2 residencies at the same time

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mpdoc2

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I will be finishing my prelim year 5 days into my PGY-2 year. The last 5 days of my PGY-1 year are my vacation days, so that I can physically start and be at my PGY-2 program on time. Could/ Would this be an issue?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Technically, you can't do this. You'd be paid twice for those 14 days, both billed to medicare. That being said, it probably happens all of the time.

i see

Last edited:
but technically i'll be working double shift, so wouldn't it be ok to be payed double?

There are no "double shifts" in residency, where they own you for a total of 80 hours/week average. Technically you are working one shift but two entities are charging medicare for your time. So aPD is right, your hospitals are "double billing" your time, which is technically fraud. Probably happens a lot, and isn't right, and as a taxpayer I am appalled, but it's not really your problem -- you just show up when and where your programs tell you and do your job under your contract. You are otherwise going to be working a few weeks extra at the other end of residency if you started late so I would probably not make too much of a fuss.