Unmatched: Lost, confused, and feel my life falling apart each day

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Psych1912

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi SDN. This is going to be a long depressing post, but I hope it can help the community and perhaps give insight to others to prevent them from potentially getting into the same predicament. Please forgive me if this post seems histrionic or overly dramatic as I am in a very difficult place.

I am a USIMG who just received my diploma (from one of the "stronger" Caribbean schools) a couple of weeks before getting the news that I didn’t match. Since then, my life has been falling apart in every way imaginable. It has thrown me into an existential crisis that likes of which I can’t even begin to explain and has shaken the very foundation of what holds together my professional, personal and spiritual identity. I've coped with a number of traumatic things in my life, but have never felt more alone, terrified, and disillusioned at any point in my life. I feel frightened as I slowly watch myself spiral into depression/despair. Every day is getting worse than the last, my self-esteem has gone from low to non-existent, and I feel my grip on life slipping.

I applied to psychiatry this year and while I realized my passion/fit for the specialty later than most (a few months before applying), I had a pretty good interview season. I struggled with crippling anxiety about going unmatched (as I am sure most IMGs do but don’t admit) every single day ever since I became a medical student and wasn’t really expecting more than one or two interviews considering I was towards the bottom of my medical school class. However, I was pleasantly surprised by how many invites I received (10+). I don't even know why I got so many invites, but after watching this forum for so many years, I never even heard of someone not matching with this many so I let my guard down and didn’t even have a chance to brace for this blow. Even my own typically pessimistic advisors reassured me I would match and didn’t think I had any reason to delay receiving my diploma since it was “highly unlikely” this would happen. It is ironic in a sad way watching myself now resemble more of a psychiatric patient after being so close to having my dream career as a mental health provider. I really couldn’t imagine myself excelling at any other field of medicine either which makes this all the more painful. It was the only topic in medical school I ever performed strongly in and is really the only thing I can see myself happily pursuing in medicine. Thanks to covid however, most of my 4th year was taken away from me and I didn’t even have the ability to do any electives in psychiatry. But I gave up on being happy a long time ago, as I went to a foreign medical school knowing I would quite possibly not get to pursue my specialty of interest. I can accept that but at this point I just want a residency in anything. That is the part I am really having trouble accepting.

I have torn apart every aspect of my academic and personal background looking for clues as to why I didn’t match aside from shear bad luck but every time I think I am getting close to figuring something out, I am told it wasn’t the cause of me not matching and I am brought straight back to the drawing board. I am told conflicting things by every person I reach out to and honestly feel gaslighted by much of it. I almost wish someone would just tell me to give up and do something else to make this nightmare end. I reached out to several program directors and others who have seen my application, and even they feel somewhat confused as to how this occurred without any glaring red flags. I tried to listen past all the “it was a competitive year” cliches and tried to look for clues to why this occurred. I have become deeply paranoid thinking there is something negative on the internet about me, that I have some criminal record I’m not even aware of, that my interview skills are just complete garbage or even that I am a undiagnosed sociopath. But no one I have reached out to has said this to me. One person says I didn’t stand out enough or show leadership. I was stunned to hear this as I never went into medicine thinking I needed to be a leader. I always saw being a physician as being synonymous with being part of a team and saw leadership as a nice quality a few people have, but by no means a requirement to join a training program. I tried my hand at something like that in high school (was elected president of my student council) and got impeached because I was so unliked. I never excelled socially but was a good/decent student in high school/college (top tier undergrad and 3.4/28 MCAT: could have been a shoe-in for DO schools in hindsight) and saw medicine to be a good fit for me realizing I would never survive in the business world or just about any other field where connections are most of what determine if you get ahead. Another person said I needed more volunteer experience. And another even said (indirectly) that I wasn't "diverse" enough to rank more highly.

I have found myself visiting very dark areas of my psyche lately. Repressed thoughts from childhood, coming to terms with trauma I’ve tried to ignore for close to a decade, and symptoms of a quarter life crisis all because of one email. Aside from feeling like I am talking to a wall by sending emails out to new programs trying to find the figurative “unicorn” in obtaining a position between now and July outside of the match, I am caught in a 24/7 cycle of negative thoughts that are making me actively hate who I am as a person. I feel like a burden on my family (what’s left of them since I’ve detached from most of them since starting this journey), I feel like a horrible human being, and like someone who doesn’t even deserved to be saved most of the time. I have said/done so many reckless, ridiculous things over the past several weeks that I don't even know what there is to save at this point.

At this point nothing is changing. I am running out of options, no one seems to really care, and doors are just closing without any more opening. I passed my boards on the first attempts and can’t retake them for a higher score. I also graduated and in doing so made things even worse since I can’t get any REAL clinical experience over the next year. I even got a couple SOAP calls and a post SOAP interview at one of the most malignant prelim places I’ve ever heard of (reading about the stories from this place sounded like something out of a 19th century workhouse or labor camp) and even they rejected me. I literally got rejected from perhaps the worst residency in the country that couldn't even fill after 4 rounds of SOAP. I know that spot wouldn’t have helped me much and would have certainly been just another dead end, but it still would have been something to give purpose/meaning to whatever existence I have left for the immediate future.

