19 most recruited physician specialties...Guess who's on the list?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coroner

Peace Sells...but who's buying?
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Spoiler alert: It's not Pathology. No surprise there.
But what did surprise me was Radiology at #4. Ahead of IM and many other specialties...really?

https://www.beckersasc.com/benchmarking/19-most-recruited-physician-specialties.html

19 specialties (b).png

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Surprised not to see ENT. They are hell to find. My niece is a psychiatrist and I not shocked to see it at number 3.

I too am surprised to see Rads up there. Weren’t they running mainstream articles a few years back about how their job market was in dire straights?

Meanwhile in path: “There’s been a 40% undercount in the number of practicing pathologists, but the job market is still healthy...”

Members don't see this ad :)
Just thinking out loud, but I wonder what it would take for someone like me ( most all military folks of yore) who did a rotating clinical internship and then did essentially GP for a couple years ( although decades ago) to become an NP if catastrophe came, it would be cool if it was easy to prepare for and fall back on, for any folks badly screwed in path.

Last edited by a moderator:
When they call “physician assistant” a specialty

Reactions: 3 users

Look at #2.

The corporate admin folks are moving at breakneck speed to replace physicians with cheaper and vastly under-trained nurses. CA just passed an independent practice bill for NPs. Terrible implications for patient care.

Reactions: 2 users
Look at #2.

The corporate admin folks are moving at breakneck speed to replace physicians with cheaper and vastly under-trained nurses. CA just passed an independent practice bill for NPs. Terrible implications for patient care.

Sometimes I don’t even see Pathology in a list of medical specialties for some reason. Not in terms of jobs but on other medical related sites, like we don’t even exist lol.

Reactions: 1 user
This is thread is harsh. Its like taunting disabled children.

Of all the problems pathology faces not sure we should add "Rickrolling" click bait on SDN...

Also because something is being highly recruited does not even remotely mean it is 1.) lucrative 2.) desirable by any means.

Reactions: 1 users

No doubt. While I value the roles of our colleagues in the medical field, to list allied health professionals on a survey listed as "Physician specialties" is misleading.

Sometimes I don’t even see Pathology in a list of medical specialties for some reason. Not in terms of jobs but on other medical related sites, like we don’t even exist lol.

The lab has always been the overlooked red-headed step child in hospitals. I've seen quite a few hospital websites without listing pathologists on their medical staff roster. Granted, we are not "providers" in the sense of direct hands on patient care like an internist, but acknowledgment would be nice. But hey, we get the title of being, "The Doctors' Doctor"!

No doubt. While I value the roles of our colleagues in the medical field, to list allied health professionals on a survey listed as "Physician specialties" is misleading.

The lab has always been the overlooked red-headed step child in hospitals. I've seen quite a few hospital websites without listing pathologists on their medical staff roster. Granted, we are not "providers" in the sense of direct hands on patient care like an internist, but acknowledgment would be nice. But hey, we get the title of being, "The Doctors' Doctor"!

I like to play a game where I bring up an in-office lab website and try to find the pathologist. I can probably solve a rubik's cube faster.