221 on NBME 22. 220 on NBME 20. 3 Weeks to step 1.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

phagocytosis41

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
Hey all, have 6 weeks until step 1 at the end of Jan.
My baseline NBME 16 Is a 200. Not sure whether to be disappointed or not as my goal is a 230 or higher if possible.
My dedicated has officially started today.
I know most people raise their scores but right now using UW, B&B, Pathoma sprinkling along sketch micro, pharm, path prn.
Can I still get a 230 if I work hard?

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah you have plenty of time. I know many people that started low before dedicated (even a failing score) and got to over 240 after dedicated. Buckle up, study really hard, and be honest with your short comings while studying. Review uWorld diligently and make sure you understand why you missed a question. If you got a question right but you ~guessed~, you need to review it like you missed it. Make Anki or some other repitition cards for daily content review.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey all. In addition to reviewing UWORLD and doing NBMEs should I also do Amboss until my step 1 at the end of JAN? Not sure if I should just focus on the uworld. Anyone with experience can give me some input?
Btw my uworld average is a 70%. NBME 16, 18, 20 in earliest order each 1 week apart: 200, 211, 220

Hey all, in order from the earliest to latest NBMEs: 200, 211, 220, 223 for NBME 16, 18 (Yes i took it too earlier my fault), 20, 22 and I still have to take NBME 21, 23, 24 and the best predictor UWS2.
I still have 3 weeks to go and still reviewing FA and UWOrld with some B&B and sketch micro/pharm for those that I am weak at. Any advice on how to raise this to a 230+? I know what to focus on but I am discouraged by my last of improvement this last week.
Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all, in order from the earliest to latest NBMEs: 200, 211, 220, 223 for NBME 16, 18 (Yes i took it too earlier my fault), 20, 22 and I still have to take NBME 21, 23, 24 and the best predictor UWS2.
I still have 3 weeks to go and still reviewing FA and UWOrld with some B&B and sketch micro/pharm for those that I am weak at. Any advice on how to raise this to a 230+? I know what to focus on but I am discouraged by my last of improvement this last week.
Thanks.
If you know what to focus on...then focus on it! I think you’re on track to break 230 if you took it tomorrow! Don’t forget about the free 120 and Ben Whites review of it bc he’s got some good test taking tips in there. What really helped me was to try to just treat it like a game. It lowered my stress a little and allowed me to focus better without overthinking. Do your best to not burn out and at least maintain your current pace. It’s almost over. You got this!

I did 20+ points better on Step 1 than I did on any of my NBMEs and UWSA2 was about 5 points off from my actual score. Try not to let the nbmes get in your head too much. I’ve never met anyone who did better on nbmes than step although I read it on here and Reddit a lot.

Reactions: 1 user
hmm
If you know what to focus on...then focus on it! I think you’re on track to break 230 if you took it tomorrow! Don’t forget about the free 120 and Ben Whites review of it bc he’s got some good test taking tips in there. What really helped me was to try to just treat it like a game. It lowered my stress a little and allowed me to focus better without overthinking. Do your best to not burn out and at least maintain your current pace. It’s almost over. You got this!

I did 20+ points better on Step 1 than I did on any of my NBMEs and UWSA2 was about 5 points off from my actual score. Try not to let the nbmes get in your head too much. I’ve never met anyone who did better on nbmes than step although I read it on here and Reddit a lot.
Thanks for your advice, appreciate it. yeah i'm studying hard mainly using UWORLD and FA. Tbh got sick of B&B although I love it.
Anything else ? I take step 1 around Jan 28th.

Oh yeah. First 3 chapters of pathoma. Probably watched it 3 x in the weeks leading up. That’s all I got.

Oh yeah. First 3 chapters of pathoma. Probably watched it 3 x in the weeks leading up. That’s all I got.
hey do you know how to calculate nbme 23?
A little disappointed I got 61 wrong, which is probably like a 212-215. Sadly because I wish I got at least a 220. I got 220 on the previous 2 and then a 212. NBME 23 was brutal. Im going over my incorrects but a little dishearted. I study my heart out and a little scared now lol.
Any advice

HI all, A little sad Because I got 61 wrong on NBME 23, which is like a 210ish. I got 221s on the previous NBMEs i took, NBME 20 and 22. A little dishearted because not sure what to think. I Thought NBME 23 was super hard but I'm going over my incorrects. I still have until the end of Jan to take the step 1, but Should I be worried?
My uworld average is a 69.8 and I feel pretty confident except just studying HY tables from FA and UWORLD. I will take UW SA2 to really determine the most accurate but given I got a 221, and 221, and now 213 What Should I expect on step 1? I really want a min of a 230 since I want to do psych...

hey do you know how to calculate nbme 23?
A little disappointed I got 61 wrong, which is probably like a 212-215. Sadly because I wish I got at least a 220. I got 220 on the previous 2 and then a 212. NBME 23 was brutal. Im going over my incorrects but a little dishearted. I study my heart out and a little scared now lol.
Any advice
I don’t know the calculations.

