2007 Non-Trad Applicants' Progress Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Of course it is frustrating to have an interviewer ask such a question because I took four graduate courses last year and did really well in them, pharmacology and biochemistry to name a few. In any case thanks for your support. I'll keep my chin up!

Definately keep it up high. No worries. I work at Hahnemann so if you want me to slash any tires for you, just say the word:)

Did you take those grad courses in a formal program like a BIO MED CERTIFICATE?

Members don't see this ad.

First of all, I have read this entire thread and I think the support in this thread comes from the fact that we (the non-traditionals) know that we aren't competing with anyone but ourselves (at least that is how I feel).

Second, I would like to congradulate all those that have received interviews and acceptances (even better in my opinion). Way to go!:thumbup:

Just a touch about myself I am 29M and just starting my pursuits of Medical School at least academically anyway. I haven't taken a lot school as I didn't want to waste time in majors that I knew I wouldn't complete (I hate wasting time). So I have a long road ahead of me but I have to tell you I am VERY pumped about the whole process even though I have a ways to go (at least 2 1/2 yrs before I can apply) I wanted to start my prep early. So, anyway thanks for all your help/support and I'll try to do the same for you.

Definately keep it up high. No worries. I work at Hahnemann so if you want me to slash any tires for you, just say the word:)

Did you take those grad courses in a formal program like a BIO MED CERTIFICATE?

Haha thanks faze2. When my application was in the limbo eight week period I got two flat tires on the way to work and on the 5 freeway of all places. I would not wish that on anyone!

Right now I am working full time and pursuing an MA degree.

Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting to hear back from most of my schools, although apparently Rosalind Franklin has decided I'd be an excellent applicant for podiatry.

Hold me back.

Still waiting to hear back from most of my schools, although apparently Rosalind Franklin has decided I'd be an excellent applicant for podiatry.

Hold me back.
i feel you, quix. i'm still waiting to hear from 13 schools.

i'm getting excited for my UAB interview next week though...got my itinerary today :)

Yeah, my Pitt interview is coming up on the 23rd. The nice part is that one of my studies just got IRB approval (and I should have the second approved next week), so I can start data collection in the next week or so, and I'll have something interesting to talk about at the interview. The textbook is coming along - I finished all of my chapters, and am now waiting for the other authors to send me theirs so I can edit and revise them. My research director just indicated that he wants me and another physician to take his chapter in another textbook (this one due in June). I start teaching again a week from Monday, so I'm reading a Logic textbook cover to cover in the meantime. January is keeping me busy, so I can focus on other things than putting myself on the line in Scaife. :scared:

wow, quix, sounds like you're pretty busy!! good luck with the pitt interview...knock 'em dead!

i just got another interview invite today...at robert wood johnson (UMDNJ)! yay :)
not sure if it's md/phd...they haven't been in touch with me about that yet. but i'm pumped for another interview!

Accepted by UNECOM, waitlisted by UMDNJ-SOM and have 2 more interview invites that I will most likely cancel. LECOM-Erie and NSU

Congrats to MSVDM and everyone else who got accepted. To those that did not, this is my second round of applications after 14 rejections last year. If this is what you want, keep at it.

WTG! your hard work and dedication really paid off! :luck:

wow, quix, sounds like you're pretty busy!! good luck with the pitt interview...knock 'em dead!

i just got another interview invite today...at robert wood johnson (UMDNJ)! yay :)
not sure if it's md/phd...they haven't been in touch with me about that yet. but i'm pumped for another interview!

Hey Scentimint. I love your custom title. That move is the best :thumbup: You a BAD mailman!

Hey Scentimint. I love your custom title. That move is the best :thumbup: You a BAD mailman!
thanks dude! :)

i'm at UAB right now...just spent the day full of MD and faculty interviews for the PhD program. it's awesome!! i am so ready for a nap though!

Hi y'all,

I'm a non-trad as well (in my late 30s) and I'm looking forward to starting med school late this summer @ BCM (my 1st choice & I found out at the earliest possible date back in October).

Looks like many non-trads are doing pretty well this interview season. Congrats to all of you who already have acceptances and for those of you who are still waiting, best of luck. If you're nervous, remember that there are still many people waiting who will get an acceptance. :luck:

Hello fellow non-trads! First post here at SDN. Haven't even started the AAMCAS yet, will be taking the MCAT this coming August, and just working my butt off until then. Right now, I'm thinking about applying to 30+ schools (oh, the confidence :laugh: ), but the final number of schools I apply to will probably all boil down to how good or bad my MCAT scores will be.