Things just keep getting dangled in front of me and I don’t even know who is safe to trust. Most days it is hard to get out of bed and the only thing I look forward to is going to sleep. I don’t have any close friends (or probably any real friends) and have slowly developed every self destructive habit you can probably think of short of hard drugs over the years to cope with this lifestyle (no exercise, poor diet, gambling, drinking alone, cigarettes, marijuana). I even ordered them chronologically as I pretty much picked up a new one each year since my freshman year of undergrad as the pressure increased. My own health suffers in the pursuit of trying to serve others. How I even made it this far and got this close going through this process entirely alone surprises me. My relationships have all been either toxic or short lived and is yet another thing I have sacrificed (that normal people get to experience) because of medicine. I feel like this profession has turned me into a broken, cynical, and morally corrupted degenerate. I wouldn't wish the aftermath of what I am dealing with on anyone. Even as someone who has been avidly playing chess since I was a child, this is right about the time I would resign as it is considered rude to continue playing a game you know you are going to lose. And it's not like I am even talking about medicine alone anymore, this is consistent with how I feel about life itself right now. But in case my mindset is making me not think clearly and anyone sees an angle to make this situation better that I can’t, I would be very grateful.

As none of the programs I interviewed at went unfilled (according to SOAP) and several have confirmed to me I was ranked (was literally something like 10 ranks away from getting a spot at a program I auditioned at), I am trying to figure out if this is something I can still salvage or if I should cut my losses and try to rebuild my life doing something else. I feel trapped as I have already invested so much time/money into this and can’t really escape even if I wanted to. I know there are "success stories" of people who have been in this boat and found residencies, but I feel like at this point especially, they are the exception to the rule. And now I just don't know where to pull any motivation from. Every person I know who applied with me from my school this cycle matched, many with half the number of ranks I had. I could go on forever but I think at this point the overall theme is clear. This is known to be something that ruins lives and I cannot bring myself to become one of the "chronically unmatched" people the media likes to talk about from time to time. My odds are not going to be better next year, only worse being a year removed from medical school and if more than a dozen interviews couldn't get me a position at one of the least competitive programs/specialties in medicine, I wonder if the universe is trying to tell me something that I refused to listen to for my entire adult life. Thank you to anyone who has read this far. I really appreciate it.

Tldr: Was expecting to match but didn’t this year. Have no support network and have been in a tailspin ever since March 15th that I am not recovering from.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
  • Care
  • Love
  • Sad
Reactions: 16 users
Hi SDN. This is going to be a long depressing post, but I hope it can help the community and perhaps give insight to others to prevent them from potentially getting into the same predicament. Please forgive me if this post seems histrionic or overly dramatic as I am in a very difficult place.

I am a USIMG who just received my diploma a couple of weeks from one of the “stronger” Caribbean schools before getting the life altering news that I didn’t match. Since then, my life has been falling apart in every way imaginable. It has thrown me into an existential crisis that likes of which I can’t even begin to explain and has shaken the very foundation of my professional, personal and spiritual identity. I have never felt more alone, terrified, and disillusioned at any point in my life and feel frightened as I slowly watch myself spiral into depression/despair. Every day is getting worse than the last and I feel my grip on life slipping.

I applied to psychiatry this year and while I realized my passion/fit for the specialty later than most (a few months before applying), I had a pretty good interview season. I struggled with crippling anxiety about going unmatched (as I am sure most IMGs do but don’t admit) every single day ever since I became a medical student and wasn’t really expecting more than one or two interviews considering I was towards the bottom of my medical school class. However, I was pleasantly surprised by how many invites I received (10+). I don't even know why I got so many invites, but I never even heard of someone not matching with this many so I let my guard down and didn’t even have a chance to brace for this blow. Even my own advisors reassured me I would match and didn’t think I had any reason to delay receiving my diploma since it was “highly unlikely” this would happen. It is ironic in a sad way watching myself now resemble more of a psychiatric patient after being so close to having my dream career as a mental health provider. I really couldn’t imagine myself excelling at any other field of medicine either which makes this all the more painful. It was the only topic in medical school I ever performed strongly in and is really the only thing I can see myself happily pursuing in medicine. Thanks to covid however, most of my 4th year was taken away from me and I didn’t even have the ability to do any electives in psychiatry.

I have torn apart every aspect of my academic and personal background looking for clues as to why I didn’t match aside from shear bad luck but every time I think I am getting close to figuring something out, I am told it wasn’t the cause of me not matching and I am brought straight back to the drawing board. I am told conflicting things by every person I reach out to and honestly feel gaslighted at this point. I almost wish someone would just tell me to give up and do something else to make this nightmare end. I reached out to several program directors and others who have seen my application, and even they feel somewhat confused as to how this occurred without any glaring red flags. I tried to listen past all the “it was a competitive year” cliches and tried to look for clues to why this occurred. I have become deeply paranoid thinking there is something negative on the internet about me, that I have some criminal record I’m not even aware of, that my interview skills are just complete garbage or even that I am a undiagnosed sociopath. But no one I have reached out to has said this to me. One person says I didn’t stand out enough or show leadership. I was stunned to hear this as I never went into medicine thinking I needed to be a leader. I tried my hand at something like that in high school (was president of my student council) and got impeached because I was so unliked. I never excelled socially but was a good/decent student in high school/college (top tier undergrad and 3.4/28 MCAT: could have been a shoe-in for DO schools in hindsight) and saw medicine to be a good fit for me realizing I would never survive in the business world or just about any other field where connections are most of what determine if you get ahead. Another person said I needed more volunteer experience. And another even said (indirectly) that I wasn't "diverse" enough to rank more highly.

I have found myself visiting very dark areas of my psyche lately. Repressed thoughts from childhood, coming to terms with trauma I’ve tried to ignore for close to a decade, and symptoms of a quarter life crisis all because of one email. Aside from feeling like I am talking to a wall by sending emails out to new programs trying to find the figurative “unicorn” in obtaining a position between now and July outside of the match, I am caught in a cycle of negative thoughts that are making me actively hate who I am as a person. I feel like a burden on my family (what’s left of them since I’ve detached from most of them since starting this journey), I feel like a horrible human being, and like someone who doesn’t even deserved to be saved most of the time.

At this point nothing is changing. I am running out of options, no one seems to really care, and doors are just closing without any more opening. I passed my boards on the first attempts and can’t retake them for a higher score. I also graduated and in doing so made things even worse since I can’t get any REAL clinical experience over the next year. I even got a couple SOAP calls and a post SOAP interview at one of the most malignant prelim places I’ve ever heard of (reading about the stories from this place sounded like something out of a 19th century workhouse or labor camp) and even they rejected me. I literally got rejected from perhaps the worst residency in the country. I know that spot wouldn’t have helped me much and would have certainly been just another dead end, but it still would have been something to give purpose/meaning to whatever existence I have left for the immediate future.

Things just keep getting dangled in front of me and at this point I don’t even know who is safe to trust. Most days it is hard to get out of bed and the only thing I look forward to is going to sleep. I don’t have any close friends (or probably any real friends) and have developed every self destructive habit you can probably think of over the years to cope with this lifestyle (cigarettes, alcohol, gambling, no exercise, poor diet, marijuana, etc). My own health suffers in the pursuit of trying to serve others. How I even made it this far and got this close going through this process entirely alone surprises me. My relationships have all been either toxic or short lived and is yet another thing I have sacrificed because of medicine. I feel like this profession has turned me into a broken, cynical, and morally corrupted degenerate. I wouldn't wish the aftermath of what I am dealing with on anyone, but if anyone sees an angle to make this situation better that I can’t see I would be very grateful.

As none of the programs I interviewed at went unfilled (according to SOAP) and several have confirmed to me I was ranked (was literally something like 10 ranks away from getting a spot at a program I auditioned at), I am trying to figure out if this is something I can still salvage or if I should cut my losses and try to rebuild my life doing something else. I feel trapped as I have already invested so much time/money into this and can’t really escape even if I wanted to. I know there are "success stories" of people who have been in this boat and found residencies, but I feel like at this point especially, they are the exception to the rule. And I just don't know where to pull any motivation from at this point. I could go on forever but I think at this point the overall theme is clear. This is known to be something that ruins lives and I cannot bring myself to become one of the "chronically unmatched" people the media likes to talk about from time to time. My odds are not going to be better next year, only worse being a year removed from medical school and if more than a dozen interviews couldn't get me a position at one of the least competitive programs/specialties in medicine, I wonder if the universe is trying to tell me something that I refused to listen to for my entire adult life. Thank you to anyone who has read this far. I really appreciate it.

Tldr: Was expecting to match but didn’t this year. Have no support network and am have been in a tailspin ever since March 15th that I am not recovering from.

Please, please, please reach out for help. Call friends, family, anyone who can stay with you or anyone you can stay with. You shouldn't be alone. Get on one of those therapy apps and start therapy.

National Suicide Prevention Hotline
1-800-273-8255

Things will get better. You can move forward with a clear head and apply again. But please focus on your mental health right now.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
First thing’s first: I am not going to be giving any specific medical advice but I will say that I think you should strongly consider seeing a psychiatrist or a therapist. It doesn’t sound like you are in a good space to really work on resolving this and may need to prioritize your mental health.

Having said that, people have been beating around the bush about why you didn’t match but it sounds like you simply weren’t that competitive an applicant. You went to a Caribbean school and, by the sounds of it, didn’t do particularly well there. Psych is not derm but it is more competitive than it used to be. If you wind up applying again, you should not overestimate your chances and apply broadly. It does seem like some places were seriously considering your application so I think you may ultimately be successful. But you need to figure out your mental health and find a way to focus on pursuing this rationally and methodically.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
First thing’s first: I am not going to be giving any specific medical advice but I will say that I think you should strongly consider seeing a psychiatrist or a therapist. It doesn’t sound like you are in a good space to really work on resolving this and may need to prioritize your mental health.

Having said that, people have been beating around the bush about why you didn’t match but it sounds like you simply weren’t that competitive an applicant. You went to a Caribbean school and, by the sounds of it, didn’t do particularly well there. Psych is not derm but it is more competitive than it used to be. If you wind up applying again, you should not overestimate your chances and apply broadly. It does seem like some places were seriously considering your application so I think you may ultimately be successful. But you need to figure out your mental health and find a way to focus on pursuing this rationally and methodically.
I already knew how unpredictable psychiatry has been especially for IMGs in recent years, so I applied to a back up specialty too. Most of my interviews actually came in that specialty. Psychiatry was just my first choice by far. I applied super broadly as well and pretty much sent applications to every program that has taken IMGs in the past.

I know therapy is necessary (as badly as I wish it wasn't) and am actively considering that now. Although I had my darker moments at certain points along this path (studying for USMLEs/MCAT, applying to medical school, moving abroad, etc) I (think) I held it together well over the past year making one final push thinking it would pay off. Coming to terms with that is probably the hardest part of all of this and is why I feel so paralyzed. I've had a number of setbacks I have recovered from in the past, but this one really seems insurmountable right now.

Last edited:

I am a USIMG who just received my diploma a couple of weeks from one of the “stronger” Caribbean schools before getting the life altering news that I didn’t match. Since then, my life has been falling apart in every way imaginable. It has thrown me into an existential crisis that likes of which I can’t even begin to explain and has shaken the very foundation of my professional, personal and spiritual identity. I have never felt more alone, terrified, and disillusioned at any point in my life and feel frightened as I slowly watch myself spiral into depression/despair. Every day is getting worse than the last and I feel my grip on life slipping.