Just try not to get in your head too much about the nbme tests. I don’t remember anything specific about 23, but I remember it felt like I was having a panic attack the whole time. It was hard! Use them for practice and review. Don’t obsess about the score.

I took 23, 18, and I think one other nbme and the difficulty is higher on those than on the real deal. I felt like it was more like somewhere between uwsa2 and the free 120. As I said before, the nbme exams under predicted me by over 20 points.

You’re almost at the finish line. What helped me more than anything at this point was this:

Just gotta be confident that you’ve been doing this right and go for it.

I agree I think you are on track for 230+ my scores were similar and I scored 230+. Three weeks is quite a bit of time left pound your weakness.

HI all, A little sad Because I got 61 wrong on NBME 23, which is like a 210ish. I got 221s on the previous NBMEs i took, NBME 20 and 22. A little dishearted because not sure what to think. I Thought NBME 23 was super hard but I'm going over my incorrects. I still have until the end of Jan to take the step 1, but Should I be worried?
My uworld average is a 69.8 and I feel pretty confident except just studying HY tables from FA and UWORLD. I will take UW SA2 to really determine the most accurate but given I got a 221, and 221, and now 213 What Should I expect on step 1? I really want a min of a 230 since I want to do psych...
Merging with your original thread, as I think it's more a continuation of the discussion than a totally new thread.

hey all, got a 230 on UW Sim 2. A little happy but also ambivalent. Is this a hope I can get a 230?
Have you done the free 120? If not do it and read through Ben Whites explanations. If you’re like most people, you’ll score with +/- 5 points of sim2. Good luck. Don’t burn out!

Have you done the free 120? If not do it and read through Ben Whites explanations. If you’re like most people, you’ll score with +/- 5 points of sim2. Good luck. Don’t burn out!
i didn't, not sure if i should there are mixed reviews on it. i already did 4-5 previous nbmes. coudl i just review the answers w/o doing it? I don't have time, I take step 1 tomorrow and i am not doing the free 120 today, I'm either relaxing or doing last min reviews. I assume I'd do well on it but I don't seem to be learning from practice exams anymore. I think I peaked and I just have to focus on my weaker topics like genetics and certain path like GI that I somehow never really spent time on. But its fine since GI is easy for me to study.

I still think you should at least review the questions on his site then and not do the actual timed questions. There’s just a couple times where he kind of goes into general test taking stuff on Ben Whites website. It helped me on game day. Also, the questions are easy compared to what you’ve been doing up to this point so it was a confidence boost for me.

If it will in any way burn/stress you out then don’t bother.

Good luck tomorrow! Rootin’ for ya!

Last edited:
3 wks only for dedicated? How's the possible? We get 2 months.

Anyways, if you have the stomach for it - maybe do couple hours a day of Zanki bchem and Duke deck...?

When did you start doing timed + mixed questions and when did you start doing full exams or take your baseline?

3 wks only for dedicated? How's the possible? We get 2 months.

Anyways, if you have the stomach for it - maybe do couple hours a day of Zanki bchem and Duke deck...?

When did you start doing timed + mixed questions and when did you start doing full exams or take your baseline?
lol dude, we had only 2 weeks back in my MS2 days but im an MS3 now. I technically had 2 months for dedicated as an MS3.

i didn't, not sure if i should there are mixed reviews on it. i already did 4-5 previous nbmes. coudl i just review the answers w/o doing it? I don't have time, I take step 1 tomorrow and i am not doing the free 120 today, I'm either relaxing or doing last min reviews. I assume I'd do well on it but I don't seem to be learning from practice exams anymore. I think I peaked and I just have to focus on my weaker topics like genetics and certain path like GI that I somehow never really spent time on. But its fine since GI is easy for me to study.
what score did you get? I have the same stats as you