USMLE 196 on highest NBME, 228 on UWSA 2, 233 on Step 1!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Edited

Below average USMD medical student, took 4 NBMEs and UWSA 2.

NBME 19 - 156 (early January)
NBME 17 - 182 (late January)
NBME 15 - 194 (early February)
NBME 16 - 196 (early March)
UWSA 2 - 228 (one week before)
Step 1 - 233

Goal was to simply pass, though I wanted to break 210.

Here is what I did:
Completed 75-80% of uworld, FA 60-70%, pathoma 2x, sketchymicro 4x

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Good news: you're trending up.

What are the dates on each of the NBMEs? And what's your pace right now for questions?

Reactions: 1 users
Good news: you're trending up.

What are the dates on each of the NBMEs? And what's your pace right now for questions?

NBME 19 - 156 (early January)
NBME 17 - 182 (late January)
NBME 15 - 194 (early February)
NBME 16 - 196 (a day ago)

Trying to do 40-80 questions a day plus FA content review, focusing on weak areas. I haven't really studied biochem or anatomy much yet, so I'll hit those areas hard. There were lots of biochem questions on NBME 15 and 16. I just need a 194 - but ideally above 200.

Reactions: 1 user
I was in ur position last year man, the highest I got on any NBMEs was a 207 on nbme 18. I took UW 1 and got 230 and UW 2 and got 217. In the end I didnt end up taking USMLE because I felt like I was gonna fail. Im a DO student and ended up scoring average on COMLEX. Try taking UW 2 and see how you do. I should have taken USMLE because I probably wouldve broken 200 too, because if I scored average on COMLEX, its hard to believe I'd fail usmle. Who knows though.

The NBME grading is terrible. You get mid 70s - high 70s = 200-210 range. You need to break like 80+ to get 215 or something whereas UW SA, 67% is like 220 and people say UW 2 grading is within 5 points.

Best advice is the last week is crucial, review first 3 chapters of pathoma and go over everything in FA entirely. Literally just read and try to memorize FA esp the rapid review section, no videos.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I was in ur position last year man, the highest I got on any NBMEs was a 207 on nbme 18. I took UW 1 and got 230 and UW 2 and got 217. In the end I didnt end up taking USMLE because I felt like I was gonna fail. Im a DO student and ended up scoring average on COMLEX. Try taking UW 2 and see how you do. I should have taken USMLE because I probably wouldve broken 200 too, because if I scored average on COMLEX, its hard to believe I'd fail usmle. Who knows though.

The NBME grading is terrible. You get mid 70s - high 70s = 200-210 range. You need to break like 80+ to get 215 or something whereas UW SA, 67% is like 220 and people say UW 2 grading is within 5 points.

Best advice is the last week is crucial, review first 3 chapters of pathoma and go over everything in FA entirely. Literally just read and try to memorize FA esp the rapid review section, no videos.

I have heard this as well. My friend got around 88% correct on NBME 16 and only got a mid 230 score.

Praying for a generous curve on the real test. I heard 60%-70% is required to pass....hoping it's closer to 60% haha

Do the last 1000 UWorld questions, and then do as many incorrects as you can. Active learning and active repetition with UWorld is likely going to pay off more than trying to re read first aid or pathoma again. Go through FA rapid review in the day or two prior to the test. I would also consider taking a UWSA maybe 4 days prior to test day, but if you have no option to delay, might not be worth the time.

Do the last 1000 UWorld questions, and then do as many incorrects as you can. Active learning and active repetition with UWorld is likely going to pay off more than trying to re read first aid or pathoma again. Go through FA rapid review in the day or two prior to the test. I would also consider taking a UWSA maybe 4 days prior to test day, but if you have no option to delay, might not be worth the time.
I agree with this 100%. You have 17 days left. I'd try to bump the pace to at least 100Q/day so then you'd finish in ~10 days + a rest day = 11 days. This leaves you with 6 study days til test day (+1 day prior for rest day). Use the remaining 6 days to go through as many incorrects as you can, ideally ramp up your questions to 120+ for incorrects since you've seen them all once. And if you have Anki cards or some form of other active learning, I'd recommend that as well. These last 2-3 weeks are crucial for tying everything together more than just cramming bits of information.

Edit: Actually, you still have 2 UWSAs left too. This will cut into your remaining studying days, but I highly recommend taking them. Don't take anymore NBMEs. Hopefully, you'll score better on UWSAs and let it boost your confidence.

Thanks for all the great feedback guys.

I have 900 uworld questions left, and my average is JUST over 60%. Mostly untimed, random, tutor mode. This is my first run through, of course.

Thanks for all the great feedback guys.

I have 900 uworld questions left, and my average is JUST over 60%. Mostly untimed, random, tutor mode. This is my first run through, of course.
I’d ramp up to 200Qs a day at this point if you’re not there. That’ll give you blocks similar to exam and also work on stamina.

I’d ramp up to 200Qs a day at this point if you’re not there. That’ll give you blocks similar to exam and also work on stamina.
This is just tough to do on a first pass though. There's so much to glean by taking the time to understand the question and how to approach it.

Quick update:

So my exam is next Wednesday, and I am feeling really burned out at this point. My original plan is to do another 300-400 uworld questions, finish going over Pathoma again, review most of first aid, and go over sketchymicro one more time all within the next 8 days or so. But after looking at things honestly, this plan is clearly unrealistic - I simply don't have the drive anymore to do everything I just listed. So my question is what should I focus on over the next week?

At this point, I will be happy with a 194.

Members don't see this ad :)
Guys, I think I am going to do one of the UWSA exams...should I do 1 or 2? Also, does the UWSA tell you which questions you got wrong and allow you to review just like uworld? Or is it like NBME where it doesn't tell you anything?

I just can't read FA anymore - my brain just shuts off anytime I open that book. I will do a UWSA, focus on pathoma, and go over any other weak areas. I think at this point, keeping a good/healthy mental attitude is much more important than trying to cram as much information as I can.

Last edited:
do uwsa 2 man, more accurate

Sounds good.

It seems that most people claim that UWSA tests over predict their actual score. I guess I want to do the "easier" one just to feel good about myself for next week. Would you still recommend uwsa 2? I heard uwsa 1 tends to over predict a bit more...

Sounds good.

It seems that most people claim that UWSA tests over predict their actual score. I guess I want to do the "easier" one just to feel good about myself for next week. Would you still recommend uwsa 2? I heard uwsa 1 tends to over predict a bit more...

DEFINITELY do UWSA2, do not do UWSA1. There is no point in doing uwsa1 because it overpredicts by so much, your score won't come close to it.

Update!

So I just finished UWSA 2 and got a 228 with around 67% correct!

While I am ecstatic about this result, I am a bit concerned since many/most people claim that UWSA 2 over predicts the actual score.

My exam is next Wednesday, and my goal is still to simply pass with a 194+. Though I would like to break 200. My most recent NBME (16) was taken 1.5 weeks ago with a score of 196. My main question/concern is what should I do in the next week or so other than thoroughly review UWSA2? I still have around 20% of uworld left, but I really don't feel like finishing them. Part of me just wants to throw in the towel and roll the dice next Wednesday....

Update!

So I just finished UWSA 2 and got a 228 with around 67% correct!

While I am ecstatic about this result, I am a bit concerned since many/most people claim that UWSA 2 over predicts the actual score.

My exam is next Wednesday, and my goal is still to simply pass with a 194+. Though I would like to break 200. My most recent NBME (16) was taken 1.5 weeks ago with a score of 196. My main question/concern is what should I do in the next week or so other than thoroughly review UWSA2? I still have around 20% of uworld left, but I really don't feel like finishing them. Part of me just wants to throw in the towel and roll the dice next Wednesday....

Congrats, go through everything for first aid and try and memorize it. CRAM all the small details. I would stop doing questions and also go over the first 4 chapters of pathoma. Also, I would watch all of dirtyusmle's youtube videos. That's probably the best thing you can do in 1 week imo. No more taking exams, you've taken the most predictable test and it showed you can pass.

Congrats, go through everything for first aid and try and memorize it. CRAM all the small details. I would stop doing questions and also go over the first 4 chapters of pathoma. Also, I would watch all of dirtyusmle's youtube videos. That's probably the best thing you can do in 1 week imo. No more taking exams, you've taken the most predictable test and it showed you can pass.

Are you talking about the entire book, or just the final 10-20 pages of super high yield factoids?

Are you talking about the entire book, or just the final 10-20 pages of super high yield factoids?
The entire book and the rapid review section. That's my opinion though because theres just so many small details that you can cram within a week by just reviewing first aid (i.e. pharyngeal arches/lysosomal/glycogen storage/biochem etc).

Commenting to follow along with your story. Hopefully today is going well for you!

Last edited:
#Post-exam update!

Done!

So I just finished my test, and it feels incredible to FINALLY be done, provided that I passed.

I just want to briefly share a few general post-exam feelings, of course nothing specific because of confidentiality. Overall, I felt that the test is very fair, and it is not nearly as difficult or hopeless as I thought. There weren't a lot of questions where I had absolutely no idea what's going on, and I felt that my studying has been fairly effective. I probably would not have done appreciably better even with an extra month of studying.

Now comes the score prediction part...I THINK I probably passed....

As you all know, I scored a 228 on UWSA 2 a week before the test and a 196 on NBME 16 2.5 weeks before the test. Realistically, my score probably falls between these two numbers, likely around the 210 range, if I get lucky. All I have to do is wait for 3 weeks until my score comes out...

#Post-exam update!

Done!

So I just finished my test, and it feels incredible to FINALLY be done, provided that I passed.