I applied to psychiatry this year and while I realized my passion/fit for the specialty later than most (a few months before applying), I had a pretty good interview season. I struggled with crippling anxiety about going unmatched (as I am sure most IMGs do but don’t admit) every single day ever since I became a medical student and wasn’t really expecting more than one or two interviews considering I was towards the bottom of my medical school class. However, I was pleasantly surprised by how many invites I received (10+). I don't even know why I got so many invites, but I never even heard of someone not matching with this many so I let my guard down and didn’t even have a chance to brace for this blow. Even my own advisors reassured me I would match and didn’t think I had any reason to delay receiving my diploma since it was “highly unlikely” this would happen. It is ironic in a sad way watching myself now resemble more of a psychiatric patient after being so close to having my dream career as a mental health provider. I really couldn’t imagine myself excelling at any other field of medicine either which makes this all the more painful. It was the only topic in medical school I ever performed strongly in and is really the only thing I can see myself happily pursuing in medicine. Thanks to covid however, most of my 4th year was taken away from me and I didn’t even have the ability to do any electives in psychiatry.

I have torn apart every aspect of my academic and personal background looking for clues as to why I didn’t match aside from shear bad luck but every time I think I am getting close to figuring something out, I am told it wasn’t the cause of me not matching and I am brought straight back to the drawing board. I am told conflicting things by every person I reach out to and honestly feel gaslighted at this point. I almost wish someone would just tell me to give up and do something else to make this nightmare end. I reached out to several program directors and others who have seen my application, and even they feel somewhat confused as to how this occurred without any glaring red flags. I tried to listen past all the “it was a competitive year” cliches and tried to look for clues to why this occurred. I have become deeply paranoid thinking there is something negative on the internet about me, that I have some criminal record I’m not even aware of, that my interview skills are just complete garbage or even that I am a undiagnosed sociopath. But no one I have reached out to has said this to me. One person says I didn’t stand out enough or show leadership. I was stunned to hear this as I never went into medicine thinking I needed to be a leader. I tried my hand at something like that in high school (was president of my student council) and got impeached because I was so unliked. I never excelled socially but was a good/decent student in high school/college (top tier undergrad and 3.4/28 MCAT: could have been a shoe-in for DO schools in hindsight) and saw medicine to be a good fit for me realizing I would never survive in the business world or just about any other field where connections are most of what determine if you get ahead. Another person said I needed more volunteer experience. And another even said (indirectly) that I wasn't "diverse" enough to rank more highly.

I have found myself visiting very dark areas of my psyche lately. Repressed thoughts from childhood, coming to terms with trauma I’ve tried to ignore for close to a decade, and symptoms of a quarter life crisis all because of one email. Aside from feeling like I am talking to a wall by sending emails out to new programs trying to find the figurative “unicorn” in obtaining a position between now and July outside of the match, I am caught in a cycle of negative thoughts that are making me actively hate who I am as a person. I feel like a burden on my family (what’s left of them since I’ve detached from most of them since starting this journey), I feel like a horrible human being, and like someone who doesn’t even deserved to be saved most of the time.

At this point nothing is changing. I am running out of options, no one seems to really care, and doors are just closing without any more opening. I passed my boards on the first attempts and can’t retake them for a higher score. I also graduated and in doing so made things even worse since I can’t get any REAL clinical experience over the next year. I even got a couple SOAP calls and a post SOAP interview at one of the most malignant prelim places I’ve ever heard of (reading about the stories from this place sounded like something out of a 19th century workhouse or labor camp) and even they rejected me. I literally got rejected from perhaps the worst residency in the country. I know that spot wouldn’t have helped me much and would have certainly been just another dead end, but it still would have been something to give purpose/meaning to whatever existence I have left for the immediate future.

Things just keep getting dangled in front of me and at this point I don’t even know who is safe to trust. Most days it is hard to get out of bed and the only thing I look forward to is going to sleep. I don’t have any close friends (or probably any real friends) and have developed every self destructive habit you can probably think of over the years to cope with this lifestyle (cigarettes, alcohol, gambling, no exercise, poor diet, marijuana, etc). My own health suffers in the pursuit of trying to serve others. How I even made it this far and got this close going through this process entirely alone surprises me. My relationships have all been either toxic or short lived and is yet another thing I have sacrificed because of medicine. I feel like this profession has turned me into a broken, cynical, and morally corrupted degenerate. I wouldn't wish the aftermath of what I am dealing with on anyone, but if anyone sees an angle to make this situation better that I can’t see I would be very grateful.

As none of the programs I interviewed at went unfilled (according to SOAP) and several have confirmed to me I was ranked (was literally something like 10 ranks away from getting a spot at a program I auditioned at), I am trying to figure out if this is something I can still salvage or if I should cut my losses and try to rebuild my life doing something else. I feel trapped as I have already invested so much time/money into this and can’t really escape even if I wanted to. I know there are "success stories" of people who have been in this boat and found residencies, but I feel like at this point especially, they are the exception to the rule. And I just don't know where to pull any motivation from at this point. I could go on forever but I think at this point the overall theme is clear. This is known to be something that ruins lives and I cannot bring myself to become one of the "chronically unmatched" people the media likes to talk about from time to time. My odds are not going to be better next year, only worse being a year removed from medical school and if more than a dozen interviews couldn't get me a position at one of the least competitive programs/specialties in medicine, I wonder if the universe is trying to tell me something that I refused to listen to for my entire adult life. Thank you to anyone who has read this far. I really appreciate it.

