physician letter. I kind of figured it was out of the ordinary to not require a physician letter. If they ask for a specific type of reference, my guess is that you can't substitute with something else. They usually have your required set of letters, then allow you one or two optional letters so you can have submitions from people who know you in other settings (like a volunteer setting). I don't think they're going to waver on that one. Sorry...

I applied to something like 15 MD and DO schools and most of them required a physician letter. I kind of figured it was out of the ordinary to not require a physician letter. If they ask for a specific type of reference, my guess is that you can't substitute with something else. They usually have your required set of letters, then allow you one or two optional letters so you can have submitions from people who know you in other settings (like a volunteer setting). I don't think they're going to waver on that one. Sorry...
Wow.

None of the M.D. programs I applied to require a letter of recommendation from a physician. Not one.

I guess I'll e-mail the school and see if they still want me with my 32 MCAT and 3.9 GPA, my MCAT class teaching experience, and over 80 hours volunteer work and 4 years of mission work just because I don't have an LOR from a physician. If so, I think that's very stupid.

Sorry if I seem upset, it's not at you, it's at this whole damn process... I think I'm starting to lose my mind!

I understand. It's a grueling process that can become very frustrating at times. It's worth a shot talking to admissions. Worst they can say is no. Hope it works out for you. :luck:

i know this is a weird question.

but can my uncle inlaw write me a letter of recommendation?

would university of houston accept it?

or would he be be someone in the family?

i know this is a weird question.

but can my uncle inlaw write me a letter of recommendation?

would university of houston accept it?

or would he be be someone in the family?

It looks like you're looking for the pre-pharmacy forum. Try asking your pharmacy related questions here, as everyone in this forum is looking to get into medical school.

I feel like the doctors I will shadow may not know me well enough to write LoRs for me...

How long should I shadow a D.O. and/or how should I conduct myself in order to get his recommendation later ???

Most doctors know what you are there for in the first place so don't worry about them knowing you super well. I would say a few days is good enough. I was lucky enough to have a relatively young doctor who offered me a letter after the first day of shadowing.

I got to know my doctor really well
I wrote out a list of things I wanted to learn from the shadowing experience and shadowed her for about 8 days total.
I realy delved deep into the osteopathic philosophy and attended an OMM training session that she ran for 4th years.
What I'm trying to say is, you'll get out as much as you put into it. Let them know right away what you expect to learn or what you want to learn, and they'll try to accomodate. If not, try other docs, or just get a generic letter from that doc.
But letters from physicians that know you tend to be better and make a better impression on the committee.
For example, lets say you told the doc that you wanted to learn about OMM from them, they're likely to include that in the letter.

Doctors are different in terms how long they want you to shadow before they write a LOR. I had one doctor say the first day that he doesnt usually write LORs unless the person spends a considerable amount of time at the office. In contrast, the other day I met a DO who offered to write me a letter as soon as he found out I was applying to DO schools. I had konwn him for about 5 minutes and wasnt even shadowing him. I just met him at this dinner put on at my school. He said he knew how hard it can be to get a LOR so he wanted to make my life easy if I didnt have one.

Most of the time, youll just give the doc your resume, or personal statement, or something like that so they know some stuff about you. The doc might also ask you to write a draft of the letter and then he/she will read and edit it later. I would just talk to the doc as soon as you can so you can get the guidelines straight and make sure you are both on the same page. Also, make sure you ask WAY in advance b/c they can some times take foreeeeeeeeeever. I asked my DO for a LOR in March and I didnt get it til mid June.

Good luck!

Do I send my Letters or Recommendation to each school individually or to AACOMAS??

thanks!

Do I send my Letters or Recommendation to each school individually or to AACOMAS??

thanks!

Send to each school, individually. You can either send them yourself, have your pre-med office send them, or use a service like Interfolio. I and most others would recommend Interfolio.

thanks!

You wouldn't send your letters to AACOMAS at all...Does your school have a prehealth committee? If your school does, you just send them your letters of rec. and they will use interfolio to issue them to all of the schools that you indicate. I believe all of the DO schools participate in interfolio except for two (one being NYCOM...not sure of the other)

Not sure about the answer for schools that do not have a pre-health committee but the mods such as C-Bear should know.

You wouldn't send your letters to AACOMAS at all...Does your school have a prehealth committee? If your school does, you just send them your letters of rec. and they will use interfolio to issue them to all of the schools that you indicate. I believe all of the DO schools participate in interfolio except for two (one being NYCOM...not sure of the other)

Not sure about the answer for schools that do not have a pre-health committee but the mods such as C-Bear should know.

Well a lot of the UG schools I know of use VirtualEvals to send letters. VE is not available to individuals. Individual students sending letters often use Interfolio.

NYCOM doesn't accept VE.

No school can reject Interfolio, technically. They can choose not to accept electronic letters from Interfolio, but Interfolio will simply snail mail the letters to those schools for you. No biggie.

I have to agree with rysserr21 "make sure you ask WAY in advance b/c they can some times take foreeeeeeeeeever." I put a packet together with a letter explaining where I was applying and when I wanted to complete the applications but I still had to wait for 2 of them. Hard to say how long to get to know docs because everyone has a different idea about that. Luckily I knew a few DO's from my wife's family/friends, and I knew some other from my work. Some wanted my personal statement-- one wanted all my test scores and transcripts. The ones that knew me the best actually wanted the most info before writing me a LoR.
What I have found with most DO's I've met is that they wanted to further the DO profession and were thrilled I wanted to apply to osteopathic schools and therefore all were more than willing to write me a LoR. Have others found this to be true too? Make sure you have your resume and personal statement at the ready because they would most certainly want those. I hope you get your letters!

I went in a total of 3 times. 2 Times to talk about his job, and 1 time to shadow. I give him my personal statement and resume so he could work off those.

If I end up becoming a DO (which I think I will at this point???), I'm gonna be the nicest guy concerning my willingness to write LORs for premeds. I think its crazy how difficult it can be for some people to not only find a DO, but to find one that will be able to write them a LOR.

:confused:So I have been shadowing a physician for a few months I asked him to write me a letter a while back. Then last week he tells me he hasn't written the letter and really doesnt want to since he is HORRIBLE at TYPING and was WONDERING if there was a form he could just fill out I know of 1 of the 6 schools that I have applied to that has a form!! WHAT DO I DO??? HELP HELP HELP

The doc I have been shadowing for a few months now and agreed to write me a letter a while back just informed me that he CAN"T write me a letter- because he is horrible at typing. is there an Evaulation form he can use or something. I know 1 of the 6 schools I applied to has a form but that is it. What do I do I can not start shadowing someone else-- it is TOO LATE! What do I do?:confused: