## 2008-2009 Application Season ## Post AACOMAS questions HERE!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So I got an email from CCOM that they received aacomas and I can complete their secondary, but yet on the application nowhere do I see "Released 'date' VIEW"....so now I'm just confused again....oh well I guess I will just work on the secondary

I think they update your home page once they mail it (or some time after mailing), but they electronically release it immediately. Thus schools get your app before you expected them to. Turn in secondaries ASAP!

Members don't see this ad.

So do any schools give interviews before the secondaries???

Members don't see this ad :)
I noticed (well my wife did) that I had spelled a word wrong on my primary application. I'm dyslexic, and usually don't have problems as long as I am careful, but for some reason I still missed this one word. Does anyone think that a mistake like this will be detrimental?

I noticed (well my wife did) that I had spelled a word wrong on my primary application. I'm dyslexic, and usually don't have problems as long as I am careful, but for some reason I still missed this one word. Does anyone think that a mistake like this will be detrimental?

I wouldn't worry too much. If they like what they see, they'll probably forgive a small error.

You can always call or email AACOMAS and ask them to change it. But this won't work if it's already been sent to schools, and you might get put in the back of the verification line if you're already in line.

So the lovely people at AACOMAS changed my A in multi-variable calculus to a W...:mad:

notified them but my apps have already been sent to school. Sucks bc that quarter I did withdraw from my classes (2 other ones) bu manage to keep that one and got an A....(I had a bad case of strep)

hopefully it will be ok I notified them...

Sooo i'm verified and my primary app is sent out, but (like ive said before in other threads so sorry for repetition) I want my schools to know the clinical exposure i'm currently taking part in. I am planning on sending letters to the schools (explaining experience etc. etc.) and hoping they will take the letter into consideration when reviewing my app. However, is there a way for me just to update my primary app? a. is this even possible and b. if it is will it require another 6 weeks/will my primary app somehow be taken back from schools (haha im sure that is not even possible). Any insight on this would be great! Thanksssssss :)

In order for schools to get your MCAT scores do you just have to release them to AACOMAS?

So the lovely people at AACOMAS changed my A in multi-variable calculus to a W...:mad:

notified them but my apps have already been sent to school. Sucks bc that quarter I did withdraw from my classes (2 other ones) bu manage to keep that one and got an A....(I had a bad case of strep)

hopefully it will be ok I notified them...

Stay on top of this. I think as soon as they update, a new electronic copy will go to the schools. Make sure they fix this, as you want the highest GPA possible (obviously).

Sooo i'm verified and my primary app is sent out, but (like ive said before in other threads so sorry for repetition) I want my schools to know the clinical exposure i'm currently taking part in. I am planning on sending letters to the schools (explaining experience etc. etc.) and hoping they will take the letter into consideration when reviewing my app. However, is there a way for me just to update my primary app? a. is this even possible and b. if it is will it require another 6 weeks/will my primary app somehow be taken back from schools (haha im sure that is not even possible). Any insight on this would be great! Thanksssssss :)

I'm almost positive you couldn't just update your primary app and have it resent. Just write a letter (emailing is another option, just arguably less professional). They'll put it in your file and it will be considered with the rest.

So is it ok to use the same secondary for branch schools....for example, I completed my CCOM one, and I was wdonering if it would be ok to submit the same essays for AZCOM??

Members don't see this ad :)
So is it ok to use the same secondary for branch schools....for example, I completed my CCOM one, and I was wdonering if it would be ok to submit the same essays for AZCOM??

Yeah it's fine. Keep in mind, though, that a few school-specific points can really make a short essay stand out. Also make sure you change the name of the school in each essay.

Yes. You can do that from the MCAT section of the AAMC website.

So I was just about to release my MCAT score to AACOMAS from the AAMC website, but then I saw under the "Other U.S. and Canadian Med Schools" PCOM is listed. Why is it listed here? Shouldn't PCOM just get my scores from AACOMAS? Should I send it to PCOM and AACOMAS?

Thanks

Hello

On the AACOMAS application they ask questions regarding Osteopathic Background. Like "Do you have any family members who are D.O.s or M.D.s?" and "How did you first learn about osteopathic medicine?" "Have you ever met with an osteopathic college or AACOM representative?"

