2006 NC Med Schools Acceptance/Rejection Thread part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mustangsally65

Sally 2.0
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
As suggested by seethrew (accepted off the waitlist for UNC's class of 2009 as an out-of-stater!) and in recognition of the start of a new application cycle today, I'm starting this thread.

The 2004 thread was started by franklinthedog, and the 2005 thread was led by our fearless leader i61164, who is starting at Wake in the fall. Both of the previous threads were only for the state schools, but I thought I would expand upon that because most of us NC residents will apply to either Duke or Wake as well.

I am a reapplicant, and am applying to UNC, ECU, and Wake Forest. My application will be submitted when April MCAT scores are released in the next few weeks. I graduated with a degree in English and in Psychology in 2004, and live in the mountains of western NC.

Post something about yourself, and where you will be applying.

And happy application cycle 2006! :luck:

Members don't see this ad.

mustangsally65 said:
As suggested by seethrew (accepted off the waitlist for UNC's class of 2009 as an out-of-stater!) and in recognition of the start of a new application cycle today, I'm starting this thread.

The 2004 thread was started by franklinthedog, and the 2005 thread was led by our fearless leader i61164, who is starting at Wake in the fall. Both of the previous threads were only for the state schools, but I thought I would expand upon that because most of us NC residents will apply to either Duke or Wake as well.

I am a reapplicant, and am applying to UNC, ECU, and Wake Forest. My application will be submitted when April MCAT scores are released in the next few weeks. I graduated with a degree in English and in Psychology in 2004, and live in the mountains of western NC.

Post something about yourself, and where you will be applying.

And happy application cycle 2006! :luck:

History has shown that there will be a happy ending for the one that starts this thread. Good move. Remember, schools probably won't even look at your app until July or August so get in some extra clinical stuff now before you submit AMCAS. It's better to submit mid-July with more EC's than submit now with less. I found that for clinical experience, a free clinic is a good place to start. :luck:

GOOD LUCK TO Y'ALL! :luck: :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
woooooo-hoooooo lets start this thread wit some tequila and cheesecake!!!
:hardy:

gluck all y'all newbies... loosen yer collar and pull up a chair - get ready fer the LONG haul!!! :laugh: so pace yerself, and try to maintain adequate sense of humor thru this year... ;)

:luck: :luck: :luck:

EDIT: an oh yeah... if u r an out of stater and unc is your number one choice... i *highly* recommend movin yer ass down to nc very soon. it takes one year to gain residency for tuition purposes - exactly. if u r an out of stater now, then u will be for the *whole* application cycle, which is rough, but u may be able to do a status change to instate residency *after* being accepted and *before* starting your first year if u can claim your residency begins in nc before august 2005. as u know there is a big difference in tuition based on residency. those who want more specific tips on what they look for in residency apps pm me.

what?!?! did i hear somefin about tequila and cheesecake?!?!

good luck ya'll...ahh the memories.
remember: it's all very random so try not to take things so seriously.

yaaay sally...2006...woohooooo.

i'll be applyin to duke, wake, unc, and probably ecu as well.. i'm an out of stater who loves NC.. what can i say.. i love the accent

bjb305 said:
i'll be applyin to duke, wake, unc, and probably ecu as well.. i'm an out of stater who loves NC.. what can i say.. i love the accent

I wouldn't waste my time with ECU if I were you. They do not accept out-of-staters.

well that's crap.. they should at least CONSIDER out of staters

bjb305 said:
well that's crap.. they should at least CONSIDER out of staters

If by CONSIDER you mean take your money and then reject you, they might be willing to do that. :smuggrin: On the bright side, at least you know your chances are 0% going in. With some schools (like Hawaii) you have a 0.01% chance, which leads to a false sense of hope. Don't feel too bad though. ECU rejects most NCians too (the first time they apply). If you're intersted in state schools that take lots of out-of-staters, I hear U Mich is one.

well then i guess ECU is off my list

You could also take a look at EVMS. I hear it's similar to ECU but they take some out-of-staters and it's right on the coast (Norfolk, VA).

NEXT years THREAD title:
EAST Coast medical school acceptance/rejection thread

bjb305 said:
- if you want to get into unc - read my earlier thread.
- you cant even check-box ecu on amcas if you are an out of stater, at least you couldn't last year.
- last year wake forest would give interviews appointments after *you* called to check up on your status. that is if you are somehow ranked interviewable. not earlier than september i imagine.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey, thanks everybody for checking in, and for the tips for us 2006 applicants.

