2008-2009 Boston Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I interviewed with Witzburg - do you know if he actually calls his accepted students?

Dean Witzburg is one of the interviewers who calls -- at least he did last year.

Members don't see this ad.

I interviewed with Dr. Lija Joseph. She was great but I haven't received any phone calls yet!

So do we think tomorrow? It appears nobody has gotten phone calls so I'm worried we might have to wait the weekend...

Members don't see this ad :)
So do we think tomorrow? It appears nobody has gotten phone calls so I'm worried we might have to wait the weekend...

this is what i suspect, but the feeling is based on nothing concrete. good luck to all nevertheless:luck::luck::luck::luck:

this is what i suspect, but the feeling is based on nothing concrete. good luck to all nevertheless:luck::luck::luck::luck:

Looking at last years thread......the status updates for those accepted came out on a Saturday (March 29th) and the status updates for those waitlisted came out on the following Monday (31st) so there still might be some hope. But the face that no calls have gone out makes me think it will be next week.

well, good luck everyone who is still waiting to hear back from BU. I got accepted to a california school so i'm withdrawing my application. Maybe you will get my spot.

Despite that, I predict calls will start coming from SOME interviewers tomorrow afternoon (and possible TONIGHT) and emails will go out on Friday.

I am so excited for you guys. This school is better than I ever hoped it would be. In every way. I absolutely and totally love it. (I never really understood the concept that a school can be a good "fit," but I do now.)

and Boston is fantastic!!!
:luck::luck::luck::luck::luck:

Where are you getting these predictions from? First the 24th and now yesterday...just a cruel streak? Enjoying messing with the potential ms1s? :confused: ;) Seriously though, do you have actual information as a current student that we aren't privy to?

I don't think we'll be hearing today, or necessarily early next week. I just called the admissions office and they said "within the next 2 weeks," which I believe is the same as they said to someone else early this week. Always a great sign. Time to ramp down the expectations and move this one back to the back burner as best we can. (I hope I'm wrong, of course.)

Last edited:
so, it doesn't seem like anyone really knows when we are going to hear...

this has been a really long wait.

So the other thread out there was actually from 2007, not 2008. But they said that when they called during the week, the office said they were hoping to get things out by that Friday. In our case they are saying next two weeks, so Im assuming that is true, and decisions won't be out today. Especially since no one got any calls; unless they don't tell the interviewers anymore who got in. I spoke with my advisor at BUSM and she said that it was strange this year bc the adcom hadn't released any announcements about when they are gonna send out decisions. When they say last week, I think they really mean 1st week of April, at BEST. Chill out for the weekend!

Just got off the phone with one of the admissions staff, all she said was "within the next 2 weeks". I asked her how the notification would be delivered, snail mail, e-mail, etc. and she replied "both". She must get this phone call 100 times a day...anyways wish there was a more optimistic outlook on when we can expect to receive word, but looks like we are still playing the waiting game :(

I feel so sorry for u guys...i don't understand what is taking them so long. it seems llike every other school has their stuff together except BU! Come on, Witzburg! :eek: lol

Just got off the phone with one of the admissions staff, all she said was "within the next 2 weeks". I asked her how the notification would be delivered, snail mail, e-mail, etc. and she replied "both". She must get this phone call 100 times a day...anyways wish there was a more optimistic outlook on when we can expect to receive word, but looks like we are still playing the waiting game :(

I called this morning as well and boy was that woman annoyed! When she said two weeks, I asked her to clarify if that meant beyond the 'end of March' deadline posted online and described in the emails. She repeated "in the next two weeks" very slowly like someone saying it through their teeth in anger. I can only imagine how many times she says that a day.

I called this morning as well and boy was that woman annoyed! When she said two weeks, I asked her to clarify if that meant beyond the 'end of March' deadline posted online and described in the emails. She repeated "in the next two weeks" very slowly like someone saying it through their teeth in anger. I can only imagine how many times she says that a day.

You'd think they could send out one of those mass emails that we used to get so often from BU... that way everyone would know what was going on and their secretary wouldn't be tearing her hair out in annoyance.

I get that reviewing applications requires human beings and therefore takes time, but it is frustrating nonetheless.

Members don't see this ad :)
Med schools have to offer at least the total number of spots in the class by March 30. Do you guys think they did at least that in the first round? Because if not, then we should at least hear something by Monday, 3/30....?? Thoughts??

I've been reading this thread religiously and thought I'd share some info. Coincidentally, I ran into an adcom member and heard that he thinks letters are going out on Monday... Here's hoping! :xf:

I've been reading this thread religiously and thought I'd share some info. Coincidentally, I ran into an adcom member and heard that he thinks letters are going out on Monday... Here's hoping! :xf:
thanks for the info:)

ahh this weekend is gonna go by very slow
:luck::luck::luck:

Oh man, haha, I think I know who you talked to. I think she's like that all the time. Best of luck everyone! Hope to see some more of you soon on the allo thread...it's pretty quiet there!

Where are you getting these predictions from? First the 24th and now yesterday...just a cruel streak? Enjoying messing with the potential ms1s? :confused: ;) Seriously though, do you have actual information as a current student that we aren't privy to?