I just want to briefly share a few general post-exam feelings, of course nothing specific because of confidentiality. Overall, I felt that the test is very fair, and it is not nearly as difficult or hopeless as I thought. There weren't a lot of questions where I had absolutely no idea what's going on, and I felt that my studying has been fairly effective. I probably would not have done appreciably better even with an extra month of studying.

As you all know, I scored a 228 on UWSA 2 a week before the test and a 196 on NBME 16 2.5 weeks before the test. Realistically, my score probably falls between these two numbers, likely around the 210 range, if I get lucky. All I have to do is wait for 3 weeks until my score comes out...

If I could I would buy you a beer through the electrons of the internet; congrats! Go celebrate homie.

#Post-exam update!

Done!

Congrats! Did any of my suggestions help at all?

Congrats! Did any of my suggestions help at all?

Haha sort of! So the day before the test I just went over all the pharmacology sections in First Aid. I actually did not spend ANY of my prep time reviewing biochemistry, and I think it turned out alright...

But of course, it's always possible that I am falsely optimistic right now...

Haha sort of! So the day before the test I just went over all the pharmacology sections in First Aid. I actually did not spend ANY of my prep time reviewing biochemistry, and I think it turned out alright...

But of course, it's always possible that I am falsely optimistic right now...

Aw okay. Well let us know how you did. Hoping the best!

Next Wednesday will be 3 weeks after my exam, which means my score should be released in less than a week...

I did a pretty good job forgetting about everything related to the step 1 for the past 2 weeks, but now as score-release day gets closer, I am getting nervous again...

Quick question - does your medical school find out about your score before you do? If so, any ideas how much earlier your school finds out?

Next Wednesday will be 3 weeks after my exam, which means my score should be released in less than a week...

I did a pretty good job forgetting about everything related to the step 1 for the past 2 weeks, but now as score-release day gets closer, I am getting nervous again...

Quick question - does your medical school find out about your score before you do? If so, any ideas how much earlier your school finds out?

I think they find out the same day but a couple of hours earlier...

So I got my score back today, and I am extremely grateful for what I got - 233! In a way, given the history of my poor NBME performances, I did not think it was possible for me to score anywhere near a 230 - I was perfectly content to simply pass with a 200 or even lower.

Like I said right after I took my exam, I thought the test was very fair, and there really weren't a lot of questions where I had no idea what was going on. I made a few lucky guesses, and I didn't feel horrible coming out of the exam.

Having said all that, LUCK MOST DEFINITELY played a role in my final outcome; none of my weak areas were heavily emphasized, and the topics I knew well, I did REALLY well. My preparation was also suboptimal. I only did around 2300/2700 uworld questions (untimed tutor, by subject - in the low 60s) and didn't pay much attention to First Aid. I also almost completely ignored biochemistry and anatomy in my dedicated studying, though fortunately I made a few lucky guesses on the exam. I scored a 228 on UWSA 2 around a week before the test and did very little studying (other than going over UWSA 2) in that final week.

If I were to make one recommendation to anyone who hasn't taken the exam yet - DEFINITELY do UWSA 2! Many people (including my classmates) have told me that UWSA 2 was the closest to the real deal, and most of them scored within range of their UWSA 2 score. My experience is exactly the same. The NBME exams are important, but don't feel overly dejected if you score low on them.

If any of you have any questions, I will gladly answer them, either here or via PM. Thanks to everyone for your support!

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 15 users
I scored nbme: 18 200, NMBE 21: 209, UWSA: 217, and UWSA 2: 230, I have my test in 5 days please any suggestions, advice and prayers are welcome.

I scored nbme: 18 200, NMBE 21: 209, UWSA: 217, and UWSA 2: 230, I have my test in 5 days please any suggestions, advice and prayers are welcome.
What is your target score? If it is 205-215, you can go ahead and sit for the exam. If you are targeting 220+, postpone.

Congrats. Got the exact same UWSA2 score 1 week out (228) and took step 2 days ago. Hoping for a 225-230.

Just wanted to say thank you for this post! It gave me ALOT of hope while I was studying. My highest NBME was a 200. Didn’t even do well on UWSA2, but pulled off a 227 on step. Didn’t think that was possible.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Just wanted to say thank you for this post! It gave me ALOT of hope while I was studying. My highest NBME was a 200. Didn’t even do well on UWSA2, but pulled off a 227 on step. Didn’t think that was possible.
Ive had a similar experience with the NBMEs and my exam is scheduled for 4 days from today, I just took UWSA1 and scored 198. I was really hoping for a boost in confidence, but now I feel so lost and don't know how much to delay. A 220+ would be ideal for the real thing, but I really just don't know what to do anymore. If you don't mind sharing what you did, I'd greatly appreciate it.

This gives me hope. I had similar scores to you. However, the form I took a few days ago was ridiculous.
It was very heavy on experimental questions and felt more like the newer NBMES. No biochem. It did not feel like uworld at all.
I was exhausted and I guessed and I don't think most of my guesses were right. At this point, I am praying I passed.