This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pluto98

2+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I care about lay prestige because I care more to impress the people around me than a few doctors. And both have medical prestige anyway.

The driving factor, is the difference in competitiveness between the 2 schools, not lay prestige although that is still a consideration

Lol because people will clearly be disappointed at someone for going to Penn.

Reactions: 1 users
I feel that the OP may disagree but again, it's really a personal preference. Like some would love to shell out big bucks to get a Aston Martin when the same car goes for a lot cheaper with a Jag tag... This world is just so diverse.
If they disagree so strongly, I find it odd they would feel the need to start an x vs. y thread to gather opinions! Clearly they’ve already made up their mind.
I care about lay prestige because I care more to impress the people around me than a few doctors.
E55A8CFD-777E-452D-B579-CEA417CD61EA.gif

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I highly doubt Yale cant fill its class with 522+ scorers. My bet is that they might have changed admissions approach to value other factors which might make an applicant successful in the Yale system in particular.

Small detail, but I noticed based on the interview stats sheet Yale provided at the interview day they had accepted ~50% of their 600 interviewees to fill their 100ish seats (can’t remember exact numbers off the top of my head), unusual for a t20. Maybe a point for discussion, I was wondering why so many people have been passing up Yale as of recently and somewhat decrease in ranks/stats? (I am in the same position deciding for schools as OP + a few other schools)

I care about lay prestige because I care more to impress the people around me than a few doctors. And both have medical prestige anyway.

The driving factor, is the difference in competitiveness between the 2 schools, not lay prestige although that is still a consideration

Choose your school for yourself, not for others. Yes people will be impressed when you say you go to either school, but the novelty/impressiveness of it will wear off in two minutes and whomever you’re telling will soon go back to focus on their lives, not yours. There’s the hundreds of people accepted at HMS that got us all beat in terms of prestige right now lol

• Haha
Small detail, but I noticed based on the interview stats sheet Yale provided at the interview day they had accepted ~50% of their 600 interviewees to fill their 100ish seats (can’t remember exact numbers off the top of my head), unusual for a t20. Maybe a point for discussion, I was wondering why so many people have been passing up Yale as of recently and somewhat decrease in ranks/stats? (I am in the same position deciding for schools as OP + a few other schools)

Choose your school for yourself, not for others. Yes people will be impressed when you say you go to either school, but the novelty/impressiveness of it will wear off in two minutes and whomever you’re telling will soon go back to focus on their lives, not yours. There’s the hundreds of people accepted at HMS that got us all beat in terms of prestige right now lol

Last edited:
you should withdraw your acceptances to medical school and apply to McKinsey

gotta impress the laypeople

/s + derailed thread smh

Reactions: 2 users
The ironic thing is that in the span of 20 yeas, there's really no change in terms of school quality or anything tangible between Penn and Yale. If we moved this conversation to 1999 or 2000, no one would argue that Yale beats Penn hands down, even in medical prestige (IIRC, Yale was a solid t5 back then). Again, our perception is influenced by what's right in front of us. I will say that the slide of Yale ranking has everything to do with their resarch dollars and has nothing to do with their reputation as a top school. Therefore, assume one's career span of 20 to 30 years, this idea that Penn is definitely a better school probably doesn't hold water. If you are interested in winning grants and doing research for the rest of your career as a MD/PhD and you are in the market for a job, maybe you should pick Penn over Yale not because it has a better reputation but because you are more likely to win grants and all that. For medical students, it's a completely different set of considerations.

Seriously, what is the point of this thread? I think walter is a lot less 50/50 than what was implied in the original post. It seems your decision is set on Yale. Congratulations, have fun impressing your friends, and please, can we get a mod to close this thread?

Reactions: 2 users
Seriously, what is the point of this thread? I think walter is a lot less 50/50 than what was implied in the original post. It seems your decision is set on Yale. Congratulations, have fun impressing your friends, and please, can we get a mod to close this thread?

Last edited:
they accepted 38% post interview
Haha I stand corrected. I’m on corona break so have time and dug up the sheet. I remembered me and fellow interviewees at my day excited at the relatively high acceptance rate since we all had a good chance. Actual Interviewed 644, accepted 270 (42%, not as crazy but still up there for the small class), matriculated 104. 19 MD/PhDs. Anecdotally, on interview day, I was told most people accepted md/phd end up matriculating so I guess the bigger discord between accept/matriculate is in MD.
Just for anyone interested (literally I have too much time, thanks corona) median cGPA = 3.83, sGPA =3.79 MCAT = 518. Just sharing interesting information, not saying other peeps stats should not impact your decision.

