2005 Applicants Stats Page

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
don't be anxious... with those stats the secondaries will come. good job.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey thanks! Right back at you, your stats make mine look sick! :thumbup:

blankguy said:
I might add that I had one admissions officer tell me that they stress the most recent work.

I kno you posted this a while ago, but would u mind telling me which school that was? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
podil said:
Undergrad Ed: UC Berkeley - Molecular and Cell Biology
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.5
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.5

DAT: 25,24,20/Academic, Science, PAT

Extracurricular/Research Activities: Research Paper Published, Sports Club, Student Government, Dental Shadowing and Volunteer at a hospital

Schools Applied: UCLA, Harvard, USC

AADSAS Submitted Date: not yet (end of this week for sure) - does anyone think this is a problem?? I just took the DAT and wanted to have the scores before I submitted the App.

With your stats, it won't be a problem to submit AADSAS this week. Not by a long shot! Congrats on your great stats. :thumbup:

UBTom said:
Improve your DAT score a bit, and you should have:

- a very good shot at UMich, UDM, and Case,

- a reasonable chance at Indiana,

- and at the very least be considered at OSU (which gives preference to Ohio residents) and Marquette (does not interview out-of-staters).

Good luck!

Marquette does interview out-of-staters because I just got their brochure in the mail with the stats of different students coming from all over the country (i.e. FL, TX, CA....)

Marquette does not interview oustaters, trust me I should know I am from Tejas and they didn't interview me, I got put on the waitlist.

Hd

you can visit the school, but Marquette again does not require an interview.

hockeydentist said:
Marquette does not interview oustaters, trust me I should know I am from Tejas and they didn't interview me, I got put on the waitlist.

Hd

you can visit the school, but Marquette again does not require an interview.

By Tejas, are you referring to Texas. I hope not because Marquette, last time I checked, was in Milwaukee, WI.

Nismoboy said:
By Tejas, are you referring to Texas. I hope not because Marquette, last time I checked, was in Milwaukee, WI.

:rolleyes:

thats not what he means...he's from texas, and they just threw him on the waitlist....not that he thinks he should have been gauranteed an acceptance, but he does have experience being a nonresident to marquette...

Undergrad Ed: Biochemistry and Chemistry
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.34
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.58

1st DAT: Academic, Science, PAT: 21, 20, 18

Extracurricular/Research Activities:Volunteering at Free dental club, tutoring at EOPS office, Volunteering at Nursing Home

Schools Applied:
Arizona
BU
CU
NYU
Tufts
UCLA
UCSF
USC
UOP
UNLV

AADSAS Submitted Date:
July 4th

Schools Received AADSAS Date: (approximate date)
middle of Aug

Interview Invites:

Denied:

Withdrew Application:

Waitlisted:

Accepted:

How does my stat look? I received 16 on my RC and 26 on QR. would QR make up my low low RC?
I don't have any research experience. would it affect?

jinniechoi said:
How does my stat look? I received 16 on my RC and 26 on QR. would QR make up my low low RC?
I don't have any research experience. would it affect?

Your stats are great and your lack of research experience shouldn't harm you at all. Sit back and wait for those interview invites to roll in. :thumbup:

Undergrad Ed: NYU
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.72
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.86

1st DAT: 24 Academic, 26 Science, 20 PAT

Extracurricular/Research Activities: volunteering, shadowing a dentist.

Applied: columbia, tufts, NYU, Boston U, Harvard.
AADSAS Submitted: Aug 19

Schools Received AADSAS:

Interview Invites: ...
Denied: ...

Withdrew Application:

Waitlisted: ...

Accepted: ...
I am free at last. At the meantime,while waiting for response from dental schools, if anyone in NY city area needs a private tutor, pm me. :)

Undergrad Ed: BS. in biology, UMass
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: somewhere between 3.8 and 4.0
Science Undergrad. GPA: 4.0ish

1st DAT: Academic, Science, PAT: 24/22/18

Extracurricular: dental shadowing, book-keeper for 2 clinics, vice-president of university's MSA

Schools Applied: BU, Harvard, Tufts

AADSAS Submitted Date: sometime this week

Members don't see this ad :)
yeah, not bad for two weeks of prep time..damn PAT.

justsusan said:
yeah, not bad for two weeks of prep time..damn PAT.

hey justsusan, which Umass campus did you go to? if you went to the Amherst campus, we might know each other!!