So when I apply to Wake, does everyone get a secondary, and if I get a secondary, I should call in October to set up an interview/check my status?

Thanks for the info. I didn't apply to Wake last year.

Well, all the "Class of 2009" threads just got moved to the Allopathic forums, and I'm still here in Pre-Allo. :mad: Just thought I'd bump up my thread, since the ECU/UNC 2005 thread is gone now. Don't forget to come back and visit, guys! There'll always be more tequilla and cheesecake for us all!

I meant to post a link to the 2005 thread, so here it is.

Here's the 2004 thread: 2004

mustangsally65 said:
Hey, thanks everybody for checking in, and for the tips for us 2006 applicants.

So when I apply to Wake, does everyone get a secondary, and if I get a secondary, I should call in October to set up an interview/check my status?

Thanks for the info. I didn't apply to Wake last year.

Not everyone gets a secondary. Once you turn in the secondary, the fee, and your letters, they will send you an e-mail telling you that your file is complete. Call them a day or two after you get that e-mail to inquire about your application status. Also, feel free to write an essay about why you like Wake Forest and want to go there. Enter it in the box that says "Personal Comments (Complete if you have additional comments or something specific to say to the school)."

:luck:

Yeah, you definitely need to call to recieve an interview. It's sort of funny, without SDN I wouldn't have known to call and wouldn't have interviewed there. Now I'm going to Wake in the Fall. Thanks SDNers!

nockamura said:
Yeah, you definitely need to call to recieve an interview. It's sort of funny, without SDN I wouldn't have known to call and wouldn't have interviewed there. Now I'm going to Wake in the Fall. Thanks SDNers!

Me too. SDN gave me the heads-up to call and gave me many of the exact interview questions that were asked (on interview feedback). I'm not talking about general questions like "Why medicine" or "Why Wake." There were several specific questions that I prepared for and I totally rocked the interview as a result.

Without SDN I probably would not be going to Wake on a BOG scholarship. I should really make a donation. :oops:

Alright, I did it. I am now an SDN Angel. I need this site to survive for the next couple of years so that I can use the USMLE, Clinical Rotations, and Residency forums. Save SDN!!! You know it's worth it.

yeah ahm never got the call ahead to wake memo
pre gdubb sdn days
so no interview.
no acceptance.
no bog.
i'm not bitter though.
really, i'm not.
:p :rolleyes:

Hey everybody. I am also a reapplicant. I am applying to UNC, ECU, and EVMS...maybe a couple of more but I don't know where else I would want to go or where I would be competitive. I live in Charlotte right now but may be moving to Nashville or Charleston for a research position. I love soccer, crazy about UNC basketball, and am particularly fond of tequila shots. Although I just got back from cancun with my mom and sister and all the tequila shots my mom and I had took kind of a toll on me if you know what I mean. Anyways, its good to be here and good luck to all.

-G

xraygray said:
Hey everybody. I am also a reapplicant. I am applying to UNC, ECU, and EVMS...maybe a couple of more but I don't know where else I would want to go or where I would be competitive. I live in Charlotte right now but may be moving to Nashville or Charleston for a research position. I love soccer, crazy about UNC basketball, and am particularly fond of tequila shots. Although I just got back from cancun with my mom and sister and all the tequila shots my mom and I had took kind of a toll on me if you know what I mean. Anyways, its good to be here and good luck to all.

-G

If you want to get into UNC or ECU I would advise against moving to TN or SC. You could lose your NC in-state status.

Welcome to the thread, xraygray.

I know what you mean about not knowing where you'll be happy. I applied last year, and didn't apply to many schools, so I"m reapplying this year to more schools, but if I know deep down that I don't want to go to a particular school, I'm not going to bother to apply there. Why waste the money?

Have you looked at Wake or Duke? What about the SC schools, or VA or TN ones? Also, don't move out of NC. You'll lose residency like i6 said.

Good luck with your decision, and keep posting here! We need all the NCers we can get! :thumbup:

Way to donate, i6! I noticed your avatar was bigger yesterday.

And gdubb, sorry to hear that. I didn't apply to Wake last year, but if I had, I wouldn't have known to do that either.

if you move out of NC how long does it take to lose residency? say if i move to TN then will i officially lose my NC resident status as soon as I move?

xraygray said:
if you move out of NC how long does it take to lose residency? say if i move to TN then will i officially lose my NC resident status as soon as I move?

I don't know how long it takes, but is the place in TN that you are wanting to move to close to the NC border so you could commute to work?

Maybe call UNC and ask?

mustangsally65 said:
I don't know how long it takes, but is the place in TN that you are wanting to move to close to the NC border so you could commute to work?

Maybe call UNC and ask?
ask for randee alston about that - i think she is important in the residency determination department... 962-8331. she helped me a lot wit residency stuff over the past year.

thanks for the help. i called the number you gave and they told me that as long as I don't begin to establish residency in TN and file NC resident taxes and TN taxes as a non-resident i should be straight as long as I return in 12 months. oh and the job is in nashville so commuting is not really an option. thanks again.

bumping us up from two weeks ago.

The MCAT scores have been released, and more of us know where we stand. If you are applying to a NC school, join our thread.

I'm retaking the MCAT one last time in August, so I'm studying about 4 hours a day. No work or school, so I'm hoping to improve by at least a point or two in each section.

And all this studying in severly cutting into my SDN time. :mad:

mustangsally65 said:
bumping us up from two weeks ago.

The MCAT scores have been released, and more of us know where we stand. If you are applying to a NC school, join our thread.

I'm retaking the MCAT one last time in August, so I'm studying about 4 hours a day. No work or school, so I'm hoping to improve by at least a point or two in each section.

And all this studying in severly cutting into my SDN time. :mad:

Sorry to hear that Sally. I thought about taking the MCAT again but decided not to. I have a question for you north caroliners. How does UNC look at someone who will only have two year residency. Last application cycle I applied to NJ schools but I can no longer claim residency there since I have lived year round in NC 4 years, even though I was a student I paid taxes here from my job, had an off campus apt year round, and have now worked full time for a year so I am in all reality an NC resident. But will they look at me differently than someone who has lived here for 20 years? My friend who applied last yr and got in, will only have residency officially like a week before matriculation. His MCAT and gpa arent even close to good enough for out of staters so he must have been looked at as in state. Since I will have years , he had days to spare, I should be alright? Anyone know about this? Since I went to Wake that will help convince them I want to be here right?
Also when I talked to Wake admissions they said residency doesnt matter. Yet they interview 25 % in state and only 8 % out of state so obviously it does right? ......

BOBODR said:
I have a question for you north caroliners. How does UNC look at someone who will only have two year residency. Last application cycle I applied to NJ schools but I can no longer claim residency there since I have lived year round in NC 4 years, even though I was a student I paid taxes here from my job, had an off campus apt year round, and have now worked full time for a year so I am in all reality an NC resident. But will they look at me differently than someone who has lived here for 20 years? My friend who applied last yr and got in, will only have residency officially like a week before matriculation. His MCAT and gpa arent even close to good enough for out of staters so he must have been looked at as in state. Since I will have years , he had days to spare, I should be alright? Anyone know about this? Since I went to Wake that will help convince them I want to be here right?
Also when I talked to Wake admissions they said residency doesnt matter. Yet they interview 25 % in state and only 8 % out of state so obviously it does right? ......

As far as I know it's okay as long as you've lived in NC for a year. Seethrew applied as an out of stater last year, and came off the out of state waitlist, but gained residency in late May (?) because she'd been living here for a year. After gaining residency, she's getting in-state tuition.

Someone from last year's thread could better advise you, but I think you're fine as long as you have been here for a year, and you meet this requirement.

Question: if Wake interviews 25% instaters, and 8% out of state, where are the rest of the percentages? Or did you mean 80%? Just wondering.

Welcome to the thread!

hmm. I posted a reply, bobodr, but it isn't showing up.

Here's the news from i6 about residency:

I am not on the ADCOM, but in my opinion, in-state is in-state. They sort the apps into two stacks and pick the cream from both. There is less cream in the in-state stack and they might even have to dip into the 2% to meet their quota. If they look at your app and judge you more harshly because you have only been here for 4 years, then I will eat my words.

Hope this helps!

Hey guys!!

This will be my 2nd year applying to medical schools (probably UNC, ECU, and Wake). Right now I am wait-listed at ECU, but losing hope everyday! I am re-taking the MCAT in August.. and I haven't submitted my AMCAS for this year yet. Better get going .. huh? Good luck to everyone!

NC Resident
Originally from Winston-Salem
Undergrad at Davidson College
Applying to UNC, Duke, and Wake

I will be on this thread alot this year I hope. I went to Wake Forest and currently work at the medical school. I am applying to UNC and Wake as a north carolina resident. Good luck to all of us.

Hey, welcome to the thread, guys! We'll probably start being more active once more people get their apps submitted and realize that this thread exists. It's good to see the thread bumped up, and good luck to you all with getting your apps in and doing secondaries. I submitted on June 20, and got my first secondary today for a non-NC school, so I'll keep ya'll posted on when I get any NC secondaries.

Watch out for the remnants of the hurricane when it comes ashore, they've done a lot of comparisons to Ivan from last fall. Be safe!

So I must confess, I spent the better part of a day reading last year's thread, so now I feel I must post to validate the amount of time spent on here.

I'm applying to UNC/Duke/Wake and 9 other schools. Good luck everybody!

Welcome to the thread, WholeLottaGame! I'm assuming most of ya'll on here are NC residents.

When someone receives a secondary, let us all know!

And stay dry today!

What was the earliest that UNC or Wake secondaries came last year? I was an August MCATer so I didnt pay attention to that but since all my stuff is in already I would like to know.... any idea?

What's up everybody! So who has been verified by AMCAS and is awaiting secondaries? I too am curious as to when we can expect to receive them. I was verified a few weeks ago. Well, hello and :luck:

BOBODR said:
What was the earliest that UNC or Wake secondaries came last year? I was an August MCATer so I didnt pay attention to that but since all my stuff is in already I would like to know.... any idea?

I was an August MCATer last year as well, and didn't get mine until November. However, I know UNC starts interviewing in Sept I think, or early October, so they should be out by the end of August I would hope. I'm processed and verified, so I hope I'll be getting mine soon! Last year CanI got in in the early fall, so he must have gotten his secondary pretty soon after submitting.

Welcome, registered user!

mustangsally65 said:

Thanks Sally. Anyone hear anything from any NC schools, or anywhere else for that matter?

I got a secondary last week from UVa, but the rest of the schools I applied to screen, so I think it will be a few weeks before I get any more. Hoping to hear from the NC schools soon!

I'm applying to Wake :)

Been in New York my whole life (out of state ;) ), but loved Wake when I spent a summer down there my junior year of high school.

I'm a pseudo-out-of-stater, but I THINK UNC will classify me as in-state.

Erm. To make a long story short, I was CA until my parents moved to NC in the middle of my Frosh year of Undergrad. I might be either.

Regardless: UNC-CH and Duke are on my list! Nice t'meetch'all. Now where's my tequila?!

seilienne said:
Regardless: UNC-CH and Duke are on my list! Nice t'meetch'all. Now where's my tequila?!

gdubb was the keeper of the tequilla on the 2005 thread, but you can be the tequilla keeper on this thread, seilienne, if you want to. :D

Nice to meet you, too! Welcome to the thread!

Hey Clocks, as far as I know Wake isn't as picky about out of state vs. in state, unlike UNC and ECU. Welcome to our thread!

mustangsally65 said:
I was an August MCATer last year as well, and didn't get mine until November. However, I know UNC starts interviewing in Sept I think, or early October, so they should be out by the end of August I would hope. I'm processed and verified, so I hope I'll be getting mine soon! Last year CanI got in in the early fall, so he must have gotten his secondary pretty soon after submitting.

Hi everyone.....good luck this year....as you might have read in the last year's thread.....ECU and UNC are very very very slow with the whole process so do not lose heart....hang in there

I received sec on 8th Sept submitted 12th Sept (I think they give you a week or so to complete it but it only has one essay), File completed 21 Sept and got a call for scheduling interview the next day or so, interview on 27th Sept.

So that is my story but individual stories varied a lot ......to get a feel for what happened last year please visit 2005/2006 thread......

as I said in the begining .. be patient and good luck :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck: :luck:

Do you remember what the essay was for UNC?

roboyce said:

It was about your volunteer experiences, or any experience you have had in which you were helping others. They wanted to know about your leadership and other helping skills. It was really short too.

I'll dig around today or tomorrow and see if I can find the exact prompt.

Thanks for checking in, CanI!

roboyce said:

Basically it was name a volunteer experience, research project, leadership project, etc where you showed dedication and independence. I think the word limit was 250 or 300 words.

Status
Not open for further replies.