2 more days!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jeff2005

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
2 more days of my sub-i, and I am done with clinical medicine!! I can't believe it. When are you guys finishing?

Members don't see this ad.

today was my last day of rotations! :D could hardly contain myself, telling the residents that this was my last rounds EVER. and it's the last time i'll be at a VA hospital. don't think i'll miss the unique, sweetly disgusting aroma of urine and pancakes that seems to permeate the hallways.

unfortunately, i have a shelf exam tomorrow, so i'll defer the celebration until after the test.

Members don't see this ad :)
subI's suck
rounds suck
clinical rotations suck

congrats jeff and roach for almost being done or being done with all that crap. :thumbup:

Congrats!! My last day of patient contact was the last day of my sub-I a month ago. I was post call on a tough call night, and that morning I told everybody I encountered "this is my last day of patient contact EVER! Never EVER again do I have to deal with this EVER again!!"...I told the nurses, the PT's, the PRM, my attending...it was awesome!! If I could have high fived people, I would have!! It's quite a high, and you should totally enjoy it! I know many of my classmates were quite jealous
:D

caffeinegirl said:
Congrats!! My last day of patient contact was the last day of my sub-I a month ago. I was post call on a tough call night, and that morning I told everybody I encountered "this is my last day of patient contact EVER! Never EVER again do I have to deal with this EVER again!!"...I told the nurses, the PT's, the PRM, my attending...it was awesome!! If I could have high fived people, I would have!! It's quite a high, and you should totally enjoy it! I know many of my classmates were quite jealous
:D

You all are very lucky, because my last clinical day wasn't until may of my 4th year. I felt like the last 4th year student to finish med school, and perhaps I was.

AndyMilonakis said:
how do you do an H&P again?

Hx: Pt with pain and distress x days to weeks

EOMI PERRLA MMM
RRR no m/r/g lungs cta
abd (+) BS NT ND
no c/c/e

Soc history retired
Fam history cancer
PMH mult surgeries, diabetes

a/p illness. Give fluids and antibiotics. Consult surgery and cardiology. Continue home meds. Finger sticks.

yaah said:
Hx: Pt with pain and distress x days to weeks

EOMI PERRLA MMM
RRR no m/r/g lungs cta
abd (+) BS NT ND
no c/c/e

Soc history retired
Fam history cancer
PMH mult surgeries, diabetes

a/p illness. Give fluids and antibiotics. Consult surgery and cardiology. Continue home meds. Finger sticks.
no clue what all that means. it's been almost a whole year since i saw those abbreviations :p

AndyMilonakis said:
no clue what all that means. it's been almost a whole year since i saw those abbreviations :p

It means d/c to home, f/u with PCP.

And get the freaking biopsy!

jeff2005 said:
2 more days of my sub-i, and I am done with clinical medicine!! I can't believe it. When are you guys finishing?

May 2006. :thumbdown: :smuggrin:

I am glad you are almost done though! :thumbup:

Tonight is the last night of my last rotation (OB Labor and Delivery)!!!

Also last time I will lay these healing hands on a live patient!!!!!!!!! (unless you count FNAs and possibly transfusion reactions I guess)

Actually I've enjoyed some of my 4th year clinical electives, I briefly went all delusional during my endo rotation and thought about scrambling into IM if path didn't work out. Luckily I snapped out of that psychotic state, threw cold water on my face and begged Virchow forgiveness for my sins! Apparently He let it slide.

Odd clinical story today - a baby was born with bad APGARS (1 and 0), suspicion of a congenital heart problem due to a prenatal ultrasound. Attempted intubation failed x3 when they got stuck going past the vocal cords. Attempted trach failed due to excessive bleeding and the child dying before they could get the trach in. Sent to autopsy, suspicion for tracheal atresia.

Autopsy findings: Complete agenesis of the entire respiratory tract below the vocal cords. There was tracheal atresia, but there were also no lungs at all. Very odd. Pulmonary artery came off the heart, did not branch, and went straight into the aorta through the ductus. No venous return to the left heart.

Members don't see this ad :)
That was so depressing. Please man, you must now tell the group something funny to alleviate the depression.

One time on internal medicine rotation I had a patient with cirrhosis and massive ascites who refused to let us tap his belly while Days of Our Lives was on. That isn't that funny either, I guess. Sorry.

yaah said:
One time on internal medicine rotation I had a patient with cirrhosis and massive ascites who refused to let us tap his belly while Days of Our Lives was on. That isn't that funny either, I guess. Sorry.

I guess it is a little funny that his priorities were ordered in such a fashion. I would personally rather gouge my eyes out than watch Days.

Well, eventually we compromised and told him it was going to take about an hour to drain all of his ascites, so he could watch while we drained. That way both of us won, because we didn't have to talk to him about his previous career as a constantly drunk Callahan Tunnel toll booth attendant.

2 more hours!!! How should I celebrate? I'd love to burn my white coat but I still need it for the Clinical Skills exam next week. Any ideas?

jeff2005 said:
2 more hours!!! How should I celebrate? I'd love to burn my white coat but I still need it for the Clinical Skills exam next week. Any ideas?
Go to a very nice restaurant and splurge. You deserve it! :thumbup:

I would personally rather gouge my eyes out than watch Days.

I agree. "Young and the Restless" RULES!!!

That way both of us won, because we didn't have to talk to him about his previous career as a constantly drunk Callahan Tunnel toll booth attendant.

Are you kidding me? That sounds like great story material! :p

Clinical medicine:

(a) Sucks donkey balls.
(b) Makes eating rat testicles seem like a picnic in the park.
(c) Is less preferable than playing booger ping-pong with homeless children with TB.
(d) sub-I's are best replaced by pathology sub-I's
(e) All of the above

It's 2pm. I am finally fed and watered to my contentment and am ready for bed.

But if I go to bed now I am going to wake up in the evening and be unable to go to sleep at 10pm :(

I hate weekend call!

I agree with that! That happened to me on my weekend calls in surgery. Get out of the hospital at about 11am or noon, try to decide what to do. Usually ended up not going to bed, but dozing on the couch off and on until 9pm or so when I went to bed. Very productive.

Overnight call sucks donkey balls. Best to equip yourself with a spoon.

AndyMilonakis said:
Overnight call sucks donkey balls. Best to equip yourself with a spoon.

If you equip yourself with a knife I think you can have a similar affect on people.

yaah said:
If you equip yourself with a knife I think you can have a similar affect on people.
Nah...that would be homicidal. Andy says no to violence.

AndyMilonakis said:
Andy says no to violence.

Yeah right!!!!!!!!!!!
ANd this is a guy who has a fight record of 2-1-1???????????

quant said:
Yeah right!!!!!!!!!!!
ANd this is a guy who has a fight record of 2-1-1???????????
Andy says no to violence now. See Andy hasn't gotten into any fights since taking that anger management class. Andy is now a nice man with happy feelings all of the time.