Tldr: Was expecting to match but didn’t this year. Have no support network and have been in a tailspin ever since March 15th that I am not recovering from.

There's a lot to unpack here, but some of it I want to leave to the mental health professional you chose to establish with which is the glaring thing missing in this reflection. Just hearing the story, you are developing many unhealthy coping mechanisms which can ruin your mental health unless you choose to get help and have a professional intervene. Doing that now will stop the downward spiral.

1.) Reading your story, I am pretty sure you simply fell through the cracks. I would not self-question or ruminate on it anymore than that (I know you will, but try to limit it)...You were 10 ranks away from matching at one place. I would also not judge not getting the most malignant position available in SOAP as a knock on your qualifications.

2.) You also seem quite aware of the situation at hand and have done most of the standard stuff anyone here would recommend. Your academic credentials pre-medical school aren't bad either and I agree a DO school may have served you much better. I suggest you do the only logical thing at this point which is to reapply. I am sure there are some FB, WhatsApp groups for unmatched applicants looking for opportunities. Seek out some of those and try to find any clinical experience still available to you.

3.) Your PS will eventually need to be rewritten to incorporate this set back. I would ask anyone honest with you to evaluate the strength of your letters and see if one or two can be replaced. You might wonder who would replace the letter, but there are compassionate people out there who if you mentioned your situation to them, would be more than happy to help you, you just have to find them. You will also need to apply much more broadly to Psychiatry, but also IM and FM this next time around.

This may add some additional hope:

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
I already knew how unpredictable psychiatry has been especially for IMGs in recent years, so I applied to a back up specialty too. Most of my interviews actually came in that specialty. Psychiatry was just my first choice by far. I applied super broadly as well and pretty much sent applications to every program that has taken IMGs in the past.

I know therapy is necessary (as badly as I wish it wasn't) and am actively considering that now. Although I had my darker moments at certain points along this path (studying for USMLEs, applying to medical school, moving abroad, etc) I (think) I held it together well over the past year making one final push thinking it would pay off. Coming to terms with that is probably the hardest part of all of this and is why I feel so paralyzed. I've had a number of setbacks I have recovered from in the past, but this one really seems insurmountable right now.
An important thing to realize is that this setback does not define you as a person. You are a valuable person regardless of what happens in this area of your life. I know this can be difficult to realize in low moments, but it is the truth. As I said, I think you are likely to ultimately be successful in your search for a residency, but the stakes of this should not and can not be your own sense of self-worth.

The professional road ahead will be hard and anyone who tells you otherwise is just not being honest. Still, you’re going to have a much better time navigating that bumpy road with a well-maintained vehicle. Remember that seeking help when necessary is a strength, not a failing.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
An important thing to realize is that this setback does not define you as a person. You are a valuable person regardless of what happens in this area of your life. I know this can be difficult to realize in low moments, but it is the truth. As I said, I think you are likely to ultimately be successful in your search for a residency, but the stakes of this should not and can not be your own sense of self-worth.

The professional road ahead will be hard and anyone who tells you otherwise is just not being honest. Still, you’re going to have a much better time navigating that bumpy road with a well-maintained vehicle. Remember that seeking help when necessary is a strength, not a failing.
I know, but I've been doing a lot of self-reflection lately and see the extent to which this process has damaged me and how I ignored it for so long. I am almost afraid to hear what a therapist would have to say about me.

I know I (probably) still have some value as a person, but it is just so hard to see right now. Regardless of whether or not I should have put my whole-self worth into this: that is exactly what I ended up doing and am stuck with the repercussions of that decision now.

I know therapy is necessary (as badly as I wish it wasn't) and am actively considering that now. Although I had my darker moments at certain points along this path (studying for USMLEs, applying to medical school, moving abroad, etc) I (think) I held it together well over the past year making one final push thinking it would pay off. Coming to terms with that is probably the hardest part of all of this and is why I feel so paralyzed. I've had a number of setbacks I have recovered from in the past, but this one really seems insurmountable right now.
So sorry to hear this is happening to you. As everyone else has said, please seek your own mental health.

It is impossible to know for sure, but I suspect the bolded is your answer. If you applied to psych knowing that you weren't competitive, but applied to another specialty as a backup... likely those other specialties could tell you just weren't that into that specialty. It sucks, but at the end of the day not everyone gets to work in their desired specialty.

If you got 10+ interviews this year, your app isn't bad, it just isn't competitive for a medium competitive specialty like psych. Commit to FM or community IM, apply broadly, and I suspect you will match. You can do a lot of good in terms of mental health from either of those specialties.

Reactions: 2 users
So sorry to hear this is happening to you. As everyone else has said, please seek your own mental health.

It is impossible to know for sure, but I suspect the bolded is your answer. If you applied to psych knowing that you weren't competitive, but applied to another specialty as a backup... likely those other specialties could tell you just weren't that into that specialty. It sucks, but at the end of the day not everyone gets to work in their desired specialty.

If you got 10+ interviews this year, your app isn't bad, it just isn't competitive for a medium competitive specialty like psych. Commit to FM or community IM, apply broadly, and I suspect you will match. You can do a lot of good in terms of mental health from either of those specialties.
But it's like, even the psychiatry programs that I've heard back from mentioned to me that a concern they had was that they couldn't tell if psychiatry was my true interest (hearing that was a slap in the face). Apparently it was somehow apparent to them that I applied to another specialty (perhaps an LOR, word of mouth at the hospital, etc). I tried to go through the interview cycle with integrity and honesty, but had to tell so many lies about where my interests are and where I would like to live, that I probably just always seem disingenuous now whenever I speak.