Undergrad Ed: UC Santa Cruz Biology
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.54
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.4

1st DAT: 18/17/17

Extracurricular/Research Activities: Honor society, MESA club, tutor, Fire Explorers, Nursung home volunteer

Schools Applied:UCSF, Arizona, Baylor, Louiseville, Marquette

AADSAS Submitted Date:July 10

Schools Received AADSAS Date:August 18

Interview Invites:Arizona

Denied:UCSF

Withdrew Application:

Waitlisted:

Accepted:[/QUOTE]

Comet208 said:
hey justsusan, which Umass campus did you go to? if you went to the Amherst campus, we might know each other!!

guess not. I go to Lowell's...

i go to amherst :D cant wait to get back!

you guys are starting to make me really nervous, I just sent my package in and though I had very good stats, I have a 3.35 GPA with a 3.4 science, my dat scores are 20/20 with a 19 PAT. I applied to boston, nyu, nova, as well as about 8 others. hope I get interviews/in some where...... :confused:

Lets bump it and update it.

mobius said:
you guys are starting to make me really nervous, I just sent my package in and though I had very good stats, I have a 3.35 GPA with a 3.4 science, my dat scores are 20/20 with a 19 PAT. I applied to boston, nyu, nova, as well as about 8 others. hope I get interviews/in some where...... :confused:

don't worry mobius...with your stats...you're good to go...

busdriver said:
don't worry mobius...with your stats...you're good to go...
I have decent stats so I should get in somewhere :scared:

How long does it take teh AADSAS to actually distribute your info. I sent mine in last monday, what do you think 2-3 more weeks? should I call them?

I submitted Aug 18th, and my application hasn't been processed yet. Give'er time.

For those of you that applied in august, AADSAS should be really busy, I would wait about a month before things start rollin in your favor.

HD

Undergrad Ed: UC San Diego
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.46
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.59

1st DAT: 20/20/21

Extracurricular/Research Activities: free dental clinic, research, habitat for humanity, fraternity president

Schools Applied: UCLA, UCSF, Arizona, UNLV, Colorado, Marquette, Case, Michigan, Pitt, Penn

AADSAS Submitted Date:July 12

Schools Received AADSAS Date:August 10

Interview Invites:
Marquette
Case
Michigan
UPenn
UNLV
Arizona
Pitt

Denied:
Colorado

Withdrew Application:
UCSF, Pitt, Case

Waitlisted:

Accepted: Penn, Arizona, Michigan and Marquette

Attending: Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health

Undergrad Ed: UC Berkeley, BA English
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.55
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.90 (mostly post-bac courses from CC)

1st DAT: (Academic/Science/PAT) 22/23/17

Schools Applied: UCLA, UCSF, LLU, UOP, USC, COL, CRE, NEB, AZ

AADSAS Submitted Date: 8/4/04

Schools Received AADSAS Date: 9/23/04

Interview Invites: Colorado, Loma Linda, Arizona, UCSF, USC

Denied: Nebraska, UOP, UCLA

Withdrew Application: USC

Waitlisted: UCSF

Accepted: Creighton, Arizona, Colorado, Loma Linda

Attending: University of Colorado School of Dentistry

Undergrad Ed: UT Austin Microbiology
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 2.95 :(
Science Undergrad. GPA: 2.89 :(

1st DAT: 23/22/21

Extracurricular/Research Activities: ~40 hrs volunteering @ dental clinic, ~15 hrs shadowing private practices, camp counselor, club soccer, P&W leader, guitar teacher, various jobs in college

Schools Applied: 3 Texas schools, UoP, UPENN, temple, Nova, BU, NYU

AADSAS Submitted Date: Sept 4

Schools Received AADSAS Date: ~Oct 20

Interview Invites: UTSA, UH, Baylor, Temple, Nova

Denied: UOP, UPENN

Withdrew Application: Temple, Nova

Waitlisted:

Accepted: San Antonio (12/1), Baylor (12/1)

bigbevo34 said:
Undergrad Ed: UT Austin Microbiology
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 2.95 :(
Science Undergrad. GPA: 2.89 :(

1st DAT: 23/22/21

Extracurricular/Research Activities: ~40 hrs volunteering @ dental clinic, ~15 hrs shadowing private practices, camp counselor, club soccer, P&W leader for christian organization, guitar teacher, various jobs in college

Schools Applied: 3 Texas schools, UoP, UPENN, temple, Nova, BU, NYU

AADSAS Submitted Date: Sept 4

Schools Received AADSAS Date:

Interview Invites:

Denied:

Withdrew Application:

Waitlisted:

Accepted:

I was an engineering for 1st two years and that brought down my gpa ALOT. My last 3 semesters have been almost a 4.0. I'd like to do some research next semester to boost my app. I wish i had applied earlier but what do u guys think my chances are for this cycle? thanks!

