2005 Applicants Stats Page

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Undergrad Ed: University of Alaska Fairbanks (Biology)
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.99
Science Undergrad. GPA: 4.00
Av. 17 credits/sem; max 20 cred/sem

DAT:

Extracurricular/Research Activities:
Lots of intramurals, student government, judicial board (lots of hours), school student ambassador (I think around 150 hrs for this one), 2 clubs, professional leadership training, shadowed 3 dentists for about 40 hours each (a gen, prost, and an ortho), resident assistant 2 years.

Research on betacyclodextrin interactions with chiral diols (ochem) but no publications. Should I even bother to mention this then?

Schools Applied (under wiche mostly since i don't have a local school...):
Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health
University of California, Los Angeles
University of California, San Francisco
Loma Linda University
University of Colorado
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Columbia University
Case Western Reserve University
Oregon Health & Science University
University of Washington
Marquette University

I probably will withdraw my app from some of these schools atthis point...

AADSAS Submitted Date: June 4

Schools Received AADSAS Date: July 4 or so...

Interview Invites:
University of California, Los Angeles
University of Colorado
University of Nevada, Las Vegas
Case Western Reserve University
Oregon Health & Science University
University of Washington
Denied:

Withdrew Application (interviews are too expensive...):
University of California, San Francisco
Loma Linda University
Columbia University
Marquette University
Waitlisted:

Accepted:
All that I interviewed at.

Members don't see this ad.

judging from some of the people in my class at UT San Antonio
i wish it were much much harder to get into dental school...

about research experience:
ABSOLUTELY mention anything you have, even w/no publications
at my UT San Antonio interview back in 2000, my interviewer actually told the next person to wait while he went 20 min over the time limit to talk to me about research... dont leave it out!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
maybe I did but can't remember and too lazy to go back and search my post.

GPA: 3.5~3.6ish
(3.7 1st year/ 3.8~3.9 2nd ~ 3rd year / 4th year-->don't ask)
(currently doing 15 credit honors research project, shooting for A+)

Major: Molecular Biology and Biochemistry

DAT: 19 AA 19 Reading 22 PAT 26 Chalk carving (canadian)

EC: 5 volunteering exp / in military / research work with one publication, going for 2nd this summer / other work exp.. / shadowing not too much but will do some / various internal & external scholarships & research awards..

Schools applied:
1) NYU
2) Columbia
3) UPenn
4) Temple
5) Indiana
6) Maryland
7) Boston
8) USC
9) UOP
10) Loma Linda
11) Nova S
12) Marquette
13) can't remember the rest.... there are 5 more

AADSAS submitted: June 5th 2004

hopefully will hear from AADSAS soon

any comments?

mwsung said:
maybe I did but can't remember and too lazy to go back and search my post.

GPA: 3.5~3.6ish
(3.7 1st year/ 3.8~3.9 2nd ~ 3rd year / 4th year-->don't ask)
(currently doing 15 credit honors research project, shooting for A+)

Major: Molecular Biology and Biochemistry

DAT: 19 AA 19 Reading 22 PAT 26 Chalk carving (canadian)

EC: 5 volunteering exp / in military / research work with one publication, going for 2nd this summer / other work exp.. / shadowing not too much but will do some / various internal & external scholarships & research awards..

Schools applied:
1) NYU
2) Columbia
3) UPenn
4) Temple
5) Indiana
6) Maryland
7) Boston
8) USC
9) UOP
10) Loma Linda
11) Nova S
12) Marquette
13) can't remember the rest.... there are 5 more

AADSAS submitted: June 5th 2004

hopefully will hear from AADSAS soon

any comments?

you applied to 18 schools with your stats?

man were you drinking?

just pick a school where you wanna go and thats the only school you should pay to process your app. i don't see why you think your stats weren't incredible.

PERFECT3435 said:
you applied to 18 schools with your stats?

man were you drinking?

just pick a school where you wanna go and thats the only school you should pay to process your app. i don't see why you think your stats weren't incredible.

