2 away's at same program?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

(nicedream)

Fitter Happier
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I plan on applying derm, and will be able to do 4 away's consecutively (16 weeks). Would it be strange if I did 2 of them at my top choice program? It wouldn't be 2 consecutively, it would be 4 weeks, then 8 weeks at different programs, then 4 weeks back at the top choice program. I thought it would be a great chance to develop relationships with the program/faculty and possibly get involved with some research the second time there. What does everyone think? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

i think it's excessive. one away rotation should be enough to get a sense for the program and meet people.

i think it's excessive. one away rotation should be enough to get a sense for the program and meet people.

Thanks, okay, one vote against. Even in a field so competitive, and where connections are so important?

...and three...The way I see it, if you can't make a favorable impression in one month, man, it ain't gonna happen.

Make that two votes against.

And even yes in a competitive field when connections are important - because the MORE connections you have the more likely you are to match.

Okay, fair enough. It's actually not a match, you just apply during internship (DO) - but I won't be able to get around much during internship I assume. How many opportunities for away rotations are there during internships normally?

Okay, fair enough. It's actually not a match, you just apply during internship (DO) - but I won't be able to get around much during internship I assume. How many opportunities for away rotations are there during internships normally?

Usually none.

Which is even more reason to use your elective time as a student to meet people in the field. Whether its a match or not has no bearing on the fact that there is no reason I can see to do two rotations at the same place. As noted above, if you can't make a positive impression in 4 weeks, the it probably won't happen at all.

Small competitive fields require you to know as many people as possible. What if you spent 8 weeks at one place and they hated you (not that that would happen, mind you). You've lost the opportunity to meet others, and make favorable impressions.

So you do as many aways as you can, and keep in contact with those you meet at the various programs. Email, calls, etc. - maybe under the guise of just asking for advice about the field, not necessarily their program. Meet them at national derm meetings, etc.

What's the saying - don't put all your eggs in one basket?

Usually none.

Which is even more reason to use your elective time as a student to meet people in the field. Whether its a match or not has no bearing on the fact that there is no reason I can see to do two rotations at the same place. As noted above, if you can't make a positive impression in 4 weeks, the it probably won't happen at all.

Small competitive fields require you to know as many people as possible. What if you spent 8 weeks at one place and they hated you (not that that would happen, mind you). You've lost the opportunity to meet others, and make favorable impressions.

So you do as many aways as you can, and keep in contact with those you meet at the various programs. Email, calls, etc. - maybe under the guise of just asking for advice about the field, not necessarily their program. Meet them at national derm meetings, etc.

What's the saying - don't put all your eggs in one basket?

Thanks for the input. I agree and will take your advice.