I would rather not say what my back up specialty was at this point (just to protect my identity), but I did have strong letters in it and completed an audition rotation I had to scramble to get in the tiny gap between my step 2 and ERAS opening which was a stressful nightmare in and of itself. I even got interviews at a couple mid-tier places with mostly AMGs. I went into applying for psychiatry with, admittedly, sort of a defeatist attitude (I wasn't expecting to get any interviews in it) after hearing how competitive it is becoming almost by the month and put a lot of time into tailoring a strong application to my backup specialty as well knowing that it was the most likely outcome to expect based on past data. I really spent years thinking a lot of this process out two steps ahead to prevent this unmatched scenario from occurring since I knew the kind of place it would leave me. This year there were more open spots in orthopedic surgery than psych. even though there are far more spots available in psychiatry. I really feel like especially after this pandemic and people seeing the light with Telehealth being the future of medicine, I've missed the one chance I have of ever getting into psychiatry. Salaries have been skyrocketing faster than any field and people in my generation are starting to value lifestyle over other areas. I'm just in the wrong place at the wrong time once again.

Last edited:
But it's like, even the psychiatry programs that I've heard back from mentioned to me that a concern they had was that they couldn't tell if psychiatry was my true interest (hearing that was a slap in the face). Apparently it was somehow apparent to them that I applied to another specially (perhaps an LOR, word of mouth at the hospital, etc). I tried to go through the interview cycle with integrity and honesty, but had to tell so many lies about where my interests are and where I would like to live, that I probably just always seem disingenuous now whenever I speak.

I would rather not say what my back up specialty was at this point (just to protect my identity), but I did have strong letters in it and completed an audition rotation I had to scramble to get in the tiny gap between my step 2 and ERAS opening which was a stressful nightmare in and of itself. I went into applying for psychiatry with, admittedly, sort of a defeatist attitude (I wasn't expecting to get any interviews in it) after hearing how competitive it is becoming almost by the month and put a lot of time into tailoring a strong application to my backup specialty as well knowing that it was the most likely outcome to expect based on past data. I really spent years thinking a lot of this process out two steps ahead to prevent this scenario from occurring since I knew the kind of place it would leave me.
It sucks. But that is the risk with dual-applying, your CV looks like you're covering multiple bases.

Keep your ear to the ground for any open positions for July 1. Re-apply to your former backup specialty this year and be all-in. After going through all you went through to get through the Caribbean, you owe it to yourself to give it one more shot.

Reactions: 1 user
...I was towards the bottom of my medical school class.
This was unlikely to help your application and will need to be buffed with whatever you plan to do in the upcoming year. If you truly want a career in psychiatry I'd focus your efforts in the next year on something that will demonstrate your interest.
I tried my hand at something like that in high school (was president of my student council) and got impeached because I was so unliked. I never excelled socially but was a good/decent student in high school/college (top tier undergrad and 3.4/28 MCAT: could have been a shoe-in for DO schools in hindsight) and saw medicine to be a good fit for me realizing I would never survive in the business world or just about any other field where connections are most of what determine if you get ahead.
Medicine is all about connections, the further along you go the more true this becomes. Consider truthfully whether you have grown as a person since you were impeached in high school.
But it's like, even the psychiatry programs that I've heard back from mentioned to me that a concern they had was that they couldn't tell if psychiatry was my true interest (hearing that was a slap in the face). Apparently it was somehow apparent to them that I applied to another specially (perhaps an LOR, word of mouth at the hospital, etc). I tried to go through the interview cycle with integrity and honesty, but had to tell so many lies about where my interests are and where I would like to live, that I probably just always seem disingenuous now whenever I speak.
Don't lie during interviews. It will show. Your noticeable lack of interest likely contributed to your ranking. No program wants someone who already doesn't want to be there.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
This was unlikely to help your application and will need to be buffed with whatever you plan to do in the upcoming year. If you truly want a career in psychiatry I'd focus your efforts in the next year on something that will demonstrate your interest.
I will say bluntly that the OP needs to commit to their backup specialty. He/she shot their shot at psych, and it didn't work out. It hurts, but they need to move on or they will be in dire danger of indeed becoming one of those chronically unmatched people.

Reactions: 6 users
This was a weird cycle. I personally know rock-star candidates with 10+ interviews who didn't match, and, like you, weren't given concrete answers as to why. Hopefully next year will be different. With that in mind:

1) Spend the next few months focusing on yourself. You didn't match; it's not the end of the world. Time to re-center.

2) You seem to imply you may not have interviewed well. I would practice interviewing with a friend or prepare some answers. One of the things I heard multiple times from my friends who didn't match is they were told interviewers felt they didn't have much to say.
but had to tell so many lies about where my interests are and where I would like to live, that I probably just always seem disingenuous now whenever I speak
This is pretty obvious during interviews, so focus on talking about what you do want. You should be driving (or at least co-piloting) the interviews. You're a reapplicant from the Caribbean, and by your own admission probably not the strongest candidate; programs know you'll be applying everywhere. Focus on selling yourself, not your (fake) interest in the specific program.