That is the guy that got in last cycle and did not go for some reason, you would think he would try and save some money knowing that that he will be accepted.

ok now i am really confused. he got in and didn't go? and then apply to 18 schools the 2nd time around?

may be sung just wants to interview everywhere and get to see every school before he makes a decision. :confused:

BA Biology
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.11
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.14
BCP: 3.73

1st DAT: Academic, Science, PAT: 21, 21, 17
2nd DAT: Academic, Science, PAT 23/24/19 :D

Schools Applied: UOP, UCSF, UCLA, USC, Tufts, Temple, NYU, BU, Michigan, Nova, UPENN, Columbia, Arizona, UNLV, Maryland, Pittsburgh.

AADSAS Submitted Date: June 2

Schools Received AADSAS Date: First Week of July

Interview Invites: Temple, Columbia, Maryland, UOP, USC, UNLV, NYU, Pittsburgh, Nova, Boston, Michigan.

Denied: UPENN

Withdrew Application:

Waitlisted:

Accepted:

crappy GPA, hopefully BCP will carry some weight. Good luck all.

Don't worry sloppy Joe

My GPA was similar to yours (except the BCP i did'nt even know mine, in fact i don't even know what that is but the other two gpa's are close) and my DAT was lower and i managed to get two acceptances and some waitlists.

SloppyJoe said:
BA Biology
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.11
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.14
BCP: 3.73

1st DAT: Academic, Science, PAT: 21, 21, 17
2nd DAT: Academic, Science, PAT (if applicable) N/A

Schools Applied: UOP, UCSF, UCLA, USC, Tufts, Temple, NYU, BU, Michigan, Nova, UPENN, Columbia, Arizona, UNLV, Maryland, Pittsburgh.

AADSAS Submitted Date: June 2

Schools Received AADSAS Date: First Week of July

Interview Invites:

Denied:

Withdrew Application:

Waitlisted:

Accepted:

crappy GPA, hopefully BCP will carry some weight. Good luck all.

Undergrad Ed: B.A in Biology
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.77
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.62
Graduate Ed: (if applicable) N/A
Cumulative Graduate GPA: (if applicable) N/A
Science Graduate GPA: (if applicable) N/A

1st DAT: Taking in August
2nd DAT: (if applicable) Hopefully won't need

Extracurricular/Research Activities: Working in the church nursery, and served 2 years as an officer of the pre-dental club. I also worked as a dental assistant many years ago.

Schools Applied: University of Iowa

AADSAS Submitted Date: soon

Schools Received AADSAS Date: (approximate date)

Interview Invites:

Denied:

Withdrew Application:

Waitlisted:

Accepted: University of Iowa - through the deferred entry program. (I keep my seat in the 2005 class if I get national average on the DAT)

Undergrad Ed: University of Southern California (Biological Sciences)
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.66
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.39
Graduate Ed: (if applicable): NA
Cumulative Graduate GPA: (if applicable): NA
Science Graduate GPA: (if applicable):NA

1st DAT: Academic, Science, PAT: 20/20/15:(
2nd DAT: Academic, Science, PAT (if applicable) Will retake in Oct/Nov

Extracurricular/Research Activities: 240 hours of shadowing, Red Cross Blood Drive, no research

Schools Applied:UCLA,UCSF,LLU,UOP,USC,Nova, UF, Indiana, BU, Harvard,Tufts, Columbia, NYU, SUNY at Baffalo, Case, UPenn, UPitt, Temple

AADSAS Submitted Date:05/21/2004

Interview Invites: Not Yet

Denied:

Withdrew Application: NA

Waitlisted:

Accepted:

With my status (especially with my horrible PAT score), what schools do you think I will get interviews from?

^babe, you're applying to a ****load of schools (and flushing a great boatload of money away), with no real reason to (good GPA, good DATs, good extracurrs). your scores are very good, don't worry too much about the lower PAT. pick a few schools you really like, rather than seem indecisive and applying to 36% of the dental schools available in the states. remember, the dental schools will also see which other schools you're applying to--and if they see a boatload of others, it might make them think "well, i'm not sure she really even wants to go here, we're only 1 of 18."

edited because i just realized that the bleep out cuss words. i wonder if any of my past posts have been even making sense through all the bleeps?

