2 years apart

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lurker123456789

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
My spouse and I will be two years apart for medical school. What are our options match wise? Should the one that is older take two research years (our financial situation would allow it plus he is interested in a very competitive specialty and wants to do academic medicine so it may be a fit anyways)? Do schools even usually allow multiple research years non-MD/PhD? Are there any other good options for this situation? Maybe try to stay at the home institution? Or just match into a big city and hope the younger one matches two years (or one year depending on if he takes a research year) later?

Members don't see this ad.

Shooting for a big city is definitely your best option. A lot of cities will have a lot of different hospitals to apply to, no matter what the second spouse is shooting for specialty-wise.

Since the second/younger one won't have any idea how competitive they'll be down the road when the first one is applying, it might be wise to focus on a city that's not competitive across the board just due to geography.

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to mention, the home institution is in a big city so that is likely our best bet I guess based on what you guys are saying.

My wife and I got married when we were two years apart (I was the one two years behind). She matched into our home institution and I took a year to do a one year masters program offered at our school. Now we are three years apart and I can (hopefully) do my intern year at one of the hospitals in our city and then she will be finished with her residency and we can go together wherever I matched. Anyway depending on what specialties you are both interested, how competitive etc., something like that may be an option. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
My wife and I got married when we were two years apart (I was the one two years behind). She matched into our home institution and I took a year to do a one year masters program offered at our school. Now we are three years apart and I can (hopefully) do my intern year at one of the hospitals in our city and then she will be finished with her residency and we can go together wherever I matched. Anyway depending on what specialties you are both interested, how competitive etc., something like that may be an option. Good luck!
Unfortunately, it is a surgical subspecialty so it will be a minimum of 5 years of training. He is going to try to match at our home institution. Would you happen to have any tips on matching at home? How much easier is it?

Unfortunately, it is a surgical subspecialty so it will be a minimum of 5 years of training. He is going to try to match at our home institution. Would you happen to have any tips on matching at home? How much easier is it?
Oh I see, thanks for clarifying. Well I would say, speaking in very general terms, it is a little bit easier to match at your home institution but obviously it depends on your relationship with the faculty and competitiveness of the specialty. If that is your plan going forward, do your best to develop a good relationship with the faculty through research, electives, volunteering etc. and I don't think it is a bad idea to try and make it known that you're very interested in remaining at the home program (not in an annoying way but you don't want them to think you would rather match somewhere else). Not really advice that isn't obvious, sorry, but good luck with everything I hope it works out for the best!