2 year Army HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dexadental

1K Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience with the two year army HPSP scholarships? Or three year?

Members don't see this ad.

If you've decided to definitely take HPSP, then I advise against the 2-year scholarship (assuming it's not too late). I believe if you read the fine print, the minimum ADSO for any HPSP scholarship is 3 years, so you might as well have that 3rd year of schooling paid for.

There is, at least in theory, some advantage of the 3-year scholarship over the 4-year one. In medicine, if a 3-year scholarship recipient did a shorter residency, then his/her ADSO would be a year shorter. However, if one seriously thinks that he will do a longer residency (e.g. radiology, surgery), then he might as well do the 4-year scholarship.

I would imagine that general dentistry would work similarly. I.e., if one had a 3-year scholarship a general dentist would only owe an ADSO of 3 years. Dentistry specialty residency programs might work differently, however. I suggest you contact active duty Army dentist directly; don't believe what the recruiter tells you.

I am a 2 yr recipient. Feel free to private message me.