Your DAT scores are good, and the upward trend in your grades should prove useful :D. Good luck!

mobius said:

Your stats are fine. Sit back and relax... you have nothing to worry about. :cool:

bigbevo34 said:
...what do u guys think my chances are for this cycle? thanks!

I agree with busupshot83. Although your gpa is a bit low, you have very solid DAT scores and that should bouy your chances of acceptance.

Standard Format:

Undergrad Ed: Bio
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.83
Science Undergrad. GPA: around 3.9
Graduate Ed: (if applicable)
Cumulative Graduate GPA: (if applicable)
Science Graduate GPA: (if applicable)

1st DAT:
Academic ave- 21
Percept- 18
Quant. Reasoning- 18
Reading Comp- 27 (??? I did horrible on this in the ACT)
Bio- 22
Gen Chem- 20
Org. Chem- 18
Total Sci- 20
2nd DAT: Academic, Science, PAT (if applicable)

Extracurricular/Research Activities: 2 years of research at various places
volunteered at community dental clinic..job shadow, choir, marching band (I'm a dork..)

Schools Applied: Iowa, San Antonio, Minnesota

AADSAS Submitted Date: Sep. 30 (Hope this isn't too big of a problem..)

Schools Received AADSAS Date: (approximate date)

Interview Invites:

Denied:

Withdrew Application:

Waitlisted:

Accepted:

Wow, C_dent. That's pretty impressive.

Undergrad Ed: Biology (w/ a minor in Chemistry)
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.52
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.45

1st DAT:
Academic ave- 18
Percept- 16 :(
Quant. Reasoning- 14 :(
Reading Comp- 21
Bio- 19
Gen Chem- 18
Org. Chem- 16 :(
Total Sci- 18

Extracurricular/Research Activities: Red Cross dental assistant training course, volunteer dental assistant @ a free clinic for ~50 hours, shadowed 3 general dentists and a pediatric dentist for ~20 hours total, Pre-Dental Club, Biology Club, Vietnamese Student Association, Filipino American Student Association.

Schools Applied: VCU

AADSAS Submitted Date: July 29

Schools Received AADSAS Date: They updated my Infosource to "Received/Under Review" on Sept 27.

Interview Invites: Nothing yet. :(

Do you guys think I have a chance?

Undergrad Ed: Chemical Engineering at BYU
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.86
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.84
Graduate Ed: MS Chemical Engineering
Cumulative Graduate GPA: 3.77 (if applicable)
Science Graduate GPA: 3.72 (if applicable)

1st DAT:
Academic ave- 21
Percept- 20
Quant. Reasoning- 22
Reading Comp- 24
Bio- 17
Gen Chem- 25
Org. Chem- 19
Total Sci- 19

Extracurricular/Research Activities:

Schools Applied: UMKC, Marquette, SIU, Creighton, Indiana State, Michigan, Arizona

AADSAS Submitted Date: 9/8/04

Schools Received AADSAS Date: 10/21/04

Interview Invites: UMKC, Arizona, Michigan

Denied:VCU, Indiana (didn't have all of the requirements

Withdrew Application:

Waitlisted:Creighton, Marquette, UMKC

Accepted:

atw24 said:
Undergrad Ed: Chemical Engineering
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.73
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.71
Graduate Ed: MS Chemical Engineering
Cumulative Graduate GPA: 3.66 (if applicable)
Science Graduate GPA: 3.62 (if applicable)

1st DAT:

1st DAT:
Academic ave- 21
Percept- 20
Quant. Reasoning- 22
Reading Comp- 24
Bio- 17
Gen Chem- 25
Org. Chem- 19
Total Sci- 19

Schools Applied: UMKC, Marquette, SIU, Creighton, Indiana State, Michigan

AADSAS Submitted Date: 9/8/04

Schools Received AADSAS Date:

Interview Invites:

Denied:

Withdrew Application:

Waitlisted:

Accepted:

Nice... a master's. You're a sure-in. :thumbup:

It wasn't until I read all the other stats on this forum that I truly realized how totally screwed I am. This is my second time throught that application cycle and after busting my ass for two years now, I see that there is just about no way this will pan out... Frustrated...