Cindy,

You are in pretty good shape as far as scores go. I just have one piece of advice though, cross off UF from your list of schools. Out of a class of 80 students, they will take 1, maybe two people from out of state, and those people will have amazing scores. You have a great shot at all the other schools you listed, so good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
and we thought we had a very competitive cycle last year. lol

you guys all have incerdible stats.

Undergrad Education: Florida State University (Biology)

Cumulative Undergraduate GPA: 3.2
Science Undergraduate GPA: 3.0
BCP GPA: 3.2

DAT: AA:, PAT: 18, 20, RC:20

Extracurricular/Research Activities: genetics research, lots of volunteer work, member of AMSA and ASDA, volunteered for 2 dentists, worked in hospital 8hrs/week for a year.

Schools Applied: NOVA, Arizona, U. of MD, and Marquette (I know- not very many)

AADSAS Submitted Date: June 7, 2004 (#8XX)

Schools Received AADSAS Date: mailed out on July 6th- no confirmations yet

Interview Invites:

Denied:

Withdrew Application:

Waitlisted:

Accepted:

***what do you think my chances are? Any advice? Thanks

Literati81 said:
Looks like we have a solid group of ideal applicants on SDN. Good for you. Bad for me. Le sigh...

Bad as in the sense that your stats thus far have been kissed by a higher being? Given your scholastic success and impressive list of achievements outside of the classroom, coupled with your more-than-likely high DAT scores, you, the golden applicant, shouldn't have too much to worry about.

Aww, thanks Sprgrover. :oops: Your words are as encouraging as they are poetic. I'm sorry for posting the last sentence without explaining my pathetic outlook. Because AADSAS had a computer error when processing my course work, only the latter half of my senior year grades were sent to the 9 dental schools. +pissed+ I express mailed the corrections nearly a week ago but was informed by other predental students and dental schools that a) AADSAS is incompetent (its funny when dental schools recognize a problem yet do nothing about it), b) I'll be lucky if my AADSAS application gets in before each school's respective deadline (someone posted it took AADSAS 5 months to get the corrections mailed) and c) I can mail in transcripts, the AADSAS correction and a note to each dental school but they can not fully review my application until AADSAS translates my courses into some esoteric lingo that only dental schools understand.

Whew. So although I sent in my application in June, the AADSAS error could potentially delay the reviewal of my application to December. And upon reviewing the stats of those on SDN who have already submitted their application, I believe my competitive chance will dwindle. +pity+

But again, many thanks for your kind response.

Undergrad Ed: Biology BA, transferred from a top 15 university to a top 15 liberal arts college (I swear I'm not a slave to the US News college rankings, but I value my anonymity and just want to indicate that I went to competitive schools.)
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.58
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.52
Graduate Ed: (if applicable): N/A
Cumulative Graduate GPA: (if applicable): N/A
Science Graduate GPA: (if applicable):N/A

1st DAT: Academic, Science, PAT: 21/20/19
2nd DAT: Academic, Science, PAT: I'm pretty much satisfied with my scores :)

Extracurricular/Research Activities: 3 year varsity athlete (and I'm going to do it next year too), 8 time All-American, Academic All-American, shadowed at two dental offices for a day each (hopefully I can do more before I interview), will begin work on a research thesis in September on the effect of progesterone on ACL proprioception (don't know if I spelled that one right, but by the time I'm done with my thesis, I'll be able to spell it backwards)

Schools Applied: UCLA, UCSF, LLU, UOP, USC, Nova, Harvard, Columbia, Tufts, BU

AADSAS Submitted Date: 6/10/04

Schools Received AADSAS Date: probably sometime this week

Interview Invites:

Denied:

Withdrew Application:

Waitlisted:

Accepted:

Undergrad Ed: Biology BA, Post-Bac. 4.0
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 2.83
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.07
Graduate Ed: (if applicable): N/A
Cumulative Graduate GPA: (if applicable): N/A
Science Graduate GPA: (if applicable):N/A

1st DAT: Academic, Science, PAT: 22/22/18
2nd DAT: Academic, Science, PAT:satisfied with my scores

Extracurricular/Research Activities: college athlete, 500 hrs vol. work over 4 years, 100 plus hrs shadowing dentists.

