2 Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

montag925

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I have two questions for any military dentist out there willing to answer. Looking at previous threads, I see that questions like these have been asked, but I wanted to get clear answers to each.

1. Does the dental school you graduate from play a major factor in your job/location placement once on duty as a general dentist? (i.e.. is someone with a Harvard diploma more likely to get a better choice of jobs/better lifestyle than someone from a state school?)

2. As a military dentist, what do you wish you knew when entering dental school/applying for the HPSP scholarship that you know now? (I figure this is a common, yet informative question)

Any honest answers to these questions would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I have two questions for any military dentist out there willing to answer. Looking at previous threads, I see that questions like these have been asked, but I wanted to get clear answers to each.

1. Does the dental school you graduate from play a major factor in your job/location placement once on duty as a general dentist? (i.e.. is someone with a Harvard diploma more likely to get a better choice of jobs/better lifestyle than someone from a state school?)

No.

2. As a military dentist, what do you wish you knew when entering dental school/applying for the HPSP scholarship that you know now? (I figure this is a common, yet informative question)

Work hard every day. You may think now that you don't want to specialize, but you never know. Plan on doing an AEGD and getting some experience before you specialize.

Any honest answers to these questions would be much appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Hope this helps.

g
Hey guys, I have two questions for any military dentist out there willing to answer. Looking at previous threads, I see that questions like these have been asked, but I wanted to get clear answers to each. g

Nope

If you take the HPSP scholarship - make sure to do the externships with the military during dental school. It is a great chance to check out training programs or bases you may be interested in going to. It also helps to acclimate you to the military before you are suddenly thrust into it. Also do the Officer Basic Course before or during dental school - if it's an option it will save you some time later on.

Realize that deployments are a possibility regardless of what service you join. Don't try to get out of them. If you don't want to deploy - don't join the military. If they ask for volunteers and you don't want to go - don't volunteer. If they select you - don't throw a fit or find some way to get out of it. It is something that will leave a very sour taste for those who work with you, and may be something you regret years down the road (If only I had ...).