Anyone knows the purpose behind those questions? Since they are part of the application, I am sure someone is going to look at them...

I think you're looking at it too indepth. Most schools will ask you again how you came to learn of osteopathic medicine and if any alum are relatives. Just answer them. They're statistical in nature, I'd say.

So I was just about to release my MCAT score to AACOMAS from the AAMC website, but then I saw under the "Other U.S. and Canadian Med Schools" PCOM is listed. Why is it listed here? Shouldn't PCOM just get my scores from AACOMAS? Should I send it to PCOM and AACOMAS?

Thanks

I just sent it to AACOMAS and PCOM still got the scores. It's probably because PCOM has another program, separate from its DO program, that uses MCAT scores to evaluate candidates (a master's program or the like).

I just sent it to AACOMAS and PCOM still got the scores. It's probably because PCOM has another program, separate from its DO program, that uses MCAT scores to evaluate candidates (a master's program or the like).

Thanks for the help man.

So I was going to sift through all the posts and see if I could find the answer to my question, but that is a lot of posts, so forgive me if this question has been answered elsewhere.

I decided (2 days ago) do add 4 more schools to which I am applying. My AACOMAS has been verified and I have done the secondary thing for the other schools already. That said, do they have to "verify" my application again? Or because I was already "verified" will they be champs about it and just go ahead and send my application on to the new schools?

Thanks!!

So I was going to sift through all the posts and see if I could find the answer to my question, but that is a lot of posts, so forgive me if this question has been answered elsewhere.

I decided (2 days ago) do add 4 more schools to which I am applying. My AACOMAS has been verified and I have done the secondary thing for the other schools already. That said, do they have to "verify" my application again? Or because I was already "verified" will they be champs about it and just go ahead and send my application on to the new schools?

Thanks!!

Fear not. Your app was electronically sent to the new schools shortly after you paid. :thumbup:

OMG rookie mistake. Just got an email from AACOMAS saying my applications were undelivered because I entered all of my courses in quarters instead of semesters and I need to convert then pay & submit again.
OK, do I seriously have to PAY AGAIN? I responded to the email but haven't heard back. I will be soooo pissed off if I have to pay again after it took them 6 weeks to notify me of this mistake.
It's already getting late and it might take another 4-6 weeks to verify...I might just go MD-only this cycle if that's what's gonna happen.
Anybody who knows please advise... :(

I've had my primary submitted since Aug 3 and it's still not done processing! It's been.... 7 weeks!

Is anyone else having this problem? I keep emailing aacomas and they just give generic replies but no real solution or acknowledgment to the fact that my primary, after 7 weeks, has not finished processing. I don't know if there's something I forgot to do on my end or if there's a bottleneck on their end. All 3 checks are green and it's been "processing" for probably 2 or 3 weeks now.

Any insight?

Yup, me too...and then to have it kicked back to me after 6.5 weeks with "change all your quarter grades to semester conversion and resubmit and pay"....
If I have to pay again I won't submit AACOMAS this year. Stinks too because I'm very interested in ATSU-SOMA. Wish I could just apply there directly.
sigh.....

I've had my primary submitted since Aug 3 and it's still not done processing! It's been.... 7 weeks!

Is anyone else having this problem? I keep emailing aacomas and they just give generic replies but no real solution or acknowledgment to the fact that my primary, after 7 weeks, has not finished processing. I don't know if there's something I forgot to do on my end or if there's a bottleneck on their end. All 3 checks are green and it's been "processing" for probably 2 or 3 weeks now.

Any insight?

Yup, me too...and then to have it kicked back to me after 6.5 weeks with "change all your quarter grades to semester conversion and resubmit and pay"....
If I have to pay again I won't submit AACOMAS this year. Stinks too because I'm very interested in ATSU-SOMA. Wish I could just apply there directly.
sigh.....

You may consider resubmitting, but just applying to ATSU....thats not too much cash.

I got a q. I have been pursuing academic renewal at this school I attended about a decade ago (yea, im old) I just got a notice that they changed one of my grades from an F to a W. My AACOMAS app is being processed. Do I send a new transcript? Will AACOMAS just update the grade or will they kick my app back?

Thoughts? :confused:

sigh.....

Do you mean that you went to a semester school and accidentally placed your grades as quarters? I believe you will not have to "pay" again, just make the changes and hit "pay and submit." That is what they did for me when one of my EC's didnt save correctly and i realized it 10min after I paid.

I'll ask a question from another forum that hasnt been answered yet. CBear you may have answered this for me a while ago and your insight will always be appreciated...so ....after 3 weeks of "processing" I noticed that there is a course in the wrong place...what happens with that? Will they correct it or will they undeliver it? If they do make me change it (its a semester off) does that mean i go back in line from the beginning?

Thanks to everyone for all the answers i have learned on this site

Last edited:
Nope, other way around; most of my schools were on quarters and I have to convert the quarter grades to semester grades. Dummy me, for some reason I guess I thought they would be converted automatically since I didn't have to do this for AMCAS (or if I should have, nobody complained about the conversion and it got done).
I sincerely hope I don't have to pay again. The person who emailed me from AACOMAS initially told me to email her again before I resubmitted, so I did that and am waiting for a response.
Thanks...holding my breath.

Do you mean that you went to a semester school and accidentally placed your grades as quarters? I believe you will not have to "pay" again, just make the changes and hit "pay and submit." That is what they did for me when one of my EC's didnt save correctly and i realized it 10min after I paid.

I'll ask a question from another forum that hasnt been answered yet. CBear you may have answered this for me a while ago and your insight will always be appreciated...so ....after 3 weeks of "processing" I noticed that there is a course in the wrong place...what happens with that? Will they correct it or will they undeliver it? If they do make me change it (its a semester off) does that mean i go back in line from the beginning?

I might, if I have to, and PCOM-GA too, but other than that, meh. Of course then we get back to the topic of putting too many of my eggs in the MD basket. *sigh*

You may consider resubmitting, but just applying to ATSU....thats not too much cash.

okay so maybe i'm not looking well enough, but once you're verified, shouldn't you be able to find the overall and science GPA's as determined by AACOMAS? I thought I would found something like that in the coursework section, but I couldn't find it in any section of my app. Am I looking in the wrong place, or am I looking for something that doesn't exist? :confused:

My AACOMAS has been "processing" for a good 4 1/2 weeks now. I sure as hell hope if something is wrong, they just bloody fix it and be done with it. If they make me fix it and I have to start all over, i'll lose it.

okay so maybe i'm not looking well enough, but once you're verified, shouldn't you be able to find the overall and science GPA's as determined by AACOMAS? I thought I would found something like that in the coursework section, but I couldn't find it in any section of my app. Am I looking in the wrong place, or am I looking for something that doesn't exist? :confused:

On the main page, you should see STATUS. Under that, it will say RELEASED XX/XX/XX View. Click VIEW, and you'll download a pdf. There you'll find your GPAs.

If you don't see this, it hasn't been enough time since you were verified. It may take a few weeks.

I looked at my verified app the other day and saw a couple of courses in the wrong place. So they might just overlook it. Otherwise, my best guess is that they'll just correct it, like AMCAS would. I don't think it would affect your verification time by more than 10 minutes.

I got a q. I have been pursuing academic renewal at this school I attended about a decade ago (yea, im old) I just got a notice that they changed one of my grades from an F to a W. My AACOMAS app is being processed. Do I send a new transcript? Will AACOMAS just update the grade or will they kick my app back?

Thoughts? :confused:

Not sure what "academic renewal" is, nor do I know exactly how this would be handled. It seems like you would submit a new transcript and they would just change the grade, but perhaps that's just a little too easy for them. :rolleyes:

Any insight?

Perhaps they received one of your transcripts later?

Hard to say, but they've been at 6 weeks of processing time for a while. If they slowed down to 8 or so before the cycle is over, it wouldn't surprise me.

ok....
I realized much like primadonna that I never did the quarter adjustment. I assumed that because when I made a new "term" and selected "quarter" that the adjustment in hours (5.0q hours = 3.3 sem hours) was made automatically. I emailed AACOMAS that this needs to be corrected (so that I too dont wait 6.5 wks only to have a bounced back app)

Cbear..do you know if doing this will require me to start over verification (as you can tell I am very worried about this and since they lost a transcript putting me even more behind i am starting to worry that I wont get in anywhere if this doesnt get a move on)

your thoughts are always appreciated

I have a question. I just was verified a few days ago from AACOMAS. Today, due to some scheduling conflicts with work I had to drop a class that I had listed on my application as "in progress." Since my application was already sent out, do I need to update my app and resubmit it or anything? If so, does that take another 6 weeks? Or do I just leave it alone and explain it in the interview?

My AACOMAS application was verified a week and a half ago, then sent out 9/17. I have only received the secondary from CCOM so far, how long does it take for other schools to send their secondaries? I have a 3.87 and 28P, so I'm pretty sure I meet the minimum requirements. I just want to get secondaries in so I'm not too late. Any info?

I have a question. I just was verified a few days ago from AACOMAS. Today, due to some scheduling conflicts with work I had to drop a class that I had listed on my application as "in progress." Since my application was already sent out, do I need to update my app and resubmit it or anything? If so, does that take another 6 weeks? Or do I just leave it alone and explain it in the interview?

You won't have to be reverified. Just contact AACOMAS. They should update your app and resend it to your schools.

My AACOMAS application was verified a week and a half ago, then sent out 9/17. I have only received the secondary from CCOM so far, how long does it take for other schools to send their secondaries? I have a 3.87 and 28P, so I'm pretty sure I meet the minimum requirements. I just want to get secondaries in so I'm not too late. Any info?

You're definitely not too late, and you won't get screened unless one of your sections was less than a 7, maybe. Give it another week. If you don't start seeing them roll into your inbox, let the schools know. They're just busy interviewing right now.

Hey all-
I know this was probably addressed already but I can't find it...
My AACOMAS just got verified. It says "release dates are next to schools" but there's nothing there. Is this a problem? Also, when might I start expecting secondaries from the schools to which I applied (MSU-COM, CCOM)?
Thanks!

Hey all-
I know this was probably addressed already but I can't find it...
My AACOMAS just got verified. It says "release dates are next to schools" but there's nothing there. Is this a problem? Also, when might I start expecting secondaries from the schools to which I applied (MSU-COM, CCOM)?
Thanks!

DOn't worry, it took a little while for the dates to actually show up for me as well.

Took about 3 weeks for me to hear from CCOM.

And GAH I just feel like venting about how poor I've become. 2500$ spent on MCAT/apps so far, and its only going to get worse. I barely made any money over the summer since the majority of the work I was doing was non paying (and gas is ****ing killing me). I don't have the money to do anything. I'm debating taking my old crap job working at a desk at my tennis club for the lousy 50$ a week I'll get just because I'm so broke.

Last edited:
I've seen a lot of people asking questions about updating their grades on AACOMAS, but what about EC's? I really want to add something under awards. I submitted about three weeks ago. Do you thingk that it would be ok if I add this one more thing and then resubmit? Will this slow my app down or put me at the back of the line?

Thanks

I've seen a lot of people asking questions about updating their grades on AACOMAS, but what about EC's? I really want to add something under awards. I submitted about three weeks ago. Do you thingk that it would be ok if I add this one more thing and then resubmit? Will this slow my app down or put me at the back of the line?

Thanks

I would just send a letter or updated CV to the schools admissions offices directly. Thats what I have done (even thought not verified yet...or ever) and the schools all said that it will be added to my file. I like not having to go through AACOMAS for it. I added some more shadowing experiences, research that I recently started etc.

My AACOMAS has been verified, but I cannot find a verified cumGPA and sGPA, all it does is list all my courses.....can someone direct me as to where to find this info???

haha i just had this problem yesterday...

you need to wait until AACOMAS actually sends your application out to the schools you're applying to (this might take a week or two once you app has been verified). once this is done, there will be dates that appear next to the schools listed, and a review link next to it. Once you click that link, you should be able to find what you're looking for.

I would just send a letter or updated CV to the schools admissions offices directly. Thats what I have done (even thought not verified yet...or ever) and the schools all said that it will be added to my file. I like not having to go through AACOMAS for it. I added some more shadowing experiences, research that I recently started etc.

Ok, that sounds like a good plan. Thanks for the advice.

quick question...i submitted my aacomas application about a week ago and only 3 out of the 4 transcripts were received because one of the schools I have listed is a graduate school which I just started so there is no transcript available...the status of my application says processing...is that going to delay the appliaction process or am I fine?