3) I hate to say it, but psychiatry is probably a long shot at this point. Not sure what your backup specialty was, but I'd advise you to apply very broadly to FM (or IM, if you want). A huge amount of FM is psych, and you can help a lot of people.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will say bluntly that the OP needs to commit to their backup specialty. He/she shot their shot at psych, and it didn't work out. It hurts, but they need to move on or they will be in dire danger of indeed becoming one of those chronically unmatched people.
In that case, is it not even worth it applying to psychiatry again? My school advisor gave me conflicting advice but I definitely don't want to chase after something that will never happen and make my already poor chances even worse. Obviously I would still apply to my second choice specialty regardless and know I am not in any place to be greedy, but would it hurt my overall chances to at least still send applications to psychiatry programs?

Though I am embarrassed to say that at this point I don't even know if I am going to be able to recover and pull it together to reapply (I'm really trying my best). But I suppose in case I manage to make it through another 6 months, it would be helpful to get some clarity on this.

In that case, is it not even worth it applying to psychiatry again? My school advisor gave me conflicting advice but I definitely don't want to chase after something that will never happen and make my already poor chances even worse. Obviously I would still apply to my second choice specialty regardless and know I am not in any place to be greedy, but would it hurt my overall chances to at least still send applications to psychiatry programs?

Though I am embarrassed to say that at this point I don't even know if I am going to be able to recover and pull it together to reapply (I'm really trying my best). But I suppose in case I manage to make it through another 6 months, it would be helpful to get some clarity on this.
My reflexive answer is that it’s not worth it. But if you are considering reapplying to a few psych programs, the question has to be “what will be different this time?” Simply applying again with a worse app (as you’re a graduated senior) and hoping for a better result will not work out well.

I agree. It's time to commit to 100 psych and 200+ FM applications next cycle.

Last edited:

I am a USIMG who just received my diploma (from one of the "stronger" Caribbean schools) a couple of weeks before getting the news that I didn’t match. Since then, my life has been falling apart in every way imaginable. It has thrown me into an existential crisis that likes of which I can’t even begin to explain and has shaken the very foundation of my professional, personal and spiritual identity. I've coped with a number of traumatic things in my life, but have never felt more alone, terrified, and disillusioned at any point in my life. I feel frightened as I slowly watch myself spiral into depression/despair. Every day is getting worse than the last and I feel my grip on life slipping.

I applied to psychiatry this year and while I realized my passion/fit for the specialty later than most (a few months before applying), I had a pretty good interview season. I struggled with crippling anxiety about going unmatched (as I am sure most IMGs do but don’t admit) every single day ever since I became a medical student and wasn’t really expecting more than one or two interviews considering I was towards the bottom of my medical school class. However, I was pleasantly surprised by how many invites I received (10+). I don't even know why I got so many invites, but even after watching this forum for so many years, I never even heard of someone not matching with this many so I let my guard down and didn’t even have a chance to brace for this blow. Even my own typically pessimistic advisors reassured me I would match and didn’t think I had any reason to delay receiving my diploma since it was “highly unlikely” this would happen. It is ironic in a sad way watching myself now resemble more of a psychiatric patient after being so close to having my dream career as a mental health provider. I really couldn’t imagine myself excelling at any other field of medicine either which makes this all the more painful. It was the only topic in medical school I ever performed strongly in and is really the only thing I can see myself happily pursuing in medicine. Thanks to covid however, most of my 4th year was taken away from me and I didn’t even have the ability to do any electives in psychiatry. But I gave up on being happy a long time ago, as I went to a foreign medical school knowing I would quite possibly not get to pursue my specialty of interest. I can accept that but at this point I just want a residency in anything. That is the part I am really having trouble accepting.

I have torn apart every aspect of my academic and personal background looking for clues as to why I didn’t match aside from shear bad luck but every time I think I am getting close to figuring something out, I am told it wasn’t the cause of me not matching and I am brought straight back to the drawing board. I am told conflicting things by every person I reach out to and honestly feel gaslighted at this point. I almost wish someone would just tell me to give up and do something else to make this nightmare end. I reached out to several program directors and others who have seen my application, and even they feel somewhat confused as to how this occurred without any glaring red flags. I tried to listen past all the “it was a competitive year” cliches and tried to look for clues to why this occurred. I have become deeply paranoid thinking there is something negative on the internet about me, that I have some criminal record I’m not even aware of, that my interview skills are just complete garbage or even that I am a undiagnosed sociopath. But no one I have reached out to has said this to me. One person says I didn’t stand out enough or show leadership. I was stunned to hear this as I never went into medicine thinking I needed to be a leader. I always saw being a physician as being synonymous with being part of a team and saw leadership as a nice quality a few people have, but by no means a requirement to join a training program. I tried my hand at something like that in high school (was president of my student council) and got impeached because I was so unliked. I never excelled socially but was a good/decent student in high school/college (top tier undergrad and 3.4/28 MCAT: could have been a shoe-in for DO schools in hindsight) and saw medicine to be a good fit for me realizing I would never survive in the business world or just about any other field where connections are most of what determine if you get ahead. Another person said I needed more volunteer experience. And another even said (indirectly) that I wasn't "diverse" enough to rank more highly.

I have found myself visiting very dark areas of my psyche lately. Repressed thoughts from childhood, coming to terms with trauma I’ve tried to ignore for close to a decade, and symptoms of a quarter life crisis all because of one email. Aside from feeling like I am talking to a wall by sending emails out to new programs trying to find the figurative “unicorn” in obtaining a position between now and July outside of the match, I am caught in a 24/7 cycle of negative thoughts that are making me actively hate who I am as a person. I feel like a burden on my family (what’s left of them since I’ve detached from most of them since starting this journey), I feel like a horrible human being, and like someone who doesn’t even deserved to be saved most of the time. I have said/done so many reckless, ridiculous things over the past several weeks that I don't even know what there is to save at this point.