Undergrad Ed: Saint Louis University
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.30
Science Undergrad. GPA: 2.66
Graduate Ed: Southern Illinois University Edwardsvilee
Cumulative Graduate GPA: 4.00
Science Graduate GPA: 4.00

1st DAT: 19,18,20
2nd DAT: 19,18,18
Extracurricular/Research Activities: Baseball (3 years); Observation at Dental, Orthodontic, and Periodontic offices; Work in Microbiology lab at SIU SDM

Schools Applied: CU, SIU, UIC, NOVA, CASE, BU

AADSAS Submitted Date: 6/22/04

Schools Received AADSAS Date: 7/18/04

Interview Invites: None

Denied:

Withdrew Application:

Waitlisted: Case Western, SIU

Accepted:

you definately should be getting an interview from boston and nova

AADSAS Application: 5/17/04
Letter's of Rec: 12
School's Applied to: 13
(UNLV, AZ, OHSU, U of Penn, USC, UCLA, UOP, Creighton, 3 TX's Schools, Colorado, WA)

GPA:
ISU: 3.91 BS Dental Hygiene :)
CSI: 4.0 AA and AS
Dental Preq's:
PCC: Pre-req. 4.0
PSU: Pre-req. 3.8

Experience: 6 year's as a Dental Hygienist, Volunteered during hygiene school and after hygiene school once a year for children's dental health month or ADHA function.

DAT: 9/03 Only time taken. (Not spectacular, but decent for having only just started my dental pre-req's at the time and having graduated from my BS in Dental hygiene like 5 year's before.)

AA: 19 :)
PA: 18 :oops:
QR: 17 :(
RC: 21 :D
BIO: 20 :)
GC: 20
OC: 19
Tot S: 20 :D

Interviewed: AZ and U of Penn
Interview Scheduled: USC and UNLV
Denied: None yet :scared:

BTW, This website has been a great stress relieve! I am so glad to know that everyone is as panicked as me! This is my second application cycle. I only applied to OHSU last year and was interviewed, waitlisted in March/04 and just received my denial letter in Sept/04 for the class of 2004. That was the only school I choose last year. Needless to say I am very worried that I will get an acceptance letter this year. I already warned my husband (but he is very supportive) we are moving to WHERE EVER I get in. :thumbup:

Love said:
Yeah, some of the schools are - at best - a long shot. My thoughts with those are "you never know" ...with the right letters, experience, and so on, you might just get an interview and from there who knows what can happen.

You tell Lumbee to get 17's (granted his GPA is 3.8) and he's fine. With the exception of PAT and O. Chem I got all 17, 19 and 20. Recall I took DAT before taking O. Chem, the presumption there being that if I scored on O. Chem the way I scored on other sciences I would be 18+...

I'm sure Perfect, JRogoff and others realize that if a school's average is 18, 19, 20, etc...that said school accepted students with 16's and 17's and those scores were balanced out by the many 20's and 21's.

So why be a nay-sayer? Some with better numbers wont get in, some with similar numbers wont get in, and some with worse numbers wont get in. This is nothing profound, it's just the nature of admissions. Still, myself and many others with similar and lower schools will get in.

Truth in the written form. Good luck to all.

After what happened to me last year and the only school I applied to, I agree with this post. This is not a number's game, as much as we would like to believe it. Sometime's it feel's like a spin on the roulette wheel.

Bump..........and don't forget to update interviews and new DAT scores.

Darksunshine said:
AADSAS Application: 5/17/04
Letter's of Rec: 12
School's Applied to: 13
(UNLV, AZ, OHSU, U of Penn, USC, UCLA, UOP, Creighton, 3 TX's Schools, Colorado, WA)

GPA:
ISU: 3.91 BS Dental Hygiene :)
CSI: 4.0 AA and AS
Dental Preq's:
PCC: Pre-req. 4.0
PSU: Pre-req. 3.8

Experience: 6 year's as a Dental Hygienist, Volunteered during hygiene school and after hygiene school once a year for children's dental health month or ADHA function.

DAT: 9/03 Only time taken. (Not spectacular, but decent for having only just started my dental pre-req's at the time and having graduated from my BS in Dental hygiene like 5 year's before.)