Schools Applied: Indiana, Nova, Columbia, Tufts, BU, Maryland, Upenn, NYU, Case, Pitt

AADSAS Submitted Date: 6/5/04

Schools Received AADSAS Date: All

Interview Invites:

Denied:

Withdrew Application:

Waitlisted:

Accepted:

Undergrad Ed: Boise State University, BA, History of Art, Visual Art
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.82
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.60
BCP GPA: 3.71
Graduate Ed: N/A
Cumulative Graduate GPA: N/A
Science Graduate GPA: N/A

1st DAT: Academic, Science, PAT: 20/20/18
2nd DAT: Academic, Science, PAT: N/A

Extracurricular/Research Activities: 40 hrs Volunteer dental assistant at a non-profit dental clinic, 40 hrs shadowing my dentist, volunteer ESL tutor for students taking art history courses, worked for Medicaid (gave out referrals for urgent care clinics, helped create and maintian a disease management process, did lot's of paper work..), one year clinical experience in a hospital, and lots of little extra-curricular activities and volunteer/service projects.

Schools applied to: USC, Iowa, Nebraska, Maryland, U of Detroit Mercy, Creighton, NOVA, Case Western, Ohio, UPenn, UPitt, Marquette, and Arizona.

AADSAS Submitted Date: 6/1/04

Schools Received AADSAS Date: Mailed out in fourth mailing - schools received application July 9, 2004.

Interview Invites: Case, Arizona, Nebraska, UPenn, Maryland, NOVA, USC, Ohio, Creighton/IDEP

Denied: Iowa, Arizona

Withdrew Application: U of Detroit Mercy, Nebraska, Creighton/IDEP, UPitt

Waitlisted: Marquette, OSU, Creighton

Accepted:NOVA, UPenn, Case, USC, OSU

Attending: UPenn

Literati81 said:
I can mail in transcripts, the AADSAS correction and a note to each dental school but they can not fully review my application until AADSAS translates my courses into some esoteric lingo that only dental schools understand.

While AADSAS is busy deciphering your transcript with the Rosetta Stone, I would certainly mail out those transcripts with an accompanying note explaining the situation. While NYU and UMich want to wait for AADSAS to divine the answer, other schools might be more sympathetic to your cause and let you progress with their application process, though I am sure they will hold final judgement until AADSAS sends their seal of approval.

Undergrad Ed: BA Biology
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA:3.4
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.2

1st DAT: Academic 18, Science 17, PAT 21
2nd DAT:

Extracurricular/Research Activities: Field research for 2 summers, shadowed 100 hours, Varsity sport, youth leader

Schools Applied: UMDNJ, Indiana, Marquette, cali schools, arizona, unlv, NYU, BU, Columbia, penn, nova, sc, tufts, vcu, temple, pitt, Buffalo

AADSAS Submitted Date: june 20

Schools Received AADSAS Date: july 21

Interview Invites: UMDNJ, indiana, arizona, loma linda, USC, Pitt, Buffalo

Denied: Arizona

Withdrew Application: Pitt

Accepted: UMDNJ, Buffalo, USC, Loma Linda

Attending: USC

How much will that PAT score help. Are there schools that like the PAT?

Johnson22 said:
How much will that PAT score help. Are there schools that like the PAT?

That is a good PAT score :thumbup: and certainly won't harm your chances. Dental schools, at least all of the ones I have researched, place more emphasis on the AA score though. You do have a nice list of extracurriculars, as well as schools, which should work in your favor.