Its good to hear that someone else is taking the MCAT later in the summer. I am planning on taking it then, and well I am just down right antsy. I am trying to get " all my ducks in a row" before applications can begin to go out,but I just keep thinking I am forgetting something. I actually contacted a school last semester (during the class)to make sure a class I took would be accepted. The admissions advisor told me it was acceptable and now a professor is telling me it might not. I just hope I don't have anymore suprises!:(

Its good to hear that someone else is taking the MCAT later in the summer. I am planning on taking it then, and well I am just down right antsy. I am trying to get " all my ducks in a row" before applications can begin to go out,but I just keep thinking I am forgetting something. I actually contacted a school last semester (during the class)to make sure a class I took would be accepted. The admissions advisor told me it was acceptable and now a professor is telling me it might not. I just hope I don't have anymore suprises!:(

I used a book (Gold Standard) to review for the exam, and AAMC's online exams (the most recent two, plus the free one) to prep for the MCAT, which I thought were the closest thing to the real test.

As far as the AMCAS, I wish I'd finished it sooner rather than later. I submitted it for verification at the end of August, and it didn't go out to med schools until the beginning to middle of November. What one can do is just select one school, to get the application verified by AAMC, and then add more schools later. I didn't have my MCAT scores in time for the schools with Oct 15 deadline, which was kind of a bummer. That's the major downside to taking the August MCAT.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
I have nothing of significance to add, aside from noting that:

(1) I haven't been able to log onto Jefferson's site for months, so I have no idea what my status is, and

(2) I've had the same add for cheapbooks.com at the bottom of my page for a long time now, but if it were actually pronounced using the Greek letters in the ad, it would sound like "sesrlbththks.com", which isn't as easy to remember.

It sure would be nice to know where we're going to end up at. As non-trads we have perhaps more ties (house/spouse's job/etc) that we need to worry about if we need to move. Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for having options. Just waiting on a few more schools to make the final decision.

With school supposed to start in 7 months or so, anyone else getting a little antsy?

It sure would be nice to know where we're going to end up at. As non-trads we have perhaps more ties (house/spouse's job/etc) that we need to worry about if we need to move. Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for having options. Just waiting on a few more schools to make the final decision.

With school supposed to start in 7 months or so, anyone else getting a little antsy?
Me!!! I'm antsy!!! I really thought I'd get other allopathic interviews by now, all my ducks are in a row... .but the GPA situation probably screwed me over the most.

Ahh, well, Buffalo is known for letting in people off their waitlist, and I've already got a great apartment here!

I have nothing of significance to add, aside from noting that:

(1) I haven't been able to log onto Jefferson's site for months, so I have no idea what my status is, and

(2) I've had the same add for cheapbooks.com at the bottom of my page for a long time now, but if it were actually pronounced using the Greek letters in the ad, it would sound like "sesrlbththks.com", which isn't as easy to remember.
quix, the jefferson status is not updated ever, so don't worry about it. it only indicates if all of your items have been received by the office, and you can verify that by a phone call if you can't login. besides which...I've been complete there since August and I haven't heard so much as a cough or a sneeze from their direction.

Me!!! I'm antsy!!! I really thought I'd get other allopathic interviews by now, all my ducks are in a row... .but the GPA situation probably screwed me over the most.

Ahh, well, Buffalo is known for letting in people off their waitlist, and I've already got a great apartment here!
i am very antsy as well, guys. mostly b/c i still have 2 interviews coming up and i'm still waiting to hear back from 14 schools, a few of which have interviews all the way through march!

until i have an acceptance in hand, it's going to be very stressful. but at least we know we're not alone! :luck: everyone!! :D

good luck sporty:):luck: To answer your question in the other forum I am actually a graduate student (MS) finishing up my last semester. I also went to UB for undergrad, born and raised in the B-lo:) lol.
I need to start deciding where I am going to live (either by Elmwood or closer to South campus). Although I have considered Williamsville or Amherst bc I am pretty quiet when I am home, so I need piece and quiet during med school. (Ahh I can imagine my frustration at the college kids partying it up and me trying to study or sleep:laugh:

i am very antsy as well, guys. mostly b/c i still have 2 interviews coming up and i'm still waiting to hear back from 14 schools, a few of which have interviews all the way through march!

until i have an acceptance in hand, it's going to be very stressful. but at least we know we're not alone! :luck: everyone!! :D

You know I am right there with you all. 2 interviews and no acceptances yet, with no new prospects emerging yet. I am really looking forward to seeing where we all end up though (note the positive assumption in the statement ;)) Gotta keep thinking positive!

The podiatrists must really want me. I got a letter today from the American Podiatric Medical Association, Inc. today. Perhaps I should add "I do not have a foot fetish" to all of my medical school and AMCAS correspondence.

And thanks, scenti!

Another podiatry letter today.

Plus I officially expressed interest in Pitt's Clinical Scientist Training Program (CSTP); I just hope that I managed to come across as experienced and qualified, and not as a raging egomaniac. This program looks absolutely awesome, and would be a huge help in re: $$$.