AA: 19 :)
PA: 18 :oops:
QR: 17 :(
RC: 21 :D
BIO: 20 :)
GC: 20
OC: 19
Tot S: 20 :D

Interviewed: AZ and U of Penn
Interview Scheduled: USC and UNLV
Denied: None yet :scared:

BTW, This website has been a great stress relieve! I am so glad to know that everyone is as panicked as me! This is my second application cycle. I only applied to OHSU last year and was interviewed, waitlisted in March/04 and just received my denial letter in Sept/04 for the class of 2004. That was the only school I choose last year. Needless to say I am very worried that I will get an acceptance letter this year. I already warned my husband (but he is very supportive) we are moving to WHERE EVER I get in. :thumbup:

awesome, dental hygiene.

Undergrad Ed: Biochemistry
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA:
Science Undergrad. GPA:

1st DAT: Academic, Science, PAT

Schools Applied:

AADSAS Submitted Date:

Schools Received AADSAS Date: The end of time

Interview Invites: this may take awhile

Denied:

Withdrew Application:

Waitlisted:

Accepted:

So, did anyone submit their AADSAS about the same time as I? I am wondering when it will be processed? Anyone have an opinion (pro or con) regarding the schools I applied to?

you have no chance at any of those schools. go back, do a post-bac, and raise your gpa to a 3.9, 4.0. then we'll talk.

come on, are you kidding me? just apply to harvard and you'll be fine.

I am looking for input about schools, not sarcasm.

bspeedy00 said:
So, did anyone submit their AADSAS about the same time as I? I am wondering when it will be processed? Anyone have an opinion (pro or con) regarding the schools I applied to?

Mine took 7 weeks to process and I don't see AADSAS picking up the pace anytime soon. I called them at 1 today and got through within 3 minutes. I couldn't believe it. I didn't know what to do with myself. I was a stuttering idiot. I have read on other threads that if you call at 9 a.m. EST, you have the best chance of getting through.

And you have picked WONDERFUL schools! ;)

Undergrad Ed:B.S. General Science, University of Oregon
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA:3.5
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.6
Graduate Ed: (if applicable)
Cumulative Graduate GPA: (if applicable)
Science Graduate GPA: (if applicable)

1st DAT: 9/10/04
Academic ave- 17
Percept- 18
Quant. Reasoning- 13 :(
Reading Comp- 19
Bio- 17
Gen Chem- 19
Org. Chem- 19
Total Sci- 18
2nd DAT: Academic, Science, PAT (if applicable)

Extracurricular/Research Activities: Involved in 2 missions trips to Mexico to build houses for impoverished famlies, Volunteer at local homeless shelter during the winter months, volunteer in hospital pharmacy, volunteer at local free medical clinic (350+/- hours)

Shadowed 7 different dentists, 4 general dentists, 1 orthodontist, 1 endodontist, 1 oral surgeon (150+/- hours)

Schools Applied: OHSU, UoP, Crieghton, Marquette, Case, Arizona, Nova, Univ. of Mich, Univ. of Maryland, Loma Linda, Univ. of Louisville.

AADSAS Submitted Date: May 25

Schools Received AADSAS Date:Early June

Schools Recieved DAT scores: 9/16/04

Interview Invites: Case

Denied:Univ. of Maryland

Withdrew Application:Loma Linda

Waitlisted:

Accepted:

bspeedy00 said:
I am looking for input about schools, not sarcasm. Perhaps you implication that Harvard is the best choice is not an opinion shared by all.

That's a good point bspeedy.... impressive record ...biochem with that GPA... wow!!! where did you go to undergrad??? Shoot for UCSF... now thats a desireable school!!! esp if you CA resident.

Undergrad Ed:B.S. Biology
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA:3.9
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.9

1st DAT: 10/06/04
Academic ave- 19
Percept- 16 :eek:
Quant. Reasoning- 15 :eek:
Reading Comp- 21
Bio- 17 :confused:
Gen Chem- 19
Org. Chem- 23
Total Sci- 19
2nd DAT: do you think i should?

Extracurricular/Research Activities: Biology Lab assistant, certified tutor, various clubs in college, shadowed 2 dentists (30 hours)
volunteer at homeless shelter and nursing home regularly, big buddy

Schools Applied: UNC, UoP, Creighton, Marquette, Case, Univ. of Maryland, Harvard, UConn, Columbia, UPenn, UTenn, UDMercy, UCLA, Howard, Meharry, Temple, NYU, Boston

AADSAS Submitted Date: July 19th

Schools Received AADSAS Date:Aug 19th

Schools Recieved DAT scores: dont know

Interview Invites: none yet, took DAT this week

Denied:none yet..

Withdrew Application:...

Waitlisted:...

Accepted: lets see who is the lucky winner

What do you guys think? Will i get interviews?