Undergrad Ed: BS Chemistry
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.30
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.22

1st DAT: Academic, Science, PAT: 18/18/20

Extracurricular/Research Activities: 200 h shadowing, 6-month research (after graduation), volunteering ~200 h
Schools Applied: Indiana, Nova, BU, NYU, Case, Pitt, Arizona, OSU, SUNY

AADSAS Submitted Date: 6/1/04

Schools Received AADSAS Date: All

Interview Invites: Case

Denied:

Withdrew Application:

Waitlisted:

Accepted:

Hi- I know this doesnt really fit here, but yall seem to have some good scores and lots of people seem to look at this sight, but anyway, does anyone have any suggestions on speeding up their DAT time? I am having trouble finishing in the alloted time. Thanks, anything would be appreciated.

Undergrad Ed: BS Biology at UCSB
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA:3.96/4.09 (with +/-)
Science Undergrad. GPA: 4.00/4.12 (with +/-)
Graduate Ed: (if applicable)
Cumulative Graduate GPA: (if applicable)
Science Graduate GPA: (if applicable)

1st DAT: Academic, Science, PAT 23, 22, 20 :)
2nd DAT: Academic, Science, PAT (happy with my scores)

Extracurricular/Research Activities:
Undergraduate group tutor (basically a TA) for General Biology series
Research on Hungtinton's Disease, published in PNAS 2003.
Shadowing, Habitat restoration, Pres of Dental Club.

Schools Applied: UCLA, UCSF, UOP, COL, WASH, UPENN, USC (CA resident)

AADSAS Submitted Date:05/19

Schools Received AADSAS Date: 06/16

Interview Invites:
UOP (Oct 14)
USC (Oct 22)
UCLA (Nov 1)
UPENN (Nov 19)
UCSF (Feb 11)

Denied: None

Withdrew Application: Washington and Colorado

Waitlisted:None

Accepted: UCLA, USC, UPENN, UOP (w/ $45,000 scholarship)

Undergrad Ed: B.A. Economics, Washington University in St. Louis
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.08
Science Undergrad. GPA: 2.92

1st DAT: 19,17,18
2nd DAT: 21,20,18

Extracurricular/Research Activities: 200+ Hrs of shadowing, 500+ Hrs. Volunteer work

Schools Applied: UT-Houston, UT-San Antonio, Baylor, NYU, BU, Tufts, Case Western, UoP, USC, Temple

AADSAS Submitted Date: July 6

Schools Received AADSAS Date: ~Aug. 15

Interview Invites: BU (12/3)

Denied: Case Western

Withdrew Application:

Waitlisted: NYU (From last year, carried over to this year)

Accepted:

Some people have killer stats... and they are early applicants. They normally show up later in the process, this might cause the average stats to rise this cycle.

I am happy I am starting to get interviews, and my stats are only average. :)

haha I need to start going to this forum less.......everyone here has killer stats, no wonder averages at schools are reaching 3.5 and higher!

is that your picture under your name, if it is your hot, :love:
hubba, hubba, whoazaaaaa!

Fine lookin lady on this board!

HD

Thanks Hockeydentist,

Yes that is me and you are very flattering! :)

Jessica

Jess_SB said:
Thanks Hockeydentist,

Yes that is me and you are very flattering! :)

Jessica

Cool, in that case, I will go ahead and add UCLA, UCSF, COL, WASH, and PENN to the schools that Im applying to. ;)

Now all I need is a 0.5 increase in my GPA. :D

Nice numbers Jess!

You will have no problem getting into a Cali school. What is your #1 choice?

Shawnone,
It's been mentioned on these boards that ad com people patrol them and we shouldn't say which school is our number one, so I guess I will be safe and PM you. Seems like I'm acting a little paranoid though... oh well.

Jess

Jess_SB said:
Shawnone,
It's been mentioned on these boards that ad com people patrol them and we shouldn't say which school is our number one, so I guess I will be safe and PM you. Seems like I'm acting a little paranoid though... oh well.