I think I'm giving up hope for this cycle. Many of my friends, some who submitted when I did in September or later already have acceptances. With no interview invites at this late date, it's pretty much over. Now to figure out what the heck happened. :(

I think I'm giving up hope for this cycle. Many of my friends, some who submitted when I did in September or later already have acceptances. With no interview invites at this late date, it's pretty much over. Now to figure out what the heck happened. :(

You will make it. Just remain patient. Verily, with every difficulty comes ease.

:)

Lifetime, I'll be giving up my Albany interview. Maybe they'll give it to you. :)

I think that there will be a lot of people getting accepted later this month and into Feb, and that will free up interview spots elsewhere. Don't give up yet!:thumbup:

Thanks scentimint!

Noeljan, I got my MS from UB as well. Did you do the roswell program?

Gripes available to all: My main academic flaw is a C- in General Chemistry II... bad semester all around... and I'm thinking about taking it again starting on MONDAY and sending a letter to all my schools this weekend.

I called around, and my application has been "in committee" at all the schools since september. Maybe this will jump start it!

I was advised that it wasn't necessary to retake because of my MCATs but it's kind of a crucial flaw it seems now.

Another podiatry letter today.

Plus I officially expressed interest in Pitt's Clinical Scientist Training Program (CSTP); I just hope that I managed to come across as experienced and qualified, and not as a raging egomaniac. This program looks absolutely awesome, and would be a huge help in re: $$$.
that program IS great. i read lots about it (and also the PSTP) before and after my interview. i hope you get in to pitt, and specifically to that program. :luck: on your interview :)

that program IS great. i read lots about it (and also the PSTP) before and after my interview. i hope you get in to pitt, and specifically to that program. :luck: on your interview :)

Thanks, scenti. You have provided nothing but support throughout this process. If you ever make it to Pittsburgh, I owe you a beer. ;)

haemuluon: congrats!

quix: good luck at your big day tomorrow! great weather for it :laugh: go in shooting. i'll hold off on those Children's Hospital bomb threats to put them in a good mood :thumbup: (note to federal agents: I am just kidding and am in no way connected to these terrible crimes)

lifetimedoc: I got absolutely no allo interviews myself. have you considered DO?

Good luck all!

The decompression margaritas are still metabolizing out of my system (Jebus bless a healthy liver). The interviews went well; my MS1 interviewer was also from Georgetown, so we bonded over recollections of the hilltop and some of the professors we shared. That hour went quickly. There was some confusion about my faculty interviewer; I was initially meant to interview with the Dean, but ended up interviewing with another critical care clinician. Ironically, his office was right next door (literally!) to the clinician with whom I've been researching since May. I'm hoping an occasional good word will be shared.

Aside from the usual "Why medicine" questions, we had a protracted discussion about the plasticity of human nature, whether consciousness was epiphenomenal, and other more abstract discussions; I really enjoyed it. He said that he was "favorably inclined" towards me, and that "I can see a place for you...[pause] someone like you here." I'm hoping it was a Freudian slip. We'll see what happens; I'll be sending thank you e-mails tomorrow, and I'll actually see him again (considering I have weekly meetings there). Knock on wood, we'll be able to score another one for the non-trads.

The decompression margaritas are still metabolizing out of my system (Jebus bless a healthy liver). The interviews went well; my MS1 interviewer was also from Georgetown, so we bonded over recollections of the hilltop and some of the professors we shared. That hour went quickly. There was some confusion about my faculty interviewer; I was initially meant to interview with the Dean, but ended up interviewing with another critical care clinician. Ironically, his office was right next door (literally!) to the clinician with whom I've been researching since May. I'm hoping an occasional good word will be shared.

Aside from the usual "Why medicine" questions, we had a protracted discussion about the plasticity of human nature, whether consciousness was epiphenomenal, and other more abstract discussions; I really enjoyed it. He said that he was "favorably inclined" towards me, and that "I can see a place for you...[pause] someone like you here." I'm hoping it was a Freudian slip. We'll see what happens; I'll be sending thank you e-mails tomorrow, and I'll actually see him again (considering I have weekly meetings there). Knock on wood, we'll be able to score another one for the non-trads.
did you go to mad mex? they have the BEST post-interview/anytime happy hour margaritas. :D

i'm so glad your interviews went well! i hope you hear good things from them...it certainly sounds like you will! :)

Quix, sounds like you got the interviewers to like you - if want to go to bat for you during committee meetings, you're much more likely to get accepted.

I know you've been pining for that interview to come up for months now. I'm glad to hear that it went well. Did they say how long it might be before you hear back from them?

Ok... so when are we having a Pgher's non-trad Happy Hour/get together?

Ok... so when are we having a Pgher's non-trad Happy Hour/get together?
i'm actually a pgher removed in boston right now...but i will be back there the weekend of feb. 9, so maybe we can hook something up then?