I don't think we'll be hearing today, or necessarily early next week. I just called the admissions office and they said "within the next 2 weeks," which I believe is the same as they said to someone else early this week. Always a great sign. Time to ramp down the expectations and move this one back to the back burner as best we can. (I hope I'm wrong, of course.)

I feel bad that i misled you. I do not have any inside info and was just basing my predictions on what they did last year, which would have indicated some interviewer phone calls by now and then the email tomorrow.

I am an MS1 and I am interested in this thread because I am excited for you guys (and kinda reliving how excited i was last cycle); def not messing with you!!

at the risk of more speculation, i do not believe that they gave a full class worth acceptances in January. (again, no inside info; but last year i think they only gave about 60 acceptances in january.)

The dean told us they only offered spots to 1/3 of the people they would be offering spots to, meaning the class isn't full yet so they should have to give them out by Tuesday.

Sorry to crunch the numbers but...

If they accept ~300 ppl total at the end of the cycle, then 1/3 of the class is 100 ppl.

I think there are roughly 100 spots to offer (since you have to subtract for the ppl in special 7 year tracks, etc)

That means they might have offered enough spots in the first round to buy some time for the second round.

Just trying to not get hopes up for Monday!

He told us there were 180 spots for us, so if they offered 100 spots then theres still 80 to fill by tuesday

that sounds off.

It is. I looked back over the notes I took during my interview day, and Dr. Witzburg said that there are 315-325 total acceptances (this includes the small number of people who are wait-listed and eventually accepted).

Yeah, what I meant was 180 spots in the class, not 180 acceptances. We were talking about how they would give out 300 acceptances and they let about 100 in in January, meaning there are about 80 spots they haven't given out yet to fill the class, meaning they have to give them before the end of March. Not that they're only giving out 80 more spots, just that they have to to fill the class by the AAMC deadline.

Sorry to crunch the numbers but...

If they accept ~300 ppl total at the end of the cycle, then 1/3 of the class is 100 ppl.

I think there are roughly 100 spots to offer (since you have to subtract for the ppl in special 7 year tracks, etc)

That means they might have offered enough spots in the first round to buy some time for the second round.

Just trying to not get hopes up for Monday!

They accept 300 to get a class of about 175. I am pretty sure that it is one third of 175 that are accepted in January, not one third of the 300 total acceptances.

So that's better for Monday!!!

Sounds good to me! Just seems strange that decisions would come out on a Monday...maybe they are finalizing stuff over the weekend.

I feel bad that i misled you. I do not have any inside info and was just basing my predictions on what they did last year, which would have indicated some interviewer phone calls by now and then the email tomorrow.

I am an MS1 and I am interested in this thread because I am excited for you guys (and kinda reliving how excited i was last cycle); def not messing with you!!

at the risk of more speculation, i do not believe that they gave a full class worth acceptances in January. (again, no inside info; but last year i think they only gave about 60 acceptances in january.)

Aw, I wasn't serious that I thought you were messing with us - it's nice of you to stop by and try to provide support. :) Fingers crossed for tomorrow.:xf:

for what it's worth, the january acceptances were posted to status pages on a sunday night. maybe you all may hear something tonight?

I haven't gotten any updates either and I say it's not over until it's over! Let's just wait to see what happens this week.

Yah even though Jan acceptances were posted on a Sunday, some of those people were called during that previous week. Since no one on this thread said they were called last week, it's prob safe to assume it wasn't gonna happen tonight. Maybe they are mixing it up this time around! Keep the faith!

My friend had a dream last night that I got into BU. She thinks its a sign that decisions will come out today. I wanted to kick her in the shins.

bad dreams and a stomach ache here...

Glad to know Im not the only one that is extremely irritable right now and also about to crap myself.

nothing still..
anyone got any news and care to burst the bubbles?

Looking through my past emails from BU, they've only sent me updates between 11am and 1pm - I'd say the best we could expect today is a call this evening.

I think I got my interview invitation around 5:30 pm back in Nov, so maybe there is hope for today....but I think since no one has been called yet, ur right, calls might go out tonight if there are any, and emails/status change maybe tomorrow or later in the week.

Nothing here either. I have been having dreams/nightmares for a week now. Half the time I get in, half the time I don't. Checking my emails, all of the correspondence from BU has come between 11:30am and 12:30pm. This is getting ridiculous! Can't they send out a mass email update?!?

Has anyone ventured to call the office today?

i just got a phone call from my interviewer! I'm in!!! i was at the library and i was totally speechless. I'm so excited! good luck everyone! i think today is the day!:luck::luck::luck:

Congrats onewish!! Just got a call as well!! So excited!!! Good luck everyone!!!

Congratulations! Great to know that the decisions are rolling out :) If you don't mind, who were your interviewers?

Last edited:
Congrats! Who were ur interviewers?

hmm is phone call the only way of finding out? i got no email or update status either way... it's arleady 5pm.. anyone?

hmm is phone call the only way of finding out? i got no email or update status either way... it's arleady 5pm.. anyone?

I imagine phone calls are only for SOME acceptances as not all interviewers will call. I expect that all status updates, positive and negative, will occur tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.