I am like 70/30. I’m playing devils advocate
70/30 on which? Because from your posts, it seems like you are pretty much set on Yale.

I will say it seems like ultimately where you go to medical school isn't that important at the end of the day other than small nuances in programs. Residency programs, on the other hand, matter a whole lot more and training at different institutions in this case is incredibly different. It seems like the match lists at Yale and Penn are relatively similar in terms of the calibre of residency programs. Over the past 4 years, Yale sent anywhere from 20-30% of their class to Harvard affiliated programs.

Given that
A) The outcomes are similar between the two schools
B) You seem to be more concerned with lay prestige than medical reputation (which is your prerogative, after all, only you have to live with your choices NOT anyone else on this forum)
C) Your preference for a stress-free system

It seems like Yale would better fit your preferences. I'm not sure how much money plays a factor for you but it seems relatively little. Either way, you can only go right here so congrats on an awesome set of choices. I'm sure you'll thrive wherever you go - whether you become a phenomenal doctor or not is dependent on you and not the school you pick.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
70/30 on which? Because from your posts, it seems like you are pretty much set on Yale.

I will say it seems like ultimately where you go to medical school isn't that important at the end of the day other than small nuances in programs. Residency programs, on the other hand, matter a whole lot more and training at different institutions in this case is incredibly different. It seems like the match lists at Yale and Penn are relatively similar in terms of the calibre of residency programs. Over the past 4 years, Yale sent anywhere from 20-30% of their class to Harvard affiliated programs.

Given that
A) The outcomes are similar between the two schools
B) You seem to be more concerned with lay prestige than medical reputation (which is your prerogative, after all, only you have to live with your choices NOT anyone else on this forum)
C) Your preference for a stress-free system

It seems like Yale would better fit your preferences. I'm not sure how much money plays a factor for you but it seems relatively little. Either way, you can only go right here so congrats on an awesome set of choices. I'm sure you'll thrive wherever you go - whether you become a phenomenal doctor or not is dependent on you and not the school you pick.

Last edited:
Thank you for the excellent post! I am 70/30 leaning towards Yale. My only two hesitations are 1) Penn has slightly more medical prestige 2) Penn might be completely free (still waiting on fin aid) 3) Penn probably has better clinical training 4) Penn has better residencies

The end all be all however, is match lists which both seem comparable. Thats my line of thinking right now
Unrelated but are you by any chance related to the great @Walter_Raleigh?

• Haha
  • Wow
Update: Financial aid packages are in. Yale (100k) vs Penn (170k), is this a significant enough difference to justify one over the other in cost alone?

Thank you to everyone who has participated so far.
You must absolutely ignore the additional 70k from Penn and follow the prestige! It's the most important factor in medical school decisions. You won't even regret this decision when that additional expense of the prestige is compounded every year. You can even impress people with your student debt balance...think of that prestige!! Go Bulldogs!!

Is that the cost? Or how much aid they’re providing for you?
Edit: whichever way it is, ask yourself if you would be happy right now being gifted $70,000. More like $100k after interest. You get the point.
It’s been beaten to death in this thread that these are two top schools that won’t hinder options for residency hahaha

Last edited:
Update: Financial aid packages are in. Yale (100k) vs Penn (170k), is this a significant enough difference to justify one over the other in cost alone?

Thank you to everyone who has participated so far.

70K is a lot of money. Unless you have that kind of money sitting around, or already know that your life goal is to work on protein 1837461 and the only lab in the world that studies it is at Yale, go for Penn and don’t look back! No bad options here, prestige is a nonissue. Save that money for something else that’ll make you happy in the future.

You must absolutely ignore the additional 70k from Penn and follow the prestige! It's the most important factor in medical school decisions. You won't even regret this decision when that additional expense of the prestige is compounded every year. You can even impress people with your student debt balance...think of that prestige!! Go Bulldogs!!

Last edited:
don't u prefer yale AND it's cheaper? seems like everything points to yale...
unless ur trying to find someone to convince you that penn is worth the extra money
Edit: or i'm guessing ur maybe gonna attempt to have Penn match it, in which case ur weighing the pros and cons of the schools in the meantime?

don't u prefer yale AND it's cheaper? seems like everything points to yale...
unless ur trying to find someone to convince you that penn is worth the extra money
Edit: or i'm guessing ur maybe gonna attempt to have Penn match it, in which case ur weighing the pros and cons of the schools in the meantime?

Last edited: