2005 ROLs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

normalforce

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Well, other disciplines (EM) are starting to post their ROLs. I know it is still kind of early, but I thought I would see if there are any takers willing to list their ROLs. I am going to wait just a bit (I am so weak). But if anyone is so inclined, feel free to post. :D

Members don't see this ad.

I am having a hard time deciding how to rank my top 3 (RIC, Spaulding, Mayo). I welcome peoples thoughts on how and why they would rank them. Thank you.

ok, ok, I'll jump into the cold water....

1. mayo
2. spaulding
3. RIC
4. U of M
5. U of W

.....at least, right now, this minute, today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Since I started the thread, I guess I throw in now.

In no particular order:

RIC
Mayo
UVa
Ohio State
Harvard/Spaulding
VCU-MCV
Michigan
Hopkins
IU

I still have not decided on the order. I will post that when I certify.

Good :luck: to all. :D

i'm having so much difficulty with this. the interview days provide me with such a subjective view. i've talked to other students during my interviews who met with different physicians/personalities and as a result have completely different impressions of programs. i interviewed at a program and met a very unhappy resident and i'm therefore going to rank this program lower on my list, i'm sure the other 19 residents are happy, but i wouldn't know. i liked another program and then spoke to a medical student from the program's respective medical school and who said the PM&R residents are treated like social workers by the rest of the hospital, but they had good facilities and friendly faculty and residents. it gets more difficult when factoring in locations, night life, outdoor activities, living far away from my family and friends.

i think i'll just make as much as an informed decision that i can make when ranking, given that i may not have all the information. also, i did all of my rotations at my medical school's program. in retrospect, i probably should have done some away electives to get a better impression of different programs.

go eagles!

Here are some factors I took into consideration when making my ranklist;

1) Breadth of experience - inpatient v. outpatient, type of patients seen on the inpatient side, time spent inpatient v. outpatient. Also, I was looking at a place where PM&R had tight control of the admits to inpatient (and thus, fewer dumps). Quality of teaching from inpatient faculty also looked at.

2) Procedure experience - number of EMGs completed by graduating residents, when they started EMG training. Also looked at the amount of time spent in the fluoro suite

3) How the jobhunt went for recent graduates

4) Presence/absence of in-house fellowships - want to keep my options open

5) Work hours/residency satisfaction/locale; home call v. in-house call, recreation opportunities, etc.

Remember to call/email any contacts you have from specific questions for any programs you have!

Good luck! :D

Top half in semi-particular order.....give or take a few positions, each........for now......and not accounting for quality of sushi in the area

UW
RIC
Emory
UCLA
NYU
Temple
Hopkins

Happy Valentines Weekend,
Benway

well, i guess i might as well throw mine in ...

spaulding
ric
emory
upenn
columbia/cornell
southwestern
kessler

My top 5 after 2 recertifications...

Mayo
Utah
UVa
Michigan
Ohio State

my top 5 after somewhere b/w 20-30 recerts :oops:

1. Harvard/Spaulding
2. RIC
3. Mayo
4. U of Michigan
5. UVa

Constantly went back and forth, but now we just wait and see.

1. UWashington
2. Mayo
3. RIC
4. Michigan
5. MCV/VCU

Here it is..
1)UW
2) Spaulding
3) RIC
4) Mayo
5)UVA
6) UTSA
7) Schwab
etc etc. Best of luck to you all. THANK GOD this part is over. Now we can wait for the big day. :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
Since I'm less than anonymous on this site I'll submit mine in alphabetical order

Harvard
Jefferson
LSU
Madison
Mayo
RIC
Temple
UPenn

NMLForce- I find it interesting how much less postings there have been this year-especially the 'interview trail' thread-I guess that what happens in the "competitive" specialties

RIC
JFK
Mayo
UTHouston/Baylor
NYU
KU

Not in specific order:

Kessler
Temple
NYU

OK, two probably *****ic questions

1) In a thread entittled Rank Order List, why would anyone list their list "in no particular order, and if they do, would anyone else pay attention to it?

2) What purpose is served even if you DO post your ROL AFTER the deadline?

paz5559 said:

1) In a thread entittled Rank Order List, why would anyone list their list "in no particular order, and if they do, would anyone else pay attention to it?

1) Considering the high number of voyeurism (plenty watching-few posting) I still enjoy seeing who people ranked regardless of order

2) I'm not sure it matters either way-and if it did matter then that would be a disincentive to do it in the first place (is that clear as mud? :) ) :laugh:

btw-its probably time to replace "boston sucks" with "yankees choke so bad you got hit by a looger in NOLA" :p

Originally Posted by paz5559

I think when future applicants look at this thread, they can gather some information about trends, and which programs in general some people liked. If they value the opinions of any SDN'ers, they may take that into consideration when applying to certain programs.

As to why some people post in no particular order, I have no idea, it kind of annoys me. Maybe so when and if they post where they matched, we won't know how they ranked it.

caedmon said:
As to why some people post in no particular order, I have no idea, it kind of annoys me. Maybe so when and if they post where they matched, we won't know how they ranked it.

Are people actually arrogant enough to think anyone else really cares enough to take the time to do that sort of cross referencing? Boy are they in for a rude awakening when they become PGY-1s.

Are people actually arrogant enough to think anyone else really cares enough to take the time to do that sort of cross referencing?

All I know is there are some posters out there who think that they are not necessarily anonymous. In fact, I'm sure I know a couple. If you read any other forums on this site, people cross reference, and drag others through the mud all the time. I have found the posters in this forum to be very informative and helpful and would hope that this wouldn't happen here. Maybe others are a little paranoid after seeing some other threads in different forums. :scared:

I agree with caedmon (who I am sure I know from the trail). Lots of people in medicine in genreal are competitive. If you were not, you prob wouldn't be here. But it has occured to me that many of the people I met on the interview trail, including residents, seemed to be people who were laid back and of a higher level of integrity. Just my opinion. Anyway, it would be foolish to simply trust what someone says on any board, esp. if you are sure you do not know them, but just looking at a random sample of most common posters on this board, I am happily confident to listen to what they say and at a minimum take it into consideration when making a decision.

One week to go till match.

Good luck to all :luck: I am :scared:

NF

Nobody really ranked Baylor/UT high this year? Is there something I missed about their program?

Jekyll&Hyde said:
Nobody really ranked Baylor/UT high this year? Is there something I missed about their program?

Im a resident at Baylor/UT. We did WELL in the match this year and the last few years. The program directors are EXTREMELY happy with the match this year. We had many outstanding applicants and we are excited that the most competitive of these applicants will be joining us in 2006. Maybe nobody really ranked us high on SDN, but from our match list over the last few years we seem to be doing pretty well and we are not complaining!!!

We also received more funding for 2 new PGY2 spots to start in 2005 (July) and had a number of applicants for these positions. We are happy with the two who will join us this year!!! We still remain the largest PM&R program in the largerst medical center in the word!

If you want more info on the program specifically, PM me.

Other active SDN Baylor/UT residents: bbbmd (me), Jeeva, and newly matched mcintbk.

Any Baylor/UT people lurking out in the world of SDN, PM me... Ya'll know who I am!