Jess
whatever happend to honesty... :)

hey i know this may sound stupid but what is adcom and why havent run into it the whole time ive been applying? all of my friends are pre meds and i dont really have anyone to talk to about predent

drtagman said:
hey i know this may sound stupid but what is adcom and why havent run into it the whole time ive been applying?

adcom= admission commitee, they are the ones who review your applications, give interviews, and make decisions regarding your application.

Undergrad Ed: Molecular and Cellular Biology
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.74
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.69

1st DAT: Academic, Science, PAT: 21,21,19

Extracurricular/Research Activities:proteomics and neurobiology reasearch, lots of dental service in Mexico, Peru, Equador, Pre-dental club president

Schools Applied:
Case Western
Creighton
VCU
U of Michigan
U of Detroit Mercy
Colorado
Loma Linda
Marquette
Arizona

AADSAS Submitted Date:
July 21st

Schools Received AADSAS Date: (approximate date) end of August

Interview Invites: Case Western, UConn, UMich

Denied:

Withdrew Application:

Waitlisted:

Accepted:

Undergrad Ed: Biology-Physiology
Cumulative Undergrad. GPA: 3.56
Science Undergrad. GPA: 3.39

1st DAT: Academic, Science, PAT: 19,17,18

Extracurricular/Research Activities: Medical Research lab, drama club, 200ish hours volunteering in UW School of Dentistry.

Schools Applied:
UW
UoP
Boston U
Tufts
NYU
UPenn
USC
Nova

AADSAS Submitted Date:
June 16

July 13

Interview Invites:

Denied:

Withdrew Application:

Waitlisted:

Accepted:

Here are my stats so far

Undergrad Education: Arizona State University (Anthropology)
Undergrad GPA: 3.23
Science Undergrad GPA: 3.33
Grad Ed: NA
Grad GPA: NA
Grad Sci GPA: NA

DAT1: AA/Sci/Pat : 18/19/16
DAT2: Looks like I'll need this

Extracurricular Activities:
Tutor/Mentor middle school children in (Math, Science, etc...) 2 hrs/week
Volunteer at a Home Transition Center 8hrs/week
Shadowed Dentist: 50 hours
Interned General Dentist: 120 hours
Work as Dental Assistant: 30 hours a week

Schools Applying to: Arizona, UNLV, Indiana, Nova, UIC, SIU, Marquette, UOP, Boston
AADSAS Submission Date: June 2nd
Schools Received AADSAS Date: July 1st
Interview Invites: Indiana
Denied: Not Yet
Withdrew: Not Yet
Waitlisted: Not Yet
Accepted: Not Yet

when did you get your indiana interview invite?

Here are my stats

Undergrad Education: BS in Marketing
Undergrad GPA: 3.6
Science Undergrad GPA: 3.5

DAT1: AA/Sci/Pat : 18/19/18
DAT2: Possibly depending on what they say about my QR score....14

Volunteer at Homeless Dental Clinic
Assistant Scout Master, church related service
Shadowed Dentist: 35 hours

Schools Applying to: Arizona, UOP, Case, Creighton, U of Colorado, U of Oklahoma
AADSAS Submission Date: June 21st
Schools Received AADSAS Date: August 1st
Interview Invites: Not yet....2ndaries though

Question for everyone:

What do you think the schools will say about my QR score of 14??? Will this prevent me from getting in anywhere, or will they overlook a low score like that? It is the only low score I got....Any thoughts would be appreciated...

jdcinza13 said:
...What do you think the schools will say about my QR score of 14???...

I received a 15 on my QR section (hey, it's a badge of honor) and anticipated it coming up with Case - but it didn't and I didn't mention it. Some schools do have a cut off at 15 and I have been told by a couple of dentists and dental students that the QR section is the least important out of the lot. You have good stats and I don't think it should weigh you down too much. Best of luck!

Undergrad Education: Biology
Undergrad GPA: 3.9
Science Undergrad GPA: 3.91

DAT1: AA/Sci/Pat : 20/20/17

Volunteer at 3 dentist offices for observation: about 40 hours
Work in medical field for 2.5 years
Jobs all have patient contact
Volunteered at VA hospital

Schools Applying to:
UOP
Creighton