Things just keep getting dangled in front of me and at this point I don’t even know who is safe to trust. Most days it is hard to get out of bed and the only thing I look forward to is going to sleep. I don’t have any close friends (or probably any real friends) and have slowly developed every self destructive habit you can probably think of short of hard drugs over the years to cope with this lifestyle (no exercise, poor diet, gambling, drinking alone, cigarettes, marijuana). I even ordered them chronologically as I pretty much picked up a new one each year since my freshman year of undergrad as the pressure increased. My own health suffers in the pursuit of trying to serve others. How I even made it this far and got this close going through this process entirely alone surprises me. My relationships have all been either toxic or short lived and is yet another thing I have sacrificed because of medicine. I feel like this profession has turned me into a broken, cynical, and morally corrupted degenerate. I wouldn't wish the aftermath of what I am dealing with on anyone. Even as someone who has been avidly playing chess since I was a child, this is right about the time I would resign as it is considered rude to continue playing a game you know you are going to lose. And it's not like I am even talking about medicine alone anymore, this is consistent with how I feel about life itself right now. But in case my mindset is making me not think clearly and anyone sees an angle to make this situation better that I can’t, I would be very grateful.

Depression is poorly managed on anonymous internet message boards. Get some help, stat. This is NOT giving medical advice.

Reactions: 5 users
Depression is poorly managed on anonymous internet message boards. Get some help, stat. This is NOT giving medical advice.
I'm really not looking for medical advice (I know I need some and am working on that now).

I am more trying to present all the facts about my situation and determine whether strangers even think I deserve any more chances and where to go from here. I can't see clearly if I am being too hard on myself, so it's helpful to get additional opinions.

I'm really not looking for medical advice (I know I need some and am working on that now).

I am more trying to present all the facts about my situation and determine whether strangers even think I deserve any more chances and where to go from here. I can't see clearly if I am being too hard on myself, so it's helpful to get additional opinions.
Forget about anything else except getting help.

The "medical advice" thing this is routine for for me because I once got chewed out by a mod for telling people to go get help.

• Hmm
Reactions: 4 users

To expand further on Goro's above post, there is a strict no medical advice rule here on the forums. People who are looking for medical information will google and come up with SDN. They'll find the specialty forums (near the bottom of the main forum screen) and post their medical issue asking for advice wrongly thinking that SDN is a forum meant for that when really it's not.

For example, the dermatology forum is to discuss dermatology residency issues, job issues, etc. Every once in awhile a new person will come on (by finding the forum using the method above) and make a post about a rash they have asking for advice....which again, isn't allowed on SDN.

As you can imagine, it is sometimes a fine line. Putting a disclaimer lets mods and others know we are posting something that isn't meant to be medical advice in those situations.

Like telling you to talk to someone isn't necessarily medical advice (at least imo)...it's just advice one human to another.
Telling you you need an anti-depressant would be giving you medical advice and not allowed here (Disclaimer, I am not saying you need to be on an anti-depressant).

Reactions: 3 users
Forget about anything else except getting help.

The "medical advice" thing this is routine for for me because I once got chewed out by a mod for telling people to go get help.
I'm sure it was more than that Goro!

A lot of good but slightly different advice on here. I advise OP to apply broadly to Psych and FM/IM. You just need to find someone who can write you 3 good FM/IM letters and you can keep your letters that say "Psych1912 will be an outstanding psychiatrist one day" but just assign those to your psych program. ERAS keeps your old LORs in the system to reuse. Reapplying to Psych programs next time around will have zero affect on your FM applications outside of potentially taking interview days you may use for FM. You can customize your PS and everything.

A lot of good but slightly different advice on here. I advise OP to apply broadly to Psych and FM/IM. You just need to find someone who can write you 3 good FM/IM letters and you can keep your letters that say "Psych1912 will be an outstanding psychiatrist one day" but just assign those to your psych program. ERAS keeps your old LORs in the system to reuse. Reapplying to Psych programs next time around will have zero affect on your FM applications outside of potentially taking interview days you may use for FM. You can customize your PS and everything.
I really want to still apply to psychiatry if it is at all practical. The problem is I am now afraid if I get any experience in psych (research, work, etc) and report it on my CV, the FM or IM programs will see that and will respond negatively. And vice versa

I really want to still apply to psychiatry if it is at all practical. The problem is I am now afraid if I get any experience in psych (research, work, etc) and report it on my CV, the FM or IM programs will see that and will respond negatively. And vice versa
Sure, but let me just be real with you for a second. You won't find meaningful Psychiatry clinical experience that is changing anyone's mind. How many Psych places did you apply to the first time around?

OP, certainly reflection on what happened is warranted, but only when you are mentally ready to look at this past app cycle objectively. I think you have received quality compassionate advice so far. Character is how you act after getting knocked down. Best to focus on what you can do rather on what you can't. Lots of psych in FM, something to consider. What can you do to enhance your app? Research? Mission work? Work for an insurance co? I'm sorry you are going through this. When you are emotionally ready, it will be time to dissect what happened and work on a plan to achieve your goals. Be honest with yourself and make realistic goals to enhance your chances of being successful. Good luck and best wishes!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
As long as you keep up the fight life has a way of working out beautifully. But you need to be one of those who keeps up the fight. The fight isnt always staying on the same path, sometimes the fight IS the ability to shift and adjust to a new path. You are this far along the journey for a reason, there are great things out there you are capable of achieving from here if you choose to fight for them.