2006 NC Med Schools Acceptance/Rejection Thread part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2DEG said:
Dr. Giggles:

Congratulations on your UNC acceptance. I hope others get good news too even though its almost July.

I went to talk to Dr. Peden yesterday. I was really impressed that he prepared so well to advice us on improving our application. He went through our files before the meeting and took notes. During our individual meeting, he read excerpts from the reports written by four adcom members (two interviewers and two non-interviewers).

I was pleased to hear the positive things they wrote. Two negative things that was in all four reports. One was the lack of clinical experience. I don't have any disagreement with that. I have shadowed at a primary care clinic and I am also part of a team that is trying to establish a hemodialysis center in Bangladesh. Its a part of Bangladesh where there is no such facility right now. It was a mistake on my part to think that thats medical experience. Its a huge project in terms of money and management. But I do agree it doesn't give me clinical exposure. I am starting two volunteer work from tomorrow to improve on that.

Anyways, I want opinion from anyone on the second thing that kept popping up in all four reports. The concern is with me not fitting well with the mission of the school.

I have tried my best to explain that I have been living in the U.S since 1992, and in NC since 1997. We have a house, my daughter was born here, we have all the intentions to live in NC. I declined a very good job offer from Minnesota to stay in NC. If I go to a out of state school, I want to come to NC and serve NC.

This issue is a bit frustrating because even though I was not born and raised in NC.. I really love this place and I want to practice here in future. I am more sure about that than what field of medicine I want to get into even though I really like primary care.

Because of the type of job (Semiconductor Industry), I cannot just move to anywhere in NC and prove that I love living in rural NC or such. In the end, it seems to me that it comes down to my words..whether they believe me. I love small town atmosphere. Another thing, I feel very strongly about is - if I go to ECU or UNC..tax payers are paying for my education. In a way, I feel very obligated to give something back in return.

Sorry for the long post. But I would appreciate any comment here or PM. I am just afraid that even if I get additional clinical experience, do better in MCAT, I might be stuck with the notion that I do not fit well with the mission of the school.

Thanks,
S.
Thanks for the congrats.

Where are you going to volunteer? Have you considered looking for an opportunity in one of the lesser populated counties (Chatham, Person, Granville) of the area? It would be a pretty awful commute, but I think if you devoted time to working in a less urban area and explained your motivation for doing it, ECU would probably be impressed. If that isn't feasible, maybe you could volunteer for Habitat for Humanity one Saturday a month in such an area. I think the best thing you can do is show that you feel comfortable serving the needs of North Carolinians beyond those that fit the demographics of a larger city, such as Durham. Although it's probably hard to find a "rural" experience in this area, I think some diversity in your service could go a long way.

I know that full-time work, family, and MCAT/applications leave you little free time, and I wouldn't sacrifice too much just for the sake of impressing ECU, where there doesn't seem to be much method to the admissions madness. If you get in the 30s on the MCAT, you will probably have a decent shot at some other nearby schools, like Wake, UNC, EVMS, or VCU. It would be great to see you pull it off.

Members don't see this ad.

Dr. Giggles said:
Thanks for the congrats.

Where are you going to volunteer? Have you considered looking for an opportunity in one of the lesser populated counties (Chatham, Person, Granville) of the area? It would be a pretty awful commute, but I think if you

Right now, I have worked out a plan to do two volunteer activities - one is at UNC. I will be doing some stroke related research actually. But I will have good patient interaction. The other place is at Lincoln community health center in Durham. I will help in their smoke cessation program. Should I tell the patients that I smoke 3 packs a day? :)

After MCAT, I am gonna consider going outside RDU area and shadow/volunteer at some clinics/hospitals.

Thanks for your consistent good wishes and encouragements.

Happy 4th to all and congrats Dr. Giggles!

I guess a good saying for SDNers is "it isn't over until classes start"

For UNC, that's sometime in mid-August. For Wakelisters, it's the "the week after school begins in July" (according to their waitlist letter). Not much time remaining for Wakelisters, but good luck to everyone still waiting.

Also, someone needs to start the official "2007 NC Med Schools Acceptance/Rejection Thread."

Members don't see this ad :)
nimotsu said:
Also, someone needs to start the official "2007 NC Med Schools Acceptance/Rejection Thread."

Someone better not start the 2007 thread! :mad: I'm gonna start it as soon as secondaries start going out for NC schools. :p

This year has got to be my year! I really don't want to do this again next year. :rolleyes:

Last year I started this thread a bit early and people were complaining since the previous application cycle wasn't technically over yet, so I'm gonna wait. And besides, there's not much action here so I don't think there would be much action on the new thread either. Most people probably don't even have their AMCAS submitted yet.

Happy 4th, everyone! Here in the MED Program at UNC, we had three tests today, and get tomorrow off. They're having a cookout at 12 noon. It's supposed to be 97 degrees tomorrow. Great planning, right? :p I'm gonna reluctantly go, but if you see me on here complaining about a sunburn or heat exhaustion, you'll know why.

mustangsally65 said:
This year has got to be my year! I really don't want to do this again next year. :rolleyes:

I hope so... you're one of the most positive people on SDN. :)

I just got accepted to Wake Forest today!!! My first acceptance!!!

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

CMar830 said:

Congratulations :)

That's awesome CMar! Well done.

CMar830 said:

Now you have to put your name on the Official Thread of Miracles so others can have hope next summer! Congrats! :thumbup:

Congrats to registered_user for getting into Wake Forest :hardy:! Their waitlist really does move (current applicants take note).

Dr. Giggles said:
Congrats to registered_user for getting into Wake Forest :hardy:! Their waitlist really does move (current applicants take note).

Thanks! You get engaged, go on vacation a week and a half later, then Wake adcomm calls a week and a half after that and leaves you a message that you don't get for several days cause you've been in the backcountry, and all hell breaks loose. Looks like I'll be flying back from paradise a week early, but its definitely worth it to stay in NC. Cheers everyone, and best of luck to those still waiting!

Congrats, registered_user! :hardy: That's awesome news. Classes start pretty soon, don't they? I think last year Wake started July 25. Hope you can get everything done in time!
:luck:

mustangsally65 said:
Congrats, registered_user! :hardy: That's awesome news. Classes start pretty soon, don't they? I think last year Wake started July 25. Hope you can get everything done in time!
:luck:
Thanks, Sally! Yeah orientation starts July 24. Finding a place, moving, and being ready to start = :scared: !

Status
Not open for further replies.